◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 148,808 comments
And, by the way, thanks to @Buffalo_DRD and @Oshawa-Joe this;

View attachment 1371193
was a thing of beauty to see Sunday night when looking for the lobbies.
I too noticed this on Sunday and thought it was cool, but the Division number needs to be more readable. I find it difficult to read dark blue on black. The order for ease of reading is: SUNDAY, MEMBERS ONLY, SNAIL, DIV

I too noticed this on Sunday and thought it was cool, but the Division number needs to be more readable. I find it difficult to read dark blue on black. The order for ease of reading is: SUNDAY, MEMBERS ONLY, SNAIL, DIV
So far as I'm concerned the 🔶and SNAIL should be first and in red, everything else, including the text color, is optional and at the discretion of the host. I'm not on the BoD so that format is by no means a "rule" or "policy".

The codes for the shapes and colors are here.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help everyone! Based off this, my bop'd R8 GT3 needs to be shifted around the 8000rpm mark - a bit earlier than I was before. I'll have to get used to the sound and the mph difference. But it'll help me prep for Saturday! Thanks again!!

So far as I'm concerned the 🔶and SNAIL should be first and in red, everything else, including the text color, is optional and at the discretion of the host. I'm not on the BoD so that format is by no means a "rule" or "policy".

The codes for the shapes and colors are here.
Agree SNAIL should be first and in capital letters. Also, it should be a light color such as white for readability.

Niagara's Weekly What I Saw Column:

Kudos for @A_Higher_Place and @Nicktune for attending the GT World Series events in Montréal last weekend . I'm kicking myself for skipping it. Nice to have some Snail's present.

We've had a massive division shake-up for July. I'm going to miss some racers but looking forward to racing with others that I haven't raced with in quite some time.

I saw the worse accident sequence I've ever seen in a Snail race. The chicane of death caused death and destruction early in the first race. @yuhboiari lost grip coming out of it and hit the far barrier. With the grid still tight, @basswerks1 couldn't avoid him and t-boned @yuhboiari. This sent both of them for a spin.
View attachment 1371125

The sequence continues with @yuhboiari, still spining along the barrier, gets t-boned again, this time by @guitarmankhan. @yuhboiari is killed instantly.
View attachment 1371130

This shot is from @guitarmankhan 's perpective just prior to that 2nd impact. @yuhboiari was heard saying on his radio "Tell my wife and kids I love them".
View attachment 1371132

Thankfully, the carnage ends there. @basswerks1 , still spining from the 1st impact in this sequence, has his life spared due to the quick reactions of @Fudman420 and @racingchamp30 .
View attachment 1371133

I like incorporating the civilians and fans into my pictures. I saw this photographer put down his carema breifly to take in the action at Suzuka.
View attachment 1371134

I saw @Fudman420 lead @JamCar0ne and I for just about the entire Race #3. The three of us all had our FL's within .100 of each other and I assume we'll be spending lots of time together in July. I take a little credit for convincing @Fudman420 to make his return to Snail. He was one I measured myself against during the Porsche GT3 series we both participated in last winter. Happy to have him on the Grid.
View attachment 1371135

I was ready to vote this combo off about 2 minutes after @CANOWORMS1 made his selection but I owe him an apology as I enjoyed it and clearly I'm not the only one as it survived another week.
View attachment 1371136

I saw just about everybody go off at some point. In this pic, @Salty Toloom and @yuhboiari both went a little too deep and ended up in the gravel coming out of the esses at Atlanta.
View attachment 1371137

Finally, I saw myself take the last righthander with either a bad line or too much speed. I cut some grass and destroyed a few of the sponsor's signs along the track.
View attachment 1371138

That's what I saw this past Sunday. Apologies if these are getting too long. I left plenty of stuff on the cutting room floor.
See you at the car-show.
Great shots, well done.

Prize A: Toyota 86 Gr.B Rally Car @ Nurburgring sprint 13:30 clear. Mid-div lap 1:31

Saints And Sinners No GIF by Bounce

That just ain't right.

This week's Donkey Kong Challenge:

Music Rally
Hungarian Dance No.5
Alpine A110 '72
Goodwood Motor Circuit

Times:
Level 1 - 5.22 miles
Level 2 - 5.37 miles
Level 3 - 5.52 miles
Level 4 - 5.67 miles

What level are you?

Open to all SNAIL (past & present) members

So the drift challenge turned out to be a bit more chili pepper than expected. Congrats to all who figured it out. This one should cool things off a little bit... unless you are looking for level 4.

Choose for what?

@TexHill did you change your dns to something like cloudflare or Google? On just PS5 or on the router as well? I ask because I've been trying to learn and test some of this stuff.

Edit
With Prize B, I would like to freeze the car. I imagine the 86 GT will be a lot of fun on many tracks. Vamos!

I choose Grand Valley South S1, afternoon. 1:28:xxx
BTW Jamcar, have a look at the RA TT leaderboard. That's a first for me.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, how do I view the power curves in the tuning section? Never knew I could do that...
I'm sure by now you have found the graphs in GT7. But just to be sure: under 'Car Settings", under 'ECU' click on whatever is in the box. For me it's 'Normal'. You then get torque and HP graphs. I have used these extensively. I am no kind of race engineer. But, with the advice of @racingchamp30 and @Marcus Garvey , et.al. I use them to make shift point decisions. Peak HP is important, as is peak torque, as is rpm drop in shifts. I have been able to generate the following for each car I've used:
Image 2024-07-10 at 10.56 PM.jpeg

This car is from GTS, and is my tour de force. During an open Thursday practice at Nurburgring GP in this car, I passed none other than @SAMHAIN85 going up the hill after the hairpin. Based on the graphs I was shifting at about 6700, while most were pushing the limiter, 1500 rpms of losing. After the race Sam actually checked his HP settings. At that stage of my Snail career I didn't pass anybody.

Most times it doesn't really matter that much when you shift. But occasionally.... 🥳 😁

Sunday Night Combos.png
Gran Turismo 7
Sunday, July 14th, 2024 Lineup
July 2024 Season League Night #2

1. Toyota 86 GT '15 on SH Tires @ Grand Valley South - S01 Afternoon - (11 Laps)​
2. Toyota 86 Gr.B Rally Car on RH Tires @ Nurburgring Sprint - S01 Afternoon - (10 Laps)​
3. Volkswagen GTI Roadster VGT on RH Tires @ Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta - S13 Late Morning - (11 Laps)​

July 14th Combos.png

In that particular car the torque (gray line) goes flat really early in the power curve, it doesn't start to drop off until almost 7K rpm. His video shows it at 6700 rpm. This appears to be the point when the HP goes flat.

View attachment 1371274

This car has it's full torque available from around 2000rpm to that 6700revs. That's a monster power band by the way.

If it helps any, you can think of HP as how fast you can go and torque is how quickly you can get to how fast you can go. When the torque falls off, the quick part does too. In that video I suspect that car is BoPed or a power limit has been tuned in for whatever reason. Doesn't really matter. Torque almost always falls off before HP. When it does, your acceleration rate slows down as well. The torque curve is what you ought to be looking at for shift points. That graph is pretty useless identifying the exact RPM point. Probably why Oshawa was pointing you toward a more precise tool to inspect that data.

There's an old saying, I think Mario Andretti is credited with it, "HP sells cars, Torque wins races."

As some additional information, the below graph is off that VW we raced Sunday night.

View attachment 1371277

The HP and torque utterly fall off a cliff somewhere between 6500 and 7000 rpm. Unless I'm mistaken about the graph, the motor should hit its rev limiter at 7500rpm. Since this car is normally turbocharged you can't click any of those options under Supercharger to get this graph. You can get to it by clicking the ECU option though. It'll be the same graph. At any rate, waiting to just before rev limit to shift in this car is losing gobs and gobs of acceleration. I was shifting somewhere between 6500-6900 Sunday night. If I left it in 6th all the way down the back straight I might've hit 164MPH. When I was shifting to 7th at or around that 6500-6900 I was hittting 168mph before braking for the chicane.

Any car with plenty of torque low in the RPM range can be what's called "short shifted". Basically you up shift so the rpms fall to the beginning of the torque peak.
I wish that PD/Sony would develop a mobile app that would provide this information as well as what cars I already own.

Here's another good video on calculating the best shift points.

Appreciate the video. It was too math-heavy for me and I was bored within a minute. I don't want to learn how to calculate it, but more-so just wanna learn how to read the two curves to give me a better idea of when to shift the race cars.

For example, this week's Bop'd SF car. I rev'd it to the max and got my fastest lap doing so. But, I can't help but feel like the car is faster with a slightly shorter shift. My best guess while looking at the curves tells me that I should be shifting around 10,000rpm. But, based off the video you shared, maybe not for each gear.

Last edited:
Without doing the math so you can be precisely on the RPM you can go by the tone of the motor. When the tone slows down or stops changing, shift.

I have returned to Europe for this week's Car-Show, specifically to Paris to commemorate Bastille Day, which is on July 14th.

In 1789, angry French citizens stormed the Bastille at the onset of the French Revolution. The era of Kings and Queens has come to an end and the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen was drafted. A giant leap forward for all of mankind.

But enough about that, let's see those cars.
See you Sunday.
SHARE_20240712_0116120.jpeg

Rwr7ENR.png

Check out our very own @vovik05 putting SNAIL in the news!!

Don't miss GTPlanet's feature of our very own @CoachMK21!

Congrats to @Neovre for making his debut at Le Mans
(where he scored an incredible P5 finish!)

Congrats to all the SNAILs who competed in the
2015 GT Academy USA Finals!!

2015 USA Finalists
JwldiQg.jpg

Back Row: @LoCoArMeN, @vovik05, @Ryan Lynch, @Ricky Wilson, @TRL_Importlife, @Tyler Utley, @gtr3123
Front Row: @ConnorWolf, @Crystalline_T
Not Shown (qualified for, but unable to attend finals):@GTP_Compton3, @Matt Sierras, @msgt-sd
* - advanced to Silverstone finals!!

And good luck to the SNAILs who are competing in the 2016 GT Academy Mexico Finals!!

2016 Mexico Finalists
bbYg5Cy.jpg

@Enzo_Goiko (second from left), @Ness (second from right), and @pakicote (far right)

Welcome to SNAIL
From our humble beginnings, SNAIL (aka Sunday Night American Interactive League) is now the largest console-based sim racing league in the world. Our mission is to provide our members with clean, intense, and competitive racing - regardless of skill level! We believe that providing full grids of evenly-matched competitions is the most realistic way to race, improve skill, and refine racecraft! Our league night is Sunday at 9:30pm Eastern / 6:30pm Pacific, but we also have a a wide variety of other events held on other nights of the week. If this sounds like something you'd like to be a part of, please keep reading to learn more about us and how to join.

What Makes Us Different
SNAIL is the only sim racing league in the world that's able to combine five key features into one consolidated package. First of all, we provide you with evenly-matched competition to drivers of all skill levels. In fact, the intense level of competition that we produce has established SNAIL as the "go to" place to prepare for GT Academy. And if you want to keep track of your improvement along the way, you'll be glad to know that we keep the most comprehensive race data available on GTPlanet. We also feature an interactive process that allows all of our members to have a say in which cars and tracks we race. And last but not least, we're the only league that awards our members with valuable prizes just for racing with us!

Evenly-Matched Competition
Have you ever watched a professional race where drivers with completely different skill levels were competing on the same track? Of course not! That wouldn't be fun to watch, let alone fun to participate in. Unfortunately, that disparity of pace is something you'll often find in organized online racing. When this happens, you'll be lucky to have just a few drivers that you're truly competitive with. Everyone else will usually either be faster or slower than you. We prevent that from happening in SNAIL by dividing our drivers into separate divisions based on speed and skill. This results in full grids of evenly-matched competition and creates the closest and most intense sim racing experience around!

Prepare for GT Academy
If you'd like to compete in GT Academy, there's no better place than SNAIL to hone your skills to the elite levels necessary to make it to the finals. You need to be the best of the best to make it to Silverstone, and that's exactly what the drivers in our top division are. Half of last year's and half of this year's Silverstone Finalists have raced in SNAIL. And since our race format (which features multiple sprint races) is almost identical to the format used at the GT Academy national finals, they were able to use their SNAIL experience to help them advance to Silverstone. Click here if you want to advice from last year's eventual champion and click here if you want advice from last year's runner-up.

Valuable Prizes
Have you ever wished you could win free stuff just for having fun? If so, then you might want to know that our members win valuable real-world prizes just for racing with us! These prize are based on participation and not on race results. Some examples of prizes our members have won include GranStand sim racing products like this, this and this, ButtKicker products like a Gamer2 and a Wireless ButtKicker Kit. You can also join Team SNAIL and earn even more prizes, such as shirts (e.g. S.N.A.I.L. shirt, F1 shirt, GT Academy shirt), video capture devices (e.g. Hauppauge PVR), sim racing equipment (e.g. Playseat Evolution), and even gift cards (e.g. Amazon and PSN).

Spec Racing
SNAIL has always been a one-make series, but when we decided to prohibit tuning in all of our races, we became the first "spec" racing league on GTPlanet. Spec racing ensures that success is determined primarily by driving skill and not by differences in power, gearing, suspension, weight, or aerodynamics. Because variables in the car are eliminated, spec racing is the truest measure of driver skill! It also produces intense battles for position because all of the cars are equally strong or weak in the same areas of the track. Plus, you'll never spend hours tuning cars or wondering if someone is truly faster than you or if they just have a better tune.

Race Format
Our league night lasts for two hours and is split into three rounds. Each round consists of two races that last 10 to 12 minutes on a predetermined car and track combo. At the beginning of each round, a brief qualifying session determines the order of the starting grid. The first race is set to 'Fastest First' to reward the best qualifiers and the second race is set to 'Reverse Grid' in order to promote on-track action. Points are awarded based on our "perfect" points system. After a round is completed, we move on to the next round and repeat the same process with the next car and track combination. Once all three rounds are complete, we tally up the points and then let our interactive format kick in.

Interactive Participation
Our unique format allows everyone to have a say on which cars and tracks we race. It's also used to strike a balance between familiarity and variety of our car and track combos. In other words, the progression of cars and tracks that we race is slow enough for us to learn them well, but fast enough that they don't get "old". At the end of every league night, everyone votes on which car and track combo they enjoyed the least. The combo that receives the most "elimination votes" is dropped from the next week's lineup entirely. The combo that receives the second most votes is also dropped, but only partially. This is where our prizes come into play:

Prizes
A prize is awarded to the divisions winners with the three highest scores*. The division winner with the highest score gets Prize A. The division winner with the second highest score gets Prize B. The division winner with the third highest score gets Prize C: (NOTE: We now have a new process for breaking ties in the elimination vote)
Prize A: The right to select the new car and track combo to replace the combo that was voted off
Prize B: The right to replace either the car or the track of the combo that received the second most votes
Prize C: The right to "freeze" either the car or the track of the combo that received the second most votes

Promotion and Relegation
Although we split our drivers into separate divisions based on performance and skill level, we realize that our drivers are constantly improving and deserve a chance to climb the ladder of success. That's why we promote and relegate drivers before every season based on the results and data compiled during the previous season. This is also done to ensure that our races are as competitive as possible for all of our league members, top to bottom. Regardless of which division you're in, you will almost always be fighting to gain or defend a position on the track. Simply put, no other Gran Turismo league in the world can offer this much competitive racing to so many different skill levels.

Comprehensive Race Data
It's not always accurate to promote and relegate drivers based on championship points alone. That's why the massive amounts of data we track are invaluable to our league. You'd be hard-pressed to find a sim racing league anywhere in the world that tracks driver data and race results more comprehensively than we do. In fact, our SNAIL Data document contains so much information that we have to archive old data to avoid exceeding the GoogleDoc's maximum capacity! You can use this data to track the points championship for each season and compare yourself to other drivers in categories such as fast laps, total race pace, total points, average points per race, and power rankings.

Rules
We expect all drivers to follow our OLR Rules and pursue good racecraft at all times. If you're not sure what good racecraft is, watch this video. It can be summed up in one simple 'Golden Rule' of motorsports: It is the responsibility of the overtaking driver, meaning the car that is attempting to execute the pass, to make sure that the pass is made cleanly and incident free. If you don't agree with this rule or don't think it applies to you, this is not the league for you. If you ever feel like a driver is not following the rules, please wait until league night is over, then file a Racing Incident Report. Our Stewards will review the incident and issue the appropriate penalties.

Settings
Lobby Settings
Tire Settings:
Based on Dealership PP (not the PP after an oil change)
below 349 PP -> Comfort Mediums
350-399 PP ---> Comfort Softs
400-449 PP ---> Sports Hards
450-499 PP ---> Sports Mediums
500-549 PP ---> Sports Softs
550-599 PP ---> Racing Hards
600 PP & up --> Racing Mediums

How To Join Us
Step 1: Post a reply (by clicking the 'Reply' button at the bottom of this post) stating, "I have read the first post and would like to join," and tell us how you heard about SNAIL. (Do not start a conversation with anyone, just post your request on this thread).
Step 2: Watch the thread for a reply to your post and follow the instructions provided.
Step 3: Purchase the three cars listed in the lineup for our next races.
Step 4: Wait to be assigned to a division and then join that division's lounge on Sunday night.
If you are not sure which division you are assigned to, please check the Offical Driver List

For a list of helpful links and FAQ's, please click here.

I have read the first post and would like to join.
Heard about this through one of your drivers.

I'm smoove

I have read the first post and would like to join.
Heard about this through one of your drivers.

I'm smoove
@Smoove_cuda

Here's your official SNAIL Welcome Post!

Thanks for your interest!
Here's what you need to know (and do) in order to join SNAIL Racing League:

We run a clean league by enforcing a strict penalty system based on the SNAIL OLR (which is a modified version of the GTP OLR). We also expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide. Please become versed in both if you aren't already. Once that is complete, please follow the steps below to complete your entry into the league:

1. You start a conversation and add zer05ive, JLBowler, nmcp1, SAMHAIN85, llNovall & Akzl298
as participants.

The conversation title should be "Request To Join".

2. SNAIL Administrators will respond with specific instructions on what you need to accomplish to join the SNAIL [Spec] Racing.

3. Place the following links (URLs) in the favorites (or bookmarks) in your web browser for quick reference. Please make every effort to read and understand the following links. Over the years a great deal of time and effort has gone into creating this league and we would like nothing more than to have you but we ask that you take the time and effort to do your homework. 99.9% of any question you may have about SNAIL can be found in the posts below.
4. You drive fast and clean on Sunday 👍

Again, the original post has everything you need to know about what to expect on Sunday night and what you will need to have completed in order to be competitive. If you have any questions, please feel free to post your question on the thread.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all SNAILs to join as many as possible.
Welcome to SNAIL

Back