R/C car thread!

Can't believe I missed this Thread. I got bit by the RC bug a few years ago by some friends who tricked me into thinking you could race RC cars fairly cheap.

right now I have an 2 RC8bs
2 mini z mr03s
and a mini sct

I don't really care at all for the mini sct. Wasn't near as fast as I thought it would be, and it just doesn't handle well at all. Plus the radio that comes with it is garbage. A 2.4 system would have made it much better, and might have actually made it fun to race.

I am loving the mini Zs though. There's 3 of us with RCP track for them and it's a blast. We have races pretty much every sunday at a friends house. He just got in some of the new light grey track, and it really helps to see the darker bodied cars. We also have a 1/8 dirt track for the 1/8 scale buggys. We haven't ran on it since last year, but hopefully the weather starts to turn around, and I can get the skidsteer over there to rebuild the track.

If anyone is in ohio and wants to race some mini z just let me know. Actually this sunday, we are having a bigger then normal race, where we are combining a bunch of our track, and renting a larger area to lay it down in. Should have about 15 second or so laps. Usually there is about 5 or 6 of us, but hopefully we can get 10 or so of us for this one.

As fun as these mini Zs are and with how nice the bodies look for them, I can't believe there isn't more people on GTP that races them. The detail, and scale of the bodies is amazing. They are probably the best looking auto scales I have ever seen. It also doesn't cost to much to get started in. It's less then a high quality sim setup, and alot more fun. Don't get me wrong, I love sim racing and all, but being able to actually hold the car in your hand, and make real adjustments to it is much better.

Here's a video a friend made a few years ago of one of our 1/8 scale tracks. It's not the greatest camera work, or video really, but it does show the track being ran. We're getting ready for a rebuild, as soon as the weather lets us. Might even get a chance to start it tomorrow.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the Mini Z's last night. Wish there was a place to race them. I'd be all over it.

Picked up a Blade MSR X today. Been flying CX's so this single blade is new to me. Master it. Step into a 3D Heli.

Pics:

b47fee6c.jpg

Some previous R/C's

This was my brushless Left Handed Chassis RC18 Carpet Killer:
P1000891.jpg

Other Straight Axle 2s Lipo carpet killer:
Scalpelsideesc.jpg

02220721201.jpg

This was my Brushless offroaders:
P1010329.jpg

P1010452.jpg

My Brushless monster truck 3s Lipo:
MQanglefit.jpg

Some paint work:

DSCN4281.jpg

All bodies shown I painted. All rattle can. Soak them in warm water an they spray fantastic!

Last edited:
Well guys I finally made my leap of faith back into the rc world!!! or in my case the infared world.... I had a moment of impulse and picked up this bad boy at the mall on a trip with my School's show choir.

4vsdx1.jpg

Sure it's just a "mall copter", but she flies great! Well, flew great. I think when I was asleep at the hotel one of my friends took her for a spin and had a grand old time nicking the crap out of the blades. Waiting on a new set to arrive till she takes flight again.

I plan on getting a new one in a couple months, anyone here know what a good entry level copter would be? I want to be able to fly it outside on good days, have some speed to it, and good maneuverability, but sub $150 US.

EDIT: YEAAHHH!!!! First time I got a picture to work! /nube

The Blade aka E Flight brand is really good.

For a Beginner the one pictured looks like a Venom brand coaxial. CX often called. These are the easiest to fly. As well most stable and hover really good. you want a 4 channel Heli to learn from.

The next step is either a larger CX or stepping into a Single Rotor Fixed Pitch.

The Fixed Pitch Heli is a lot harder to fly. Every input needs to be countered. You have to be on top of this type of Heli at all times. They will hover but again not nearly as stable or easy as CX.

Then you get into Collective Pitch. These are the types you see doing 3D flying.

Personally I have a Blade Micro CX for indoor flight. Recently purchased a msrX fixed pitch single rotor micro. This is very hard to fly. Buddy picked up the Blade mcpx and it's a super serious Heli. He replaced everything on it so far. Some part more then once.

So with all that. I'd say Blade MCX2 as a starter Heli. Get really good with this. As in controls come second nature.

Then look at a BNF bind and Fly msrX as your next step. When you get this down. Your ready for Collective Pitch.

I plan to step up to the 450 size when I make the Collective pitch move. These CP's need a good radio to do Stunts. 160 dollars for a DX6i.

Hope that helps. If that Heli you have is a Venom CX. Nothing wrong with it as a starter. Assuming thats a 4 channel Heli.

The Blade brand has all parts readily available. As well the Spectrum side of it allows you to bind any Blade to say a DX6i.

EDIT: I found that current Heli you have. It's a 3 channel.

Suggestion: Go grab a Blade MCX2 RTF it is a 4 channel like that used on CP and FP. Also get you two or three extra packs. 120mah minimum. The E-Flight packs are perfect.

Last edited:
The helli I have is a uj4703. It's a Yiboo. Just a $45 investment to hone my skills and break things before I get a nice one.

Also, half the things you just told me flew completely over my head, could you explain it all to a newcomer or point me to a site that will? Things like 3D flying might seem common knowledge to you, but I'm lost.

Last edited:
DJones
The helli I have is a uj4703. It's a Yiboo. Just a $45 investment to hone my skills and break things before I get a nice one.

Also, half the things you just told me flew completely over my head, could you explain it all to a newcomer or point me to a site that will? Things like 3D flying might seem common knowledge to you, but I'm lost.

Basically the important thing is four channels. You want to learn on a four channel Heli. This will have the same inputs as all hobby grade heli's.

Your left stick will throttle up and down and pivot on center aka rudder left and right.

The right stick will pitch the blades. Forward and back is forward and back. Left and right is left and right.

Horizon Hobby -

Blade MCX2 RTF is what you will want. In the extra parts tab/area on their website will be a link for batteries.

Heli- http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/blade-mcx2-rtf-EFLH2400

Batteries- http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/150mah-1s-3-7v-25c-lipo-battery-EFLB1501S25

I have a Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5 Classic, which is quite possibly the laziest and most stubborn T-Maxx to ever roll out of the factory. Looking to get a Kyosho DRX or some Tamiya.

OwensRacing
Basically the important thing is four channels. You want to learn on a four channel Heli. This will have the same inputs as all hobby grade heli's.

Your left stick will throttle up and down and pivot on center aka rudder left and right.

The right stick will pitch the blades. Forward and back is forward and back. Left and right is left and right.

Horizon Hobby -

Blade MCX2 RTF is what you will want. In the extra parts tab/area on their website will be a link for batteries.

Heli- http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/blade-mcx2-rtf-EFLH2400

Batteries- http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/150mah-1s-3-7v-25c-lipo-battery-EFLB1501S25

Thanks! Can't wait to join the big boys :)

Yesterday I got my first nitro car. The hobao hyper 7 :dopey:

Began to break it in today and the idle was fine, but when I began to drive at 1/4 throttle the car just revved. I took the fuel tank off and it looked all fine and everything was tight. Anyone got any experience with a hyper 7? I seem to think it's the clutch but I’m not sure.

Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated.

Finally posting here. I've had several R/C cars in the past, but this is what's been laying around my house for a few years now.

Nikko Drift Skyline that came with a set of tires with normal treds and hard compound slicks. It was pretty basic...with an opening hood.
7153730201_9e531516fd_b.jpg

7153731373_6ccacabf27_b.jpg

7007611526_57398db0f6_b.jpg

It's cool looking at the hobby-grade R/Cs here. Of course, I'm not sure I'd end up buying them.

GOt a question. I Have a traxxas Rustler and My brother has the stampede. we both put in venilion (However you spell it) Brushless Moters in them about 8 months ago, then the winter hit, so we didn't run them.
the other day my brother was running his truck and the speed controller went up in smoke. we sent it in to Traxxas and currently waiting for a diagnosis. My question is is this, do these speed controllers break often when they weren't from the VXL verison?

Also I'm considering going to a regular street car and selling my rustler. If i do, what sort of car should i get. i'm looking at drifting or just a car that is good on pavement and i'm looking for it prebuilt. thanks

I bought 2 gas ones at yard sale the other day fr 50$ * a total steal*
Thing is i have no idea how to start them ones a kyosho and it has a lil rod with red and black pin , its not on the car it came separate and well the little cord you pull to start it is stuck and im afraid to pull it and mess it up , any help?

What would be a good one to start with? Nothing too expensive about 50-70€ but nothing too slow.

TheeFrogmanlego
I bought 2 gas ones at yard sale the other day fr 50$ * a total steal*
Thing is i have no idea how to start them ones a kyosho and it has a lil rod with red and black pin , its not on the car it came separate and well the little cord you pull to start it is stuck and im afraid to pull it and mess it up , any help?

If they don't use an oil after running these and it's sat. It's most likely a junk motor.

You may try removing the spark plug and spraying some lube in the cylinder and see if it frees up.

Might be best to find a local shop that messes with the Nitros or even a local racer that races Nitro.

Tzun
What would be a good one to start with? Nothing too expensive about 50-70€ but nothing too slow.

What surface you running on?

Tzun
Was thinking about gravel, there is a big asphalt parking (24/7 empty) lot. Both will work for me.

The asphalt is prob your best bet. Your car will stay cleaner and less dirt is less troubles.

You will most likely want something 1/18th scale or larger. The Associated RC18 is a good option. If you want two wheel drive. Losi has the Mini T.

These are hobby grade units. Everything can be rebuilt with ease. Aftermarket support and can do brushless Lipo for 50mph+ fun.

These run 99-200 USD depending how many options. Tower Hobbies and Horizon are the best sources online. Dependable and great customer service.

Maybe even look at Traxxas and HPI too. See what offerings they have. Both reputable companies.

Alright, well..... I was feeling a bit down yesterday. My youngest boy (just turned 3 earlier this spring) and I went to the local hobby shop last week to see some monster trucks. My son is a monster truck fanatic! Everything is monster trucks! Well...up high on the shelf, what does he see? The biggest truck that they sell. Of course the biggest one is The Monster Truck as nothing small would do. It was the Traxxas Summit.

Now, there is no way I was about to turn my 3 year old loose on a machine with that much power, but the more I read, the more I justified.... The Summit has a training mode that cuts the power to 50%. Then you can switch to first gear and locking diffs and all of a sudden, this power house becomes a lot more manageable.

So I picked it up last night. This thing is cool, very cool. Just guess, but there seems to be close to 8 inches of articulation. Gear shifting and front or front+rear locking differentials on the remote makes this truck a worth all around truck. Slow rock climbing to fast jumps and screaming around, this can do it.

My guess is it's way to heavy to race unless you had a class limit.

Much to my surprise, our first charge in the parking lot with the 5,000 NiCad batteries lasted for over an hour and a half. Granted, mostly done at 50% speed and slow gear, and on pavement, but it's nice to know that a single pack should last quite a while if doing some basic rock crawling and exploring.

traxxas-summit-3.jpg

And to help give a sense of scale:

These are images/videos off of the net as I haven't taken any of my own media yet, but will get some action shots posted soon enough (hopefully...). :)

Excellent choice. If I'd known you spend that kinda dough it would been on the list to recommend.

Incredible R/C with loads of aftermarket so it will never get stale or broken and not fixed.

Congratulation to you and your son you bought the pinnacle of R/C Monster trucks. Btw jealous

The Summit being water proof really opens you up to do awesome fun all year long. Snow would be a blast. considering you live an area that sees snow.

Maybe cool to check out the key chain Camera's the R/C Heli guys are using to video flights. Mount that on your Summit and make some really neat videos.

Go Pro be lil big I'd think. They are rather large on even a 1/5 Scale Baja.

Also you may wanna grab something small for the boy when you are wanting to use the Summit. LoL

http://losi.com/Products/Start.aspx

The top there is some Micro's might be a good option. RTR 100-150 dollars. That Trail Monster Truck in 1/24 looks like fun and be a great compliment to a Summit. Even haul it on the top rack Hahahaha

The video you posted reminded me to dig up some video I have of my lil Mini Quake pulling a 1/10th scale sled.

The people present were strictly nitro guys. So they had no clue about Brushless and Lipo power. needless to say they had a who new respect for electrics and mini's after they seen this little bugger pull.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/NiCad_RC/DTX/04100720321.mp4

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/NiCad_RC/DTX/MQFULLPULL.mp4

Last edited:
Excellent choice. If I'd known you spend that kinda dough it would been on the list to recommend.

Incredible R/C with loads of aftermarket so it will never get stale or broken and not fixed.

Congratulation to you and your son you bought the pinnacle of R/C Monster trucks. Btw jealous *snip*

We are having loads of fun with it. The back yard was full of rocks and jumps and other creative obstacles made by the 3 and 8 year old.

I got the stance where I wanted it. Got some 50w oil to replace in the shocks and tightened them down about 50%. It's looking like a monster truck now! I thought it might be a little top heavy, but I think I got the shocks just right as they have enough give that rock crawling and fast turns are still manageable.

I have been doing pretty good with letting the kids play, though I cringe every time they hit something hard. I would be in real trouble if I wasn't able to step the speed down on this thing. My son is already asking for his own. Maybe my reactions are too animated when my shins get plowed by the front bumper??? :D

T-Bone makes a nice bumper and skid plate that looks awesome for this truck.

This truck is impressive, really impressive! At some point I will want to swap out the body for something more tricked out and modeled, but for now, this is all good. I figured when it's time to swap out the motor to a brushless I can give the body a good overhaul to.

As you said, being water proof I am really looking forward to running this in the cold snow! I've seen some guys pull their RC boats, I'd love to pull some RC snowmobiles! 👍

I'd love to get into some mini cams for sure.

I used to have a Team Losi XXX something.... It was my first RTR, I was always an RC10, build your own kits. Losi makes some great stuff. I probably see one in my sons not so distant future. :)

The sled pull video was amazing! HAHA Way to show your nitro friends what electric torque is all about. :D

Last edited:
Had not seen the Black and green. That makes for an even more "incredible" looking machine. Hulk reference.

Keep us updated with adventures and modding. ;)

As for bodies. I could be of some help when painting too. Not to toot my horn but I've done some pretty decent paint jobs in my day.

Some have had mag coverage but the company I did the body for took the credit on paint. I was rather disappointed they would take that away from me. I spent hours on said body. It was literally the size of a kids wagon. Fifth Scale Hummer. Stars and stripes. I'll see if I can locate some pics. I had my lil Mini Quake sat on the body to give a size reference. Not sure where that pic is though. See what I can dig up.

Had not seen the Black and green. That makes for an even more "incredible" looking machine. Hulk reference.

Keep us updated with adventures and modding. ;)

As for bodies. I could be of some help when painting too. Not to toot my horn but I've done some pretty decent paint jobs in my day.

Some have had mag coverage but the company I did the body for took the credit on paint. I was rather disappointed they would take that away from me. I spent hours on said body. It was literally the size of a kids wagon. Fifth Scale Hummer. Stars and stripes. I'll see if I can locate some pics. I had my lil Mini Quake sat on the body to give a size reference. Not sure where that pic is though. See what I can dig up.

Yep, the green is a new color this year. They dropped the yellow. They added a few other things as well, it's all new to me so... :D

I wish I would have taken a picture of the truck before the suspension treatment. It was ridiculously soft. Actually squatted like a rally truck. It looked rather stupid to be honest. :)

Graphics/Painting was never something I got in to nor was ever good at. When/if I get to that point, I'll be looking at some howto's for sure! 👍

I'm on the fence on which to buy. I've transitioned from micro R/C to helicopters, drifters, rock crawlers, back to drifting, then to boats. I'm wanting to get back into onroad and really like the F1 class of 1/10 scale R/C. The difference between these two kits isn't too much so money isn't the issue. What do you guys think?

ltamc0096.jpg

or

ltamc1069.jpg

HumanDestroyah
I'm on the fence on which to buy. I've transitioned from micro R/C to helicopters, drifters, rock crawlers, back to drifting, then to boats. I'm wanting to get back into onroad and really like the F1 class of 1/10 scale R/C. The difference between these two kits isn't too much so money isn't the issue. What do you guys think?

or

Cool,

As a Ferrari fan I'd have to say that one, it's Kimi tho right? At least the McLaren is still recent as its Lewis.

Both rock tho :)

priesty_lfc
Cool,

As a Ferrari fan I'd have to say that one, it's Kimi tho right? At least the McLaren is still recent as its Lewis.

Both rock tho :)

Its Massa not Kimi. Kimi never used yellow helmet.

Get the McLaren.

Whichever one ypu choose, upgrade the rear diffuser to a carbon fiber or steel one, because the ones that come with the kits are plastic and will break the first time you touch a wall, voiding any hard work you've done on either a red or chrome paintjob.

Back