Capp Cup v3.0 - SEASON 3 COMPLETE! DSGERBC CHAMP!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,699 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You plan to *teach them how to row and one to yell row?

That commercial cracks me up. :lol:

I have the car, I think. The Red Alfa with 139 (or some other 3 digit number emblazoned in blue on a white field), right? So, I should test this thing without any mods other than tires (tyres, if you prefer) in an online room of my choosing, yes?

When you say "no tuning" does that include downforce?

Stigs, I'll be a hamster if you need one, but you'll have to provide the jet car....

Yep, it's got 130 on the side. No Tuning means nothing can change except brake balance and tires. No weight reduction, engine tuning, chassis reinforcing, suspension adjustments or tranny adjustments. When you open your lounge, in the far right hand tab is where you set power/weight/pp etc. restrictions, there you'll find an option for tuning restrictions and set that to "prohibited". If you can enter the track, you're good! If you can't, go back and set everything to "default" (except tires and brakes) and then you should be able to enter the track.

Did I mention how stoked I am to race the Alfa. B you really got me into this car.

Hey Owens, I have v1.1 of your track, have you fixed that horrible left hander yet? it is early-ish on downhill, you claim there is some mythical line that gets through it in 3rd. It kind of start mild then dumps you into a fence, if that rings any bells :)

I love the rest of it, most Eifel tracks are 22 blind turns that dump you into the walls.

Did I mention how stoked I am to race the Alfa. B you really got me into this car.

Right now I think it's my favorite car in the game, there hasn't been another car I latched onto so quickly. The thought of a whole grid of these engines screaming towards the first turn makes me.....well......smile. :dopey:

I'm fond of the High End G37, but that's one that I modified a bit and then took it to Mazda at Laguna Seca... Was fun for 200 miles. :D

Brandon was a little sketchy on the details, but your friendly neighbourhood Racing Director and his trusty sidekicks have been working on fleshing out the details of a plan that would feature an exclusive Lobby network for a limited number of drivers (100-200) featuring regular racing under specific themes, no pubbers to come in and crash and bash their way to an ejection, points systems, regular awards and bonuses, possibly a ranking system, all while driving the kinds of cars you all know and love in the company of drivers you know will adhere to the GTPlanet Racing Rules. And if someone sneaks in under the radar and decides to try and wreak havoc, there'll be a feedback system to handle that as well.

Basically everything you've ever wanted in GT5 but were afraid to ask...lol.

I look forward to seeing the "Private Lounge System" in action. If some of you haven't heard about it yet, there's more information in the link below...it's quite an ingenious idea and I expect it to expand quickly throughout GTP, there's already a couple leagues/groups using it real efficiently.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=229785

Thanks again for the great league directing Brandon and I'm hoping to be able to fit the upcoming Alfa league into my schedule too.

Menown
Hey Owens, I have v1.1 of your track, have you fixed that horrible left hander yet? it is early-ish on downhill, you claim there is some mythical line that gets through it in 3rd. It kind of start mild then dumps you into a fence, if that rings any bells :)

I love the rest of it, most Eifel tracks are 22 blind turns that dump you into the walls.

Yes latest version is called Alfa Fields Circuit and is shared. That turn took some tweaking but it's much better.

I look forward to seeing the "Private Lounge System" in action. If some of you haven't heard about it yet, there's more information in the link below...it's quite an ingenious idea and I expect it to expand quickly throughout GTP, there's already a couple leagues/groups using it real efficiently.

Thanks again for the great league directing Brandon and I'm hoping to be able to fit the upcoming Alfa league into my schedule too.

That's the basic outline of the system and I've been in contact with PappaClart a few times about it and Brandon may have as well, but we want to put our own special twist on it so it maintains the vibe and outlook of the Cappuccino Cup, but with different cars. Skill level is not nearly as important as a positive attitude and respect for other drivers as that's what makes a good racing experience, as opposed to just going fast. In that regard, keeping many of the Capp Cuppers together and moving forward with this idea seemed like a good thing.

Details are definitely not finalized but we wanted to throw the idea out there before everyone disappeared into the woodwork...lol.

Should be around tonight...looking forward to giving the revised Alfa Fields a spin along with Brandon's custom track, and whatever else comes up.

Yes latest version is called Alfa Fields Circuit and is shared. That turn took some tweaking but it's much better.
Took Alfa for a spin there. Fun for lapping. Not exactly sure where the passing zones are gonna be.

Last edited:
The multi account private room deal will take off once PD allows DLC on all accounts per PS3.

Once they do this I am making a GTP account. Then I can separate my drivers and soldiers. LOL or maybe PS will open up the friends list limit.

This is the basics of it. I'm very intrigued by it and I think if implemented correctly it can provide some great benefits, but it can also become a complete mess if it's not maintained properly or is too ambitious. The stewards and I have been discussing the ins and outs of this "network" for about 3 weeks now, trying to look at it from all sides and see if/how we can make it work for us. Take it all with a grain of salt for now, I think we've come up with a pretty solid plan but nothing is 100% right now. It's all been just discussion so far, no extensive testing, but we've been monitoring the other groups using this method to see the positives and negatives and learn everything we can. Rest assured that there's a lot of thought and effort going into this and it's not going to be a slopped together mess.

A quick overview of the private lobby network plan: Remember when RDAardvark got the DLC before us and we were all able to open his lounge (even when he was offline) to run at Spa (because it was set as his default track)? That is the underlying premise of this network. We will create actual PSN ID's that all the members will add to their PSN friends list. The main benefit here is that all the members can race together in a private room without having to add each other. Example, Blind posts in the thread that he's going to hold a practice session, right now he either has to do it in a public room, share the number and kick out Randoms, or he can do it in his lounge but anybody wanting to join has to be on his friends list. With this method, Blind will simply post "I'm going to open the Capp Cup lounge for some practice and free races" and since everyone has the Capp Cup ID added already they can join right in! So much simplier and way more flexible, you won't be dependent on a steward to host a room and since anybody can open the lounge there could be Capp racing every day!

We could essentially do this right now by using my lounge, but sometimes I do want to run things other than the Capp and honestly I can't even open my lounge to do some testing without 3 or 4 Capperino's popping up in a matter of minutes. :lol: So this way my lounge will be free but everyone will have our very own Capp lounge that only Capperino's have access to and everyone can join. Best part, it's open 24 hours a day so we can have people from all time zones. :sly: If there's enough demand we could even create a second Capp Cup ID to accommodate more people.

So, branching off from that, we're currently planning to have a lounge/ID specifically for the Alfa Points Series and another one that will be just for Capp Cup. For now the Capp Cup room will be mainly just for fun and free racing but we plan on organizing official one-off Capp events from time to time that will have prizes and such. But all of you will have access to it and can organize races or fun runs or whatever you want! If somebody wants to actually setup and run a mini-championship for the Cappy I'm fine with that too as long as you run your plans by me first and handle it fairly professionally. All practice and racing for the Alfa series will take place in the lounge of that ID and all members will be free to open the lounge during any non-official times (practice/qualifying/race) to tune/practice/race. There will be specificed areas for everyone to post details of when they'll be in what lounge, etc.

In addition to that, we're thinking about having 2 additional lounge/ID's, 1 for Spec Racing and 1 for PP Racing. These will be free lounges for all members to use as they please within the guidelines that everything in the Spec Racing lounge is run with the "Tuning Prohibited" option selected and the PP Racing lounge can be whatever kind of PP racing you like with all tuning permitted. What you guys do within those guidelines it totally up to you! You can do something as simple as "Hey guys, I'm gonna be in the PP Racing Lounge from 5-7 tonight, thinking some 450ppSS and maybe some 600ppRH", all the way up to organizing your own schedule events (NASCAR, GT500, Rally, etc.) or mini-championships.

Basically, we all enjoy racing together and I think we all agree that the public rooms are more trouble than their worth, this is a way for all the members to race whatever they want together, whenever they want to. Personally, I'd love to join up on a random Thursday night and do a pickup LMP race with Iforce, Torzilla, Blind, Cipher, Wardez, Trackbound......whoever! No points, no schedules, just 10 minute races every 20 minutes on differsnt tracks or whatever the hell we please. :sly:

So that's it. I know it sounds a little complicated but I hope it doesn't sound scary. lol Whatever we do, my motto has always been to require as little from the members as possible so it will be simplified and streamlined and all you guys will have to do is post in a thread, join a lounge, and race! You may have to send out up to 4 friend requests too, but I don't think that's asking too much. :)

I hope at least the bulk of all this made some sort of sense. Now that we have a good framework I'm ready for input from you guys so ask me any questions you want and let me hear your ideas our opinions. :cheers:

Last edited:
Took a day off from reading this thread and had a lot to catch up on. My head hurts from working with stupid people, but from what I can remember reading this all sounds great.

1. The Alfa series sounds awesome (especially being spec). If someone has a 65 ticket, I will make a trade for it...I have one, but don't want to paint it for a racing series.
2. Will we still have a Capp series after the Alfa????
3. The open nights sound great. I like the idea of PP racing for some fun. I thought of joining the 450pp club but have issues with about 4 of their drivers...something that I just don't experience here with this great group of drivers.
4. To do this open/private lounge thing, do you have to have a GTP_psn name?

TrackBound7
Took a day off from reading this thread and had a lot to catch up on. My head hurts from working with stupid people, but from what I can remember reading this all sounds great.

1. The Alfa series sounds awesome (especially being spec). If someone has a 65 ticket, I will make a trade for it...I have one, but don't want to paint it for a racing series.
2. Will we still have a Capp series after the Alfa????
3. The open nights sound great. I like the idea of PP racing for some fun. I thought of joining the 450pp club but have issues with about 4 of their drivers...something that I just don't experience here with this great group of drivers.
4. To do this open/private lounge thing, do you have to have a GTP_psn name?

1. I should have a ticket procured soon.

2. Probably, depending on how popular the Alfa proves to be.

3. That's the goal!

4. No, you don't have to do anything different with your name or anything else. You'll just have to send a friend request on PSN to the ID CappCup, AlfaCup, etc. After your friend request is accepted all you do is join its lounge if people are in it, or open it yourself and wait for others to join. Race, rinse, and repeat. ;)

Thanks for the response. I would sure hope the Capps are still raced at some point. I can see the Alfa being a nice change of pace, a touch of vintage. The Capps are still great little cars though.

The nice part about the spec Alfa is I will be able to see just how bad I am...no more lack of tuning as an excuse ;)

Speaking of the Alfa, iForce, DSG, Owens and me had a spectacular run at Spa tonight in the Alfas. We were nose to tail for 3 laps. with many lead changes. If that is a sign of things to come, the Alfa Cup should be a lot of fun!!

Speaking of the Alfa, iForce, DSG, Owens and me had a spectacular run at Spa tonight in the Alfas. We were nose to tail for 3 laps. with many lead changes. If that is a sign of things to come, the Alfa Cup should be a lot of fun!!
Its too bad you braked in Blanchimont and we had Alfa on Alfa crime.:lol:

Yeap, that was good fun. I really like the way the Alfa behaves itself. At the moment I also have a feeling that it will reward smoothness a lot more than the Cappy, could've just been my Capp tune though.

The nice part about the spec Alfa is I will be able to see just how bad I am...no more lack of tuning as an excuse ;)

The nice thing is that you'll be able to focus on just driving and learning the track/car. I believe that in most cases improving the meat behind the seat will yield greater gains than any tune.

I had a blast last night at la Sarthe and Daytona Road. I was worried that the Alfa wouldn't have enough gear for the long straights but it wasn't a problem. I especially enjoyed the advanced time at la Sarthe where it got dark and then light again. Great headlights on this car and it added a whole new element. I took the victory over DSG at la Sarthe, if that's not enough to make me love this car I don't know what is! Haha

Yeap, that was good fun. I really like the way the Alfa behaves itself. At the moment I also have a feeling that it will reward smoothness a lot more than the Cappy, could've just been my Capp tune though.

Agreed, and I also think it's more forgiving of the occasional lack of smoothness. I had the back end out several times and never lost control, would have been disaster in the Cappy. I think the longer wheelbase makes it more stable when it starts to get slippy. It gave me the confidence to push really hard, I always baby the Capp and rarely felt like I could really push it but the Alfa just kept begging for moar!! :dopey:

97623700b.jpg

Last edited:
Last night has me excited for the future here. Just dropping in and racing with the Cappy regulars was great and it looks like that is exactly what the open lounge idea will be, so I'm hyped for that. The Alfa is a dream to drive.

The only negative point was my wheel started acting up, like it was losing power for a fraction of a second, it would go loose, the animated hands would jump to center then it would come back. I swapped slots in the power bar I have it plugged into, which helped. I am hoping it is just poor quality power issues. I'm going to swap out the power bar tonight for another one and see if that helps.

It ruined any chance I had of driving well, centering the wheel on a corner is an instant race ender :)

Last night has me excited for the future here. Just dropping in and racing with the Cappy regulars was great and it looks like that is exactly what the open lounge idea will be, so I'm hyped for that. The Alfa is a dream to drive.

Yep, that's pretty much my overall goal for this bold plan. Last night was a great example of what this will offer, a bunch of us doing random races on random tracks just for fun, every night of the week! The only difference is that it will take place in a dedicated lounge instead of my personal lounge.

On top of that we'll still have a points championship with regularly scheduled races, multiple times per week, and even some one-off Cappy events on non-points days/nights. Basically your one-stop shop for everything GT5 related! I have a lot of ideas/desires for other one-off events like karting, NASCAR, SuperGT, even a proper point-to-point-style timed Rally event, and this plan will give me an arena to do that with all my favorite racers! Hopefully others have ideas for events that they'd like to host in the free-race lounges too, and we'll provide an area for you guys to organize and schedule events should you desire.

It's a bold undertaking, but my priority is to keep the great racing and camaraderie that makes the CappCup great so I won't do anything to interfere with that. My main focus right now is on the Alfa Series and CappCup lounge, the other stuff will fall into place later. I know this all may seem a bit unsettling right now but have confidence that you'll still have the great, regular racing that we all enjoy, no matter what we happen to be driving at the time. :)

I've been waiting for somebody to post something so I don't double-post, I'm giving up. lol

I'm going to have my lounge open again tonight for some more Alfa action. We really had a great time last night so I encourage everyone to try to show up for at least a little while and give this car a spin. We ran at la Sarthe and Daytona Road when I was around, they ran Spa after I left. Tonight we'll check out some other tracks, Nord, Monaco, Monza and anything else that seems clever. My lounge will be open by approx. 6:30pm EST and I will post details here.

Hope to see some awesome Alfa's out there tonight!! 👍

(I actually thought I posted. If I had, you wouldn't have had to double post)

So, because I'm dense or potentially misread it, should I add AlfaCup and CappCup as friends and join their lobbies, if room exists?

I'm going to sulk. It'll be 11:30pm here when you open your lounge. I'll be asleep. :(

Countdown to 6:30pm Brandon Standard Time:
img.php

Enjoy! Make sure you get some pictures.

Oh, and try saying AlfaCup in a Belfast accent. Just not in front of the kids.

So, because I'm dense or potentially misread it, should I add AlfaCup and CappCup as friends and join their lobbies, if room exists?

The individual lounges aren't up and running yet so just add me, BrandonW77 and we'll play around in my lounge tonight.

I'm going to sulk. It'll be 11:30pm here when you open your lounge. I'll be asleep. :(

Countdown to 6:30pm Brandon Standard Time:
img.php

Enjoy! Make sure you get some pictures.

Oh, and try saying AlfaCup in a Belfast accent. Just not in front of the kids.

:lol:

I was having so much fun last night I totally forgot to save any of the replays. :( I'll be sure to do so tonight! In the meantime, here's one I took the other night of Yuri taking out his frustrations on some innocent pylons.

imageerr.jpg

Al Fuc Cup..................D'oh!!!

Last edited:
you can paint the alfa? This just got much cooler.... :D

/had visions of red car trains going around the track, making it hard to find yourself in a replay. lol

The more I think about the plans for this group, the happier I become. It can be a challenge to find a group of drivers that a) are on enough to have decent races with and b) are a quality group of drivers...both ability and character. I really have grown to love the Capp and felt like I just started getting the hang of it towards the end of this past season. So I am certainly looking forward to another season with that at some point. The Alfa is a sweet car, hands down my favorite vintage racer in the game as I feel some of the others are more of a handful to drive "fast" than they are worth. The idea of open night races or PP level races is intriguing too. I would be all for a 450PP SS tire night or something like a Standard/Used car 365PP CS tire night. If we end up doing things like that I think it would be helpful to outline some general car rules that all would agree on (can't police it, but the old honesty thing)...like may no detuning or ballast adding to get to the PP level...just a true 450PP modified car.

The more I think about the plans for this group, the happier I become. It can be a challenge to find a group of drivers that a) are on enough to have decent races with and b) are a quality group of drivers...both ability and character. I really have grown to love the Capp and felt like I just started getting the hang of it towards the end of this past season. So I am certainly looking forward to another season with that at some point. The Alfa is a sweet car, hands down my favorite vintage racer in the game as I feel some of the others are more of a handful to drive "fast" than they are worth. The idea of open night races or PP level races is intriguing too. I would be all for a 450PP SS tire night or something like a Standard/Used car 365PP CS tire night. If we end up doing things like that I think it would be helpful to outline some general car rules that all would agree on (can't police it, but the old honesty thing)...like may no detuning or ballast adding to get to the PP level...just a true 450PP modified car.

450PP SS racing is some of my favourite racing in the game. The cars are much closer to stock street HP, but not so fast they are hard to control in a group. Makes closer racing more possible with less incidents. I ran with the 450PP SS guys for a while and it was a lot of fun and I'd love to have a lower PP, CS to SS night, as a regular thing within the lounge network.

Like all PP racing though, there are a few cars that are a bit ahead of the crowd like the NSX, Lotus Elise and Evora mostly, maybe a couple of others. To keep it fair and even, I'd probably toggle the MR box on and off to allow the cars sometimes and then not other times. If you don't do that, then an NSX or Lotus will win just about every time in the hands of a good driver. But if you run say 10 tracks a night and toggle them ON at the tracks where they don't have as big an advantage then everyone can use them there.

And the good thing about the member limited Lobby system is that anyone can decide to become a host for an evening of pick up racing with any theme they want, or host a regular theme night on a weekly or other basis. The expectation will be that you will run it the same as the Capp Cup, with clear guidelines, start on time, answer questions as they come up etc. Not a ten page spread like the Capp Cup OP, but just what kinds of cars, tracks, tires, PP etc. And we'll provide a standard outline for everyone that you can copy and paste from so it's less work for you, and a standard outline for everyone to read.<<< I just made that up Brandon, don't let me forget...lol.

Johnnypenso
450PP SS racing is some of my favourite racing in the game. The cars are much closer to stock street HP, but not so fast they are hard to control in a group. Makes closer racing more possible with less incidents. I ran with the 450PP SS guys for a while and it was a lot of fun and I'd love to have a lower PP, CS to SS night, as a regular thing within the lounge network.

Like all PP racing though, there are a few cars that are a bit ahead of the crowd like the NSX, Lotus Elise and Evora mostly, maybe a couple of others. To keep it fair and even, I'd probably toggle the MR box on and off to allow the cars sometimes and then not other times. If you don't do that, then an NSX or Lotus will win just about every time in the hands of a good driver. But if you run say 10 tracks a night and toggle them ON at the tracks where they don't have as big an advantage then everyone can use them there.

And the good thing about the member limited Lobby system is that anyone can decide to become a host for an evening of pick up racing with any theme they want, or host a regular theme night on a weekly or other basis. The expectation will be that you will run it the same as the Capp Cup, with clear guidelines, start on time, answer questions as they come up etc. Not a ten page spread like the Capp Cup OP, but just what kinds of cars, tracks, tires, PP etc. And we'll provide a standard outline for everyone that you can copy and paste from so it's less work for you, and a standard outline for everyone to read.<<< I just made that up Brandon, don't let me forget...lol.

Yeah, these are the nit-picky details we're trying to work out now. You can see how this can easily get way too complicated and I don't want any of this to create extra work for you guys. But we will need a list of certain ground rules like track grip should always be set to real, fuel/tire wear should always be turned on, etc. as well as point things out like MR cars tending to dominate PP races, etc. so everyone's aware. In a private lounge anybody can change the settings so if one person has something setup wrong anybody else in the room can fix it, kind of a self-policing thing hopefully.

We're not going to tell you how to run your races or what cars/tracks to use, we just want to make sure that the lounge/track settings are always consistent. Things like lap count, starting order, car/track selection, etc. would all be up to the people in the room at the time. If somebody sets up a planned event we will expect them to stick to the plan and schedule that they've laid out and agreed upon, outside of that it's "have at it boys!". :)

<<<<<< JP, I made a note of it!

This all sounds great, if you need any help with anything, let me know, but it looks like you have things well in had. Either way you know how to PM me.

I'll be around tonight, sort of 8 Brandon Standard Time ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back