You learn something new... - Cars you didn't know existed, until now!

• Thread starter Rue
  • 6,207 comments
Ferrari FX:

1996_Ferrari_FX_-_dk_blu_met_-_fvl_%284653162375%29.jpg

I really love that, actually. Maybe something's wrong with me. :lol:

But, seriously, compared to other one-off Ferraris from the 90s, like the FZ93, F50 Bolide, and F90, this is a highly beautiful creation.

I think I saw it once in the "Did You See Anything Good Today?" thread.

Yeah. That car is so freaking awesome! I think they should include the competition version in GT6, don't you?

I used to drive the competition version in the "Le Mans 24" arcade game as a kid. I knew the car from that game.

Umm...well, it's a GT-R, and Kaz loves GT-Rs. And it's also a GT-R that raced in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, so that makes it more special.

Well, why not. But there are so many Skylines in the game already, and there are so many other cars that I prefer to be added into the game. If they decide not to re-include the competition version, which was a racing modification feature in GT2, that's totally fine by me. I prefer them to bring back Venturis, Vectors, the Jensen Interceptor, and so on.

Not a bad idea, even if it's 4WD!

Rear-wheel drive, you mean, unlike most of the other GT-Rs. It had to be rear-wheel drive to be eligible in the GT1 class.

Last edited:
So they agreed on the design, and it also managed to be classified as a car? That's literally just a "box on wheels"! I did that kind of drawing many times when I was like, 5 years old!

Back in the late 70's, Bob Henderson came up with the project for a 2+2 sports car designed and built in Scotland. In 1976, the Argyll GT Turbo prototype was created. This variant had a turbocharged Rover V8 and a claimed top speed of 160mph. Limited production began in 1983 where the V8 was downgraded to a turbo Douvrin V6. Some variants had the running gear from a Lancia Beta and some were powered by a Buick V6. Production ceased in 1990 with no official numbers released for how many were built. It was stupidly expensive with a starting price at launch of £25-30,000 in 1983. It remains the only sports car to come from Scotland.
ed0811a2416d618bd37f5876701f10a9.jpg

argyll_05.jpg

Some very odd late 80s/early 90s Daihatsu concept cars I wasn't aware of until now:
:boggled:

Haha, those are truly awesome!

Back in the late 70's, Bob Henderson came up with the project for a 2+2 sports car designed and built in Scotland. In 1976, the Argyll GT Turbo prototype was created. This variant had a turbocharged Rover V8 and a claimed top speed of 160mph. Limited production began in 1983 where the V8 was downgraded to a turbo Douvrin V6. Some variants had the Lancia Beta and some were powered by a Buick V6. Production ceased in 1990 with no official numbers released for how many were built. It was stupidly expensive with a starting price at launch of £25-30,000 in 1983. It remains the only sports car to come from Scotland.
ed0811a2416d618bd37f5876701f10a9.jpg

argyll_05.jpg

This is, too. I love that weird looking front.

Fiat Strada. Not the renamed Ritmo they sold in the UK throughout the 80s, but the Brazilian produced ute. The more recent incarnation has a more familiar "Grande Punto" look to it.

2011-fiat-strada-sporting-launched-28906_1.jpg
I love the way this looks. I would own one.

Another one-off: the DJM Motorsport McRae R2...

DJM_Motorsport0007.JPG

Unlike the R4 rally car, which is 4WD and has a normally-aspirated 4-cylinder, the R2 is RWD and has a twin-turbo V6. It's built for the track rather than than the forest stages.

Weighs 950kg, has a proposed power output of over 550bhp...

Found this at Jalopnik.com - Lotec TT1000

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

From Jalopnik.com:

If you had a Ferrari Testarossa back in 1989 but wanted the performance and the looks of Enzo's last child, the F40, all you needed to do is ring up Lotec. Those crazy Bavarians could help.

In the late eighties, it was pretty much a choice between Lotec and Koenig depending on what you were after. And while the former is mostly known for its insanely fast Mercedes-powered creations, they also figured out how to twin-turbocharge the Testarossa's 5.0-liter 12-cylinder boxer in order to get 780 horsepower and 678 foot-pound of torque out of it at 12.3 psi of boost.

But the tuning didn't stop there as the factory body panels gave way for an F40 lookalike made of carbon-kevlar composites just like on the original, and massive AP brakes and a fully adjustable suspension were installed in order to keep the beast on the road.

The TT1000 promised to give its owners a thousand horsepower at higher pressures, and with all that kraft attacking the 335/35/17 rear tires, acceleration was down to 4.8 seconds simply due to the lack of grip. Lotec's Testarossa topped out at 220 mph if you dared to put your foot down long enough.

The only real problem of the TT1000 was that it cost five times as much as the base car and three times as much as an F40 in 1989, making the whole concept rather pointless.

Probably that why only three were made, but if you liked the 458 Speciale's details, you'll love what Lotec has done with this one for a cool 1,200,000 Deutschmark (which was an equivalent of $796,833 today). A bargain considering that the 2014 Porsche 918 Spyder starts at $845,000...

Boost-control! We need that.

While looking through Wikipedia I found the worser part of the Chrysler-fiat deal.

The Chrysler Delta, which Is a rebadged Lancia Delta, which I didn't even know they revived.
image.jpg

And this, which is apparently called the Ypsilion.

image.jpg

Found a few more

Retro-styled kei van, Nissan S-Cargo
Nissan_S-Cargo_001.JPG

Japanese Mach 1, probably used by the highway interceptors
uBX21.jpg

Not sure if is this a production model but interesting nonetheless, GTO pick-up
El-Camino-GTO_1.jpg

Rotary pick-up, Mazda B-series

1389751808929.jpg

Kei campers, Suzuki Carry

Kei-campers.gif

Last edited:
Until I played GT4, had no idea this thing ever existed.

Hommell_Berlinette.jpg

PD sure likes to teach me about cars I didn't know about. Same case with the Cizeta V16T

cizetav16t.jpg

And the entirety of Chaparral.

Until I played GT4, had no idea this thing ever existed.

Hommell_Berlinette.jpg

PD sure likes to teach me about cars I didn't know about. Same case with the Cizeta V16T

cizetav16t.jpg

And the entirety of Chaparral.
Before I started playing, I didn't know of (I was a toddler when I started playing GT3):

Alfa Romeo
Citroen
Daihatsu
Gillet
Lancia
Lister
Lotus
Opel
Pagani
Panoz
Renault
RUF
Tickford
Tommykaira
TVR

Then GT4:
Chaparral
Cizeta
Hommell

Thanks GT. 👍

Before I started playing, I didn't know of (I was a toddler when I started playing GT3):

Alfa Romeo
Citroen
Daihatsu
Gillet
Lancia
Lister
Lotus
Opel
Pagani
Panoz
Renault
RUF