Please DON'T buy the PS3 until Sony drops the price

• Thread starter VNAF Ace
  • 124 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Event
People bought the 360 for $1200. $600 is cheap.
No it isn't. And Microsoft wasn't forcing people to pay $1200; that was the buyer's choice.

Tekken 6, Virtua Fighter 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, FFXIII, GT5 and many more. People will buy this, the poor are not worthy. 360's were selling for nutty prices Sony keeping sotres well stocked will kill off the auction madness(but maybe not the xmas rush). Also if its anything like PSP it wont matter were the system came from jpn or US.

The software alone will convince gamers aside from the loads features it has. I'll lay down 6 big ones for it on launch day..... and probalby have a bigger HDTV by then.

I dont think ill spend $600 on videogames [PS3], the $500 machine is not an option.. I dont like the cheap version of ****. Who knows though, I'm a sucker for hype and might buy two. :D

Anyone who pays $600 for a video game console has a screw loose. I can build a decent PC for $600 and it will be better then the PS3. I think Sony is making a big mistake on this and it's a big step up for the 360. Now if Microsoft drops 50 bucks off the 360 or includes Halo 3 with the purchase of the system they will win the console war...hands down.

BlazinXtreme
Anyone who pays $600 for a video game console has a screw loose. I can build a decent PC for $600 and it will be better then the PS3. I think Sony is making a big mistake on this and it's a big step up for the 360. Now if Microsoft drops 50 bucks off the 360 or includes Halo 3 with the purchase of the system they will win the console war...hands down.

I think I have to agree..... Sony have really got something wrong here.....

BlazinXtreme
I can build a decent PC for $600 and it will be better then the PS3.

If you're talking about "better" as in "higher game performance" then you're very much mistaken. You might not even be able to put together a PC at the moment that's as powerful as the PS3, at any cost. To build the highest spec PC currently available would cost several thousand dollars (just as Pako). For $600 US you wouldn't get anywhere near the expected (or even currently observed) performance of the PS3.

That's twice tonight you've made a definitive statement that's clearly false (or at the very least ill-informed).

Uhhh I built a pretty high end computer for about 900 bucks and I have a pretty overkill system. I bet I can build a pretty good computer for 600 bucks.

BlazinXtreme
Anyone who pays $600 for a video game console has a screw loose. I can build a decent PC for $600 and it will be better then the PS3.

Tell me you were kidding.

Please.

BlazinXtreme
Uhhh I built a pretty high end computer for about 900 bucks and I have a pretty overkill system. I bet I can build a pretty good computer for 600 bucks.

Go for it. Good luck finding a bluray drive. If you can match (or even get close) to the spec of PS3 for $600 US or less (pricing components from reputable manufacturers/parts sellers) I'll be extremely surprised (because I know it's not possible).

No I'm not, computers aren't expensive if you know where to buy parts at. I bought everyone of my parts on the internet and I spent 900 bucks including a X-fi sound card, 6800 Geforce car, 3.2 GHz processor, 300GB hard drive, 1Gb of Ram, powersupply, new mouse, new keyboard, and a case. I also put in blue neon lights. Trust me you can build a good computer for 900 bucks with little problems and you can do more on a computer...like internet, type word documents, power point presentations, store termendous amounts of crap, and do all sorts of more useful things then play games.

A computer that will play games with full features, with max video settings and advanced visual effects at HDTV resolution, that will have a blu-ray drive, that will have an Aegis physics co-processor to assist it's mutli-core processor... for 600$? (heck, even 900$??)

At StolenWare, right?

BlazinXtreme
No I'm not, computers aren't expensive if you know where to buy parts at. I bought everyone of my parts on the internet and I spent 900 bucks including a X-fi sound card, 6800 Geforce car, 3.2 GHz processor, 300GB hard drive, 1Gb of Ram, powersupply, new mouse, new keyboard, and a case. I also put in blue neon lights. Trust me you can build a good computer for 900 bucks with little problems and you can do more on a computer...like internet, type word documents, power point presentations, store termendous amounts of crap, and do all sorts of more useful things then play games.

Yeah, I know. I'm well aware of the costs involved in the current PC components market, I priced and built my current system myself.

Yes, you could buy a decent PC for $600 US. I'm not disputing that. However, it's going to be miles away in terms of performance from PS3. The difference would be like comparing the PS2 to the PS3 probably. Even if you went for the absolute highest spec PC currently available it wouldn't be able to challenge the spec of the PS3 and it would cost literally thousands of dollars.

Yes, you can do a lot more than just play games with a PC, that's why I qualified my point by saying "If you're talking about "better" as in "higher game performance" then you're very much mistaken."

You didn't pick me up on this in your next post, so I assumed we were agree on this.

edit: Just admit you're wrong and we can get this thread back on topic...

No, not at that, but I'm saying you can buy a pretty damn good computer for 600 bucks...and you'll be able to do millions of things on it other then just games.

And I bought a majority of my computer stuff from the internet (newegg), MicroCenter, and picked up the mouse, keyboard, and case at a computer show. For 900 bucks I have a PC that will last me through college and it plays games decently enough for me.

Yeah, I know. I'm well aware of the costs involved in the current PC components market, I priced and built my current system myself.

Then why doubt me?

Yes, you could buy a decent PC for $600 US. I'm not disputing that. However, it's going to be miles away in terms of performance from PS3. The difference would be like comparing the PS2 to the PS3 probably. Even if you went for the absolute highest spec PC currently available it wouldn't be able to challenge the spec of the PS3 and it would cost literally thousands of dollars.

My resolution is stopped by my monitor, it doesn't like big resolutions...but my computer will handle it. I play games at 1024 x something (game depending). I have no issues and they look pretty good.

Yes, you can do a lot more than just play games with a PC, that's why I qualified my point by saying "If you're talking about "better" as in "higher game performance" then you're very much mistaken."

What good is a game console for doing anything else? Nothing...money better spent on a computer.

I can do much more things with a $15K hatchback than a $30K+ sports cars. But that doesn't mean the one paying $40K for his sports car "has a screw loose", now, does it?

And I certainly wouldn't claim that the $15K hatch will have the same performance.

No but paying $600 for a video game system is stupid, hell even the 400 bucks for the 360 is a lot for a console. But seriously a 600 dollar video game system is stupid. Plus the parents who are going to run out and buy it for their kids are stupid to. If you want to waste your own money on it go for it...but I'll stick to my PC.

BlazinXtreme
Then why doubt me?

I don't doubt you. I disagree with you. You don't seem to understand what kind of spec we're talking about with the PS3.

BlazinXtreme
My resolution is stopped by my monitor, it doesn't like big resolutions...but my computer will handle it. I play games at 1024 x something (game depending). I have no issues and they look pretty good.

The GT HD demo is running at 1920x1080 HD @60fps and it's only a demo of a game that's still in development. There are roughly 2.6 times the number of pixels alone in a 1920x1080 presentation compared to a 1024x768 presentation. That's not to mention the added details, textures, polygon count etc involved in PS3 game content compared to current PC content.

BlazinXtreme
What good is a game console for doing anything else? Nothing...money better spent on a computer.

It seems to me like you're changing your argument because you know you're wrong. When you made your original claim ("I can build a decent PC for $600 and it will be better then the PS3."), what exactly did you mean by "better"? I took it as meaning better game performance, I said this in a post and you didn't disagree with me. Did you mean better game performance or just "better" in terms of the number of things it can do, or something else entirely?

BlazinXtreme
No but paying $600 for a video game system is stupid, hell even the 400 bucks for the 360 is a lot for a console. But seriously a 600 dollar video game system is stupid. Plus the parents who are going to run out and buy it for their kids are stupid to. If you want to waste your own money on it go for it...but I'll stick to my PC.

I know. that money would be much better spent if it had been invested in more useful things, such as putting a Corvette steering rack, custom lights or lowering springs on a Blazer.

Stupid people.

I don't doubt you. I disagree with you. You don't seem to understand what kind of spec we're talking about with the PS3.

I've seen the specs on the PS3 and they are good. But you seemed to doubt me I could build a good computer for 600 bucks. Which you can. Sure it might not be as high res but at least I can do work on it.

Did you mean better game performance or just "better" in terms of the number of things it can do, or something else entirely?

Better in the sense that it's better. Sure the graphics won't be that high but it will do more things, more practical, and you will get more use out of a PC...without a question.

I know. that money would be much better spent if it had been invested in more useful things, such as putting a Corvette steering rack, custom lights or lowering springs on a Blazer.

F&%^ off, don't bring my truck into this discussion about the PS3. I never once have said that that stuff was needed on my truck. Quit being a jack ass and lay off my truck. But really a PC is needed in this day and age.

BlazinXtreme
No, not at that.... snip....

Then why doubt me?

....snip.....

He isnt doubting you, what Amp99 has said was that you cannot build a PC to rival the PS3 for $600 dollars like you mentioned you could. You are talking Amp88's question out of context now saying that the money is better spend on upgrading your pc. Maybe it is but it comes down to what ever floats different peoples boats, some people like to play computer games on the best system possible (should be the PS3 on release) where some people like to have muti purpose equiptment.

Spec....

Ps You can listen to cds,watch DVD's, Blueray discs, in surround sound and also in HD format. Hardly just a games console for doing nothing else with really.

BlazinXtreme
But you seemed to doubt me I could build a good computer for 600 bucks.

That's blatantly false. Have you read what I've said?

BlazinXtreme
Better in the sense that it's better. Sure the graphics won't be that high but it will do more things, more practical, and you will get more use out of a PC...without a question.

Ok, I'm satisfied you've changed your original argument because you know it was false. Thanks for your time.

It's not stupid, if you look at what go with the 600 package, you'll see $600 is a reasonable price. you go ahead and stick with your PC, and please, don't call people stupid, it doesn't make you any smarter.

I'm sorry spending 600 bucks on a video game system is a stupid purchase...I bet dollars to donuts Sony's only selling it that high because they know people are stupid enough to buy it...I hope it fails.

It has to be said, it is pretty expensive... :(

ATM you can't build a ps3 quality pc for $600, but in a years time...we shall see.

p.s FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!11!

BlazinXtreme
I bet dollars to donuts Sony's only selling it that high because they know people are stupid enough to buy it..

Im no expert on the matter but i always thought that computor companys lost money on the actual base units of any games system. Its in software etc where the will make their profit. So if i were to take a guess sony are actually going to sell us the PS3 cheap. I could be wrong though

Spec...

I wasn't aware of that, but if that's the case then that's the case.

BlazinXtreme
F&%^ off, don't bring my truck into this discussion about the PS3. I never once have said that that stuff was needed on my truck. Quit being a jack ass and lay off my truck. But really a PC is needed in this day and age.

Insults put aside, your point is? Did anyone ever said that a game console is needed?

Sorry if you can't see the irony in you trying to educate people about how stupid they are for investing 600$ for endless hours of entertainment.

I don't give a **** about you spending thousands on a Blazer, it's your money, and you know how much you enjoy it or not. I've never mentioned it before, other than to say that it does look good. By the same token, don't come here telling me I'm stupid if I spend 600 bucks on a game console though, and tell me I could have spent it on more useful things, while making dubious claims about it's relative performance. And don't call me a jackass because I return your own argument on yourself.

Specialized
Im no expert on the matter but i always thought that computor companys lost money on the actual base units of any games system. Its in software etc where the will make their profit. So if i were to take a guess sony are actually going to sell us the PS3 cheap. I could be wrong though

Spec...

Yep, absolutely right. In the article I quoted from earlier, the initial cost of manufacturing each PS3 "could approach $900". Sony will be making a loss on each and every unit they sell at launch.

The way you guys talk a video game system is a better purchase then a PC, which it's not. Like I said graphics or not a 600 PC is better then a 600 PS3.

I'm not trying to educate anyone, I'm just saying that you'd be better off buying or upgrading your PC over buying a PS3.

And you were the one who brought my truck into the discussion...NEVER talk bad about my truck, and if you do it makes you a jackass. Why the hell would you bash something that means so much to one person...and if you say the PS3 means that much to you I will laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back