You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,206 comments
-> Hmm, a Rambo Lambo that you can bring more friends with!!!

Sultan of Punk-Ass' (ie. Brunai) Lamborghini LM002 Wagon
lamborghini-lm002-1.jpg

lm002_wagon_brunei4-m.jpg

lm002kombibrunei2.jpg

^ Better than the Cayenne IMHO.

Correction: Brunei

The coolest Pontiac ever made:
pontiac_fiero_84.jpg

Blew my mind when my dad bought one when I was a kid. It's mid-engine & has Ferrari kits for it among others.
wd20040409_042.jpg

Buick Reatta, this car had me at awe because I only ever saw one in my entire life.
4530670087_large.jpg

The coolest Pontiac ever made:

Blew my mind when my dad bought one when I was a kid. It's mid-engine & has Ferrari kits for it among others.

Buick Reatta, this car had me at awe because I only ever saw one in my entire life.

Actually, my friend bought a Reatta for his first car. Personally I don't get the appeal but to each their own I suppose.

The Reatta was GM's (bean-counter approved) attempt at an Aston Martin Lagonda.

That should tell you a lot about it.

Aston Martin Lagonda + (somehow) Future Mazda Cosmo - lulzy GM money saving = Buick Reatta

Amirite?

Still a good looking car, though.

I think the Buick Reatta was handmade. I seen one last year and wanted to know more about it and Wikipedia said it was handmade, iirc.

The Reatta was mindboggling. It looked sporty (well, somewhat) but had the humongous 3800 V6 that weighed about as much as a boat anchor, and made 165hp.

It was basically a 2 door Century.
89-90_Buick_Century.jpg

And the Fiero was America's answer to the Fiat X1/9 and Toyota MR2... Except it was an answer to a question nobody asked. And it was slow. And caught fire a lot. And not very pretty. And not very well made. And it caught fire a lot. And it was slow.

Did I mention they caught on fire a lot?

Aston Martin Lagonda + (somehow) Future Mazda Cosmo - lulzy GM money saving = Buick Reatta

Amirite?

The interior looked like this:

16iz6mv.jpg

And yes, that is a touch screen run through 80's GM electronics (the Buick Riviera had one too). It was a handbuilt, almost completely bespoke car with huge amounts of fragile components. Independent suspension all around with a shortened version of the Toronado chassis that it shared with the Allanté; with a handling bias and stuff like an OEM strut tower bar.

Then GM bean counters saw to it being met half way and all of those components being connected to whatever they could connect them to from the parts bin. The 3800 V6 (without a turbo) attached to a 4-speed slushbox, for example. So now they are pretty near impossible to service if anything breaks, because even the "regular" parts that they share with ever other GM car are hooked up to obnoxiously intricate hand built ones.

They also made a convertible:
Buick_Reatta_Convertible.jpg

Though by that point they had also gotten rid of the interior (for the better):

buick-reatta-gallatin-tn_YPA-62593_904789_5.jpg

Last edited:
3.8L V6, 165hp.

Detriot, how on Earth do you get such little power out of these big engines?

And re: American two seaters, the Ford EXP was news to me.

800px-Mercury_LN7_Sport_Coupe.jpg

Touring Maserati Bellagio - yes please

touring_superleggera_maserati_bellagio_1.jpg

In black and extended a bit, that would be my dream hearse.

Not enough people know about the Lightburn Zeta. The err... interesting gearbox (that required you to turn the engine off to select reverse) allowed go the same speed backwards as you could going forwards. With all 4 gears.

tumblr_m4l75kfYQ81rx09rjo1_1280.jpg

Hands down the best car Australia has ever made.

Or like a Mini was rear-ended by a Volvo 240 and they just thought 'nah that's fine, leave it.'

3.8L V6, 165hp.

Detriot, how on Earth do you get such little power out of these big engines?

Hey now, respect. Without the 3800 V6, you wouldn't have your Rover V8 to constantly blow up in Discoverys.

And re: American two seaters, the Ford EXP was news to me.

800px-Mercury_LN7_Sport_Coupe.jpg
Dodge's was cooler:
1987shelby.jpg

You could even get it as a pickup:
800px-1983_Dodge_Rampage.jpg

Last edited:
That Dodge is like a pre-facelift Ford Sierra that's gone into the witness protection programme.

800px-Sierra_3_door_-_an_early_one.jpg

The rover v8 was the Buick 215 v8 from 1960.

And if GM hadn't gotten the vastly cheaper 3800 out of that same design, they most likely would have just scrapped the whole thing, tooling and all, in 1963 rather than sit on it for a few years then sell everything to Rover and Jeep in the late 60's.

I had one for a short while. It was a pos.
Every car brand has it's lemons. My dad owned an '84 & it ran like all the Chevy's we owned, Better Than Every Other Thing We Owned. Whenever my parents bought a car other than a GM built one they sold it within a year & went back to GM.

Ascari Ecosse

ascari_ecosse.jpg

I always thought that the KZ1 was the first car from Ascari until I saw this at a transport museum when I was on a supercar experience day last weekend.

It was also the very first Racing Car Ascari built. Though it failed to qualify for the 1995 Lemans 24 Hours, The "FG-T LM" competed in the British GT series up until 1998:

lm95_33.jpg

And the British GT Version:

ascari_fgt_1997.jpg

Every car brand has it's lemons. My dad owned an '84 & it ran like all the Chevy's we owned, Better Than Every Other Thing We Owned. Whenever my parents bought a car other than a GM built one they sold it within a year & went back to GM.
My Fiero was not a lemon. It was what happens to 95% of all Fieros.

And if your dad's Fiero ran better than every other thing you owned, then your family owned some really unreliable vehicles or you had a diamond-in-the-rough Fiero example.

Lets see, every Ford we owned sucked. We had a Nissan Maxima once but one day all the oil was on the garage floor. My mom had a Jeep Liberty once, sold that **** wagon within 6 months.

The Fiero was a beast. My dad t-bone another car with it to. Other car was almost totaled while the little red knee capper just had a scuffed bumper. So I don't know what you're talking about since every Fiero I laid eyes & hands on were fine examples of GM engineering.

Ferrari Pinin

FerrariPinin_01_1000-700x350.jpg

FerrariPinin_02_1000-700x466.jpg

FerrariPinin_04_1000-700x466.jpg

Built for the Turin Motor Show as a celebration of the 50th anniversary of Carrozzeria Pininfarina and named after Pininfarina founder Battista “Pinin” Farina, the Ferrari Pinin was a static show car that has recently been professionally transformed into a fully functioning sports sedan.This crisply handsome car was designed by Diego Ottina, under the direction of noted Pininfarina stylist Leonardo Fioravanti. Aside from its obvious genre-busting four-door layout, the Pinin was notable for its flush glass, low hood and Lucas-developed triple-lens “multi-parabolic” headlamps. Its styling ties to the pretty and polarizing 400 GT are evident, especially in the C-pillar and trunk, and other aspects of the car’s design forecast future Pininfarina projects, namely the lower front turn signal/fog lamp clusters (think Ferrari Testarossa) taillamps (Cadillac Allanté), the body-side crease and door handle treatment (Alfa Romeo 164) and aluminum alloy wheels (Ferrari F512M).

Latest Posts

Back