You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,206 comments
The first thing that seeing this car reminded me of was the original AMC AMX. Except this one looks really funny with those proportions.

That's not the only one they did. That one that was posted before was a '64-'66 model. This next one was also done those years and then the production '69/'70 models took design cues from it. Rear end is totally different from the production Mustang however.

Mustang2seater_03_1200.jpg

Mustang2seater_05_1200.jpg

Mustang2seater_04_1200-700x383.jpg

Other designs

Mustang2seater_06_1500-700x359.jpg

Mustang2seater_07_1500-700x335.jpg

1965-ford-mustang-prototypes-3.jpg

62concept.jpg

Also, could anybody identify the model of this car? All I know is that it's a Devon.

It's probably a fifties Devin SS (Super Sports), not Devon (although one site mentions it's Devon, maybe faulty or there's a variant/different company called that way).

It's probably a fifties Devin SS (Super Sports), not Devon (although one site mentions it's Devon, maybe faulty or there's a variant/different company called that way).

Ok thanks. And it said 'Devon' on the sign which was next to it so that's what I went off of.

Edit: With a Google search, it would appear to be a Devin Special.

Microcar MC2 Highland

It's not often that i spot a car i don't know, but i was alongside one in traffic this morning and it totally had me stumped.

Ascari Ecosse

ascari_ecosse.jpg

I always thought that the KZ1 was the first car from Ascari until I saw this at a transport museum when I was on a supercar experience day last weekend.

You'd like it better if you saw it live. I've seen 3 of the about 5 that have surfaced here in Mexico (not counting the like 6 that are in the US), including an impeccably restored one right down to the Wide Ovals, unveiled at a classic car event last week. I've also been inside maybe the only regularly street driven one. Hard car, runs strong, and long legs.

'71 Proto

1971MustangPrototype.jpg

This. This looks really epic. I like the sharp angles and the deep-recessed grille and the ultra-sharp lines. It looks like a product of the '70s, but that's a goodthing - very clean and uncluttered! So much less fussy than some other vehicles of the time. Too bad Ford didn't pursue some of these cues in their other vehicles.

I still to this day think the '71 model Mustang should have been based on a Maverick Grabber (obviously upgraded) with a beefed up rear body, '71 Mustang taillights and a '69 GT500 front end with a tri-color Mustang logo placed in the center of the grill.

Smorgasboard... Ronnie Schreiber has a feature on forgotten showcars here:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...pt-and-show-cars-part-one-acura-to-chevrolet/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...cept-and-show-cars-part-two-chrysler-to-ford/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...pt-and-show-cars-part-three-honda-to-mercury/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...d-show-cars-part-four-mitsubishi-to-plymouth/

Some gems:
pinto-sportiva51-550x333.jpg

Ford Pinto Sportiva - Some features eventually made it into the Mustang II. IMHO, they should've just made this car, instead.

pinto-sportiva4-500x316.jpg

pinto-sportiva1-500x309.jpg

Flaming death, plus crushing defeat? I'm sold!

MitsubishiRPM_concept@2001Web221-500x301.jpg

Mitsubishi RPM. An Eclipse on stilts. Could it have saved the brand? Maybe.

DodgeKahunaConcept@Web22-500x301.jpg

Dodge Kahuna. Like... Duuuuude.

DodgeNeonAviat@1994web-500x301.jpg

Dodge Neon Aviat. Squawk.

ford-flashback-500x313.jpg

Lincoln Machete. The SMART car revolution started twenty years too early. And never went anywhere. Thankfully.

Almost everything about the design looks at least 10 years ahead of its time, including the interior.

xj41_rqproto.jpg

I can't find anything to like about that rear end on a car that looks great otherwise, no matter how long I look. It's not quite as ugly on the coupe version (or for that matter, the hatch and saloon). But ditching the rear centre taillight and the parts sticking out either side of the rear plate would be an improvement.

xj41_15.jpg

Last edited:
The interior especially. Holy crap. Other than the steering wheel, it looks a lot like the interior in the R129 S-Class. Certainly nicer than the one they left in the XJS well into the 90s.

And this was in 1980? Damn.

Back