~WrxScooby's Subies~ NEW Subaru Ascent

• Thread starter WrxScooby
  • 329 comments
Sucks about the damage.

STI fenders look really good on the wagons! Do that and a slight drop and it'd be perfect.

:ouch: That's a nasty hit! I sincerely hope nothing was damaged under the skin, chassis work is expensive.

I take it nobody saw/reported the accident? Have you informed the police and are you going to go through insurance? Nobody should have to cough up to fix their own pride and joy when some idiot bangs it up.

I like the sedan fenders by the way, it's a subtle change but makes it look a lot more tough 👍

No one was witness to the accident, but I did call the police to file a report. I only have liability on the wagon due to its age and the price I would have to pay. Plus I have confidence in my driving and it has been fine for almost 4 years till this, so looking at it I would have paid a lot more money in insurance over the past few years vs coughing up the cash for this now. The professional quote I got was for $1000.00 for new fender and paint match. If I can find a donor car and just pull its fenders myself I should be able to come out well below that number, and end up with a more aggressive sexy front end haha hoping this was just a blessing in disguise.

Sucks about the damage.

STI fenders look really good on the wagons! Do that and a slight drop and it'd be perfect.

Yup people are awesome, and I completely agree on the looks.

Cant wait to see that. You should be able to find 2 matching silver "coupe" fenders for about $400-$500.

Also let us know what coilovers you buy because a couple of us on the site are interested in doing the same.

Well like Phil I probably won't consider them this late in the year I'm probably a month or less away from the winter wheels going in.

Oh I like those 18" Enkei wheels a lot. Have you had any luck finding the fenders? Any luck on the coil overs? I think coil overs will be my next major purchase for my WRX. Just not sure what ones I want yet. Waiting for you to get some first. :)

I heard that a junk yard down in Phoenix has some 05 Imprezas but i don't know the details on the damage, but I haven't really been looking hard yet with the holidays other things kind came first. Ill start looking early 2014 for my donor. Also considering the weather isn't the nicest right now so if I got the fenders they will likely need paint and I don't want fresh paint dealing with this weather. I can't even think about coil overs right now.

btw I dont remember if I asked you but are you on NASIOC.com? greater wealth of scooby info there.

No I am not on there. I stick mainly to GTP.
Ah well if you ever find your way over there, heres my profile.http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/member.php?u=218938 I like looking through the members gallery for ideas and just all around awesome scoobs. I have used it as a resource as well though, there are a lot of members with incredible knowledge of these cars.

Edit: My little christmas present
Kartboy Short shifter, KB front bushing, KB rear bushings, and a designed holder for my cobb ap.(Much better then the cheap suction cup mount im currently using.)

Last edited:
Got that Kartboy short throw in my car now. It will change the experience a LOT. It's probably my favorite "mod" to the car. You will love it.

But have fun installing those bushings. :sly:

Got that Kartboy short throw in my car now. It will change the experience a LOT. It's probably my favorite "mod" to the car. You will love it.

But have fun installing those bushings. :sly:
Yeah it shouldnt be to bad, from what I have seen just dont torque anything over 9-13ft-tq haha.

Now I want a new shift knob to go with the new setup what do you guys think. Im leaning toward the cobb shift knobs just cause I have some other cobb stuff but idk. I dont like how the kartboys look, and I just cant decide if I want more weight or better temp control.

Based entirely on the way they look, I prefer the Cobb ones.

I've been on the fence about getting the Cobb AP for a while, since it's damn expensive, but how do you like it?

Based entirely on the way they look, I prefer the Cobb ones.

I've been on the fence about getting the Cobb AP for a while, since it's damn expensive, but how do you like it?

I like mine a lot its perfect for the basic modders. Im not looking for crazy hp right now so it makes it really easy. I got the car bone stock, and the first upgrade I bought was my AP. I noticed a big difference right off the bat in how the ecu handled its engine, much more crisp and responsive.

Then went with the full tbe and upgraded fuel pump, all I had to do with click through like 2 menus and select the Stage 2 tune and it lists the upgrades required for the tune to function correctly. Bam your done no dynos or tuners needed. It has built in tunes for different type of gas as well, like for me the gas in AZ is terrible one of the worst so they designed a tune just for the bad AZ gas, pretty cool.

My next move is to get your stock turbo and injectors which is also a built in tune on the AP!. The day that I can turn my wagon into a monster you can actually custom tune with them as well. So if your not going for super crazy custom builds its a really cool and fun little tool.

It has all these different estimated performance numbers selection like est. HP and Tq, est. 1/4, or your 0-60. One of my favorite features that they actually added in a update, was Launch control. So I can set my rpm to what every I want in the settings, then when the car is at a stand still you and just have the wot and it will bounce on what ever you set it to.

For me is was defiantly worth the money, for how simple it is to use, how much it does, and the long term usability. Tbh now that there is a new gen out the V3, the prices for the V2 will drop for sure so you could probably get a steal on a used one if you keep a look out for it. They are all over Nasioc.com, I have seen them on there for like $300-$475.

Thanks for the info, the AP definitely sounds like it's a must have. And with my TBE and intake doing nothing but make loud noises, it make sense to buy. I'll very likely get a second hand V2 simply because I want to save money, and I will not be modding my car much more than what I have now.

In fact I just bought one now! New for $400. Can't wait to see how it changes the car.

Thanks for the info, the AP definitely sounds like it's a must have. And with my TBE and intake doing nothing but make loud noises, it make sense to buy. I'll very likely get a second hand V2 simply because I want to save money, and I will not be modding my car much more than what I have now.

In fact I just bought one now! New for $400. Can't wait to see how it changes the car.

Awesome man cant wait to hear what you think. I think they are a great deal.

How have I never seen this thread before?! :drool: Lovely cars, especially the CGM WRX... I have an '05 as well, except I'm still running 2.5RS drivetrain... For some reason, the previous owners of my car did it in an OBS-style two-tone, with CGM on top and Granite Gray Metallic on the bottom... :confused:

11181862045_df2c25abc7_z.jpg

Once I can find/afford the paint for my STi splitters I'll put them on, but as an FYI, people say that the standard STi splitters won't fit.. I would sincerely recommend to check the fitment before doing anything... Mine will fit without a problem and the holes to mount are already there... But these ones have never been fitted to a car before. I don't know the story behind them, because I got them from a forum member on a different site... But I don't think they are the same as the factory made in 2005. Check them!

As far as the sedan fenders go, they look awesome, but I've heard that the doors don't match perfectly - I have absolutely no idea, I'm not that far yet.

I actually kinda like the two tone its not as common, and the colors go well together.

As for the splitters it takes a little extra just because the stock wagon bumpers dont have the holes to mount them, so I just need a dremel to cut little notches so the splitter can slide in then just bolt it on.

The fenders are a different story and at this point in time I dont think Im gonna go for it. I don't need different doors but I do need a sedan front bumper, sedan fender braces, and sedan fender liners. So the main problem is the expense of the bumper (especially the cost of paint). I have about $1000 to do this with so my choices look like this.

Option #1 - Just get it fixed!
Find a rear ended 05 Impreza Wagon or buy a new one from Subaru for $250(Not painted)
Get it painted
Done
Take the remaining money and go for a Sti turbo and injectors.

Option #2 - Looks so sick!
Find a rear ended sedan buy bumper and fenders. Might be able to snag the fender wells and brace at the same time, in a perfect world. I could also dream of finding a car in CGM with the same aging so paint would not be required but those chances are kinda slim, especially cause the parts need to be in my state at least, cause shipping would be crazy.
Get them all painted
Then a bigger install would be required

VS

928163653_qEKiE-L.jpg

I will be doing the STi Hood Scoop, STi Splitters, and STi Fog light covers.

Last edited:
I seriously love the second one except the grill - I'm running absolutely 0 badge/emblem there. I'm even considering taking off the rear badges, too, and not having any at all.

Also, are you certain that the holes in the front bumper aren't there? When I test-fitted my (as yet unpainted) splitters, the holes were already there, and everything lined up perfectly - but on a normal STi bumper there's a line cut right into the bumper where the front/top of the splitter's lip-mount goes... I can't explain very well, but the spot where it's narrow and then where it goes up to follow towards the curve for the fog light/brake duct slot... There's a groove in the STi bumper. Also, in the picture you showed with the the wagon fenders, the splitter will stick out beyond the wheel well line... Saw one of those near Québec, it doesn't match the body line very well. The bumper is also different between wagon and sedan.

Even the splitter won't fit perfectly...

Mine are entirely different but look the same when mounted - only the mounting holes are different - the holes aren't as well "hidden" behind/below the bumper, but it's good enough. They're obviously not Genuine Subaru Parts (http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/index.php?cPath=33_48&osCsid=42d19c33f67aa01ad502da8b5c66a9e2) but they are close. They look the same but don't mount up the exact same. Mine don't have any of the parts that need to be trimmed/cut/massaged in the video...

Again, I wish I could give you a name for the company whose design they are, but I got them second-hand. Unpainted, flat black... They will both look good when finished, but one is a more simple mount, and the other is more for running the V-Limited lip that floats about on the local forums - everyone wants one... Except me.

I'm pretty happy with being one of the only guys who has the double brake vents instead of the fog lights, and I'm happy to show it off, having one of the most unique Impreza wagons ever made.

Further reading:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531720

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...d=632&osCsid=42d19c33f67aa01ad502da8b5c66a9e2

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...d=764&osCsid=42d19c33f67aa01ad502da8b5c66a9e2

I put that spoiler on mine, as well as a carbon-fiber JDM mid-spoiler... The second one is mine, the third one is a guy who might trade the '05 taillights for '06 taillights... :sly: Point I'm making is that SGP is the real deal for good parts, that top spoiler went on quite well, and it looks almost better than the factory installed one beside it.. :D

10478250094_0301ae7a75_b.jpg

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...d=631&osCsid=42d19c33f67aa01ad502da8b5c66a9e2

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...d=631&osCsid=42d19c33f67aa01ad502da8b5c66a9e2

Also, join forums.nasioc.com or a more local site, and you can probably find the above parts for less money if you want, and have access to a full-knowledge base...

P.S., I'm planning on working at a Subaru performance shop, and I already know a lot about these cars - especially the '05 wagons. My car is nothing like OEM 2.5RS, and can corner with the WRX wagons no problem... :) New 22mm sway bar, Continental tires... :mischievous: No one expects the 2.5RS to be as fast as mine is.

I feel the flared fenders up front don't quite work out if there are no flares in the back. Just my opinion.

And Andrew, saying a brand for tires means nothing, just an FYI. And what end of the car is the sway bar?

I seriously love the second one except the grill - I'm running absolutely 0 badge/emblem there. I'm even considering taking off the rear badges, too, and not having any at all.

Thanks for showing me all that info, I know about all that stuff. I found that same video a long time ago when I was getting ideas for the future of the car. I have been on NASIOC since 2009 and Im on a handful of other scooby forums all the time (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/member.php?u=218938).

Yeah SGP is a great resource and has been a go to for all the oem stuff. I have a close friend who is a Master Subaru tech so if he cant make it happen no one can, he owns his own performance/maintenance shop where we can do anything needed. Plus it allows me to get parts from Subaru and Rally Sport Direct at cost haha.

Sounds like your splitters came from eBay by your description. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-STYLE-FRONT-BUMPER-LIP-CAPS-COVER-PU-/121105244474?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Subaru&hash=item1c326f613a&vxp=mtr
Im gonna get mine OEM painted to save the trouble of painting and getting the best fitment. When I was talking about the holes needed on my bumper I was referring to what the guy is doing in that video at 2:25.I have actually heard of people using 3M tape to attach their splitters I could never trust that, I might do it as a extra securing measure but never stand alone haha.

One of the main reasons why I bought the wagon was for the "Sleeper" factor no one expects a wagon to have any kind of power. I have surprised more then a few people haha, most dont even see that my car is a WRX cause they arnt used to seeing the wagons being the same performance, plus keeps the 5-0 off me more so then my sedan counter parts. Thats why I cant wait for the day I turn the wag into a monster. Once I get to 300whp Ill be happy for a while unless I hit the lotto or something haha then its going to the roof!

I too thought about debadging the whole car but I felt it looked to flat ya know. So I painted them black.

Btw you might enjoy this thread I made a wehile back of a cool meet I went to before I actually owned my scoobies haha
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/scooby-meet-pictures-of-mine-lots-of-different-cars.230310/

It's weird to find out that I have the eBay splitters... I didn't really look online, outside of the local forum. Still, they look the same, but don't worry, the car's not in mint condition so I have no problem with drilling in for proper mounting hardware... Which I can supply myself in order to use high-quality bolts. :)

I absolutely adore my wagon. I just got back from driving through the local snow... With that huge rear sway bar, the car has pretty neutral steering... I love taking off-ramps on the highway at speed... :mischievous:

It's weird to find out that I have the eBay splitters... I didn't really look online, outside of the local forum. Still, they look the same, but don't worry, the car's not in mint condition so I have no problem with drilling in for proper mounting hardware... Which I can supply myself in order to use high-quality bolts. :)

I absolutely adore my wagon. I just got back from driving through the local snow... With that huge rear sway bar, the car has pretty neutral steering... I love taking off-ramps on the highway at speed... :mischievous:

There is nothing wrong with the eBay splitters man, the only issue I have heard about them is that the fitment can be slightly off (Needs a little tweek to fit) and painting can be a bit difficult cause they are made of fiberglass and the paint has trouble grabbing. So nothing that's a big deal they look identical once on the car so who cares!

Snow driving is the best you'll find a few pictures in here of me playing in the mud/snow. I should have a lot more but its hard to take pictures from outside the car while driving :P . We usually troll the town at late hours of the night in heavy snow storms, its like the town is ours cause no one else is crazy enough to be out in the stuff. Even the cops leave us alone when we intentional power slide corners on the street haha. I just swapped my winter wheels back on so Im ready to play when mother natures ready.

I guess Flagstaff is in the AZ mountains, then? I never thought of AZ as being too much of a "snowy place," outside of the peaks of the mountains.

Ironically, over here, one of the nicest corners is directly out front of the provincial police station. :ouch: I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to have that amount of fun there, but I got a little loose (not skidding, actually just slip angle) there today...

Yeah Flagstaff is the most north somewhat major city. I live in the San Francisco Peaks at about 7000ft above sea level so we see a reasonable amount of snow every year. As long as you dont have a exhaust all you would have to say is that you lost control and you did everything you could. haha.
fr632.png

As long as you dont have a exhaust all you would have to say is that you lost control and you did everything you could. haha.

Crap. Well, what does the exhaust have to do with anything? :confused: The police will assume that - because you have an exhaust system - you are intentionally hooning?

1421229_10152080838178092_253066321_o.jpg

:lol: I've got my exhaust almost straight-piped 2.5"... Tsudo N1 cat-back.

Crap. Well, what does the exhaust have to do with anything? :confused: The police will assume that - because you have an exhaust system - you are intentionally hooning?

:lol: I've got my exhaust almost straight-piped 2.5"... Tsudo N1 cat-back.

Well if you have a exhaust and your trying to power the corner your gonna probably blip the throttle pretty good at high rpm, so they would be able to hear you going for it, and yes if you have a exhaust your are automatically labeled as a vandal haha. (at least here)

I have mixed feelings about running straight pipes, for me I feel it makes the car sound a bit to raspy for me and it would get to me over time with the drone that it create. My buddy loves his though, plus he took out all the sound deadening material to save weight haha. It sounds like being hurdled down a mountain in a tin can full of rabid animals and metal.

Back