WMA International Touring Car Championship Season II

• Thread starter ITCC_Andrew
  • 1,272 comments

Which points system should we use?

• 1: 40 per race, 20 pole position, 0 points second in qualifying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Okay. I'll run some tests on each one and get back to you when I make my decision.
Also, those hp and weight figures you mentioned in the first post: Are those minimum or maximum figures?

Answered below.

HP is maximum and weight minimum i think.

You're correct. I prefer if people ran at spec, meaning not running below.

Im well up for this, will this be in a reasonable gmt time slot please ?

Yes. :) It'll be an early night-time thing, approximately 9:30 PM your time. :)

One more thing, guys, I'm thinking of offering prizes (to be finalized) and putting the videos on YouTube. And, I promise you, they'll be good prizes.

Yeah man. :) I'm excited, we've got 7 entirely confirmed entries, jonno182 (who will hopefully have time around 9 PM his time) and 2 unconfirmed entries.

Anyways, I wanted to elaborate a bit:

• I will be offering prizes to the Top 5,
  • I am considering offering everyone a downloadable copy of Race '07, with an expansion pack of choice going to those who finish in the top 5
  • I will be (most likely) buying a capture card (about time,) and will likely be able to post a video of the race on YouTube.
  • I (with other WMA members) might add commentary/interviews to the videos I mentioned above. :)

^ The video thing is optional, I'm not sure if everyone wants to be in a YT video, and I'm also not sure if people want to be interviewed. Again, it'd go really well with a "realistic" theme, but, might not be as much of an "arrive and drive" series.

I don't know how many events I can make, but I will help where I can with additional commentary :lol:

After the race at Indy... :dopey: You'd be the best commentator ever. Just stay out of Turn one. :sly:

Indy race? Ooh, sounds interesting. Speaking of venues, I think Daytona would be a fantastic venue for the series. Also, how many laps can we expect from each race at each venue? I bring this up because I tested my VW Golf earlier at Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course, and the tires held up remarkably well. I did the test with both Prime and Option tires and after using up a quarter of a tank of fuel, both types showed no significant drop-off in performance. Amazing! I'll be testing my Scirocco and Impreza there later to see how their tires hold up as well as how they fare in terms of lap time. I'll get back to you with my decision on what vehicle I plan on using once testing is complete.

Hi guys!

I am intrested to join this racing series, new drivers are still allowed?

Yes. Welcome! Would the time fit you in Italy? I hope so. New drivers are always welcome!

Indy race? Ooh, sounds interesting. Speaking of venues, I think Daytona would be a fantastic venue for the series. Also, how many laps can we expect from each race at each venue? I bring this up because I tested my VW Golf earlier at Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course, and the tires held up remarkably well. I did the test with both Prime and Option tires and after using up a quarter of a tank of fuel, both types showed no significant drop-off in performance. Amazing! I'll be testing my Scirocco and Impreza there later to see how their tires hold up as well as how they fare in terms of lap time. I'll get back to you with my decision on what vehicle I plan on using once testing is complete.

I'm glad to hear it. This really relieves most of the worries from last season (tire wear hurt the FF cars a bit later on in the stints too badly.)

So, hearing that the tires held up for a quarter of a tank on Scirocco gas mileage, that's a huge relief (I didn't know if I was under-driving the FF cars, and not pushing the tire wear hard enough, but, it seems like we're getting consistent readings across the board.)

Daytona Road Course can be a consideration, it was certainly a topic on Facebook with the other World Motorsports Association (WMA) board members.

The Indy race was the Indy 500 Dave ran.

Yes. Welcome! Would the time fit you in Italy? I hope so. New drivers are always welcome!

I'm glad to hear it. This really relieves most of the worries from last season (tire wear hurt the FF cars a bit later on in the stints too badly.)

So, hearing that the tires held up for a quarter of a tank on Scirocco gas mileage, that's a huge relief (I didn't know if I was under-driving the FF cars, and not pushing the tire wear hard enough, but, it seems like we're getting consistent readings across the board.)

Daytona Road Course can be a consideration, it was certainly a topic on Facebook with the other World Motorsports Association (WMA) board members.

The Indy race was the Indy 500 Dave ran.

I was actually testing my Golf, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Scirocco fared well in that department, too. Or the 2005 Impreza Sedan I bought earlier that will also be tested. I was also surprised to find out that the Golf and Scirocco have their steering wheels on the right, considering in their country of origin, the steering wheel is usually on the left.
Also, aren't FF cars usually lighter than FR or 4WD? And just out of curiosity, would the Renault Clio Sport count as having 3 doors even though the engine is behind the driver?

I was actually testing my Golf, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Scirocco fared well in that department, too. Or the 2005 Impreza Sedan I bought earlier that will also be tested. I was also surprised to find out that the Golf and Scirocco have their steering wheels on the right, considering in their country of origin, the steering wheel is usually on the left.
Also, aren't FF cars usually lighter than FR or 4WD? And just out of curiosity, would the Renault Clio Sport count as having 3 doors even though the engine is behind the driver?

Well, I'll add a bit of clarification to the rule about 3 doors; the third door has to be a feasible way to enter the car. (Imagine you've got two big trucks blocking the two front doors, can you fit into the hatch to drive away?)

Yes, most FF cars are usually lighter than FR and 4WD, that is correct. In this series, also, most FF cars will run with low (or no) ballast. That means that the cars will be homologated with more weight if they're 4WD or FR. It also means that FF cars will be homologated with less weight.

The homologation figures will be based on a timed race, the time it takes for the car to finish the race is the PAx (performance adjustment factor.) Each car will be slightly different (within most likely 10 seconds) at the end of the race, following last season's specs. Then, we can add a bit of weight to faster cars, to make those final 10 seconds disappear; voilà.

If I remember correctly, the Scirocco runs a little better on gas mileage than the Golf, but only slightly. I don't think the difference is noticeable. However, the difference is drastic, in comparing a Red Bull X2011 to a Scirocco. So, yes, my mistake for mixing up the Golf and Scirocco, but, rest assured, it doesn't make a large difference.

But, could you please tell me which generation of Golf you tested? Golf Mk. VI R? Golf V? Golf IV? Golf IV R32?

Well, I'll add a bit of clarification to the rule about 3 doors; the third door has to be a feasible way to enter the car. (Imagine you've got two big trucks blocking the two front doors, can you fit into the hatch to drive away?)

Yes, most FF cars are usually lighter than FR and 4WD, that is correct. In this series, also, most FF cars will run with low (or no) ballast. That means that the cars will be homologated with more weight if they're 4WD or FR. It also means that FF cars will be homologated with less weight.

The homologation figures will be based on a timed race, the time it takes for the car to finish the race is the PAx (performance adjustment factor.) Each car will be slightly different (within most likely 10 seconds) at the end of the race, following last season's specs. Then, we can add a bit of weight to faster cars, to make those final 10 seconds disappear; voilà.

If I remember correctly, the Scirocco runs a little better on gas mileage than the Golf, but only slightly. I don't think the difference is noticeable. However, the difference is drastic, in comparing a Red Bull X2011 to a Scirocco. So, yes, my mistake for mixing up the Golf and Scirocco, but, rest assured, it doesn't make a large difference.

But, could you please tell me which generation of Golf you tested? Golf Mk. VI R? Golf V? Golf IV? Golf IV R32?

It's a Golf Mk. VI R, which was part of a DLC that also included the Scirocco R , Lamborghini Aventador, 2011 Mini Cooper S, 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman, and Jaguar XJR-9. By the way, the 2007 Mini Cooper S fits the regulations for both power and weight, so I think it could be added to the list of eligible cars.

Yesterday i had a look at my garage and i think the Audi S3 '02 would also fit pretty well into the grid. Or the Audi A3 3,2 quattro it's engine is a little too big but it looks way more modern :)
Might be worth testing it.

Last edited:
Hi!

If EST is UTC - 5 it's ok for me.

I have some questions regarding the racing series.

The cars allowed are the ones in the list provided by you, and no tuning is allowed except for aero, rims, ecc... That's right?

How often do the races take place? There is a weekly/monthly frequence? Every driver must use a car diffrent to the others?

Hi!

If EST is UTC - 5 it's ok for me.

I have some questions regarding the racing series.

The cars allowed are the ones in the list provided by you, and no tuning is allowed except for aero, rims, ecc... That's right?

How often do the races take place? There is a weekly/monthly frequence? Every driver must use a car diffrent to the others?

Glad to hear your schedule will let you in.

As for the cars, you can do whatever you want to make them meet the specs. Aero is allowed, power-adders (air intake etc.,) suspension, driveline... It's all okay.

Yesterday i had a look at my garage and i think the Audi S3 '02 would also fit pretty well into the grid. Or the Audi A3 3,2 quattro it's engine is a little too big but it looks way more modern :)
Might be worth testing it.

Okay, I've had a rethink. I'll change the spec engine size to 3.2. Any car requested with a motor of 3.2 litres or smaller can be requested.

It's a Golf Mk. VI R, which was part of a DLC that also included the Scirocco R , Lamborghini Aventador, 2011 Mini Cooper S, 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman, and Jaguar XJR-9. By the way, the 2007 Mini Cooper S fits the regulations for both power and weight, so I think it could be added to the list of eligible cars.

The list of eligible cars was meant to give people ideas about the types of cars they can choose to request. In this case, if someone requests a spec for the Audi S3, or the MINI Cooper S, I will put them in, too. It's a matter of tastes, so I'm letting people decide which cars they want.

I also tested a 1998 Audi S4 at Motegi East, High Speed Ring, Madrid, and Daytona Road Course. I think this car could be added to the list as well.
Also, the wear rate on the tires at those tests was never really an issue. I'm guessing that if we were to use the Racing Mediums or even the Racing Softs, the tires would still hold up well for the race.

We used racing softs last year, they have far to much grip for how little power, going with the harder compounds makes them move around on track more, it has nothing to with wear rates, more to make it more fun,

We used racing softs last year, they have far to much grip for how little power, going with the harder compounds makes them move around on track more, it has nothing to with wear rates, more to make it more fun,

Did you use Racing Mediums last season?

Could someone help me, ive purchased the impreza wrx sti do I have to leave it standard 276 bhp or can I upgrade to get the most bhp out of it for this series ?

9pm gmt is great for me could I have the subaru impreza sedan wrx sti spec c type ra '05 ?

Yes. See below please.

I also tested a 1998 Audi S4 at Motegi East, High Speed Ring, Madrid, and Daytona Road Course. I think this car could be added to the list as well.
Also, the wear rate on the tires at those tests was never really an issue. I'm guessing that if we were to use the Racing Mediums or even the Racing Softs, the tires would still hold up well for the race.

Yes. I like the S4, but, I'm not sure about engine size... Please allow me to check it.

This is entirely true. Thanks Dave!

Did you use Racing Mediums last season?

Racing softs were option, Racing mediums were prime. That was a fun tire, but offered more grip than I'd like.

Could someone help me, ive purchased the impreza wrx sti do I have to leave it standard 276 bhp or can I upgrade to get the most bhp out of it for this series ?

It's your decision how you make the horsepower and weight. The power limiter, and usage of it, is unrestricted, following the W.M.A.'s theory of "diminishing gains," taken from Grassroots Motorsport's magazines idea (that cars can only get faster up to a certain point, before you start spending copious amounts of money and still getting no faster.)

I recommend focusing on the handling more than just top-end/acceleration performance. In the end, the most balanced car will win, with the best driver.

Preseason testing Driver's Meeting!

Hi guys, I'm announcing a new "Driver's Meeting", where I can field all of your questions, for every given week.

This week's Driver's Meeting video will be a simple, clearly worded discussion of the event to come this weekend.

All non-WMA members should take this opportunity to send "ITCC_Division_1" a friend request, or accept the friend request as this will be the lounge that will host ITCC Season II.

After that, everyone should meet in the ITCC_Division_1 lounge for the preseason testing this weekend, on Saturday, at 9:30 PM GMT, with the car(s) of choice for the testing session.

A simple practice session (15 minutes) will follow. Drive around, while allowing the faster drivers to pass, (it's not a race, you can't win practice :dopey:.)

After that, a qualifying session (15 minutes) will follow. This qualifying session is a multi-car session. That means that everyone will be on track at one time, trying to set the fastest lap they can.

Then, we'll begin the first of three races: the shortest race, Race 1. Race 1 will be in order of fastest-first, meaning that the drivers who run fastest in qualifying will be gridded (positioned on the grid) towards the front. We will then have a standing start (cars will be stationary, after warm-up lap,) exactly as done in Formula 1 and British Touring Car Championship. This ensures that every car is in its correct position, at the race start, and gives the added drama of a false-start penalty (applied post-race) or a bad start (caught sleeping like Dave.) The race will be approximately 10 minutes long.

Following Race 1, Race 2 will be a reverse-finishing-order standing start. See above for start procedure. This ensures that the winner from Race 1 has to pass the entire field :eek: to win Race 2, and significantly aids those who aren't as fast at that track. The race will be approximately 20 minutes long.

Upon the finish of Race 2, Race 3's grid is set. Those who were sent to the back of Race 2's grid will again find themselves towards the front (ensuring that sandbagging is not a valid option, as winning two races is worth more points than one race.) Race 3's duration will be 30 minutes, with a rolling start based on the reverse-finishing-order of Race 2.
Rolling starts will follow one formation lap. The drivers will form into two lines; odd-numbered grid positions on the inside, even numbered grid positions on the outside. Upon the time when the leader crosses the start/finish line, the green flag is displayed, and the race is started.

This layout of races is run specifically as it is to ensure that clean, close racing is had, with no chance of sandbagging, over-aggressive passing, or poor sportsmanship of any other kind. While we can't ensure that the racing will remain entirely clean, this set-up seems to be the best option.

Are there any questions?

If I need to upgrade a car to a certain level, I only use parts that can be swapped out if the car's performance gets to be too high. I plan on doing this for all cars I'll be testing for this series. All of them are well above the minimum weight at stock, so I have had to do some weight reduction to bring them down to the recommended 1200kg limit.
Also, regarding the race weekend format: How many pitstops are we gonna be required to make in Race 3?

If I need to upgrade a car to a certain level, I only use parts that can be swapped out if the car's performance gets to be too high. I plan on doing this for all cars I'll be testing for this series. All of them are well above the minimum weight at stock, so I have had to do some weight reduction to bring them down to the recommended 1200kg limit.

Yes. But, don't take your cars below 1050 kg., please.

The horsepower's up to you. I do like this strategy, though. Everyone's different, to each their own.

Yes. See below please.

Yes. I like the S4, but, I'm not sure about engine size... Please allow me to check it.

This is entirely true. Thanks Dave!

Racing softs were option, Racing mediums were prime. That was a fun tire, but offered more grip than I'd like.

It's your decision how you make the horsepower and weight. The power limiter, and usage of it, is unrestricted, following the W.M.A.'s theory of "diminishing gains," taken from Grassroots Motorsport's magazines idea (that cars can only get faster up to a certain point, before you start spending copious amounts of money and still getting no faster.)

I recommend focusing on the handling more than just top-end/acceleration performance. In the end, the most balanced car will win, with the best driver.

Preseason testing Driver's Meeting!

Hi guys, I'm announcing a new "Driver's Meeting", where I can field all of your questions, for every given week.

This week's Driver's Meeting video will be a simple, clearly worded discussion of the event to come this weekend.

All non-WMA members should take this opportunity to send "ITCC_Division_1" a friend request, or accept the friend request as this will be the lounge that will host ITCC Season II.

After that, everyone should meet in the ITCC_Division_1 lounge for the preseason testing this weekend, on Saturday, at 9:30 PM GMT, with the car(s) of choice for the testing session.

A simple practice session (15 minutes) will follow. Drive around, while allowing the faster drivers to pass, (it's not a race, you can't win practice :dopey:.)

After that, a qualifying session (15 minutes) will follow. This qualifying session is a multi-car session. That means that everyone will be on track at one time, trying to set the fastest lap they can.

Then, we'll begin the first of three races: the shortest race, Race 1. Race 1 will be in order of fastest-first, meaning that the drivers who run fastest in qualifying will be gridded (positioned on the grid) towards the front. We will then have a standing start (cars will be stationary, after warm-up lap,) exactly as done in Formula 1 and British Touring Car Championship. This ensures that every car is in its correct position, at the race start, and gives the added drama of a false-start penalty (applied post-race) or a bad start (caught sleeping like Dave.) The race will be approximately 10 minutes long.

Following Race 1, Race 2 will be a reverse-finishing-order standing start. See above for start procedure. This ensures that the winner from Race 1 has to pass the entire field :eek: to win Race 2, and significantly aids those who aren't as fast at that track. The race will be approximately 20 minutes long.

Upon the finish of Race 2, Race 3's grid is set. Those who were sent to the back of Race 2's grid will again find themselves towards the front (ensuring that sandbagging is not a valid option, as winning two races is worth more points than one race.) Race 3's duration will be 30 minutes, with a rolling start based on the reverse-finishing-order of Race 2.
Rolling starts will follow one formation lap. The drivers will form into two lines; odd-numbered grid positions on the inside, even numbered grid positions on the outside. Upon the time when the leader crosses the start/finish line, the green flag is displayed, and the race is started.

This layout of races is run specifically as it is to ensure that clean, close racing is had, with no chance of sandbagging, over-aggressive passing, or poor sportsmanship of any other kind. While we can't ensure that the racing will remain entirely clean, this set-up seems to be the best option.

Are there any questions?

How many pit stops will Race 3 of each meeting have?

How many pit stops will Race 3 of each meeting have?

There should be one pit stop in Race 3, if needed (testing to confirm,) to switch, since both tire compounds (option and prime) must be used. :P My idea from last season, led to some interesting strategies, and some interesting final laps (different strategies, but, the cars will still side-by-side, with the faster car behind, leading to some nail-biting final seconds.)

There should be one pit stop in Race 3, if needed (testing to confirm,) to switch, since both tire compounds (option and prime) must be used. :P My idea from last season, led to some interesting strategies, and some interesting final laps (different strategies, but, the cars will still side-by-side, with the faster car behind, leading to some nail-biting final seconds.)

That answers my question. Thank you.
Also, I checked the S4's engine size earlier, and it wasn't even above 2.8 liters in displacement.

That answers my question. Thank you.
Also, I checked the S4's engine size earlier, and it wasn't even above 2 liters in displacement.

:eek: Awesome! I don't want to see the "heavy hitters" like BMW M3s and things joining into our series for the less-appreciated cars, that happen to be more fun.

Anyways, I'm confirming that there will be YouTube videos covering the season (with commentaries,) and a total of $200 prizes for those in the top 5 in points at the end of the season. :)

1st: $60 PSN Store credits (by Personal Message,) $20 "Steam" package for Race '07
2nd: $40 PSN Store credits, $20 "Steam" package for Race '07.
3rd: $20 PSN Store credits, $20 "Steam" package for Race '07.
4th: $20 PSN Store credits
5th: $20 PSN Store credits

The "Steam" package is a gift purchase of Race '07 (downloadable), plus various downloadable contents for PC, sent to a Steam account.

This theme goes hand-in-hand with an expansion of the WMA I'm considering.

In the case that a person in the top three in points doesn't have a PC capable of running the system requirements of Race '07, the amount of $20 from the Steam package will be added to the PSN Store credits. This will be an option, also.

Last edited:
Prizes?!?!

Now watch practically the whole racing series section sign up :P

But, Mel, you're very generous for these prizes! Thanks!

Prizes?!?!

Now watch practically the whole racing series section sign up :P

But, Mel, you're very generous for these prizes! Thanks!

I told you "pay attention to ITCC thread" on Facebook, didn't I? :dopey: I mean what I say most times.

If the whole racing series section signs up, the percentage of winning prizes to not will be much worse than anticipated, and I will feel bad.

But, that'd be fun racing!

Back