ZedTunes' Autumn/Fall Rally Shootout 2011

• Thread starter C-ZETA
  • 544 comments
Hmmm…we could enlist the help of a Panzer tank…or a Dodge Ram :mischievous::lol:
Not sure the Alpine can cope with being pushed with all that rust everywhere. Wouldn't the Panzer just end up driving through it?

AudiRS6-003.jpg

Not sure the Alpine can cope with being pushed with all that rust everywhere. Wouldn't the Panzer just end up driving through it?

AudiRS6-003.jpg
:lol::lol: you still owe me a T-bone. Or is that the other way round? As in I still owe you one? Now, the Ram packs 700hp and 700 torques. Good for drag racing. And collecting overdue debts from tree huggers. :D

Alpine A110S 1600S '73 - Rotary Junkie - Not as good as Roj's, mainly due to handling issues and lack of care for car. Seemed particularly risky on Eiger where I actually spun it out, without the slidiness the 206 would have been beaten on Eiger probably.

The entire purpose was that exact "slidiness" you're whining about. Without it, the car is a bit too French.

lolohwell.

The entire purpose was that exact "slidiness" you're whining about. Without it, the car is a bit too French.

lolohwell.

Thing is...

I tested CSL's Stratos on gravel, and spun out after one corner, and it isn't even that slidey on tarmac. So...I dread to think what your Alpine will be like on it :lol: Even with the different physics on the surfaces I don't know how well it could go.

By the way, thus far on tarmac, Roj has the best RWD, Cy's 206 was the best FWD before Praiano's was better on Eiger (the 206 didn't feel as good on Eiger, I dare say part of the cause was because I'd stepped out of Roj's Alpine) and the Impreza is actually my favourite 4WD thus far (though to be fair all of them are great, they're all very close in driving feel, though the CZ3 hasn't been tested yet on Eiger unlike the other three).

Hmm…Do you think it would be easier for tuners and testers if you linked the tests to the OP like before? It's going to be a bit of a pain cycling through so many pages just to find your results table.

:lol::lol: you still owe me a T-bone. Or is that the other way round? As in I still owe you one? Now, the Ram packs 700hp and 700 torques. Good for drag racing. And collecting overdue debts from tree huggers. :D

No you had your way with the Prius already. T-bone it in 2-player or something. I can't be arsed having my controller vibrate off the table constantly. :lol:

Also lol at the results.

Thing is...

I tested CSL's Stratos on gravel, and spun out after one corner, and it isn't even that slidey on tarmac. So...I dread to think what your Alpine will be like on it :lol: Even with the different physics on the surfaces I don't know how well it could go.

By the way, thus far on tarmac, Roj has the best RWD, Cy's 206 was the best FWD before Praiano's was better on Eiger (the 206 didn't feel as good on Eiger, I dare say part of the cause was because I'd stepped out of Roj's Alpine) and the Impreza is actually my favourite 4WD thus far (though to be fair all of them are great, they're all very close in driving feel, though the CZ3 hasn't been tested yet on Eiger unlike the other three).

There's no o in RJ.

Hmm…Do you think it would be easier for tuners and testers if you linked the tests to the OP like before? It's going to be a bit of a pain cycling through so many pages just to find your results table.

I already did both of ours. So consider yourself

'Damn, tree'd' :lol:

No you had your way with the Prius already. T-bone it in 2-player or something. I can't be arsed having my controller vibrate off the table constantly. :lol:

There's no o in RJ.

:lol: turn the vibrator off then, it's not rocket science, is it?

And is this Roj being modest for the very first time? :lol::lol:

Thing is...

It's no more sideways on dirt than a 400bhp Evo 6 I tuned ages ago for a customer. So sideways constantly but won't spin unless your name is Onboy. Actually, won't surprise me if he can drive it around a gravel track, throttle control isn't really needed. Mat the gas for more sideways, let off for less.

By the way, thus far on tarmac, Roj has the best RWD

No, Roj has the best NWD.

Stop being such a girl. Always whining about it, when in actual fact it's pretty good...if you continue long enough it'll start to get cringy... :rolleyes:
I am not whining, I am complaining. Do you want to hear whining? :sly:

It's no more sideways on dirt than a 400bhp Evo 6 I tuned ages ago for a customer. So sideways constantly but won't spin unless your name is Onboy. Actually, won't surprise me if he can drive it around a gravel track, throttle control isn't really needed. Mat the gas for more sideways, let off for less.
Yes, yes, yes. Hahahaha, very funny RJ. -.-

Same thing :dunce: Given the comparison. So, stop constantly complaining about your car or I will

EXCLUDE YOU FROM THE SHOOTOUT!!!

:D Only joking. :sly:

I disagree, but fine. Only because you said stop. :P Excluding me would solve a lot of problems though.

Do it. Just do it :D

That's actually what my shirt says right now. :lol: "Just do it" in the shape of the Nike logo.

Enjoying the feedback so far. A bit surprised by the results as I really didn't care for the car so short changed it on tuning and testing. Of course that competence is a lot of the reason I didn't care for the car. Think if you slapped a fully adjustable suspension on a stock one to give it the extra ride height and used the power limiter to bring it back too 300hp you would get very competitive results with no tuning of the suspension. Guess that makes it a good choice for basing an ultra competitive Rally car tune on but not as much fun, at least for me to tune and drive. Looking back at the last shootout, CSLACR's car was the fastest overall but ACSR421's car won the drivers choice award. Difference for me was that CSLACR's was very competent and easy to drive fast but made the experience feel like just another day at the office not really engaging you with the driving experience. ACSR421's car on the other hand was nearly as fast but it totally engaged me in driving it at the limit making me a part of that driving experience instead of just a passenger. If you were racing the cars competitively CSLACR's car would result in less driver fatigue and fewer costly mistakes over a longer race so would make it the better choice if your only goal was to win. ACSR421's car on the other hand would wear you down in longer races most likely producing more costly mistakes, but if you finished on the podium or actually managed to win you would come away with a real feeling of accomplishment. So while my tune of the Bubblegum Bandit in no way compares to what CSLACR achieved with the R8 the same basic issues exist for both cars. Fast and competent but lacking, at least for me, a real driving soul. They're just machines built and tuned for a purpose not something you really fall in love with. That's why in my opinion RJ, Roj and CSLACR got the best cars for this shootout as the tune will help you either love them it hate them but either way the cars will always have real personalities.👍👍

I'd rather not waste my afternoon playing catch the pigeon when I could be doing something productive. :dunce:

You're right. You never know, you could try and turn an Alpine into something else amazing and awesome!

On the subject of Alpine, this says hi:

Renault_Alpine_A443_Donington_2007.jpg

Alpine A442. Le Mans 1978 winner. How's that for a rubbish car, VTiRoj?! :D

It's totally gotta be a DLC in Spec II late October update

Fixed :D

And by productive, what do you mean? Get a job?
I wrote that at first but then edited it before C-ZETA has another go at me. :dunce:
You're right. You never know, you could try and turn an Alpine into something else amazing and awesome!

On the subject of Alpine, this says hi:

Alpine A442. Le Mans 1978 winner. How's that for a rubbish car, VTiRoj?! :D

It's totally gotta be a DLC in Spec II late October update

[comment removed by wulchers]

FINALLY!!! I'm done with Roj's car now. And I've grown a hatred on your stupid restrictions, C-ZETA. -.-

get Ready for a wall of text lol

The order of the reviews is just when I tested them. All tunes were tested with a DFGT wheel, on Nordwand K (dirt) Chamonix west (snow) and Nurburgring GP/F track). I used the Nurburgring GP/F before C-Zeta changed it and to keep everything constant I kept all the other cars on this track as well. All cars were driven 2-4 laps around each track depending how long they were. The bellow comments are what I experienced when driving so they might be different for the other testers. If you don’t feel like reading and just want to see the lap times and my picks in order of best to worse go to the bottom.

Vtiroj- alpine A110 1600S ‘73
This poor poor car…. it was so slow. I found myself doing the shuffle in my seat, thinking that by doing that in my chair I could make the car go faster in game. On the dirt track, it did just fine on flatter area’s or downhill, but if it saw even the slightest uphill it would lose all power, I was going uphill in that poor car and had to down shift twice and dropped from 64 mph all the way do to 42. Aside from the power I think the car handled great on all tracks, because it was so easy to drive. I found in this car and all the other cars it did the best on the track over snow and dirt. When testing on the track, this thing was much more fun to drive, easy handling, could hit the apex each time. Though the lack of power in this car was its down fall, on a track it made it at least bearable to drive.

Xdesperado67- Mitsubishi lancer evolution VI rs T.M ‘00
Now this car was much better it did ok on dirt, fast easy to control but for some reason on downhill turns it had a huge tendency to under steer, that might have been because of the speed but who knows. On snow this car was a dream, it could plow through the snow no problem with full faith that you would not lose control and if you do very easy to gain it back. The greatest surprise of this car on the track it kept all those fast characteristics but had some nice under steer, which I love nothing outrageous just enough though.

I will be doing GfxJG and Praiano63 together because they had the same car Mini Cooper S ‘05
These cars with both fast as hell on the dirt, on the straights, but because of that speed you needed lots of room for breaking much more than any other car, they suffered greatly in the turns because of the speed as well. I found that GfxJG’ mini 1st gear was too short for my liking, wish it was a tad longer. On the snow both these cars were much better, though for some reason the wheel went dead at about 35 degrees (guessing here) on both cars while all the other cars I tested went dead about 45 degrees, I don’t think this had to do with the tune but something that caught my eye. Now on the track again these cars shined, because of their speed they could rocket around the track with ease. I found GfxJG’s mini under steered a bit but not much but it did. Over all the cars handled similarly to each other, both really good cars.

Krenkme Mitsubishi lancer evolution V GSR ‘98
This car was one of the best handling on the dirt track; you could easily do drifts around corners to keep your speed going with no problem, very agile through the turns. It was like this again on the snow easy to control great speed just wish 6th was longer, I hit the rev limiter each lap. On the track again very fast and easy to get through the turns, tad under steer and again I wish 6th gear was a tad longer.

Jackthalad- Subaru Impreza sedan WRX STi spec C RA ‘05
This car was on par with the evo V on dirt and snow, I would say even more stable than the evo V and it was the fastest on snow. It was easy to drift the turns to keep the speed and easy to stop, made you feel like a really rally driver. This car suffered on the track though, I don’t know why it suffered so much, but it had some major under steer problems in the corners.
Cykosis1973 Peugeot 206 s16 ‘99
This car was a tad slow I was expecting it to be a bit faster then what it was. On the dirt it needed lots of room to break and it under steered quite a bit in the turns. The snow it was a tad better still the under steer was there but the breaking problem was gone. On the track again better but still slow but very good through the turns.

CSLACR- Lancia Stratos ‘73
I am not going to lie… I had high hopes for this car, very high hopes. But I was disappointed with it. This car was so prone to spinning on the dirt, if you turned the wheel just a tad too much you spun the car, this took place on both snow and dirt. And because of this you had to drive the car slow and I mean slow!!!!!!! I could not even think about drifting the turns. On the track it was much better the spinning was gone and you could really drive it, there was a little tail happiness but nothing bad all good there. I just wished it drove on the dirt and snow like it did on the track.

Dr_slump- Mitsubishi CZ3 tarmac ‘01
This car was fast wow I could not believe it on the straights, it would rocket away, but like the mini cooper that was this things downfall. Because of its speed it needed lots of room to break. In snow if you lost control good luck getting it back, it was kind of left in the hands of god to decide when you got control back. On the track it was much better tad under steer in the corners but I found it interesting in 2nd it was a tad tail happy. And again very fast.

Rotary Junkie- alpine A110 1600S ‘73
I was expecting to write almost the same review for RJ that I did for VT, but then I saw this car had more power, made me happy. Then I brought it to the dirt and snow… the speed was great, but like the stratos this car over steered a lot, though this was easier to get under control…. If you had the room. I think some of this over steered had a lot to do with having ABS at 0…. I wanted to shoot someone. This car every time you applied the brakes, which you have to do when flying down the dirt and snow, sent it into over steer. I don’t know why RJ decided to do that but whatever it’s his choice I am just here to test. A lot of the same issues happened on the snow. But on the track the only problem I had with this car was the ABS at 0, it was killing me when approaching the turns.

Now you’re wondering the times for these cars, I will put them in order from fastest to slowest for each track.

Nordwand K
Jackthalad Subaru – 4:10:335
Krenkme Mitsubishi evo V- 4:12:711
Xdesperado67 Mitsubishi evo VI -4:15:839
Praiano63 Mini- 4:28:236
GFxJG Mini 4:29:434
Cykosis1973 Peugeot 206 – 4:34:771
Rotary Junkie Alpine 4:35:973
Cslacr stratos-4:37:846
Dr_slump Mitsubishi CZ3- 4:40:211
VTiRoj Alpine- 5:39:082

Chamonix west
Jackthalad Subaru- 2:19:652
Krenkme Mitsubishi evo V- 2:21:711
Desperado67 Mitsubishi evo VI- 2:22:382
GfxJG Mini-2:26:382
Praiano63 Mini- 2:27:280
Dr_slump Mitsubishi CZ3-2:27:598
CyKosis1973 Peugeot 206 2:30:638
Cslacr Stratos- 2:59:673
Rotary Junkie Alpine- 3:01:211
VTiRoj Alpine- 3:06:484

Nurburing GP/F
Xdesoeradi67 Evo VI- 2:20:680
Praiano63 Mini- 2:21:141
Krenkme Evo V- 2:21:760
Dr_slump Mitsubishi CZ3-2:22:187
GfxJG Mini- 2:22:864
Cslacr Stratos- 2:24:328
Jackthalad Subaru- 2:24:439
Rotary Junkie Alpine- 2:26:972
Cykosis1973 Peugeot 206- 2:32:772
VtiRoj Alpine- 2:44:823

This is the order that I think which car was best for my taste I don’t know how you can change these into points but these are my picks for best car to worse car.

Krenkme Evo V
Jackthalad Subaru
Xdesperado67 Evo VI
Praiano63 Mini
GfxJG Mini
VTiRoJ Alpine
CyKosis1973 Peugeot
Dr_slump Mitsubishi CZ3
CSLACR Stratos
Rotary Junkie Alpine

Last edited:
get Ready for a wall of text lol

...Interesting results. You did kinda do it wrong I think not using ABS for RJ's car, you were supposed to use the same options for each car...either way, since you've just done it all I won't hold you back in any way now.

Surprised you found the Impreza as slow as it was on the tarmac...I've gotten it in two top three's thus far (though the CZ-3 might knock it out of place at Eiger).

Anyway, conversion to points is simply 1st place gets 3, 2nd gets 2 and 3rd gets 1. In your case...

krenkme - 3 pts
Jackthalad - 2 pts
XDesperado67 - 1 pts

Currently I'd say my preferred order is

Jack's Impreza
Krenkme's Evo
Desperado's Evo
Praiano's Mini
Roj's Alpine
Slump's CZ-3
Cy's 206
RJ's Alpine
Gfx's Mini
CSL's Stratos

Bearing in mind I've only fully compared them on tarmac thus far and still have a ton of testing to come ahead.

@ryangt: You're hitting the brakes too hard in the Alpine. If you're using it on ABS:0 you need to modulate the brakes a bit but it's not ridiculously easy to lock them. That said, yeah, C-ZETA has decided every car has to be tested with the same aids as every other car. So if everyone else had ABS: 1 you should've tested mine with ABS: 1.

Back