Hurricane Watch: Post-Tropical Cyclone Sandy.

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 390 comments
Apparently it still hasn't made landfall yet.

NHC apparently "lost" the storm because there is no way the storm is still 30 mi. offshore.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel here. According to reports the winds are going to start to die down in my area by 9 PM.

Been watching news all afternoon (I mean the New York City online news), hope it doesn't get worst. I live in the opposite coast (Northwest). I will still see the news for a few more hours. Stay safe in North East.

It looks pretty horrible from the TV pictures. Stay safe everyone, hope you all get through it ok.

I'm following along directly, the thing looks pretty nasty. Keep safe all of you in the area please.

Lost power an hour ago but back now. It's not raining hard, it's the winds that are picking up a lot. Sidings from my house and shingles from the roof on the ground and debris flying everywhere.

Transformers are blowing near me. Thankfully its not mine but this is the hour where sustained wind speeds are at their peak & changing directions.

Transformers are blowing near me. Thankfully its not mine but this is the hour where sustained wind speeds are at their peak & changing directions.

Let's just hope you're right about 9PM when winds die down, getting crazy near me. Keep safe everyone.

Let's just hope you're right about 9PM when winds die down, getting crazy near me. Keep safe everyone.

It won't be dying down exactly, but it won't be as strong as it is right now. Wind will be changing direction and that doesn't really help either.

We're getting a bit of wind now, it's been raining for about 48 hours. I'm just happy that my school has a 2 hour delay tomorrow.

To all of you on the East Coast, take care, take cover, the brunt of the storm is now hitting land.

Thoughts to all of you.

Just saw this on facebook. Crazy stuff. Hope you all are okay out on the east coast! BTW, that is a shark in someones "front yard" in New Jersey! Pretty amazing picture.
223746_521914077838710_906158910_n.jpg

Well, due to the fact that the storm in the NHC's technical definition of a hurricane no longer existed following the 5 PM advisory (just like the lack of a hurricane warning because it wouldn't be a hurricane in the technical term), Post-Tropical Storm Sandy made landfall in Southern NJ. Therefore, no hurricane hit NJ (being technical but it "allows" NHC to stop updating the front page graphic I have on the thread).

Oh and initial estimates of this storm's damage is between $10 and $20 billion of damage. That would put this storm somewhere between 5th and 13th on the costliest Atlantic Hurricanes of all-time.

Last edited:
Battery Park is now flooded. Watching CNN, it is a lot of water, and high tide is not there yet.

Btw. This storm is a good example how helpless we are when a major natural disaster strikes. The reporters are almost unable to maintain a stable line of communication.

And this isn't a major natural disaster.

And I'm hearing something about the MTA possibly losing the subways for at least a week. That would be devastating as well.

Good luck to everyone in the eastern US.We are getting very high winds from the north in Ontario and they are heading south,this could get real nasty in about 24 hrs.

Is Wikipedia down for anyone else? Was trying to get to the article about this, but it's not loading.

Back