F.I.T.T. Azure Cobra Shootout (Ended. Results on post 3.)

• Thread starter Ronald6
  • 244 comments
Well, if I can drive Cizeta V16T with CM in rain at Monza, although not so fast without ABS, why not LOL. So far, I really like driving the Cobra at this track, although getting a clean lap ( no red, no cutting, no bump ) is very hard to do while pushing for record time and no ABS. I'll fiddle with BB again ( 8/3 maybe ) and brake earlier, I did tried to drive with CS tires, slower yes, but it's more manageable than SS tires. Going slower in everything makes it more drivable.

Alright, sign me up as a guppy .... really, how hard can it be?:dopey:

35oc7s.jpg

Are Custom Wheels allowed?

Got a base tune going. Car is stable, no dive under braking, seems good on entry but still a little tough on certain corners. Lots of springs, Lots of toe, Lots of camber in my tune (at least so far).

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Krenkme.

ugabugaz
Are Custom Wheels allowed?

Yes, because they change nothing in the cars performance they are allowed. I already traded mine in and painted them the guardsmen blue to match the stripe.

CyKosis1973
Somebody will make it into or under the 1:40 mark, don't mind the Fishy Brazillian Alien, I'm sure we'll see faster 👍

{Cy}

In week 4 of the WDSC (same car/track/tyre) some of the aliens were down in the 1:40.??? range. With a tuned car I hope to get those times. I put in a 1:44.112 as my best run that week with a DS3. So far since I've started this Shootout the best I've managed is a 1:44.673. All these times are stock.

I love this combo. I plan to put in several hours (30 - 80 laps) for each car. Even Ridox's. Lol If his Cobra is anything like his entry into the 60/40//40/60 then it will take me 80 laps just to make it across clean.

sheephead99
im gonna put my b-spec driver in the drivers seat and see what he can do :P

Bob is never touching this car. Not till he hits level 50.

Ridox2JZGTE
What's the highest speed for the Cobra on this track ? I got up to 130mph once right after the tunnel, and I brake too late - end up in a crash -_-. 126 mph before the 1st turn, and 100mph on the down hill part.

113 at the tunnel apex, 126 as I apply the brakes. 124 before corner 1, 123 at the end of the uphill slalom, 94 at the bottom of the hill. 1:46.605 lap time for these speeds.

Last edited:
I love this combo. I plan to put in several hours (30 - 80 laps) for each car. Even Ridox's. Lol If his Cobra is anything like his entry into the 60/40//40/60 then it will take me 80 laps just to make it across clean.

113 at the tunnel apex, 126 as I apply the brakes. 124 before corner 1, 123 at the end of the uphill slalom, 94 at the bottom of the hill. 1:46.605 lap time for these speeds.

My best time is around 1:45.xxx, those speeds are about the same as I usually do, I could reach 100mph on the bottom of the hill which leads to very late braking and some power slides at 40mph+, then goes to 70mph+ before the left hairpin, then again sliding in 2nd gear through the hairpin ( the most fun part - looks cool in replay )

I assure you my Cobra behaves a lot calmer than my Opel Speedster :dopey:
I have .32 rear toe and .6 front toe, similar LSD as my Opel, but if you want tighter rear, simply reduce LSD initial to between 5 - 40 and increase rear ARB. I read in a forum that the real life Cobra toe alignment is front 0-0.25 and rear 0-.50, for track use - most uses up to max F .25 and R .50 ( all positive ) and 1.0 front neg camber and 0.5 rear neg camber. The front ride height usually 1 inch to 1.5 inch lower than rear.

Ridox2JZGTE
I assure you my Cobra behaves a lot calmer than my Opel Speedster :dopey:

Oh, thank goodness. This car is already a handful. Adding an Opel is kinda scary.

I think I will enjoy this shootout even more than my Caterham shootout.

So what are ya'all's results with BB testing?

Ridox, you're at 9/4? That's insane!
I'm sitting somewhat comfortably at 3/2 or 2/1 with ABS. I was trying without it but found that even at 2/1 or even 1/1 the tyres locked up at only 3/4 brake pedal. I think with 9/4 if I looked at the pedal wrong I would go spinning. I'll try it anyway.

I'm my Caterham with my personalized tune (modified from a tune in the shootout) I drive without ABS all the time. I can lock up individual wheels when I want to. Not all the time, but I can usually do it when I want and sometimes it's even productive. :)
I'm hoping, really hoping, that the tunes this Shootout provides the community will include one that will have this capability.
(:cough: drivers choice :cough: )

Last edited:
Oh, thank goodness. This car is already a handful. Adding an Opel is kinda scary.

I think I will enjoy this shootout even more than my Caterham shootout.

So what are ya'all's results with BB testing?

Ridox, you're at 9/4? That's insane!
I'm sitting somewhat comfortably at 3/2 or 2/1 with ABS. I was trying without it but found that even at 2/1 or even 1/1 the tyres locked up at only 3/4 brake pedal. I think with 9/4 if I looked at the pedal wrong I would go spinning. I'll try it anyway.

I'm my Caterham with my personalized tune (modified from a tune in the shootout) I drive without ABS all the time. I can lock up individual wheels when I want to. Not all the time, but I can usually do it when I want and sometimes it's even productive. :)
I'm hoping, really hoping, that the tunes this Shootout provides the community will include one that will have this capability.
(:cough: drivers choice :cough: )

The high BB is only possible because I use A DS2 stick, it has better pressure travel than any DS3. With such high number, the lock ups will eventually occur with more than 50% red brake bar filled. I always threshold brake and trail brake whenever possible. The rear breaking out during braking is less with 8/2 or 9/3 BB, but I can't brake deep enough. Maybe I'll share one of my replay, I have US region disc.

Having a low BB will lessen the brake strength and increase distance, with 3/2 or 2/1, it would take almost max pressure to lock the wheels, in expense of less powerful brakes. Most of my cars have at least 8/9 at front and 4-8 at the rear.

Feel free to adjust the BB when driving my car, I don't mind :)

Feel free to retune my car while testing. I don't mind :lol::dopey:

Are you guys cutting the chicane, or staying on the track?

Got it down to 1:45.xxx (had a tune on it from my shootout at the same course :sly: )

As was discussed in the WDSC week 4, per UAP, as long as two tyres bla bla bla.

But honestly, as long as the testers are down, I can make it a rule that as long as they don't touch the wall it's all good. There is little difference in times. In fact my best times favor a longer entry for that corner which usually means I'm taking it legal wether or not I mean to.

Okay, I was just wondering if my driving was getting better, or if I'm still a rubish racer :lol:.

As long as all testing is done the same right? :dopey:

The way I see it: If driver A and B are testing and A is "legal" and B "cuts," as long as they do so consistently for each tune then there is no reason to limit them. They're times will reflect the style they prefer, but not favor one tuner by cutting and hurt another by staying legal.

I tried BB 9/4. It locked up too soon. I like having to watch my throttle control on this car, but the brakes are even more sensitive.
I tried 9/3. Better but the rear felt lifeless except under acceleration.
8/3 was better but not quite there.
7/3 was good. Just about equal time with my days best.
6/3's first lap set my daily best. I'll experiment more but I think I found my BB.

Unfortunately because of how each car handles braking I'll need to experiment with BB on each tune. I might be looking at 80-120 laps a car. Ouch.

6/4 cut my daily best by over half a second. Very natural rotation and brake/throttle transition. The corner isn't cut up into different parts (brakes point, coil, brake lift-off, un-coil, throttle, full throttle). Now the corners flow and my inputs are all less point and more curve, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
80-120 laps, thats epic lapping, I have settled with 9/4 for now, 9/5 the rear too loose, any less up front or rear, not enough bite for deep braking.

I have further tweaked my base tune for suspension and LSD, just minor number changes. The car is sharper on steering now, with very controllable slide at the hotel hairpin and stable tunnel curve.

I'd just found out that I can still tune and drive the car I shared using Arcade mode :) All the changes are saved on the shared car.

5 to 12 laps per BB setting, then a lot of hot-lapping to make sure I get the most from each car. There are so many different driving lines, it will take me awhile to try them all.

Anyone up to cruising on the test-n-tune lobby tonight? I want to sensitive if my phone can handle it.

Ronald6
5 to 12 laps per BB setting, then a lot of hot-lapping to make sure I get the most from each car. There are so many different driving lines, it will take me awhile to try them all.

Anyone up to cruising on the test-n-tune lobby tonight? I want to sensitive if my phone can handle it.

I hope to be heading there soon:)

EDIT - I was there, but had to leave already :(

EDIT 2- placed car on share if anyone is interested :eek:

Last edited:
Three things:
1.) I love the test-n-tune lobby thing that you guys are doing. Would love to join in for fun.

2.) I would like to enter this competition as a tuner. I will not be able to test because I have a SCCA race at Mid Ohio the following week and need to get moving on finishing the car alignment by then.

3.) Ronald, do you have any worries about the 2.08 update and physics changes? The update is coming on September 25th and the tunes are due September 28.

Welcome aboard MCH.

I don't believe that the update will change the physics so much that three days (or at least one session) isn't enough time to update the tunes.

FINAL TUNE

Shelby Cobra 427 '66 VFinal - "Blue Shift"

14Tjr.jpg

Vital Stats:

HP: 509
Weight: 1068
Ballast: Nope

DpsgV.jpg

Suspension:

Ride Height: -5/-12
Spring Rates: 15.0/14.4
Dampers Extension: 8/5
Dampers Compression: 10/5
Anti Roll Bars: 3/7

Camber Angle: 1.0/0.5
Toe Angle: 0.12/-0.35

gcOZk.jpg

Brakes: 7/4

LSD: 12/14/12

Tires: Sports Soft

Transmission Settings:
1:1.574
2:1.110
3:0.832
4:0.641
5:0.480
FINAL:5.000
Top Speed: 261 MPH
Top Speed Indicated: 238 MPH (Upper Box)

xZBX9.jpg

Fast Lap:

Didn't manage to string a good run together. Kept bouncing in low 42's. I'm sure a better driver can leap into the 41's and below. Cote D'Azur is not one of my good tracks. I'm pretty lousy after the tunnel and lose tons of time there. Especially in the chicane portion.

Testers, Please Read:

The car is setup so that you should take the tunnel at FULL THROTTLE. Don't lift off the fun pedal - please. The way to take the tunnel is stay in the middle approaching the turn and turn your wheel as hard as possible slightly early. The car will pull hard to the right, back will start to slide and you will be able to navigate the section safely. Don't be alarmed at the smoke pouring from your back tires - That's normal (After getting used to the maneuver you should keep the back smoke free). You won't die, I promise (You might die). Once again, Full throttle through the tunnel section! I spent a good deal of time making sure that section was easy to go through.

DoA1G.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone check if my Cobra is on share, I can't remember. :P

It's not the best tune I've done, I ran out of time on the PS3 really, but I'll just go with it.

Tuners and testers: should I extend the tune submission date to one week after the 2.08 update?

I've quickly become addicted to online racing. I've used over half our monthly data usage in 2 days. So no more random rooms for me. If anyone is on and wants to race shoot me a pm or something. I'll troll the T-n-T room frequently.

Back