Yet another "what should I buy?" thread

It'll be more useful for moving, which tends to happen a lot around the college years. Trunks have their advantages over wagon space though. They're more secure (lockable, can't be seen), they keep things from rolling around a bit more (like groceries), and it's a safer place for cargo than an area which is exposed to your head. For example, a golf ball in the trunk won't kill you, but a golf ball in the wagon might. Just something to think about.
Yup. I'd totally be open to a 2010 or newer TSX Sedan as well, it's just that the TSX closest to me that is also within my budget and mileage constraints happens to be a wagon.

Trust me, wagon life is so overrated if you have nothing to use it for. I really wish my car was a hatchback 90% of the time. It's been great for let's say... Other... Activities, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

And not to mention station wagons are also a dying breed these days already. I mean nowadays, they have been far left behind by SUVs and other common platforms in terms of popularity, although if you really like their styling so much and appreciate its uniqueness on the roads, then you can't go any wrong with it.

Wagons rock! One of my current vehicles is a wagon, and one is a sorta wagon (Subaru Outback) and they cannot be beat for storage unless you move to a van.

Regarding flying objects, I have cargo barriers installed in both of mine that can be moved to two different positions with relative ease, to create either small or large areas, and cargo nets that attach in various different ways. Both of these are readily available for most cars.

I had a four-cylinder 2000 Honda Accord Coupe for quite a while. (Of course you won't consider one that old, but I thought my experience with the model may help). I bought it with around 50K miles as I needed an automatic after a hiking accident and sold it with close to 250K. It was the first car to never leave me stranded, got me through all kinds of trips, weather, and drama, and had a bit of sportiness. I took care of it, but very little went wrong with it other than typical wear. When I decided it was time for a new car I first looked at another, but I'd recovered enough to go back to a manual, and no one near me had one available. I'd also reached the age where coupes didn't make much sense, so I bought a Mazda.

The only real downsides to my Accord Coupe were the number of people who tried to get me to race, difficulty for some people getting in and out of the back seat, and various authorities tended to notice it. The insurance company I had until recently also charged more for any coupe. Insurance wasn't bad, but it was more than the sedan would have been.

--

Edit: As for the other cars on your list, if you're in the US I'd be concerned about the Suzuki's parts availability and cost. I think the Acura TSX would be a good option if you find a good one. I was actually considering TSXs when the Accord was getting up there, but all the ones I found showed signed of neglect. (That was a common theme with used entry-luxury cars I considered. My guess is that people over-extended themselves on the car and couldn't afford to take care of it). I've not owned a VW, but my dad and several friends have. My impression is that they're a bit of a gamble; you might get one that has no issues for a long time, or you might get one that'll have you on a first name basis with a mechanic and/or person at the parts shop. I can't say much about the others other than my GM experiences were bad enough that I doubt I'll buy another, but it's been a long time.

Finally, for any used car make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection before the final buying decision (even if buying from a dealer), and get a quote from your insurance company to avoid surprises.

Last edited:
TSX seems like the best option. Good cars and Acura's always (or at least mostly) have a certain charm to the driving experience. An Avalon would be a nice cushy cruiser, but I don't know if you'll be able to find a good one for your budget. Accords are good too, but the pre-2013 models aren't so good looking, and I don't think you'll have much luck finding 2013+ one in budget without a bajillion miles on it. You might be able to bag a 2014 Mazda6 for around $10k. Will probably be closer to $12-13k though. Great cars.

I've seen that you can get stonking deals on late model Ford Fusions, but just know that it's likely been abused as a fleet vehicle. I'm not sure how they hold up in the long run.

Can you contribute to this $10k max? If you stretched it to $14k...you open up a lot better options. (I realize that's a substantial increase, but I thought I'd ask)

Last edited:
I did a quick search of $11k cars newer than 2010 on Craigslist, and most of what I saw was pretty dismal. Compared to the rest of the options within that criteria, I think an Acura TSX is as good as it's gonna get. An Accord V6 would sound like a good alternative, but the consensus I've seen is that the VCM (cylinder deactivation) in V6 models with the automatic transmission leads to oil consumption with age, and cylinder deactivation generally isn't favored from an NVH standpoint anyways. The TSX was available with a V6, but I never see those come up for sale. If I were in this situation, I would try to push back on the year restriction as $10k would buy a 2007 or 2008 Acura TL in top condition. But with any Acura, you would need to consider running costs like premium gas and higher insurance rates (which are gonna be high in general), and the fact that you'll feel worse if you accidentally scrape an Acura while parking than you would if you had an Accord.

That's messed up, I leave the USA and Acura actually brought the Accord wagon over. I love the CL7 version. Yeah, may as well get that for a good price.

Can you contribute to this $10k max? If you stretched it to $14k...you open up a lot better options. (I realize that's a substantial increase, but I thought I'd ask)

michael-scott.gif

He's about to be 16. The goal is beater. That sounds like a great plan 4 years from now.

Is there also a specific mile radius you are willing to travel to find a car?

Edit -- May I suggest a 2011 Ford Crown Victoria? A police interceptor sounds like fun for a first car. And it's a full-size sedan. Though I'm not sure how reliable they are.
This is probably the best option so far. Old people usually optioned them up too, at least.

Edit -- May I suggest a 2011 Ford Crown Victoria? A police interceptor sounds like fun for a first car. And it's a full-size sedan. Though I'm not sure how reliable they are.
I’m allowed to travel up to an hour and thirty minutes away for a car. Though, finding a ‘10 or ‘11 will be really hard, most of those for sale are from the early to mid ‘00s.

The guy says in his OP that it must be at least decent on gas mileage.

I doubt if the Crown Victoria can get exactly 20 MPG (Combined City/Highway) or more from its modular V8 engine and traditional 4-speed Auto tranny.

I did a search based on your criteria, and the model that pops up for sale most frequently (in your area) is 2015-2018 Nissan Altima 2.5SR. It's a CVT, but I've driven them as rental cars and they didn't seem too bad. Pretty comfy at least. This one even has paddle shifters! I don't know how reliable these cars are...but at 30k miles, it surely has a long life ahead of it.

As long as he doesn't get a CVPI, he'll probably end up one with the granniest of granny gears. Mid 20s is easy on the highway then. Mixed depends on how mixed it is towards city.

As long as he doesn't get a CVPI, he'll probably end up one with the granniest of granny gears. Mid 20s is easy on the highway then. Mixed depends on how mixed it is towards city.
I live in an inner-city environment, therefore I won’t do much freeway driving and will be stopping at lights and traveling at low speeds most of the time.

Then you need to strike everything from your list and mind that isn't a 4 cylinder regardless. Only very recently have things with even V6 engines started breaking 20 in the city when attached to slushboxes.

I live in an inner-city environment, therefore I won’t do much freeway driving and will be stopping at lights and traveling at low speeds most of the time.
Well, that's the biggest drawback of bigger displacement cars if you're considering one.

They won't give great MPG in stop-and-go traffic. Essentially though, even most cars with smaller displacement don't usually give above average MPG under this type of traffic situation either but with bigger cars like a full-size sedan, the experience will be a lot more prominent when there's great pressure in traffic.

Get ya'self a BMW . . .

2f5b3257-mini-citysurfer-concept-9.jpg

Even has disc brakes! 👍

This way, when someone asks what you drive you can legitimately say, "a BMW". :cheers:
[you're welcome]

You're hard on the Leaf, Danoff, but I wonder about buying a used electric car. As with any lithium-ion battery powered device, eventually that battery stops taking charges. Has the electric car used market been studied for battery longevity? But personally, I'd hate that an electric car, as my only mode of transport, wouldn't allow me to go very far - say, if I wanted to take some friends up here in the Ft Collins/Loveland area down to Denver, I wouldn't be able to drive around much while there if I wanted to get home starting from a full charge... assuming the weight of a full car on its own didn't take too much of a toll on the battery's range. I certainly wouldn't be able to go watch the Pikes Peak Hill Climb :(

I'd get the TSX, because I'm about that wagon life too, brah. And that Honda life, obviously. I actually really want one of those, but I also love utility when it doesn't come at the cost of a large ugly vehicle. Especially since you'll be old enough to move out soon (soon in terms of car life, anyway), it'll come in handy. I'm currently moving for the second time while owning my RSX, and with its huge hatchback it has been an enormous help for situations like that.

Subwoofer and strut bar in place, and the mountain bike still fits back there for taking out to the trails (yeah, bike racks are a thing too, but come on!):

Four tires and rims - the fourth rim wouldn't have had to sit in the front seat if I didn't have the sub back there:

When I got snows for the other set:

I've had TVs back there, small furniture, boxes, etc.

Crossover, my ass... Get a wagon. Super practical, while still having a car that looks great and can be fun to drive. It really should have been given the V6 that the sedan got, but the K24 is far from a bad engine - you could always supercharge it with the numerous bolt-on kits out there, haha. Worth a read:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/tsx/2011/2011-acura-tsx-wagon-long-term-verdict/

Last edited:
Anyone with a Subaru care to chime in? I worked for a couple major Subaru dealers in service. Liberty(Legacy) really didn't have any problems. Main thing were split cv boots, which we'd change out the whole driveshaft, than repack the boot. Would be a sound buy as a wagon. Moved house and art gallery furniture, in a then new 2014 Liberty wagon.

I haven't checked any USA servicing prices for comparison to here, in Australia, but it was pretty expensive here. Premium costing below Audi, but above Mazda.

Now I can completely rule that off my list. Apparently I didn't know that the Crown Vic ended production for civilian models after MY2007, though police interceptors and taxis were made until 2011. The Town Car and Grand Marquis, though, were produced to MY2011 for civilians.

Then you need to strike everything from your list and mind that isn't a 4 cylinder regardless. Only very recently have things with even V6 engines started breaking 20 in the city when attached to slushboxes.
My mom claims her V6-powered Intrepid gets 18-19 MPG in the inner city and 26 MPG on highways, so I figured gas mileage wouldn't be that relevant, as long as it's not a V8 powered car. Interestingly, she also recommended a Cadillac DTS she saw on eBay, which could only be had with a V8. I'm sure the MPG for that would be terrible driving through Downtown Elizabeth. Fortunately, the TSX wagon I like has got the four-pot instead of the V6.

EDIT: my mom is wrong, a quick google search shows that a 3.2L powered Intrepid gets 22MPG city and 30MPG highway.

*cough* leaf *cough*
I'm not even that opposed to the Leaf you showed me, it seems very good on gas and personally I find them better looking than the Prius or Insight of the era, it's just that the person in control of me finds them "too small" and "awful to deal with in a crash".

Last edited:
The civillian Crown Victoria still existed until 2011, but only fleets could buy them after 2007.

You will crash the car, just how serious though is anyone's guess. It could be a fender bender or, hopefully not, it could be much worse.

I really wish people would stop saying this. Yes, a lot of younger drivers will crash their cars but it isn't a guarantee and it can be discouraging to hear. I've never crashed any of my vehicles and my wife has never had an at fault accident either.

@GranTurNismo Who is paying for the car? Your parents, you or a combination of both?

Back