1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,477 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
This one isn't a Hot Wheels or Matchbox. A workmate gave it to me. Brand says Castline, the tires are real rubber and the doors and hood open, though it's the same size as any HW/MB

1971 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi

Hinged parts are always a plus. If you wanted to do a high speed wreck and wanted to capture a moment when the car is tumbling on its side with one of the doorlocks broken off, that would make a a nice photo.

I took one of my old majorettes, a yellow firebird with red interior, smashed the front end (in the center) so the hood would stay popped up and then I put it beside a metal rod I treated as a lamp post so it looks like a collision. :dopey:

The store clerk called me a collector today and I felt kind of bad. I don't aim for rarity, value nor "whatever I don't have".. I can't call myself a collector if I only collect Exotics, Supercars , JDMs, and whatever other cars I know/like (which exclude vintage cars, track cars, artificial cars, a handful of muscles, vans, trucks, planes, helicopters, motorcycles, utility vehicles like combines, garbage trucks, etc.)

Contradiction? :lol:

This one isn't a Hot Wheels or Matchbox. A workmate gave it to me. Brand says Castline, the tires are real rubber and the doors and hood open, though it's the same size as any HW/MB

Exquisite detail, and probably fine quality, too. Surprising the number of makes out there that have their models with hinged or removable parts. HW don't make too many, though I've noticed MB does try.

Last edited:
You don't feel one is not a collector if they only collect a limited variety of things?

Sort of like how people call themselves (hardcore) gamers while they only play like 1 or 2 games.

You did it again. :P

"...not a collector if they only collect..."

Sorry I just thought it was funny. I think if you are collecting any number of items, doesn't matter what exactly they are, you are still a collector. 👍

Exquisite detail, and probably fine quality, too. Surprising the number of makes out there that have their models with hinged or removable parts. HW don't make too many, though I've noticed MB does try.

Hotwheels and Matchbox are both owned by Mattel, just so you know. ;)

I think if you are collecting any number of items, doesn't matter what exactly they are, you are still a collector. 👍

I agree with this.
You can have a collection and it doesn't need to be complete for you to be called a collector.

I have a HW Buick GNX that has a removable hood; note it doesn't open, you can just take it off :odd: Pics of it are maybe a page back

Sorry I just thought it was funny. I think if you are collecting any number of items, doesn't matter what exactly they are, you are still a collector. 👍
I agree with this.
You can have a collection and it doesn't need to be complete for you to be called a collector.
Great, if Cano gets on my case for only searching supermarkets, I'll pull you two in and fend him off. :P

Maybe not in the States but in Canada, we get a cruddy variety of HWs compare to you guys.

We get only mainlines so don't complain.

On the other hand there's Majorette and Siku here.
Not that they ever get restocked, but still.

And although Cano can't get on our case for not being collectors IMO he was right in saying you could not make him jealous with the feeble supermarket finds the likes of you and me buy. :(

Screw Cano, I never intended to make him jealous. I'll make you other guys jealous instead.

Oh by the way, does he have that Burnt Orange Reventon yet? No? :sly: heeee!

SO I forgot to tell you all that M-POWER_FTW sent me a package in december so it's late telling everyone this but I got that camera for christmas and here's a pic of the contents
scaled.php

Now for my latest hauls combined into one!!!!
First my birthday, got three high speed wheel cars
scaled.php

I opened the lotus concept but have yet to find it, but heres the proof that I got it
scaled.php

also on the way back from and Orienteering A-meet, we stopped off at Love's, and I picked up these
scaled.php

For last I will show the 4 first cars I will open when I get jammers cases!
scaled.php

Good to know this thread is still very much active! Hoping some of the fellow old-timers are able to help me identify a car...

It would've been manufactured in the late '70s / early '80s. I believe it was a Matchbox car, but it might have been made by Hot Wheels. (98% sure it was Matchbox.)

The back half was a tracked vehicle, like a tank, and it could separate from the front cab, which became its own vehicle. I think it may have been olive green, or close to it.

Does this description sound familiar to any of you? Any help is much appreciated. =D

R1600Turbo
You did it again. :P

"...not a collector if they only collect..."

^This. +100000

AOS, I collect mostly real world cars that range from:

Tuners, JDM cars, Muscle cars, Aussie cars, Euro tuners, Exotics and Supercars, Sport trucks, SUVs. New car and old cars, stock and modified. That will, regardless what anyone says, you are still a collector. ;)

By the way, some new purschases yesterday:

Infinity G37 Coupe (sliver metallic)

'72 Plymouth Duster Thruster (teal metallic)

Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am (white CHP)

'70 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda (plum crazy)

'69 Camaro Z/28 SS Coupe (burgundy metallic)

'70 Chevy El Camino SS 396 (orange w/ black stripes)

'06 Honda Civic Si (FD9) (modified)

Nobody jelly yet? :lol:

I collect real cars too, but I don't know a lot of muscles or American cars (and thankfully I don't) which seem to be the other half or majority of what I don't have from the 2010/2011/2012 line up.

I ain't jelly with your list as I have some of them.

What I AM jelly about is that 240Z, red Mini (I only keep finding blue ones), and Hakosaku.

Grab your Popcorn and Enjoy the show!!!​

[/CENTER]

There are some fantastic pieces there. That Mistery Beetle is pretty difficult to come by. Also, the Toys R Us set! that's amazing!

As for the Hotchkis Camaro, care to explain? rare colour or wtf?

Looking at the bounty that diabolicwyvern scored makes me wonder if there are any serious collectors, or collectable cars like that, anywhere here in South Africa.... I mean, I collect hot wheels, but if it comes down to the old school stuff and the really rare cars, then i guess i dont qualify as a collector....

I agree with this.

This. I myself ain't a completist. For example:

Screw Cano, I never intended to make him jealous. I'll make you other guys jealous instead.

Oh by the way, does he have that Burnt Orange Reventon yet? No? :sly: heeee!

I don't have the orange Lambo but I don't even plan on buying it, it's hideous. I of course have the casting, in matte gray as it came out a few years ago as a first edition, and a black one I picked up recently, but that isn't a Roadster.

But as many people said here, you don't have to collect everything that crosses your path to be a collector. For example, I own 4 Speed Machines in all because exotics and super cars are not my thing. Everyone I know looks at me like I'm a rare insect or something because of that, but I'm not gonna dump $4 (what they cost here) in cars I don't like nor I feel they are worth it. Get what you like from what you can, and enjoy the hobby.

On another note - anybody hear about the Knight Rider KITT thats supposedly gonna be one of the 2012 new models? I read an article on an international site stating that its lined up for later this year!

It looks like it's real.

That car is freaking cool, got dammit. I don't have a single Castline, very hard to find over here.

I'm going to wait for better evidence. That car looks super custom, right down to the detailed dashboard. (which would never happen in a Hotwheels regular line car)

Super Custom? And with what casting? I know there are several 3d genm Trans Am castings around but believe me, NOTHING I've seen comes close to that casting. Not from HW, Yatming, not even JL's casting looks like that.

Super Custom? And with what casting? I know there are several 3d genm Trans Am castings around but believe me, NOTHING I've seen comes close to that casting. Not from HW, Yatming, not even JL's casting looks like that.

There's custom makers out there that can practically make their own cars now. They don't really need a casting to start off of. And I would expect sneak previews to come from Mattel, not shady photos from someone's kitchen table. :)

I'll just wait and see.

Latest Posts

Back