ZedTunes' Autumn/Fall Rally Shootout 2011

• Thread starter C-ZETA
  • 544 comments
ah, did not see that part, then I will go back and test yours Monday and edit my review for yours RJ wont take to long.

So I have some time and decided to check in.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR '98 - krenkme - If anything very similar to Despy's Evo but with slightly weaker steering, which seemed to hold it back a little on Eiger, but it actually felt better on Eiger. Short gear ratios did it no harm on Tokyo or Eiger but seemed to hold back possible acceleration a little, however it is very fast off the line in 1st.

With my limited driving skill the short gears for acceleration seemed to make sense at the time, but it might have hurt it:dunce:

krenkme's Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR-

Tarmac: Super close ratios gears means this can hang with Vipers and M5s from a standing start. Grip > handling. Tyre wear is biased towards the front. Turn in is good, as is the lack of an AYC. No awful electronics spoiling the experience here. Very easy car to drive fast, like all Japanese 4WD sport saloons.
Gravel: Understeers a tad on gravel if you're not careful. Flicking it into turns seems to work better than turning into the corner. Throttle control is also something to be aware of, such short gears seem to amplify handling issues and understeer. Still very easy and fun to drive.
Snow: Still a grip monster. Doesn't let go, flies though corners with ease regardless of how much grip is there. Feels like it can handle even more power. Good car all round.

Beside the too short of gears, I was trying to get an easy car to drive, I hope it worked. Glad you liked it

get Ready for a wall of text lol

Krenkme Mitsubishi lancer evolution V GSR ‘98
This car was one of the best handling on the dirt track; you could easily do drifts around corners to keep your speed going with no problem, very agile through the turns. It was like this again on the snow easy to control great speed just wish 6th was longer, I hit the rev limiter each lap. On the track again very fast and easy to get through the turns, tad under steer and again I wish 6th gear was a tad longer.

Again, maybe my gearing could have been better, but I really wanted to concentrate on grip and acceleration, with sacrafice to top speed. Looking back maybe I could have made 6th a little longer. Glad you liked it.:dopey:

This has been a interesting shootout. Great job to the tuners (wish I was home to try the Alpines:dopey:). Great driving testers! Hope everyone is having fun. Happy Driving :D

On a side note, got wine for my wife, a doll for my 2 year-old daughter, and a new DS 3D for my 9 year old daughter. I'm heading home :)

CSLACR- Lancia Stratos ‘73
I am not going to lie… I had high hopes for this car, very high hopes. But I was disappointed with it. This car was so prone to spinning on the dirt, if you turned the wheel just a tad too much you spun the car, this took place on both snow and dirt. And because of this you had to drive the car slow and I mean slow!!!!!!! I could not even think about drifting the turns. On the track it was much better the spinning was gone and you could really drive it, there was a little tail happiness but nothing bad all good there. I just wished it drove on the dirt and snow like it did on the track.

Nordwand K
Jackthalad Subaru – 4:10:335
Krenkme Mitsubishi evo V- 4:12:711
Xdesperado67 Mitsubishi evo VI -4:15:839
Praiano63 Mini- 4:28:236
GFxJG Mini 4:29:434
Cykosis1973 Peugeot 206 – 4:34:771
Rotary Junkie Alpine 4:35:973
Cslacr stratos-3:37:846
Dr_slump Mitsubishi CZ3- 4:40:211
VTiRoj Alpine- 5:39:082
Needless to say I am thoroughly confused.

Testing so far Praiano's Cooper in Tarmac... needless to say, I happen to find just a tiny bit of understeers, and that tiny bit is making me crash everytime... :lol:

Reading through that excerpt, I'm confused too. That Stratos was one of the most drivable non 4WD I tested, and yet he's spinning it on dirt? :confused:

Well it's no secret anything RWD is going to suck in comparison to other drivetrains in GT5 off tarmac, so if this is the way cars are being judged I have to say I'm disappointed.

Reading RJ and Roj's reviews it would seem I had the option to run less power? Apparantly the way to go, since low power equals easy drive.

Well it's no secret anything RWD is going to suck in comparison to other drivetrains in GT5 off tarmac, so if this is the way cars are being judged I have to say I'm disappointed.

Reading RJ and Roj's reviews it would seem I had the option to run less power? Apparantly the way to go, since low power equals easy drive.
Well, if you try to compare the cars, duh it's going to suck for the RWD. Which I why I tested the Stratos first, no expectations, no comparisons.

Sorry cslacr that was a mistype it was suppose to say 4 I am going to fix it right now
No problem, I assumed it was 4, but still mid pack for time.
and yes I was spinning maybe its my driving skill but I spun that car very easily.
It's no secret the Stratos has no true owner, it just takes people for rides when it feels like it. :lol:

Well, if you try to compare the cars, duh it's going to suck for the RWD. Which I why I tested the Stratos first, no expectations, no comparisons.
I know lap times aren't an issue here, but rwd is clearly not the "driver's choice" for off road purposes (mine either), so in a "driver's choice" competition, you know where that leaves three of us. ;)

I guess I could of rephrased it better, it was not slow, just had to take it easy on the car, or it would bite you (well me at least.... many many times....)

I guess I could of rephrased it better, it was not slow, just had to take it easy on the car, or it would bite you (well me at least.... many many times....)
No worries, all is well. 👍

To be honest, Roj and I were "stuck" with the power we got.

Roj had to run 90hp (stock A110 makes 130some), I had to run 175.

If it was open to discretion I may have run north of 200hp as I'm sure the traction is there.

Easy drive != fun drive, fun drive != fast. The Stratos will never be an "easy" car, no matter how little power you run, the Alpine is almost boring even with the output I was able to run (and in fact the suspension and diff are designed to make it more brutal).

Edit: If I'd gotten an R5 Turbo I'd have been over the moon. It'd be a bastard to make work, probably get stuck with the ~345hp of the Maxi version, etc, but it'd be a blast to tune and drive.

Yea, just be glad you didn't get a R5 Turbo :lol:
Honestly I found the 5 Turbo (my homemade rally car for events in GT5 already) immeasurably easier to control, and therefore 9 times out of 10, more fun to drive.

To be honest, Roj and I were "stuck" with the power we got.

Roj had to run 90hp (stock A110 makes 130some), I had to run 175.

If it was open to discretion I may have run north of 200hp as I'm sure the traction is there.
I see...
I haven't driven most of the cars, I just know from playing the game anything rwd leaves you feeling like a used tampon after a couple laps, broken, bloody....I'll stop there. :lol:

:lol: RJ, you want a R5? I bought one, but just left it to rust in its box. I'm sure you could make more out of it than I ever could.

R5 is a great car! Makes fun to drive it.
:lol: I like it, very much. The idea of a tiny rear wheel drive shopping car the size of my shoe and made of tin plus with a massive turbo and rather crap tyres is genius. Till it snaps back, that is.

:lol: I like it, very much. The idea of a tiny rear wheel drive shopping car the size of my shoe and made of tin plus with a massive turbo and rather crap tyres is genius. Till it snaps back, that is.
I see the first part and completely agree.

(It won't snap if you do it right.....)

Edit: If I'd gotten an R5 Turbo I'd have been over the moon. It'd be a bastard to make work, probably get stuck with the ~345hp of the Maxi version, etc, but it'd be a blast to tune and drive.

This.

And I'd call it the Ali G Turbo. :D

Cykosis1973 Peugeot 206 s16 ‘99
This car was a tad slow I was expecting it to be a bit faster then what it was. On the dirt it needed lots of room to break and it under steered quite a bit in the turns. The snow it was a tad better still the under steer was there but the breaking problem was gone. On the track again better but still slow but very good through the turns.

Nordwand K
Cykosis1973 Peugeot 206 – 4:34:771

Chamonix west
CyKosis1973 Peugeot 206 2:30:638

Nurburing GP/F
Cykosis1973 Peugeot 206- 2:32:772

:indiff: Understeer really shouldn't be an issue with this car. If anything you should experience some over-rotation. I feel compelled to post a Ghost or Replay for people to watch/use. I do accept you need to be pre-emptive for braking, that's a bit of a habit of mine. However, once you've got your speed down, you should be able to swing the rear around at will. Never use the handbrake, always the throttle and brake. Never lift-off in a corner, dab the brakes, whilst keeping the throttle planted, you'll shift the weight onto the front wheels (where you want grip and traction) and you'll keep the revs up. If you lift-off in a corner, you just transfer the weight to the outside wheels and you'll likely end up in the barrier (this could be the understeer you're experiencing).

I appreciate that we're not here to comment on other driver's times, but around the K Trail, this thing should be a good 10-15 secs quicker (more in better hands than mine). I suspect that with some good old fashion Scandinavian Flicks, you can find those extra few seconds. I'm gonna hafta hit Chamonix West and the GP/F tracks to see how I fare there.

All of the above to one side, thank you for your time and efforts, and please feel free to tell me to extract my head from my arse. :mischievous:

{Cy}

PS - Onboy, less gassing and more writing up reviews, ta...

Back