1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,477 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
An Oldsmobile Aurora eh?

I had a yellow one with mesh-type rims, I thought it was a fantasy car :lol:

And a6m5, I'm digging dat SA22 RX-7.

I also followed R1600's suit....... and failed miserably. I was after just the white Challenger, and didn't know about any other cars. After molesting all the packages in the box, none of them felt like it had the shaker thing on the hood, but I got one anyway.

After seeing the poster inside, there are handful of cars I would have been happy to score, but nooooo, I get the crap made-up car. :ouch:

You can usually tell the made-up cars because they will have a bunch of weird textures to them. Real cars usually have relatively flat sides/top.

And a6m5, I'm digging dat SA22 RX-7.
Thanks!

I do love Jun Imai's(from Hot Wheels) pick of cars, and this is bit petty, but for me, some finishing touch they put on their cars takes quite a bit away from the overall look of their models.

830pxfj40landcruiserfe1.jpg

Land Cruiser - Mostly the wheels/tires. I absolutely love the gray one I bought with blacked out wheels.

Hakosuka - I think the body line looks off, or the oversized wheels/tires is throwing it off for me.

Kenmeri - I hate the wheels/tires. They just didn't do oversizing wheels in older Japanese cars(or anywhere for that matter).

RX-7 - This particular model, there isn't much I like about it except for the selection of the car itself.

Don't get me wrong, there are tons of stuff that I do appreciate. Rear of Kenmeri Skyline is nothing short of amazing, considering. :lol: My problems with these models seems to be mostly with the mega huge wheels & tires throwing off the stance, or proportion of the cars. It's just frustrating, because many of the muscle cars that I collect seems just fine.

Thanks!

I do love Jun Imai's(from Hot Wheels) pick of cars, and this is bit petty, but for me, some finishing touch they put on their cars takes quite a bit away from the overall look of their models.

830pxfj40landcruiserfe1.jpg

Land Cruiser - Mostly the wheels/tires. I absolutely love the gray one I bought with blacked out wheels.

Hakosuka - I think the body line looks off, or the oversized wheels/tires is throwing it off for me.

Kenmeri - I hate the wheels/tires. They just didn't do oversizing wheels in older Japanese cars(or anywhere for that matter).

RX-7 - This particular model, there isn't much I like about it except for the selection of the car itself.

Don't get me wrong, there are tons of stuff that I do appreciate. Rear of Kenmeri Skyline is nothing short of amazing, considering. :lol: My problems with these models seems to be mostly with the mega huge wheels & tires throwing off the stance, or proportion of the cars. It's just frustrating, because many of the muscle cars that I collect seems just fine.

You can usually tell the made-up cars because they will have a bunch of weird textures to them. Real cars usually have relatively flat sides/top.
There are some nice one's in there, but I don't think I have it in me to find them in stores, in those bags. I might look at toypeddler or eBay.

It can't be helped, really. HWs makes the cars to conform to the wheels they already have in production, it wouldn't be affordable to produce a certain line of wheels for just one or two castings. Yes it would be awesome, but not cost-sensitive.

Also, from Japanese Nostalgic Car:

We recently got some details on what’s coming down the pike from Mattel in terms of Japanese nostalgic cars, and although we can’t share anything with you yet… let’s just say you guys are going to lose your collective poo.

It can't be helped, really. HWs makes the cars to conform to the wheels they already have in production, it wouldn't be affordable to produce a certain line of wheels for just one or two castings. Yes it would be awesome, but not cost-sensitive.
It is just my personal taste, too. But as for the wheels, I know they have wide variety of styles. It's like the new Toyota 4Runners with oversize wheels & low-pro tires. They drive me crazy. :lol:

Also, from Japanese Nostalgic Car:
Any guesses? Anyone?

Newer - MR2
Older - Toyota 2000GT
Obscure - This freakin' Isuzu:
crsm0000000000.JPG

The RX-7 is actually modeled off the IMSA RX-7's from the 80's I believe.
If anything, it looks sort of a hybrid between a race car RX-7 & a bousozoku-style RX-7. :crazy:

I remember Jun Imai posting (yes, he posts at JNC) something about a Mazda RX3, but I cannot assure anything. Would be awesome, got damn.

Obscure - This freakin' Isuzu:

:embarrassed:

Yes please, especially in that orange.

We recently got some details on what’s coming down the pike from Mattel in terms of Japanese nostalgic cars, and although we can’t share anything with you yet… let’s just say you guys are going to lose your collective poo.

:boggled: :lol:

Awright people I'm gonna show you some custom pics I took a while ago and yesterday found and upped. This Meyers Manx was a wheel donor for its American-Racing like hoops...
IMG_5490.jpg

But I just could not get myself to abandon it, haha, it was like it was making a Bambi face to me, so I gave it a shave and haircut, erasing off the horrible tampos it had and painting the interior in black, and chroming everything that had to be chromed:
IMG_5617.jpg

Then the body was detailed and a 7-spoke wheel set off the E-Bay lots came to the rescue.
IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

And there it goes, instead of bein' in the trash box, it's now living a good life. Problem is:

5spoke.jpg

And that picture is OLD. To the ranks have joined like 5 more, and like 4 more of those white Cheetas. Will I look at all of them like abandoned puppies?

suffice it to say, I have one lying around in primer already -_-

a6m5
Thanks!

Nice FB RX7s a6m5 by the way.

Jun Imai does make some impressive cars, espically the older JDM cars.

But I have also see after observing the Hakosua/Kenmeri Skyline, the body seem to have a little offset not really flushing with the car's body for the KPGC10 and the bigger wheels on the C110.

If only HW could place the Kenmeri's wheels with the Hako's body. It would look proper, just like the American muscle cars with the wider bodies(i.e. '67-'69 Camaros) then the car would be perfect.

There's a few cars that suffer the wheel 'alignment' syndrome. Anybody notice it on the Lambo Renventons, espically the rear wheels?

I should just buy that Chevy truck. I like it, and I still pick it up in the store just about every time, but I don't buy it. :lol:

Yes please, especially in that orange.
Now, that was me guessing. My personal pick for obscure & nostalgic Japanese car would be this guy:

zero_450.jpg

It looks to me like the windows are too short height-wise in relation to the door height.

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. 👍

Subaru 360
I still love the Gran Turismo(2?) description of Subaru 360, insinuating that car's tendency to spinout suits the cars name. :lol:

Nice FB RX7s a6m5 by the way.
Thanks broseph! 👍

Stopped at Wal-Mart tonight to get some bread and swung by the Hotwheels. Nothing, as usual, but while looking for new endcaps I came across one of those plastic hanging things with some cars on it at the end of an isle. It had those old cars hanging from it I was talking about last time. One of them was a Radical Wrestlers Mazda MX-5 Miata. Score.

Best part, when I got to the checkout and rang it up, it came up at .40 cents! Double score! :dopey:

Sweet. :lol:👍

When I saw the five RX-7 at Walmart, this place also had couple of oldies mixed in the bin. Unfortunately, they were only 2009 & '10, both lame looking models. They also had messed up packaging, and smelled like mold. I probably should have picked up purel also. :crazy:

Well, I took off work today because I needed to renew the tags on the ole Impreza. Figured I'd need a few hours but as it turns out I needed only 45 minutes! Unfortunately, because I had time on my hands, I found a way to use it.

Antique Mall!

(Cano...Prepare to be Jelly at the Matchbox below!)

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Tomica RX-7 -- I know ZERO about Tomica cars, but this was the first one I have ever seen in an antique mall. It looks new, but it could be a few years old. Does anyone have an idea as to its age?
IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Mystery Mach 1 and a Connects Maryland '68 Cougar
IMG_0314.jpg

Getting the next three cars was interesting. While I was in the mall looking...the guy who owns the case came in to restock his shelves. These two Caddys were two of the new ones. He saw that I was buying quite a bit and so gave me a great deal ($6 for both) on these. Then he just gave me as a freebie the Shift kicker Capri below.

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

P-928 Predator
IMG_0311.jpg

And Finally...

While I'm waiting for my dremel to show up I thought I'd test out my paint thinner. It's a water based, bio-degradable product that is safe to use indoors. It does have a chemical scent, but it's very mild. I didnt bother taking it apart with my drill since I have a dremel on the way. Figured why learn how to do it one way if I'm moving to something else shortly.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

I look at this car and I can't help but think about Marty unearthing the Delorean from the mine in Back to the Future II or III. (Can't remember)

Last edited:
That Tomica RX-7, now that's more like it!

Edit: I just realized the total-absolute noob double post I pulled off earlier on this page. Wow. 👍

Well, I took off work today because I needed to renew the tags on the ole Impreza. Figured I'd need a few hours but as it turns out I needed only 45 minutes! Unfortunately, because I had time on my hands, I found a way to use it.

Antique Mall!

(Cano...Prepare to be Jelly at the Matchbox below!)

OH COME THE 🤬 ON, GOT DAMMIT!!! I still have never seen that casting in person!!!

The Tomica Mazda, dude, DUDE, you scored BIG-FREAKING-TIME. Any Tomica marked as made in Japan is vintage, Tomica moved it's facilities to China in the mid........ ergh, late 80s, I think, something along those lines. The car you've got is the hard to find black-wide-wheel variation of that RX7, and mint as heck. Late-70s, early 80s car, easy. How much? And how much to have it? heh.

However, as good as the other cars are, the Majorette has me completely puzzled. I have NEVER seen this car, I never knew it existed. Look closely at it, it's a cut-up Renault 4!!!! Check that out, late model base and tires but early suspension system, barely made in France I supose. Awesome oddball. Only thing yours is missing is a surf board:

2s8o0wl.jpg

As for the two Cadoos and the Shift Kicker, score too. Screw you.

If you're gonna try the paint remover, wait until the Dremel shows up and take the car appart, unless you want to have a Lotus with no windshield nor wheels nor base.

DAT TOMICA SA22 :drool:

Prices of TOMICA's here in PH were upped a notch. Now I can't get my hands on a GVB Impreza and an FD2 Civic Type R :indiff:

Also seen a 2000GT, C10, S30, and a few classic JDM rides as TOMICA classics or something way back. Dunno if they're still at that store I visited though. I'd probably pay a visit soonish.

I should just buy that Chevy truck. I like it, and I still pick it up in the store just about every time, but I don't buy it. :lol:

:lol:

That's the first time I've ever seen one, so I had to have it. I do really like it, but personally I think it would look a hell of a lot better with larger wheels.

Tomica RX-7

Holy crap, that thing is mint. Great find.👍

Last edited:
The Tomica was $4. The majorette was just $1.50. The turbo coupes were only $1.50 as well. He also had a corvette stingray premiere model, but wanted $3.

brushed the gel over the entire royal flash and it didn't appear to eat through the windshield. However I also stripped an upfront 924...nearly put a hole in the rear windshield. :lol:

Last edited:
So I got hold of a Purple El Camino... is that rare in the slightest bit?

I also grabbed 2 Majorette Red Bull F1s, I know there is a Webber and a Vettel, but I don't know how to distinguish one from the other. All I know is that one has a "5", the other has a "6", but everything else looks nearly the same.

Other than that, I grabbed a bunch of cars I already have just so I can paint over them. Do I have to do anything before hand or can I just paint directly on top? It's going to be a single solid colour.

Looks like it ain't. Its a 2011 Muscle Mania, but I haven't seen it before. I have black and the orange though. Got a response to the paint job inquiry? :(

Back