Would you rather?

• Thread starter motortrend
  • 22,046 comments
911. Panamera's are slow.
You drove a Panamera?

creepy-condescending-wonka.jpg

No, seriously. Have you? Their freaking everywhere in NJ/NY.

No I haven't, but having watched their performance at local tracks in front of me didn't particularly impress me either. They look like they'd handle like a boat too.

911. Panamera's are slow.

The Panamera Turbo S (the one I'm comparing) has a 0-60 time of 3.6 seconds.

The 911 Carrera (the other car in the comparo) has a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds.

Neither are slow, but the Panamera is much faster. In a straight line, at least, which is what I'm certain you were talking about. :sly:

The Panamera Turbo S is 4500lbs with the driver.

I wouldn't call it 'slow' but compared to other cars in it's price range its selling point shouldn't be performance...
This. It's straight line performance is absolutely unacceptable.

The Panamera Turbo S is 4500lbs with the driver.

And? The Camaro ZL1 (which isn't a luxury sedan by any means) weighs over 4,300lbs with a driver, and has more power, and isn't as fast.

I wouldn't call it 'slow' but compared to other cars in it's price range its selling point shouldn't be performance...

What other high performance luxury four doors are there in this price range? I can think of 2 immediately - Aston Martin Rapide S and Mercedes Benz S65 AMG.

The Rapide gets 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, and the S65 in 4.1 seconds. In no way would I take the Panamera over the Aston or MB, but it's a far faster car.

Also, I don't know that Porsche sells the Panamera solely as a performance car, so I'm not really sure where you got that. It's a luxury sedan with performance, like the two cars I compared it with just now.

This. It's straight line performance is absolutely unacceptable.

3.6 seconds =/= slow. Sorry Slash, but it's obvious.

---

Also, I'll just drop this here.

Description of video: Like getting rear ended by a freight train from an alternate dimension.

Last edited:
And? The Camaro ZL1 (which isn't a luxury sedan by any means) weighs over 4,300lbs with a driver, and has more power, and isn't as fast.

Comparing a 50k Chevy with a 200k Porsche? :lol:

What other high performance luxury four doors are there in this price range? I can think of 2 immediately - Aston Martin Rapide S and Mercedes Benz S65 AMG.

The Rapide gets 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, and the S65 in 4.1 seconds. In no way would I take the Panamera over the Aston or MB, but it's a far faster car.

Also, I don't know that Porsche sells the Panamera solely as a performance car, so I'm not really sure where you got that. It's a luxury sedan with performance, like the two cars I compared it with just now.

It's fast when you compare it to other 4 door luxury sedans but slow when you look at other possible options for 200k. Which I why I'd take the 911 which is a third of the price.

The Maybach, duh. :dopey:

Oh, so now more money equals better performance? Tell that to the stock STi that can destroy a Lamborghini on the track, unless it's a straight line.

It's fast when you compare it to other 4 door luxury sedans but slow when you look at other possible options for 200k. Which I why I'd take the 911 which is a third of the price.

Like he said, it's not that expensive because of the performance. It's a luxury car WITH performance. Obviously it's not going to perform like a go kart.

Price had nothing to do with what I said. :rolleyes: I was pointing out that it's lighter, more powerful, and slower not as fast.

Harry6784
It's fast when you compare it to other 4 door luxury sedans but slow when you look at other possible options for 200k.

Which is completely pointless, because no one cross shops a Panamera and Lamborghini Gallardo or Audi R8, or other $200k supercars.

Harry6784
Which I why I'd take the 911 which is a third of the price.

And not as fast, which is odd, because it seems you always go for the fastest option, not the cheapest.

Price had nothing to do with what I said. :rolleyes: I was pointing out that it's lighter, more powerful, and slower not as fast.

So the same amount of engineering/funding went into the Camaro's suspension/electronics as did the Porsche's? :lol:

I prefer performance over luxury which is why I chose the Carerra. Straight lines it may not be much but around a track, the Panamera and Carrera are really close. Get the Carrera S and forget about it.

The Rolls Royce Phantom, I'm not much of a fan of the maybach and I always had a good vibe about the cars made under Rolls Royce.

So the same amount of engineering/funding went into the Camaro's suspension/electronics as did the Porsche's? :lol:

Probably. The ZL1's suspension is a 13 year old technology, and has been used on cars like the Ferrari 458 and 599 and Audi R8. The Porsche's suspension has been around for 8 or so years.

The length of time its been around doesn't mean more money was spent on its engineering. The Camaro isn't the flagship car of GM, that goes to the Corvette.

Back