ZedTunes' Autumn/Fall Rally Shootout 2011

• Thread starter C-ZETA
  • 544 comments
Wow. I had a crack in a couple of cars last night. Now, it might just be that I've put 700-800 miles on my little Pug (more likely north of 1000 when you consider I'm on my second car :crazy:) and it might just be the combination of drivetrain, weight and power, but I'd suggest that people new(ish) to rally in GT5 might like to take the Pug out for a spin first. I'm not being down on anyone else or trying to big myself up, if anything I'm being a bit down on myself. I've always struggled with the rally element of GT5 and if you have too, then try something a little more sedate than some of the bruisers I've tried. Seriously, before you go jumping in a 300bhp, 1200kg pocket rocket, try it in something a little calmer. You'll do yourself a favour and you'll do the other cars a favour too. You're not going to enjoy them if you're constantly pinging off the barriers :ouch:

On a side note, I had a quick crack at the Japanese 90s Seasonal last night. I had to retrain my fingers to NOT flick the car before each corner :mischievous:

{Cy}

What about a 240hp, 960kg pocket rocket? ;)

That's one of the bruisers I was talking about. That car is just a little bit mental. I require some more wheel time to understand the finer points of it. After the aforementioned hours and miles in the Dirty Pug, the Lancia was something of an ... errrrrm ... eye-opener..??

{Cy}

PS - I love the racket the Lancia makes, sounds properly mechanical...

Did you try my Bubblegum Bandit Cy?
It should be fairly stable on tarmac and snow with gravel the only place it gets a bit loose. Tried to tune it to drive around corners like Loeb says to instead of power sliding them.

Did you try my Bubblegum Bandit Cy?
It should be fairly stable on tarmac and snow with gravel the only place it gets a bit loose. Tried to tune it to drive around corners like Loeb says to instead of power sliding them.

I did Sir. I only managed a few laps of the Eiger K Trail (my proving ground for this event), it'll easily do sub 4:00, hell, I might even post sub 4:00 in it..!! Took me a little while to adjust to power going to the rear wheels, that freaked me a bit (well used to FWD now :indiff:).

Could I ask everyone to keep their cars shared for a few days after the testing deadline?? I've got friends visiting this weekend, so won't have any time and I'd really like to try as many cars on as many surfaces as I can.

I'm also trying to put together a "Rally Party Pack", which has eaten into my already limited time. I eventually hope to produce 6 cars for the Pack...

{Cy}

Got another problem with RJ's car - no downforce, which was required as said on the OP. Again, doesn't look like anybody's tested it yet, but it's kinda broken one of the rules on parts.

Also started my first testing, will have results soon enough.

Got another problem with RJ's car - no downforce, which was required as said on the OP. Again, doesn't look like anybody's tested it yet, but it's kinda broken one of the rules on parts.

Also started my first testing, will have results soon enough.

So, should I stick a wing on the back of it, set downforce to 5 and call it good?

It's not going to be driven until this is over anyway. :lol:

:confused: Also still don't see a wing on the back of that Alpine, you're the last guy I need to test for the first part of my testing.

Also, I have to ask Slump, is it actually possible to fit downforce on a CZ-3? Just curious because I know it doesn't, I know the Minis are excluded from it but don't know about the CZ-3. I reckon it doesn't, being a concept, but just felt like checking.

Also the testing deadline is actually now indefinite. Will probably more likely be just finished after all the testing results of the other 3 testers and me are in.

:confused: Also still don't see a wing on the back of that Alpine, you're the last guy I need to test for the first part of my testing.

Might be because I've not switched my cables over to my PS3 to fix that yet. Gimme 10 minutes.

Also, I have to ask Slump, is it actually possible to fit downforce on a CZ-3? Just curious because I know it doesn't, I know the Minis are excluded from it but don't know about the CZ-3. I reckon it doesn't, being a concept, but just felt like checking.

Also the testing deadline is actually now indefinite. Will probably more likely be just finished after all the testing results of the other 3 testers and me are in.

It's actually not possible to mount a wing on my Alpine. If I try, the entire bootlid will turn into dust.

Really Kool Machines.

More like 'Ruddy Krap Machines'.

Edit: Since no one's been adding anything, I'll use this as my results post as well.

Tarmac Test Course: Toscana Custom Track, 'Mt Akina', 4.10 miles X 2 (Total length - 8.20 Miles)
Gravel Test Course: Eiger Nordwand W Trail, 0.98 miles X 4 (Total length - 3.96 Miles)
Snow Test Course: Alaska Custom Track, Alaska Rally1S, 5.50 miles X 1

CSLACR's Lancia Stratos-

Tarmac: Well tuned 1st for standing starts. A lot of grip in the corners, less scary than any other Stratos I've driven. Very quick turn in. Feels too numb in corners sometimes.
Gravel: Very easy to work with, even on a relatively unknown surface. Very controllable, easy to manage. Doesn't bite. Much. Need to tread carefully, too much throttle + short wheel base + slippery gravel = spin. Great fun to try and master though.
Snow: Edgy. Scary. 1st is useless, need to short shift. Car lacks grip on surfaces and on turns with banking.

XDesperado's Mitsubishi Evo VI RS T.M-

Tarmac: Doesn't feel particularly fast, pulls well. Corners like a dream, fun when wanted, efficient and easy to handle when needed. No AYC = Better, feels like it has AYC, sans the unpredictable swaying. Responsive in corners, great fun to hoon. Reminds me of the Bergmeister.
Gravel: Not much difference between this and the actual rally car. Faster than a 710hp Gallardo, stable, sure-footed. Can actually corner on dirt, rather than drift. Remains easy to drive. One of few Evos I think I'm starting to like.
Snow: WEEEEEE!!!!! I AM DRIVING GOD!!!! Super fun, super easy to control. Car handles almost perfectly. Very confident in letting you push the limits. Makes you have no fear, even in snow. Yes, this is an Evo I like. Ohhh yes.

GfxJG's Mini Cooper S-

Tarmac: Feels faster than it is. Sharp turn in for a FF. Huge grip makes you feel confident. FF understeer makes you ruin your pants. Overconfidence is an issue, many occasions, I've understeered off due to trusting the grippy feeling too much. Also tries to oversteer on corner entry. Wheelspinning lunatic of a car, wears out tyres after two laps, but is still easy to drive. I like.
Gravel: Wheelspins to hell and back. Steering is sharp, but the rest of the car is just dragged straight ahead by the engine. It's only drivable on exit to most corners in gears as high as 4th (as a minimum). Hard to maintain momentum through corners.
Snow: Doesn't wheelspin as much on this surface. Does have some form of torque steer/slight uncontrolled veering on bumpy surfaces. Brakes need to be stronger, can't stop it quick enough. Understeers on banked corners unless you take the inner most line.

Jackthalad's Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec C RA-

Tarmac: Grip. Mental grip. Verging slightly towards understeer when pushed. Best driven smoothly. Very easy car to drive fast. Just keep it smooth. Most relaxing car to drive of the lot. Gears need to be made longer to keep the RA in the power band more.
Gravel: Smooth as silk. Honestly. I have never driven a car, any tuned car, that's so relaxing and easy. It encourages you not to push the limits. It also seems to act as a sensory deprivation tank, you could be doing a 1:10.xxx lap, but inside, it feels like a 1:30.xxx lap. A really odd car. But also the fastest. By 5 full seconds. :eek: I am officially :confused:'d.
Snow: Slightly rougher ride, but still not what you'd call stressy. It responds well to 4 wheel drifting, so don't try any opposite lock. It'll bite you for that. But overall, I think this is the easiest car to drive of the lot.

VTiRoj's Alpine A110 1600S-

Tarmac: Um……let's see. Grips well enough for a RR, handling is fairly balanced and there is some fun for when you get a tad bored. Which you will. It's got less power than an ant, but it can out handle and out run a DC5 Integra. :eek: The steering is fairly quick, but there just isn't enough power for me to accurately make any judgments.
Gravel: That's more like it. Sort of. Because of the frankly pathetic power, you only really need a touch of brakes and a bit of momentum to get it around corners quickly. But don't forget, it is a RR. Too much, and you'll be back where you started. And there's so little power, I didn't exceed 80 in the whole 4 laps of testing. (4 laps, 6 minutes *yawn*) If there is a problem here, it's the restrictions.
Snow: Much of the same. Except that you can keep the throttle wielded wide open and it won't make a difference as you can't get up to much speed in the first place. There isn't that much wrong about the car, in fact, there is only one issue. The ruddy stupid restictions.

krenkme's Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR-

Tarmac: Super close ratios gears means this can hang with Vipers and M5s from a standing start. Grip > handling. Tyre wear is biased towards the front. Turn in is good, as is the lack of an AYC. No awful electronics spoiling the experience here. Very easy car to drive fast, like all Japanese 4WD sport saloons.
Gravel: Understeers a tad on gravel if you're not careful. Flicking it into turns seems to work better than turning into the corner. Throttle control is also something to be aware of, such short gears seem to amplify handling issues and understeer. Still very easy and fun to drive.
Snow: Still a grip monster. Doesn't let go, flies though corners with ease regardless of how much grip is there. Feels like it can handle even more power. Good car all round.

Rotary Junkie's Alpine A110 1600S-

Tarmac: 1st is too long, RJ!!!! You of all people should know!!! It bogs down when you try to launch it from a standing start. Otherwise, it's an…ok car. The handling is fairly good, nice and easy to drive. A bit of an arse when you overdo it, but it's RR, what do you expect? It also has a strange sense that it isn't quite finished. The handling, though fairly good as said, is a tad inconsistent. Still, not too bad for just 175hp.
Gravel: Ah. Now I see why 1st is so long. It's to stop the thing from smacking the redline constantly in the lower gears, right? Anyway, the car is more of about thrill and slide rather than say…grip and glide, like the Evos and Scooby. But it understeers a tad if you brake too late, sometimes, you could have too much momentum and spin it. But only if you're as thick as me. Throttle control is required, though you don't need to be god like at it.
Snow: Need to have better throttle control. Tank-slappers are irrecoverable from, unless you're very lucky or run into a fence of sorts. Compounded by sensitive steering, RR layout and lack of grip. Loves to slide, very controlled. Till the lack of grip overwhelms it.

CyKosis1973's Peugeot 206 S16-

Tarmac: Goes like that ricey 90hp shopping trolley we all seem to have in mind, but grips enough to compensate. Understeer is kept to a minimum and there's fun to be had when you give it a flick into the corner. Very easy to drive, responsive steering and no understeer issues means this car is great fun.
Gravel: Much of the same, rear is more slippery, front still grips well. Still easy to drive. Still fun. A good starting car if you've just started rally driving.
Snow: Understeers if you're not careful, and that will range from slight understeer to simply failing to steer at all, depending on the situation. Otherwise, top of the FWD class.

praiano63's Mini Cooper S-

Tarmac: Rather loose, actually. Nothing like any of the FF cars in the shootout, rather drives more like those cars from the FF shootout from days gone by. A very eager car, good fun. 1st is too short for standing start launch.
Gravel: Gears are too short, car is redlining on the dirt even in 4th, but I'm only going 14mph. Braking causes the revs to plummet, handling isn't as good as it was on tarmac.
Snow: Steering is heavier, car can't quite cope with elevation changes and banking as well as it should. Slightly more understeer.

dr_slump's Mitsubishi CZ3 Tarmac-

Tarmac: Saved the best till last. Hugely fun, hugely fast. Grips like RS tyres, easy to drive. A bit on the loose side, but really controllable. Good feeling through the steering. Best car of the lot on tarmac.
Gravel: A different story altogether. Very slippery for a 4WD car. Unable to stick to its line consistently. Doesn't feel too quick.
Snow: A mix of the above. It still lacks the speedy feel, but is good fun to hoon, very easy to drive and quite fast. Brakes are a bit too soft for snow.

Rankings-

FWD (Tarmac)- Praiano's Mini Cooper S
FWD (Gravel)- Cykosis1973's Peugeot 206
FWD (Snow)- Cykosis1973's Peugeot 206

FWD (Overall)- Cykosis1973's Peugeot 206

RWD (Tarmac)- CSLACR's Stratos
RWD (Gravel)- CSLACR's Stratos
RWD (Snow)- CSLACR's Stratos

RWD (Overall)- CSLACR's Stratos (duh…)

4WD (Tarmac)- Dr_slump's CZ3
4WD (Gravel)- Jackthalad's Subaru Impreza Spec C Type RA
4WD (Snow)- XDesperado's Mitsubishi Evo VI R.S T.M

4WD (Overall)- XDesperado's Mitsubishi Evo VI R.S T.M

Final rankings-
-XDesperado's Mitsubishi Evo VI R.S T.M
-Jackthalad's Subaru Impreza Spec C Type RA
-Dr_slump's CZ3
-krenkme's Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR
-CSLACR's Stratos
-VTiRoj's Alpine A110
-Cykosis1973's Peugeot 206
-Praiano's Mini Cooper S
-GfxJG's Mini Cooper S
-Rotary Junkie's Alpine A1110

Last edited:
Ok, sorry for the double post, but I just want to say something.
1. My results are above.
2. I haven't listed my snow test track for a reason.

Why? Let's just say my first practices in the Stratos didn't go as well as I'd hope.

*Black out*
……Yeaa. You get the idea. I fell into a ditch, gunned it, ditch bounced me out, I shot across to other side, hit another bump, the car took off and speared into the barriers. And as a result, I'm off driving anything fast and expensive like that Stratos for now. I need to learn the track first :lol:

@Onboy try my snow course. It's 5.5 miles of high speed snowmobiling fun!:D

Oh, I can do much better than that. Wanna see what I did when I took the Stratos to Trial Mountain?

Also I've finished testing on Tokyo Bay and Trial Mountain, barely started the ten lap Eiger yet but have got one car done already. Will start my test results soon-ish.

Oh, I can do much better than that. Wanna see what I did when I took the Stratos to Trial Mountain?

Also I've finished testing on Tokyo Bay and Trial Mountain, barely started the ten lap Eiger yet but have got one car done already. Will start my test results soon-ish.

Go on then :lol: (Sorry CSLACR)

Right, here are my testing results. All runs are being done with Auto transmission, Sports Medium Tyres obviously, TCS off, SRF off, Active Steering off, ASM off, ABS 1, Grip Reduction Low, Mechanical Damage None and finally, Steering Sensitivity to 0.

CSLACR - Lancia Stratos '73
Tarmac: Pretty decent in a straight line. Understeers in corners but gives a few little slides out of them, which are actually rather controllable.
Gravel: Rather slippery, but not too hard to keep facing the right way.
Snow: Pretty slippery, and making a mistake has much consequence, in that it is very hard to keep it where it is after slipping too wide. If you can keep it under control, it's OK, but still is slidey, albeit not hard to keep facing the right way again.

XDesperado67 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI RS T.M. '00
Tarmac: Fast cornering, good speed too. Can hold my line very well in corners.
Gravel: Can keep a pretty constant pace with the car and decent speed in corners. Pretty easy to drive about also.
Snow: A bit erratic out of slower corners, but fast corners are very good with this thing. Basically, the faster you go, the better the car is.

GfxJG - Mini Cooper S '05
Tarmac: You don't feel the understeer there, but there is a lot more than you think. Fast enough down straights but still suffers more in corners.
Gravel: A bit too grippy for my taste. Also suffers from some very odd gear spasms when braking in any higher than 2nd.
Snow: Very bizarre and slippery. Correcting a slide gives a dramatic swing back and disorientated me more often than not.

Jackthalad - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec C Type RA '05
Tarmac: Good speed, slick cornering. Personal favourite on tarmac here, though not quite the fastest.
Gravel: Still not slidey enough, but still a fast car regardless. However, it just wasn't fun enough for me because of the lack of any proper sliding ability.
Snow: Same as above - grippy, fast, but not enough fun.

VTiRoj - Alpine A110 1600S '73
Tarmac: Simple, easy handling, with the occasional close-to slide on the way out. Very relaxing drive, not as slow as you'd have yourself believe.
Gravel: Again, simple handling, and not too wild steering. Hills on the Eiger Trails tend to hurt it very badly though.
Snow: Another very simple drive. Not as slidey as you'd expect from an RR, although the power somewhat helps that regard.

krenkme - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR '98
Tarmac: Slightly slower Evo VI with a little worse steering but not much worse. Gearing is very short which sets it back on longer straights.
Gravel: As above - slightly slower Evo VI with a bit more controllable handling this time. Gearing doesn't matter as much here thankfully.
Snow: Very slidey, and feels fast. Easily my personal favourite on the snow.

Rotary Junkie - Alpine A110 1600S '73
Tarmac: Not brilliant into corners and slidey out of them. OK acceleration but not as great as would be expected. 1st gear does need to be shorter in general.
Gravel: Has a surprisingly low limit to its cornering before spinning out. Said limit is much easier to hit in tighter corners though, it's alright in medium angle corners.
Snow: Hard to keep in a straight line, and hopeless in tighter turns. Back of the class here I'm afraid.

CyKosis1973 - Peugeot 206 S16 '99
Tarmac: Not as much understeer as would be thought of from an FF, and has semi-fast acceleration. If you've come out of the wrong car though it can affect your performance with it.
Gravel: Simple drive, can flick about rather well. Less power makes its job easier and still makes for a pretty good ride.
Snow: Grippy, but actually feels quite fun. Pretty fast given how it only has 170bhp, which I presume gives it more fun factor.

dr_slump - Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac '01
Tarmac: Not great steering, but huge speed and acceleration makes this the fastest car on the tarmac (the name does it some justice too). Steering again is a minor let down though.
Gravel: Easy to keep in a straight line and doesn't constantly end up hitting walls. Handling is actually a little bit more controllable here this time.
Snow: Very easy to throw about on wide tracks yet keep in a straight line. Very enjoyable in general on the snow.

praiano63 - Mini Cooper S '05
Tarmac: You can feel more understeer than Gfx's but there isn't as much there. Also quite a bit faster down straights and could even keep up with the 4WD biggies at points.
Gravel: Very, very fast on gravel, and has rather good steering in fast turns. Has good grip out of slower turns, but lacks a little slidiness, although the FF drivetrain might as well have something to do with that.
Snow: Much more controllable than Gfx's. Also still good in a straight line, gear ratios seem to help this regard pretty well.

Final result:

1. XDesperado67 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI RS T.M. '00 (Best all-rounder of the lot, good tarmac, nice gravel and a good snow performance give it my 3 points)
2. krenkme - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR '98 (Easily the best on snow, outclassed by the Evo and Impreza on tarmac though and just a little bit down on gravel)
3. Jackthalad - Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi Spec C Type RA '05 (Speed is there, and grip on all three surfaces, but gravel and snow fun just lacking)
4. CyKosis1973 - Peugeot 206 S16 '99 (good on tarmac but only if you've got the right driving feel, decent gravel ability, fun in snow)
5. dr_slump - Mitsubishi CZ-3 Tarmac '01 (Very good all-rounder and the fastest tarmac racer, pretty fun, but handling is not good enough on tarmac to give it enough justice, off-road speed is too slow as well)
6. praiano63 - Mini Cooper S '05 (startlingly fast in a straight line on all surfaces and not bad on any surface but feeling on tarmac is a slight off-put)
7. VTiRoj - Alpine A110 1600S '73 (pleasant to drive and not that slow, plus handling is not bad, but lack of power is an obvious achilles heel)
8. GfxJG - Mini Cooper S '05 (handling not close enough to praiano's, is OK on gravel but loses out horribly with snow ability)
9. CSLACR - Lancia Stratos '73 (understeer on tarmac and very slippery everywhere else. Not much to be done in an MR car like this, but it is fast in a straight line)
10. Rotary Junkie - Alpine A110 1600S '73 (very odd on almost all surfaces - tarmac is understeery into corners, gravel is slippery, snow is even more so)

Last edited:
Back