~WrxScooby's Subies~ NEW Subaru Ascent

• Thread starter WrxScooby
  • 329 comments
I know we're going in entirely different directions, but, as far as people who do the opposite of me, I love your wagon myself. Whereas I'm focusing on handling, and you on power, the similarities and differences make your car seem nicer IMO. Your car is a less-damaged (rust is a heartless thing to my hood/doors) example of what my wagon could/should/will be.

I know we're going in entirely different directions, but, as far as people who do the opposite of me, I love your wagon myself. Whereas I'm focusing on handling, and you on power, the similarities and differences make your car seem nicer IMO. Your car is a less-damaged (rust is a heartless thing to my hood/doors) example of what my wagon could/should/will be.

I got lucky with it, the previous owner who drove it was very soft on it (Why I blew the turbo after a few months) and was very professional with his maintenance. He was the first owner and gave me a giant folder with everything that had ever been done to the car including the invoice for the window tint. I have always taken very good care of all my things and while I still have fun with the car I baby it.

Thats why this hurt so much. Hit and run and nothing I could have done about it.

Yeah, hope it goes well when you find the replacement fender.

Also, I am considering doing a wiring diagram for the HID headlights, and full records (via college work orders) of the work I do the car. I would recommend for everyone to do that.

Are the front wings ( fenders) plastic or stell on an Impreza?

It has been decided. I have about $1000 to burn and this is what I hope to accomplish, how far do you think I will get? I will be doing all the work myself or minimal labor costs except for painting if necessary.

The List (Order of Importance):
  1. Used Wagon Fender ($60-$100)
  2. STi Hood Scoop with air splitter ($100-$160)
  3. STi IHI VF-39 Turbo OR IHI VF-34 Turbo ($300-$450)
  4. STi Pink 565cc Injectors ($160-$200) or New DeatschWerks 565cc-650cc Injectors($350-$370)
  5. STi Front Splitters (New and Painted $150 or Used $50-$80)
  6. Perrin/Cobb/Flossy shift knob (All $70.00)
  7. STi Fog Light Covers (New and Painted $100 or Used $50-$85)
*Prices are subject to be lower if my mechanic has some of these parts on hand.
**I might be able to add more, and there really isnt any NEEDS on this list which gives me freedom.

Cobb Knob
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/COBB-Tuning-Delrin-Shift-Knob-Red-5MT-Subaru-Models

Perrin Knob
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Perrin-PSP-INR-100BK-Shift-Knob-Black-Fat

Flossy Knob
http://www.shopflossy.com/collections/shift-knobs/products/grip-tape-2

I would be quite pleased if I manage to get everything listed here giving me a nice sleeper that I can have for the years. Btw Im always open for donations :P

I'll donate to you if you donate towards the £1250 I need to have an LSD fitted. :P

The STi hoods are fiberglass, as well. Much lighter.
Nope. The stock "Hood" is steel on ALL the Imprezas. The "hoodscoop" is the only part of the hood that is fiberglass as I said above.

@WrxScooby
That looks like a nice list of goodies. Should make a big difference and almost everything on that list will be an easy bolt on. The turbo is about the only thing on the list that you will have to keep an eye on. Should be no problem for your mechanic. All the body parts will be easy.

Nope. The stock "Hood" is steel on ALL the Imprezas. The "hoodscoop" is the only part of the hood that is fiberglass as I said above.

Aren't a few aluminum? I know they made Legacys with them. :dopey:

SVX
Aren't a few aluminum? I know they made Legacys with them. :dopey:
I am pretty sure they are galvanized steel. Which visually can be confused with aluminum. Regardless NONE were made of fiberglass as someone thought above.

No, actually - the STi hoods are lighter than carbon fiber replica hoods. I can't quote my exact source - because I want to work for them and not have to deal with idiots asking me about proprietary information - but a very well-known Subaru performance group has measured the weight of STi hoods and compared to carbon fiber hoods (like, from SEIBON etc.) And found that the STi hoods are lighter... Than carbon fiber. :dopey: that's pretty light, definitely not steel.

You say that the hoodscoops from the STi are fiberglass, and then go on to tell me that the hood they're mounting it to is just generic steel?

The STi has some weight savings over the WRX because of the lightened panels, which are then offset by the turbo piping, larger intercooler, wider tires etc.

The 2.5RS wagon is very light compared to the WRX wagon and extremely light compared to STi. The sedans are even heavier than the wagons.

The OEM wanted the extra weight savings.

I'm serious, though. The "steel" hoods are lighter than carbon fiber hoods. That statement makes no sense unless you consider that fiberglass is roughly the same weight as carbon fiber but also slightly less expensive.

I am pretty sure they are galvanized steel. Which visually can be confused with aluminum. Regardless NONE were made of fiberglass as someone thought above.

Ah, I see, thanks. I have never heard of any Subaru having fiberglass bonnets, though.

Well I actually thought about this conversation when I was at my buddies shop today and he said that STI hoods are made of aluminum and steel. He showed me on a STI that was there, and there are two parts the pieces that support the hood from the under side and the top main piece. Not to make things anymore tense In here haha he mentioned that there was a Subaru that came with a carbon fiber hood but that was a JDM thing.

Anyway here are a few of the things that were around the shop plus I was followed by a scooby all the way to work. He did not wave... :/

His Twinscrolled 2.1l Stroker wagon
6D2C580F-0BE7-491B-A497-2199A11C7A8C_zpscx2oviyy.jpg

Forester specs unknown
A business partner of the shop (the only one haha)
743C0553-67AC-49E2-85AD-98A0BB3BACDC_zpsuxnzdw4i.jpg

Very nice STI all I know is the guy has a lot into it haha.
5CA2225A-EA6B-4DA6-97C4-75BB1C092237_zpsckp5x2j3.jpg

E8799B43-AE3D-45D8-892B-2710E98D28D0_zpseae0nxyu.jpg

The guy who didn't wave.
WRX hatchback looked pretty stock.
0970DB9E-EADF-44E3-89D3-45FFF702BDB1_zpsu7jhech1.jpg

Dat boost gauge/center gauge cluster tho :drool:

Also, I wave at all Subarus, but normally don't get a wave back - people who aren't part of the forums don't get it like those who are. Maybe the guy even got intimidated...? :confused:

Dat boost gauge/center gauge cluster tho :drool:

Also, I wave at all Subarus, but normally don't get a wave back - people who aren't part of the forums don't get it like those who are. Maybe the guy even got intimidated...? :confused:

I'll take some better pics of the interior some time here in the near future, I haven't because of a failed sender so the middle gauge doesn't currently work. I was gonna wait to get it replaced before I took pics. It's a ATi center gauge pod with the carbon fiber accent, you'll lose your factory clock but since I have a aftermarket stereo that tells me the time it was perfect. The gauges are from Glow shift which are okay I guess. They are just gauges that appear to be accurate, are led, and have nice colors haha.

Waving seems to be very hit and miss here. I always wave but I'm always guessing if they are actually going to know what's going on and wave back. Some wave back out of reaction, some because "they get it", and some actually have beaten me to the punch in stock vehicles! Unfortunately most don't wave back and give me that "Look at this loser in a wagon waving to me like he's something comparable to my: STI, Sedan, or Newer Subaru" face. They are usually the BRO crowd that has flooded the market. I call it the Block era, and I can't wait for it to end some day. I did notice more people waving once I put the aftermarket wheels on which is also kinda sad. I love cars and won't be pushed away from them by the fools.

No one here runs with many mods during winter. I'm pretty sure people would call me a lunatic for trying to manage the 22mm sway on its stiffest settings in the snow, let alone if I had coilovers - there's one guy who runs with coilovers all winter long in a Sentra (not SE-R, and not in any track-ready condition, obviously HELLAFLUSH only) because he's not the brightest.

GC (94-00) and GD (01-07) WRX and STi bonnets are aluminium. GE (08-13) WRX and STi bonnets are steel.

The scoop I am unsure of but the spoilers are indeed fibreglass.

Last edited:
GC (94-00) and GD (01-07) WRX and STi bonnets are aluminium. GE (08-13) WRX and STi bonnets are steel.

The scoop I am unsure of but the spoilers are indeed fibreglass.
Ahhh then that explains where the confusion comes from. I knew some were steel for sure. Looks like it depends on the year. Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Anyone know the best place to get new WRX floor matts? I have been looking all over and cant find any I like. Would really like to find some WRX matts with blue lettering.

I have WeatherTech floor mats for the front - they will not move and get stuck under pedals. :)

WRX floor mats aren't necessarily as good as WeatherTech, but WT won't have the lettering. :confused: are you looking for OEM? You can get brand new OEM ones from Subaru, eBay, and more places including - I believe - SGP.com.

They won't be as good (functional) as the WeatherTechs, which are quite impressive, but they will be less expensive and more stylish.

Anyone know the best place to get new WRX floor matts? I have been looking all over and cant find any I like. Would really like to find some WRX matts with blue lettering.

The blue aspect will be the hard part. These are what mine look like http://www.fastwrx.com/suboemclotfl.html

FastWRX.com has a good selection.
http://www.fastwrx.com/floormats.html

Edit* If you want to add blue to the cabin why not a shift boot with blue lining or a STI blue boot
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Boots

I really like these websites for all my aftermarket stuff.
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/
http://www.importimageracing.com/
http://www.fastwrx.com/

Then for OEM
http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I will just keep the interior the way it is and get the same floor mats you have with the WRX lettering. After some further thought, the blue letter floor mats would get dirty extremely fast anyway and would be high maintenance.

Found these for $74.00 brand new with $11.00 shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Subaru-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item540267a5e7&vxp=mtr

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread. I can always move this discussion to my WRX thread if necesssary.

Last edited:
Sorry if I am hijacking the thread. I can always move this discussion to my WRX thread if necessary.

No problem the title of this thread is Scooby Power so as long as we keep to the scoobs I dont mind one bit.

I can take it back a bit haha so I have had the same background on my deck for almost a year and I want to change it up. Whats everyones opinons on these?

Plus some bonus content at the end ;)

Current:

I like the green because of my factory cluster being lime green, but I can change just about everything else's color in my car (Gauges, deck buttons, on-screen buttons, and of course deck background) With that said here are a couple of my ideas, what do you guys think would be some color ones?

Wild Card

Took some interior shots today just for fun.

Inside HDR
by TheScoobyWagon, on Flickr

Angle Inside

Pioneer Deck

Vert Inside

Crazy HDR

InsideCloseHDR

Nothing in blue? Cherry blossom red?

:confused: lime green is such a Volvo colour, why not go with WR Blue Mica? Crystal Grey Metallic? Cherry blossom red? :)

Nothing in blue? Cherry blossom red?

:confused: lime green is such a Volvo colour, why not go with WR Blue Mica? Crystal Grey Metallic? Cherry blossom red? :)

WRB and CBR are so typical. My factory gauge cluster is Lime Green with a red needle, so Im actually matching the factory style. ;) Im gonna take a few night shots this evening to get EVERYTHING glowing including the cluster.

Is your instrument cluster orange? That weird orange that doesnt match the green everywhere else like the STIs? Ha

WRB and CBR are so typical. My factory gauge cluster is Lime Green with a red needle, so Im actually matching the factory style. ;) Im gonna take a few night shots this evening to get EVERYTHING glowing including the cluster.

So is my instrument cluster - I'm seriously considering changing it.

Yeah its slightly lighter red/orange then my gauges needles but it just doesn't look as vivid so I think it works out.

Neon yellow/green is my personal favorite color to so I was really excited when I got in my car for the first time and noticed it. Like it was meant to be.

Ill take some night shots here in a little bit any color schemes I should try for anyone haha?
I can create pretty much any color setup.

Back