::::: World Super GT Championship | Round 1 | Results Pending :::::

• Thread starter Masi_23
  • 1,044 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree there is a difference in tyre wear for cars.
But i don't think our races are long enough for it to make a difference.
If we had races where were using 2 tanks of fuel then we might see the benefit of using a car that is easier on tyres.

But i don't think our races are long enough for it to make a difference.

They are. If we even out the field based on fresh tire single lap performance, the CELICA will definitely be at a disadvantage over race distance. I imagine the 4WD Impreza also chews up tires quickly.

There are significant differences in tire wear between the GT300 cars. Maybe not to the point of requiring another pitstop but it is a factor. I couldn't decide whether to go with the RX7 or the CELICA so I did very extensive testing on many tracks and found out the RX7 is easier on tires. The tires on the RX7 wear out evenly on all 4 corners, whereas on the CELICA the fronts wear out faster than the rears. With the fronts worn, the CELICA's times suffer much sooner than on the RX7.

This observation was confirmed in the pre-season races. With fresh tires my CELICA is capable of keeping pace but with 40-60 miles under the belt the RX7's start eating me up. Therefore I don't think it's entirely fair comparing single lap times to establish competitiveness of the cars for endurance races.

I haven't done much tire wear testing on the other cars. Fuel consumption doesn't seem to be a factor.

That's not quite true. Each car has a different balance of front and rear tyre wear, but that's sort of to be expected. They are different cars. In terms of when you reach say, 50% tyre wear on each one they are all more or less the same. Over the distances we're driving anyway.

Tyre wear is largely down to driving style. The way I drive, the tyres on the Celica wear perfectly evenly, but I find the rears go away quickly with the RX7. I like to slide the back of the car around a lot, that's why the Celica suits me.

This is why it's important to choose a car that suits your style. It's not a case of one being better than the other, they're simply different. It's a matter of matching the maximum achievable pace of the cars, and then drivers chosing a car that is good for them.

Tyre wear is largely down to driving style. The way I drive, the tyres on the Celica wear perfectly evenly, but I find the rears go away quickly with the RX7. I like to slide the back of the car around a lot, that's why the Celica suits me.

OK that's consistent with what I said even if a bit surprising that our driving styles are that different. But imagine you're going to increase the weight of the Celica from 1050 to 1100kg (which is one of the proposals)...what kind of effect will that have on its balance and tirewear? With the RX7 already at 1100kg, no difference there. It just seems to me that messing with the cars weight is contraproductive and unnecessary - the weight is one of the things that is known and cannot be reduced to gain an unfair advantage so why not focus on policing the power instead?

OK that's consistent with what I said even if a bit surprising that our driving styles are that different. But imagine you're going to increase the weight of the Celica from 1050 to 1100kg (which is one of the proposals)...what kind of effect will that have on its balance and tirewear? With the RX7 already at 1100kg, no difference there. It just seems to me that messing with the cars weight is contraproductive and unnecessary - the weight is one of the things that is known and cannot be reduced to gain an unfair advantage so why not focus on policing the power instead?

I'm sorry, what? How did you get from my post to "focus on policing the power instead"?

I'm sorry, you're saying that each of these cars are within 0.1 seconds of each other over a two minute lap? A TWO minute lap. Are you absolutely sure that you couldn't get any of those cars to go any faster?

maybe some of them because i have not driven the mr-s or standard subaru much before. i could maybe improve on the set ups on some of the cars i just dont have time to do 30-40 laps in each car:)

I'm sorry, what? How did you get from my post to "focus on policing the power instead"?
That was partially in response to your post on the previous page (about the 300hp/1200kg proposal) and the other proposals with weight increases.

That was partially in response to your post on the previous page (about the 300hp/1200kg proposal) and the other proposals with weight increases.

you can just set the limit to 305 or 295 and then just let the gt300 cars join the track and from then it is not allowed to get into settings you can see people doing sttings so no problem:)

Fair enough, but that's a different discussion.

Adding weight need have no detrimental effect. You can adjust the position of the ballast to suit the car. Indeed, adding weight could be seen as a positive thing for some cars. If you had ballast in your Celica, you could move it to adjust the weight distribution and that would affect the tyre wear.

Regarding adding weight, it was simply done as an test to see how the cars would stack up were all of them given the same base stats. The Garaiya is 1175kg base, so the cars all need to be jacked up to at least that number if they're going to be the same. I agree that it's easier to focus on just modifying either power OR weight instead of both, but for that to work the stat that you're not modifying should probably be equal for all cars. The power is the easier stat to manipulate because of the limits on ballast additions, so by that logic the weight should be kept static. Hence, the weight increases for testing. 1200 was chosen because it's a nice round number.

Fair enough, but that's a different discussion.

Adding weight need have no detrimental effect. You can adjust the position of the ballast to suit the car. Indeed, adding weight could be seen as a positive thing for some cars. If you had ballast in your Celica, you could move it to adjust the weight distribution and that would affect the tyre wear.

Regarding adding weight, it was simply done as an test to see how the cars would stack up were all of them given the same base stats. The Garaiya is 1175kg base, so the cars all need to be jacked up to at least that number if they're going to be the same. I agree that it's easier to focus on just modifying either power OR weight instead of both, but for that to work the stat that you're not modifying should probably be equal for all cars. The power is the easier stat to manipulate because of the limits on ballast additions, so by that logic the weight should be kept static. Hence, the weight increases for testing. 1200 was chosen because it's a nice round number.

so, is adding ballast permitted even though it will have a negative effect on the PP system?

so, is adding ballast permitted even though it will have a negative effect on the PP system?

Nothing is permitted at the moment. Some of us are just playing around with the new adjustments to see what happens. The rules are on the front page. Masi may choose to allow adding ballast if he wishes.

Anything that is marked as testing should not be taken to be indicative in any way of the current or future rules of the series. It's testing.

Nothing is permitted at the moment. Some of us are just playing around with the new adjustments to see what happens. The rules are on the front page. Masi may choose to allow adding ballast if he wishes.

Anything that is marked as testing should not be taken to be indicative in any way of the current or future rules of the series. It's testing.

i understand this, but i believe there is a quali session being held later and so i just wanted to know if i would be allowed to shore up the handling of my car beforehand by playing around with the ballast...

i'm guessing the answer is no - for now at least - and that i should drive my car in stock state as indicated in OP?

i understand this, but i believe there is a quali session being held later and so i just wanted to know if i would be allowed to shore up the handling of my car beforehand by playing around with the ballast...

i'm guessing the answer is no - for now at least - and that i should drive my car in stock state as indicated in OP?

Until Masi states explicitly otherwise, I wouldn't. Ask him when you enter the quali room. He's the one running it.

I could see the benefits for a longer race where balance is better than outright speed, but I doubt you'll see enough of a return from adding weight to make it worthwhile for qualifying anyway.

Until Masi states explicitly otherwise, I wouldn't. Ask him when you enter the quali room. He's the one running it.

I could see the benefits for a longer race where balance is better than outright speed, but I doubt you'll see enough of a return from adding weight to make it worthwhile for qualifying anyway.

good point... will the room number for the qualifying session be posted on this thread or is it on an invite only basis?

Regarding adding weight, it was simply done as an test to see how the cars would stack up were all of them given the same base stats.
Understood. Interesting test, I just don't like it at all. IMO it's just got too many issues compared to the alternative described on P30.
I agree that it's easier to focus on just modifying either power OR weight instead of both.
Good to see that we can agree on at least one point :)

I can put up a qualification room in about 40 minutes. 22.00 PM CET.
I'll post the room number IN THIS POST.

Official Suzuka Qualification room: 1472-6118-3787-3250-3503

Last edited:
For those like me who are not ready to qualify yet, practice room up.

1472-6118-4130-9224-0833 Wrong number.:dunce:

I'm doing my first laps on the Arta on Suzuka. :eek: The car is a beast.

One more driver converted. :bowdown:

Last edited:

1472-6118-4130-9244-0833

i've tried joining your room mr but i get a message saying that the room can't be found

1472-6118-4130-9244-0833

Room not found

I can put up a qualification room in about 40 minutes. 22.00 PM CET.
I'll post the room number IN THIS POST.

Official Suzuka Qualification room: 1472-6118-3787-3250-3503

OFFICIAL QUALYFICATION ROOM UP! 👍

WSGTC Round 1. Official Suzuka Qualifying

GT500

D1.1: 1:58.403 - XsApollo - Nissan YELLOWHAT YMS TOMICA GT-R
D1.2:
D1.3:
D1.4:
D1.5:
D1.6:
D1.7:

D2.1:
D2.2:
D2.3:
D2.4:
D2.5:
D2.6:
D2.7:

Waitinglist:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

GT300

D1.1: 2:06.620 - GTP_Aizen_93 - Autobacs ARTA GARAIYA '08
D1.2:
D1.3:
D1.4:
D1.5:
D1.6:
D1.7:

D2.1:
D2.2:
D2.3:
D2.4:
D2.5:
D2.6:
D2.7:

Waitinglist:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:

Official Qualyfication:
XsApollo
GTP_Aizen_93

the arta is a very very fantastic and fun car to drive the only reason i a changed to the rx-7 is the tyre wear. and the mazda sounds very good but good luck with the garayia if i not was so serious about this championship i would join you in team garayia for sure:)

I think I´m stepping out of this Campionship. This game
has obviously too many "ratholes" for cheaters...With so
many rules and regulations You can´t police, will make it
just worser than it is already..for ex. the rigidity improvement.

Just tried my old RX-7 in Kamy´s lounge, I put a stage 3
turbo in it, downgraded the hp to 337, and it was 0,5-1 sec
faster than my normal RX-7.

Maybe it would be best to allow everything, and put a hp
limit instead....well I don´t know, need some sleep.

Todays aforism by Stiff Little Fingers :

All things are relative with
cousins everywhere
Hard-nosed blue-eyed boys,
intelligent and fair
You gotta pitch in for your kith and kin
Holding the line to save our skin
Pound for pound we'll take the shilling
It takes a man to make a killing
Action men must sterling be
Fight for freedom but not for free

dopey: