WRC, ERC and national rallying 2024Rally 

This is it for Evans surely then, now or never. But you could say exactly the same for Neuville. Funny one though, knowing that arguably the two best drivers in the WRC are ruling themselves out of title contention but will still be hanging round to add a nice little asterix next to the name of whoever actually becomes champion. Very surprising decision from Kalle, but I do get it. Will be interesting to see what else he does.

Last edited:
This is it for Evans surely then, now or never. But you could say exactly the same for Neuville. Funny one though, knowing that arguably the two best drivers in the WRC are ruling themselves out of title contention but will still be hanging round to add a nice little asterix next to the name of whoever actually becomes champion. Very surprising decision from Kalle, but I do get it. Will be interesting to see what else he does.

Rumour is Ogier will contest 10 rounds, he will very much be in contention if that’s true. Definitely last chance saloon for Neuville with Tanak alongside him like you say.

The FIA know they need to do something with rallying. Be interesting to see what they present to the WRC.

Mikkelsen back to Hyundai, will share the 3rd car with Sordo and Lappi. Whilst also helping Hyundai develop their Rally2 machine.

And Hankook have won the tender to supply the WRC classes tyres from 2025 for an initial 3 years.

Just over a month away from Monte Carlo and the 2024 season and M-Sport are still yet to confirm their line ups. Here are the rumours so far:

Adrien Formaux is expected to remain at M-Sport in a full time role, unclear if this is full time in the top class or split with WRC2, but given lack of options I’d expect him to be doing a full campaign.

Pierre-Louis Loubet is expected to leave and join Toyota to drive the new Rally2 Yaris, will take his sponsor with him and join the Toyota development program.

Reports in Finland have suggested that Emil Lindholm is on the verge of leaving Hyundai to take the other Rally1 seat at M-Sport.

Expectations of a 3rd car are low due to budget constraints. Kris Meeke was rumoured to be in the hunt for a drive but it’s unlikely now.

I’d love to see a really top line driver in the Puma because, as Tanak proved last year, it can win just about everywhere. Tanak had a shot at victory in at least five or six events in 2023, there were errors both from him and the team and reliability issues but I wish he’d stuck it out for ‘24 because the potential was there. But Tanak being Tanak, once he’d lost faith he seemed to burn his bridges pretty quickly.

A steady experienced driver like Andreas Mikkelsen would make sense, or maybe a youngster like Oliver Solberg. I’m not particularly fond of Fourmaux. He’s alright, but he seems to have a bit of an attitude on him and he hasn’t really proved anything yet so I’m not sure why. He’s got a golden opportunity.

I’d love to see a really top line driver in the Puma because, as Tanak proved last year, it can win just about everywhere. Tanak had a shot at victory in at least five or six events in 2023, there were errors both from him and the team and reliability issues but I wish he’d stuck it out for ‘24 because the potential was there. But Tanak being Tanak, once he’d lost faith he seemed to burn his bridges pretty quickly.

A steady experienced driver like Andreas Mikkelsen would make sense, or maybe a youngster like Oliver Solberg. I’m not particularly fond of Fourmaux. He’s alright, but he seems to have a bit of an attitude on him and he hasn’t really proved anything yet so I’m not sure why. He’s got a golden opportunity.

Until they sort out their reliability it doesn’t really matter who they have imo. I feel for Tanak, he wants to win but like you say, he seems really easily put off a car and team if it doesn’t perform immediately for him. I hope Hyundai let him loose in 2024 with no team orders or preference for Neuville.

I think M-Sport tried to pursue Oliver Solberg, sponsorship seemed to be the stumbling block there, Solberg with his Monster backing and M-Sport with their Red Bull backing, which they can’t really afford to sever right now. Mikkelsen signing for Hyundai put that to bed but if he can’t get a full time drive for 2025 there he could be a future option.

Formaux needs to rein it in a bit for sure, he’s good, he won the British Rally Championship at a canter with zero prior knowledge of the stages for example. I think he just needs some good finishes in a row, build some confidence and reign his attitude in a bit. Reminds me of Ogier as a Citroen junior.

Yeah I missed that Mikkelsen had got the part-time Hyundai drive. Re-signing Tanak and Mikkelsen is an interesting move. Tanak is understandable, he’s possibly still potentially the best guy out there but it obviously didn’t end great last time, Mikkelsen seemed to struggle for confidence and wasn’t getting great speed out of the Hyundai last time he was there so I’m surprised he went back.

The talent pool just seems like a bit of a talent puddle at the moment, it seems like there are a group of six or seven drivers locked in for life who all just occasionally swap seats or go part-time to race GTs and others just perennially on the edge of a breakthrough but also never considered essential picks. Solberg is certainly one I’d like to see more of, but Suninen, Mikkelsen etc just seem to drop back down to WRC2 just as often as they get WRC chances.

Last edited:

Ireland’s bid for a 2025 WRC round is progressing well, with a decision expected early next year. They’re at the point of selecting a suitable base for the event.

Points system overhaul. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen:

I’m for it, should liven up Sundays action a bit. Until we get more entries, private or otherwise, it will at least keep everyone pushing.

They’ve also ratified the ruling to allow non-hybrid rally cars in a push to bring in more privateers and bridge the Rally2-Rally1 hybrid gap better.

Things are moving behind the scenes to get WRC into a better place. This won't however result in Rally2 becoming the premier class despite how much sense it should make. Sounds like Hyundai and Ford walk if that happened. So Rally1 is committed until 2027.

For the last two years I've said I hope the next generation of cars are based on the Rally 2 machines. Thankfully it seems this is an opinion that seems to be gaining traction. While watching coverage of Rally Japan I saw Dirtfish were discussing the possibility and the sense it would make if that decision is made.

• The Hybrid system is pretty much drop in/out Like we've seen with the recent regs that allow Hybridless Rally 1 entries so It shouldn't be too much trouble if they keep the Hybrids or Shelve them.
  • There is a great selection of Rally 2 machines already homologated that would form a great basis to work from.
  • Get rid of the expensive and complex current Rally 1 regs to hopefully even appeal to legacy manufacturers (Subaru, Fiat/Lancia Etc) that still even haven't got into Rally 2. If the Rally 2 regs form the basis for maybe an upgrade pack or kit for future Rally 1s then it gives the Rally 2's some great value. As of now the main issue with buying brand new Rally 2's is long term value because the depreciation on them is incredible at the moment. Imagine the opportunity to purchase an upgrade package that would make the car R1 Eligible? I don't see a downside to all this.
The only thing is if the R2 cars can be made safer? They have said the only reason they are comfortable with the new Rally 1's being so fast is because of the new safety cell and how effective it is (Fourmaux 22' Monte Etc)

The new cars will not have to be up to that standard however. I feel if they do go down the R2+ Route the horsepower figure will likely be 350 maybe stretching to the '17 - '21 cars of about 380 if they use Hybrid and no one ever complained about the safety of those cars.

I just think this is a home run, Getting cars that will be fun and spectacular to watch while being way more financially viable than not only the current Regs but even the '17 - '21 before.

What are others opinions on this?

Last edited:
For the last two years I've said I hope the next generation of cars are based on the Rally 2 machines. Thankfully it seems this is an opinion that seems to be gaining traction. While watching coverage of Rally Japan I saw Dirtfish were discussing the possibility and the sense it would make if that decision is made.

• The Hybrid system is pretty much drop in/out Like we've seen with the recent regs that allow Hybridless Rally 1 entries so It shouldn't be too much trouble if they keep the Hybrids or Shelve them.
  • There is a great selection of Rally 2 machines already homologated that would form a great basis to work from.
  • Get rid of the expensive and complex current Rally 1 regs to hopefully even appeal to legacy manufacturers (Subaru, Fiat/Lancia Etc) that still even haven't got into Rally 2. If the Rally 2 regs form the basis for maybe an upgrade pack or kit for future Rally 1s then it gives the Rally 2's some great value. As of now the main issue with buying brand new Rally 2's is long term value because the depreciation on them is incredible at the moment. Imagine the opportunity to purchase an upgrade package that would make the car R1 Eligible? I don't see a downside to all this.
The only thing is if the R2 cars can be made safer? They have said the only reason they are comfortable with the new Rally 1's being so fast is because of the new safety cell and how effective it is (Fourmaux 22' Monte Etc)

The new cars will not have to be up to that standard however. I feel if they do go down the R2+ Route the horsepower figure will likely be 350 maybe stretching to the '17 - '21 cars of about 380 if they use Hybrid and no one ever complained about the safety of those cars.

I just think this is a home run, Getting cars that will be fun and spectacular to watch while being way more financially viable than not only the current Regs but even the '17 - '21 before.

What are others opinions on this?
I agree. But based on the above from bin Sulayem and the action group put together by Dave Richards, it’s unlikely they’ll pursue the R2 route. Rather than R2+, I reckon they’ll go R1- . Which may or may not culminate in the same thing, but last time they took a lower class and adapted it for the top level, it didn’t result in many more entries like they hoped and ended up with a period of domination again.

It’s difficult to see what direction they will actually go. I think to everyone looking in, like you say, Rally2 adapted should be the obvious way, bigger restrictors, 320-340bhp and there’s a ready made field of 6 or 7 manufacturers in theory. But if you add in a hybrid unit which, for some manufacturers, sounds like a requirement to stay in the series (Ford and Hyundai), plus the costs involved, and we’re no better off in reality.

The million dollar question is if they can reduce the cost of Rally1 to a level where the speed and safety isn’t being sacrificed, the sustainability is still there but new manufacturers see worth in joining. Safety cells and hybrids are already standardised, so it’s difficult to see what they can do.

There are a few manufacturers apparently who want to join within the next few seasons, with various regulation tweaks coming in, but until it happens I won’t believe it. Feels like we’re more likely to lose M-Sport than we are to gain anyone.

M-Sport have been battling to stay there and stay competitive for so long now, without a great deal of money or support from Ford. What they’ve done, in essentially still being able to present themselves as if they’re still one of three factory entities, is pretty impressive. Tanak coming in and winning rallies last season should have opened the doors to another Ogier 17/18 golden era but it hasn’t and I really fear for them now. I don’t know how they bounce back from this because there’s not really anyone who can do what Tanak could. The Ogier years were never sustainable financially but they showed what that team could still achieve with an elite driver, as to a lesser extent did last year. They won’t get near those heights in ‘24.

M-Sport have been battling to stay there and stay competitive for so long now, without a great deal of money or support from Ford. What they’ve done, in essentially still being able to present themselves as if they’re still one of three factory entities, is pretty impressive. Tanak coming in and winning rallies last season should have opened the doors to another Ogier 17/18 golden era but it hasn’t and I really fear for them now. I don’t know how they bounce back from this because there’s not really anyone who can do what Tanak could. The Ogier years were never sustainable financially but they showed what that team could still achieve with an elite driver, as to a lesser extent did last year. They won’t get near those heights in ‘24.
It doesn’t surprise me that they fought for the non hybrid rally1 rule to be passed, any opportunity they can get to sell a low cost rally car, they’ll take it.

If they can survive 2024 without serious complications then I think they’ll be ok. Formaux really needs a good year if he’s in the car and whoever they put along side him needs to score.

I agree. But based on the above from bin Sulayem and the action group put together by Dave Richards, it’s unlikely they’ll pursue the R2 route. Rather than R2+, I reckon they’ll go R1- . Which may or may not culminate in the same thing, but last time they took a lower class and adapted it for the top level, it didn’t result in many more entries like they hoped and ended up with a period of domination again.

It’s difficult to see what direction they will actually go. I think to everyone looking in, like you say, Rally2 adapted should be the obvious way, bigger restrictors, 320-340bhp and there’s a ready made field of 6 or 7 manufacturers in theory. But if you add in a hybrid unit which, for some manufacturers, sounds like a requirement to stay in the series (Ford and Hyundai), plus the costs involved, and we’re no better off in reality.

The million dollar question is if they can reduce the cost of Rally1 to a level where the speed and safety isn’t being sacrificed, the sustainability is still there but new manufacturers see worth in joining. Safety cells and hybrids are already standardised, so it’s difficult to see what they can do.

There are a few manufacturers apparently who want to join within the next few seasons, with various regulation tweaks coming in, but until it happens I won’t believe it. Feels like we’re more likely to lose M-Sport than we are to gain anyone.
The thing that bothers me the most about R1- is that the cars have no basis on production models. I feel like the R2 has all the answers covered and I don't see a major downside. I think a hybrid could be involved if that's a sticking point for manufacturers. A large amount of cost would still be saved with basing the cars back on Roadcar shells and not the Category II Spaceframe regs.

I guess I'm more in favour of more wholesale changes because as a longtime Ford owner M-Sport fan I can see them going the same way as Citroen and I'm worried not just for the chances of M-Sport staying in the WRC but the health of the series overall.

After Ogier left for Toyota in '19 Citroen claimed the main reason for their exit was because there was a shortage of competitive drivers I thought "Pfft their just annoyed they don't have a french Seb to win everything anymore" But now It's clear to see they were absolutely right.

M-Sport Ford are in a way worse position then they were in during 2019. Who wants to spend upwards of £1,000,000 on a car and have no one worth putting in it?

Rumors pointing to Fourmeaux/Munster full season at M-Sport.
Confirmed now.

That gives us 6 full time drivers this season, although if Sebastien Ogier is competing in 10+ rounds as rumoured, it’ll feel like 7. 9 top cars at almost every event, assuming Hyundai and Toyota run a 3rd car at every round, potentially 4 for Toyota depending on Ogier and Rovanperäs plans.

To answer to social media question of who I’m backing? I think it’s between Evans and Tanak, but if Ogier is doing double figures in events, it would be silly to rule him out regardless of not doing a full season.

I’d fancy Evans as Tanak will just need to get reacquainted with the Hyundai. But Ogier could be the thorn in Evans side.

Last edited:
Back