1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,477 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
got new avatar do you like it

animated-smileys-thinking-01.gif

It's a question. Answer it :P

I knew you were going to say that, so I already sent it.

So I received the package.

I was so anxious to open that box up to see a Shiny Red WRC Maj, but instead I got 2 tickets to the Autoshow... :grumpy:

I'll be doing another one just like it, except with flat black wheels and painting the car silver. Not sure when I'll have it finished though. This one was quick and easy.

Very good, 1600. I have a similar project going but it includes making custom water-decal tampos with the correct PMC-S logos on the rear, the missing number on the roof, and correct (I hope) driver's name, along with some detailing and swapping in much fatter wheels and tires, but it's still a long way coming.

What was the wheel donor?

R1600Turbo
Something I quickly threw together tonight. Please excuse the crappy lighting.

I like it. It's pretty good with the new wheels. Gives it a flush look with the body making it aggressive looking. 👍

Because I think I have four or five of them, more or less flawless condition...

Wrong. Make that seven. :D

The only issues with them are the mechanism on the flatbed towing truck (no idea what it's called in proper English, the white one with chrome wheels) being played to death back then and the disposable container truck having one of the mirrors broken. Lights, camera, action... and a bandwidth warning!

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Those ^ look cool Greycap, wish i still had my superkings... used to have:

American custom van (it's only Rock N Roll on the sides)

Portable bridge building truck (with bridge)

Mercedes logging truck (with HIAB and separate dolly truck)

futuristic car transporter (red)

a couple of Scammel trucks

AMC Javelin X2, 1 purple, the other red with white stripe and Firestone logo's

Model T hotrod firetruck thing

and a Jaguar XJ6 (i think) with caravan

Always wanted that fire plane transporter though.
(EDIT)
Always wanted the Iveco Ferrari F1 tranporter aswell (that was pretty rare.. even here in Britain), agree with Cano though, there's a few there iv'e never seen.
PS, wish i still had my Panasonic (sorry, Pioneer) Ferrari 512BB Superking... that was my favourite.

Last edited:
Got damn, that's pretty hardcore. Specially since I believe that, like most Matchbox, 80s Super Kings are harder to come by than their 70s, early 80s counterparts. Very cool stuff, I had never seen some of those.

I remember having that fire plane transporter when I was younger. I think the front wheels were steerable but sadly the transporter is gone now

I'm not that careful when drilling out the rivets. :lol:

I just drill until I can separate the cars. Usually they'll snap back together, if not then I'll just glue them once I am done. Fortunately the axle length on the wheels I used last night for the Skyline were perfect, I didn't have to re-size them. For cars that I do need to shorten or lengthen the axle, I use brass tubing. I cut the original axle like the guy in the video did, but you crimp it inside a small brass tube that has been cut to the length you need.

I like the red rims, too. 👍

I was watching some wheel swap videos on youtube? Do you guys really go through all this trouble just to swap wheels?

Yes, basically, altough that guy has a bit of stuff that I've never been able to find in here, like his "axle-material" copper tube, which absolutely does not exist in here... so I've come up with a way to:

a) narrow an axle with some straight-tip pliers, and
b) widening them with a method that involves changing the axle tubes for pins, cutting them to fit then joining them at the center with a small plastic tube used in bissutery jewelry and some superglue.

Other issues you may find involve, as it happened with him, the tires rubbing the metal, so you may have to file the fenderwels a bit; swapping in wider wheels which require extensive chassis reworking (I've done this twice already); and of course, lowering, which, depending on the stance you want to achieve, takes quite a bit of work.

Also, that guy pops the rivvets out not with a drill but with a Dremel high-speed file tip, I just bought one of those! I'll have to try it for opening a car next time I do it. I have never been able to find those small screws he used, either, I close the cars with small rivvets, but those are getting pretty damn difficult to find too.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, if you destroy the axle's mounting points, you have to make your own too.

Also, that guy pops the rivvets out not with a drill but with a Dremel high-speed file tip, I just bought one of those! I'll have to try it for opening a car next time I do it. I have never been able to find those small screws he used, either, I close the cars with small rivvets, but those are getting pretty damn difficult to find too.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, if you destroy the axle's mounting points, you have to make your own too.

He drilled them before he finished them off with the dremel though.

He had bunch other videos on youtube as well. Looks like he has the Hot Wheels wheel swap video market pretty much cornered. Mad collection of Hot Wheels in the background.

Much props to you guys and your custom cars. I had no idea there were so much work involved with the wheel swaps alone! :crazy:

Ahh, long time no post.

First with my old cars:

Photo0110.jpg

HW Nissan Titan - MB Audi RS6 Avant - HW Cadillac Escalade (which was given from my cousin)

Photo0089.jpg

TOMICA Toyota bB - MB Chevrolet Corvette C5 Convertible - HW Honda Civic (really, really old, I had it since I was a kid)

Photo0086.jpg

MB Nissan 350Z (forgot how I got it) - TOMICA Nissan Skyline Sedan Pace Car - MB BMW 328i Police Car

Photo0109.jpg

MAISTO VW New Beetle - Majorette Jeep Cherokee (got it when I was a kid too) - MB Dodge Magnum

Photo0107.jpg

CORGI Ford Thunderbird NASCAR - MB Audi RS6 Avant (the same one posted above) - MAISTO Subaru Impreza GDB-C WRC Petter Solberg - random Lamborghini Diablo (I think I bought this from a classmate when I was in grade school)

Now to the new grabs:

Photo0105.jpg

HW Dodge Challenger and HW Ford Mustang Fastback

Photo0100.jpg

HW Ferrari 308 GTS & HW Ford Fusion

Photo0101.jpg

HW Infiniti G37 & HW Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34)

Photo0094.jpg

HW Nissan Skyline GT-R KPGC10 & HW Nissan Skyline GT-R KPGC110

Photo0093.jpg

HW Crunch Chief & HW Ford Mustang GT '96

Photo0098.jpg

HW Anglia Panel Truck & HW Shelby GT500 '07 (with Matte Black paint!)

I indirectly personalized by KPGC110 by reserving it and buying it a week later. I just noticed that the saleslady wrote my name:

Photo0096.jpg

Looking at your new posts made me feel like I was outdated :indiff:

Also I bought most of the new grabs from a store I newly visited. Like a month ago or something because I was on a months worth of hiatus. Anyway I saw a Lamborghini Countach, and some classic Ferraris, sweet. I'm getting those for sure. Even saw a Lamborghini Gallardo in a special HW Christmas packaging :eek:

Last edited:
The Jeep Cherokee is a Majorette not a Maisto.

Ah yeah, typo. Thanks for pointing out.

EDIT: Some other Maisto's may look like Majorette's, like the Impreza WRC, but I'm feeling lazy so I'll leave them be for the meantime.

Last edited:
New Stuff

Kmart

IMG_0294.jpg

I left a handful of 2002s and M3s on the pegs.
If they're anything like the A-Team, they'll be scarce for a few months and then easy to grab.

Flea market

IMG_0291-1.jpg

2002 City Service Playset Oldsmobile Aurora
IMG_0289.jpg

Cap Blastin' Sonic Special.
IMG_0288-1.jpg

Five years after this car was produced it was included in the 1995 New Model series. :lol: Pretty sneaky Mattel.

For reference:
343h.jpg

Vintage Stock Finds

IMG_0301-1.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0297-1.jpg

IMG_0300-1.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

And Finally...

IMG_0295.jpg

The Since '68 Rodger Dodger is the best car in the lot, but I'm just as happy to have a few more of the Walmart exclusive RL and GY5pk cars. Especially the '67 Pontaic Firebird 400, which looks insanely good.

Some nice cars on this page. I especially liked the bB/Xb. 👍

I got these this week:

dscn1240t.jpg

Walmart had FIVE RX7 from what I saw. :eek: I didn't want to hog, so I got two(one to open ;) ). I also saw a A-Team, but I already got two of those, so.....

dscn1241k.jpg

I also followed R1600's suit....... and failed miserably. I was after just the white Challenger, and didn't know about any other cars. After molesting all the packages in the box, none of them felt like it had the shaker thing on the hood, but I got one anyway.

After seeing the poster inside, there are handful of cars I would have been happy to score, but nooooo, I get the crap made-up car. :ouch:

Back