Sleepers

• Thread starter turboash78
  • 185 comments
Canada
Regina, SK
Turboash
I love sleepers :mischievous:, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.
I'd like to hear other's thoughts, favourites, lesser-knowns, stories etc. on this topic.

My town has a drad strip with street legal races every Friday. I loved it when an old turbo Caravan whooped some punk in a Civic who thought all those decals added 10hp to his 'ride', then beat a Mustang GT just for the fun of it.

My favourite sleeper has to be the '86 Omni GLHS.

I think drag racing is stupid. Where does driver skill come into it and basically as soon as you look under the hood you will know which one will win.

My favorite sleeper: Buick Regal GS
buickregalgs20016sm.jpg

Young_Warrior
I think drag racing is stupid. Where does driver skill come into it and basically as soon as you look under the hood you will know which one will win.
There is so much more; tires, gear ratio, shifting skill, suspension setup/shock valving, as well as everything you can't see under the hood like the injector/jet sizing.

I like sleepers like BMW's and audi's. Usually with drag racinbg the person that has spent the most money will have the faster car and will win.

Most of you would know my opinion would be Mitsubishi based, but I think a great sleeper is a 1991 or 1992 US-Spec Galant VR-4.

TS1AWD
.....but I think a great sleeper is a 1991 or 1992 US-Spec Galant VR-4.
+1

Perfect example of a sleeper. You can mod the hell out of a GVR-4, and no one looking at it would think its anything other than a bland little japanese sedan. Like most sleepers, if you know what to look for, you can spot them. But, to the masses, they are just boring cars. Great sleeper.

Hilg

Love a good sleeper. The idea of having something so standard but yet so potent is a nice thought. I'm definitely gonna make one of my cars a sleeper.

Nissan SER Spec V 02 and older.

It looks like a regular sentra, until you hit a few corners and the great handling and LSD kick in. Not to mention the formitable power(torque) to hang with most FF.

Young_Warrior
I like sleepers like BMW's and audi's. Usually with drag racinbg the person that has spent the most money will have the faster car and will win.
BMWs? Audis? My ass they're sleepers.

Their models all have an exterior and a background (and price tag) to match their horsepower.

Any of the late 60's/early 70's wagons would make a great sleeper. They weren't really too many factory sleepers though.

They will all hold the same massive engines their 2-door brothers will, and the long tail hides the tubs/slicks :)

Does anyone think a WRX wagon qualifies as a sleeper?

My stepdad's got a regal GS.. It's a fast car!

I love the old wagons, There's nothing like smoking a Camaro with the kids in the back. :dopey:

My Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon.
222 Horsepower stock.
3100 pounds.
The tuning and turbo STOCK gives incredible response.
You would not believe how nice it is at 135 mph.
It trades low RPM torque for lots of mid-range and high torque and the response at high speed is insane.

Swift

It looks like a regular sentra, until you hit a few corners and the great handling and LSD kick in. Not to mention the formitable power(torque) to hang with most FF.

I owned a '98 200SX SE-R (2 door Sentra) and it was fast as hell stock--and had some serious grip...then when you reached the limit oversteer oversteer oversteer...it was brilliant. One of the best cars Nissan ever made. And I've surprised many ricer boys in that car as well as had a few Mustang GT drivers do a double take. But it would not qualify as a sleeper because it's the top model with "SE-R" written on it. I'd have to say the best sleeper I've ever seen is also the 91/92 Galant VR-4. Back then no one knew it was that fast and handled that well...and still to this day if you find one in good shape it will spank alot of modern cars...and can easily be modified to product a HUGE amount of power. Great, thanks guys now I want one. :sly:

And to answer the question above--no the WRX estate doesn't belong on a sleeper list. 👎

my 2001 Silverado LS standard cab with the 5.3L V8. I have done the following to it.
Cold air intake +25hp +20lb ft
3 turbonators +50hp +45lb ft
Muffler +5 hp +5lb ft
CPU reflash +10hp +15lb ft (98mph governor is now gone :))
Total HP to date= roughly 390hp.
1/8mile = 9.3@72mph

And for another 1500 dollars. I can get my mechanic to build my engine to produce over 750HP. With no body modifications. LOL. I already outrun brand new Mustang GT's. Imagine a 750hp Silverado. SLEEPER :)

1989therat
my 2001 Silverado LS standard cab with the 5.3L V8. I have done the following to it.
Muffler +5 hp +5lb ft
1/8mile = 9.3@72mph

And for another 1500 dollars. I can get my mechanic to build my engine to produce over 750HP. With no body modifications. LOL. I already outrun brand new Mustang GT's. Imagine a 750hp Silverado. SLEEPER :)

With 750bhp you won't be a sleep with that kind of exhaust it will undoubtibly be heard. :sly:

lol..true..hehehe..But people at school are amazed that my "truck" is the fastest Vehicle there. They say "its a ****ing truck" and I laugh at them.

1989therat
There is nothing, repeat NOTHING, that will increase power by sitting right in the path of moving air.

And 3 of them means you just installed 3 times the restriction in your intake.

1989therat
:lol:
1989therat
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1989therat
Muffler +5 hp +5lb ft
:lol:
1989therat
:lol: :lol:
1989therat
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1989therat
1/8mile = 9.3@72mph
:rolleyes:
1989therat
And for another 1500 dollars. I can get my mechanic to build my engine to produce over 750HP.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats the funniest thing you said right there. You think $1500 is going to get you 750hp???? Honestly??? No chance. And, if you really think that a couple bolt-ons make your truck quick enough to keep with a new Mustang, you need to rethink things.

You started with a truck that made 295hp at the crank, which is about 240-250ish at the wheels. Now, with all your "mods" you've done, it might make 260ish. MAYBE. That much power in a big truck weighing a good chunk over 4000lbs will not be keeping up with any new Mustangs. Sorry, thats just the truth.

Maybe in your imaginary world, where your truck makes 400hp, and Turbonators are viable mods, it might. In the real world, a Mustang making basically the same power, and weighing 1000lbs less, will easilly leave you.

Hilg

Yeah but the site told me :rolleyes:

"The Turbonator is much less expensive and more efficient than any turbocharger, superchargerblower, or intercooler., "

Im going to forget about upgrading my Turbocharger now and buy 10 turbonator's, that should be god for about 350hp gain.... cool.

Made me laugh :lol:

Actually its easy to make a Silverado keep up with a Mustang, and for 1500 bucks you can do a pretty good number on the truck. If its diesel you can really get some good power out of it. But a CAI, exhaust, and CPU reflash might give you around 50hp and that's mostly from the CPU reflash. Plus you don't need the turbonator on a Vortec engine since a Vortec spins the air anyways.

But the best two sleepers I've ever seen were:

- 1997 4 door Blazer, dark cherry red, lowered 2 inches, and it had a bulit LS1 under the hood pushing around 500 ponies. And the best part was it looked like an old guys truck.

- 1995 Astro (on cardomain), blue, ugly gold rims that came stock on the thing, but there was an LS1 in that thing too...plus I'm sure it was still AWD.

My friend has a good sleeper, its a 1985 Nissan Bluebird wagon GL (910) with a modified SR20DET the engine on engine dyno before it went in the car put out 646hp 500ftlb's on a safe tune without using nitrous oxide (he has nitrous oxide connected but never used or tuned with it). The only problem is the intercooler give's it away abit :(.

BlazinXtreme
Actually its easy to make a Silverado keep up with a Mustang.....
Sure, but not with the mods he listed. Not even close. It will take a good deal more power to make a 300hp, 4500lb truck keep up with a 300hp, 3400lb Mustang. Possible, just not probable with his listed mods.
BlazinXtreme
.....and for 1500 bucks you can do a pretty good number on the truck. If its diesel you can really get some good power out of it.
True, but his isn't a Duramax. Anything that starts with a turbo stock can be given a good deal more power with $1500. More boost and some bolt-ons can easilly give a turbo car an extra 75hp. But, with his 5.3L, I don't see $1500 getting him anywhere close to 750hp, as he thinks. Just won't happen.

Hilg

Swift

Nah... best is the "classic" SE-R, just as fast, and with about 40 less hp, to boot. An especially good sleeper with a DET swap. It's been around for a long time and it's still relatively unknown.

BTW, like that Bluebird... best sleeper I've seen around here is a Cefiro 2.4 GTS-R (KA24DE) swapped to a RB25DET... car looks like absolute ****, bad paint, cheap fiberglass vent hood, dings everywhere... but runs like crazy.

turboash78
I love sleepers :mischievous:, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.
I'd like to hear other's thoughts, favourites, lesser-knowns, stories etc. on this topic.

My town has a drad strip with street legal races every Friday. I loved it when an old turbo Caravan whooped some punk in a Civic who thought all those decals added 10hp to his 'ride', then beat a Mustang GT just for the fun of it.

My favourite sleeper has to be the '86 Omni GLHS.
we have the same taste, eh! :dopey:

Latest Posts

Back