◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
Ok here is one heck of a post detailing my Hope you guys enjoy the pics and videos. Been a lot of fun building these rigs and SIM racing. The ability to build my own rigs has allowed me the extra to do things like trips. That and a decent tax check. ;)
Wow pretty impressive. Do you have all three screens running for the Sunday races? I would be curious how that works for you.

Some extra info on

4673437210_1168f4e905.jpg

We will be running a few SNAIL length races using recommended list cars on the winners choice of track. BTW, can somebody tell me how long a SNAIL race should go, I can never make the races so I wouldn't know :). There are no penalties and boost is on as well as driver aids and high draft, it is up to you what you do with that. Once I know how long the races are I can tell you guys more. NASCAR's rule of "Boys have at it and have a good time" is in effect as well.

jobyone
Wow pretty impressive. Do you have all three screens running for the Sunday races? I would be curious how that works for you.

Use triples every time I play GT5. The custom tracks only use center though. So I avoid those. Academy was only single too. :( feels like I got blinders on with out the side monitors. However I adapt to it quickly as Ive only been triples for about 4-5months I'd say.

Also the outside monitors go black with a GT logo anytime your not I. The pits, on track, or watching from lounge/lobby. Replays are across all three too.

I still fiddle with set up. By no means does anything bother me. But you always get ideas and wanna see if that way is better.

qwietstorm
Nice! Do you race in cockpit view all the time or do you use another view when racing online?

I run my fastest laps in bumper cam usually. However if I'm banging gears I'm using cockpit. As well I use it when speed isn't a factor. Seasonal events is a place I tend to use clutch and cockpit always.

The biggest advantages:

Turn in visibility
Running in traffic

Bonus :

Sense of speed
Realism and immersion

Doing a broad slide in a left hand turn and looking left at my left monitors aka out drivers side window and watching where in going.

My buddies all find this to be the incredible part. They all love doing Gymkahna type of driving with the side windows there. My one buddy says he definitely hits the point where he forgets its a game and for moments feels in the car even with no g's. This guy bought my G27 rig and added his own bk gamer.

Other gear I should mention :

Buttkicker gamer 2

Triton Pro full surround head set

These two items have a large impact of the experience too.

Actually these two items I'd recommend to everyone.

Im not sure about colors yet, but I would like to run #18. Do we run the same colors every week?
Going to go with Monaco Orange car, and black wheels

Added to the spreadsheet 👍

The colours is there mainly for reference as there are some people who don't use the leaderboard while racing and colours are the only thing that identifies the cars around them.

There are some who don't bother with changing the colours from whatever they bought stock so it isn't compulsory or anything :)

Edit: Jahgee1124, the races go for around 10 minutes or thereabouts.

Okay thanks tez

Room Title will be Spec Dirty SNAIL (If it fits), races will be 10 minutes each with winners choice of car from recommended list and a random vote for track (If you don't pick random when told, you will be in trouble). I don't have a mic, so whenever you get a track vote option, vote Random

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post but Dirty SNAIL is postponed until tomarrow at 4:30 EST, we will be doing this combo to start out from the recommended list

Citroën C4 WRC at Trial Mountain 8 Laps

After that, we will do two more races, winner picks car and track will be done by a random vote (pick which kind of track you want but it has to be the random option)

Ok here is one heck of a post detailing my rig(s)

First rig I built G27 with inverted pedals. All pedals and shifter placement was based off my Evo 8:

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and videos. Been a lot of fun building these rigs and SIM racing. The ability to build my own rigs has allowed me the extra to do things like trips. That and a decent tax check. ;)

mmmm triple monitors, must turn eyes away ... :lol:

I've only got a single 47" Samsung :(

Thanks for the pics, nice set up 👍

To all drivers participating in SNAIL:

If you leave the racing surface for any reason or incur a penalty for any reason, you must stay out of the racing line until it is safe for you to re-enter the racing line. It is only safe to re-enter the racing line when you can do so without impeding the progress of any other driver on the track. If this means you have to drive through the grass while five or six or the entire field of drivers goes by you, then that is what you have to do. Under no circumstances should you re-enter the track or racing line if doing so is going to cause another driver to take evasive action to avoid contact with you. This applies whether or not your car is ghosted or solid. Leaving the track is defined by leaving the racing surface. If you run wide on a corner with runoff area and cross the white line and rumble strips, you have left the track and must follow the procedure from above.

I have a feeling this will be "conveniently" forgotten by some come race time.

Owens, I have to admit I'm extremely jealous of your rig. I hope to build one in the near future if I'm ever home long enough to do so. The only thing I want to add is there's now a load cell mod for the t500 which should make it the perfect wheel I think.

I keep thinking I want to figure out some sort of portable rig also because each hotel is different and it's not always easy to set something up so it works well. Sometimes you end up driving while looking up towards the ceiling because they mounted the tv up high. Other times the tv doesn't have HDMI which is always annoying. Every once in a while they make it so you can't even plug anything in to the tv at all. Oh well sure makes it interesting.

Thanks to both of you for volunteering! I've updated the responsibilities post to reflect your new duties. 👍

Is there anyone in D1 or D5 who's good with a virtual camera? :D

I can post pictures of D5 :D ( note to self: must save replay every race :crazy:)

Hope you guys enjoy the pics and videos. Been a lot of fun building these rigs and SIM racing. The ability to build my own rigs has allowed me the extra to do things like trips. That and a decent tax check. ;)

Very nice rig Owen 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
VELOCI_2NR
okay, I'm finally caught up. Damn, this forum was active today. I'm off it for five hours and am all of a sudden 6 pages behind!

Anyway, here's my pick: I'd like to exchange the Aston Martin for an Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo. That will be a blast at spa!

Woot! Finally, a car that arrives in Lime Green Metallic!

Your rig is insane and you clearly have some mad fabrication skills! :bowdown:

I've pondered going trips before, but practicality got always got the better of me. However, after reading both of your posts today, I have officially been inspired to just go for it! Do it now or it may never happen, right? (yes, I realize that I selectively took portions of your post to suit my purpose ;))

my wife hates you in 3.. 2.. 1.. :lol:

Last edited:
I only broke 1:40 with a really good draft.

But, I've been playing online weekly for over a year now. :(

I'm old and slow, though. In real life, I'm proud to say that I get my little Toyota to do 31 MPG by driving nice and easy. I sort of float along.

I guess I need to improve my 140 lap time. You guys are asininely fast. I'm not doing bad for a month of racing though haha.

What is a decent time at Spa? Spa is relatively brand new to me. I have run 10 laps there, maybe. I ran hi '36s low '37s with SS '10 @ Fuji.

zer05ive
Your rig is insane and you clearly have some mad fabrication skills! :bowdown:

I've pondered going trips before, but practicality got always got the better of me. However, after reading both of your posts today, I have officially been inspired to just go for it! Do it now or it may never happen, right? (yes, I realize that I selectively took portions of your post to suit my purpose ;))

my wife hates you in 3.. 2.. 1.. :lol:

I had the struggle in my head of justifying the extra two ps3's and monitors. My thoughts went as follows:

I've got two kids. If I ever stop using PS3's they each can have one. It is after all it's full entertainment box. Each can get one of the monitors too. Or they can used at work. I'm program CNC and use duals now.

After I concluded those reasons were suffice. I place my order.

If you check Walmart and their refurbed monitors online. You can get into 3- 22" for under 500.

I really like the ASUS. My nephew went with the 23" version of what I got and does all his Xbox COD from it. Loves it.

When I first plugged these in their was colors and textures I never knew existed. Prior wasn't junk stuff. 65" Mitsubishi DLP 1080p 3D tv. Assume the larger screen looses some texture. Maybe just the ASUS is that much better. Not sure.

Keep us updated. Truly no regrets once it's done.

When I first plugged these in their was colors and textures I never knew existed. Prior wasn't junk stuff. 65" Mitsubishi DLP 1080p 3D tv. Assume the larger screen looses some texture. Maybe just the ASUS is that much better. Not sure.

I think that PC monitors have a little higher pixel density vs a TV simply because you are usually closer to a monitor. It may also be that the displays aren't set up similarly. Even identical monitors configured identically can look very different. I'm sure you've experienced this with the triple. I used the PS3 and the Avia 2 DVD to calibrate all of my displays to keep things consistent.

Vol Jbolaz
I only broke 1:40 with a really good draft.

But, I've been playing online weekly for over a year now. :(

I'm old and slow, though. In real life, I'm proud to say that I get my little Toyota to do 31 MPG by driving nice and easy. I sort of float along.

Vol dont say that I saw you last nite and you was very good and you are not old and slow maybe little more practice and you will get your time

Last edited by a moderator:
Drgreenthumb977
Vol dont say that i saw you last nite and you was very good and you are not old and slow maybe little more practice n u will get ur time

Play a video game prove you are always young

To all drivers participating in SNAIL:

I would like to bring to your attention the matter of Ghosting Violations.

The S.N.A.I.L. OLR

12: Ghost Cars:

A:
A ghost car is any car that is transparent and/or flickering transparent.

B:
If your car is a ghost car, you take on the responsibilities of the following "Recovering from an incident" and "Re-entering to the track after running off" topics as you are at fault. You also give the correct driving line to the non-ghosted cars (taking a turn wide so others can pass on the inside). Do not return to the driving line if possible until your car is back to the normal state. This may be hard to tell if you use bumper cam, but do your utmost to determine your state. Naturally, if you are serving a penalty, assume you are ghosted.

C:
If you are approaching one or more ghost cars on the track, you must avoid any contact with them at all as they may return to a normal state immediately. Then the contact would be your fault and in turn you may become a ghost car and have to make room for others while you car slows due to the penalty. Passing through a ghost car that is not out of control in an effort to pass them will bring a penalty.

D:
If your car becomes a ghost, you are not permitted to overtake other non-ghosted cars. If you happen to overtake a car while being a ghost, you must return to your original position safely.

E:
If your car is a ghost you are not allowed to intentionally drive through other cars, just as they are not allowed to drive through you. In short, all cars on the track should be considered solid, no matter what state the game displays them.

Violations of SNAIL OLR 12: Ghost Cars: and 14: Re-entering to the track after running off: need to be reported via the Race Complaint process.

Last edited:
dabneyd
I think that PC monitors have a little higher pixel density vs a TV simply because you are usually closer to a monitor. It may also be that the displays aren't set up similarly. Even identical monitors configured identically can look very different. I'm sure you've experienced this with the triple. I used the PS3 and the Avia 2 DVD to calibrate all of my displays to keep things consistent.

I've aimed to get one of those set up discs. They have them for audio and video. Sound like it is a must really.

Btw
In D1 practicing with the S2000.

anyone up to practice? just got outta work wanna try these new rides out.

Edit: RESET MY PLAYSTATION WITHOUT SAVING THE BREAK IN! UGH

Last edited:
Drove the Camaro a few laps around Fuji. Loving the car but I've never been too fond of the track. Managed a 1:36.1 and was up half a second one lap on that one and screwed it up. I think low 1:35's are what we are going to be running.

Your Steward Report for the Week

Division 1

GumballCGT / GumballCGT
  • Level 4 - Disqualification of all points from the second race (11). Four weeks probation.

Division 3

astrias / Astrias
  • Unsafe Re-entry. Level 2 - 6 Points
  • Total: 12 points and four weeks probation

BeRandom / GTP_BeRandom
  • Level 1 - 2 Points. Reduced to 1 point for on-track concession. One week probation

Luv2Coach / Luv2Coach
  • Level 2 - 7 Points doubled to 14 due to probation. Three week probation remains

Division 5

iroquois / iroquois--
  • Total: 12 points. Reduced to 6 for self-reporting. Doubled to 12 due to probation. Six week probation remains

KuulKrinne / Kuulkriine
  • Level 2 - 6 Points. Doubled to 12 due to probation. Six week probation continues.

OUTLAW---666 / OUTLAW---666
  • Level 1 - 2 Points. Doubled to 4 due to probation. Six week probation remains

Division X

The PSN Network / Polyphony Digital
  • Level 5 penalty due to grievous errors and fundamental flaws. On probation until further notice.

These changes affect the final standings.

qwietstorm / QwietStorm03 wins Prize C. Congratulations!

Full final results can be found here.

***If you were penalized and would like further explanation regarding the incident, just PM your Division Steward and they will let you know what the stewards saw and our opinions on it.***

Last edited:
Back