1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,499 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
Unfortunately in today's environments, if you don't make a scene, nothing gets done.
Uh..... not always. At my work, we would not mistreat a customer. If mistake was made, we will make it right. I do admit though, unfortunately, there has been times where the customer is absolutely wrong, or completely insane, but because of the situation they created, my boss basically decided to cut our loss, and give in.

I never realized how many crazy people there are in this world until I started dealing with the retail public.

Not you, Harry. I'm talking about some customers I've dealt with in the past. :lol: Seriously, many of them were certifiable.

Here's my miscellaneous picture of the day:

The Demon is what I yanked out of a 2004 Hot Wheels calender box.
The Celica is to rub in Jason's face.
The F40 is a Maisto that you assemble yourself I got today.
The Sandblaster and dragster I got at Big Lots today as well.
The Pronto is to show Andy the wheels I found.
The fabric is tacky.
The time is too close to 5 am to be awa...zzzzzzzz...

"Am I getting the wrong impression here or did I just create a script accurate enough for a reenactment?"

Yes, you did, Andy. What was the last book you read? You must have skipped a few words in my humourous anecdote about trying to find a Department Manager in a Big Box with a predominance of lackadaisical employees so as to inform them they were getting ripped off as well as ripping customers off unknowingly - and finally catching the sympathetic ear of a sales associate only because I had saved him $20.00 previously. I did patiently spend a lot of time explaining something to various people with no gain at all to myself personally - since I was not ripped off myself. It was also an exercise in customer service - as I had promised members on here that I would go and investigate and report back.
I wonder what you would get out of reading say The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bi-Cameral Mind, or Joyce's Ulysess.
In fact I now dread to imagine how you interpret the average post at this site. :nervous:
Coming from a Retail background - I can tell you when a customer walked into one of our stores they were treated like a person who put the bread on our tables. Because they did. You probably treat your customers with a lot more respect then these people did.
I have created a bit of a scene once - when the lap-top I had given in for repairs went completely missing and the sales staff at that store ran around with the repair slip unsuccessfully for hours. They replaced the laptop after a week of calls and visits - sans all the data in it, though - after I had called the Head Office in their Home country.

On another topic - I am glad you liked the blue Toyota - didn't you notice it in the pic I posted of what I was going to send you? I'm surprised the Diorama Thread escaped your attention, too - it has been around for so long and you do visit the Photography Forum so often - well I'm glad you finally did. Still waiting for your package, though. In fact, still waiting for Wyvern-64's parcel! He received my cars weeks ago.

a6m5 - yes, the Retail staff at most of the Big Boxes today are truculent, indifferent, uninformed, and probably grossly underpaid and overworked. I'm usually the very friendly type with staff - in fact was kind enough to explain to the rookie student the whole situation after which he perked up, a little more educated about what he was doing. As for the George Michael behind the cash - he actually thought brushing me off was good service, the poster hanging associate looked half-stoned, and the only Department Mgr I finally caught up with (the lady in mufti) was a haughty who had no idea what was going on, nor took the trouble to find out. Andy has also made me realise that I'm a very shabby writer. Unless of course, a book is only as good as its reader! I posted the story, though, specifically for you, since you asked. I have other Retail horror stories - but I think - IIRC - there is actually a thread somewhere around here that addresses those issues.

Zach - heh, heh, yes, a more perceptive view . . . the squeaky wheel gets the grease, eh. Making a scene? No, not really, I was polite, though firm - my story was misinterpreted and is now probably embellished by the imagination of everyone who comments after it. I do tend to write somewhat graphically and it can come off as scenic, if not dramatic. If I made a scene, I would have actually had the cops there, too - vandalism and theft are matters for the police. Or at the very least I would have stood there and screamed till I got the Store Manager to come speak to me. People do it all the time - happens a lot at the Cash or Customer Service. I usually try to avoid that stuff, but this experiment was just a lark for the benefit of the collectors in here. Hope you got a laugh out of it.

Will I go back to that store again, guys? Yes. Freaky Fridy is upon us. Buyer beware. The onus is on us to make sure we get what we pay for. Finding good service is a bonus - and not the norm in a world that has evolved ego as it's prime survival tool.

I never realized how many crazy people there are in this world until I started dealing with the retail public.

True - which is why I usually side with the clerks when there is some fight at the store between customers and staff, Andy. Coming from a Retail background myself I can vouch that the sales staff at most stores do not really have a job to be thankful about.

Surprise.

605.jpg
I have this Benz! That thing is pure class! Got it at Kit Kringle about 5 years ago, haven't seen it again since. Got to love them Corgi castings.👍

Retail horror stories, if there isn't one, there should be a thread on the subject. It will be a frigging circus and zoo in one. :crazy:

Making a scene? No, not really, I was polite, though firm - my story was misinterpreted and is now probably embellished by the imagination of everyone who comments after it. I do tend to write somewhat graphically and it can come off as scenic, if not dramatic.

:sly: Just as Andy planned. We're going to raise the bar on the seriousness of collecting tiny toy cars, everyone!

Don't sweat it, man. People naturally dramatize story-telling to make it sound more interesting. Though one should be more neutral with their descriptions if it's a serious matter.

Last edited:
That is totally personal preference. I thought it was funny & interesting. All you could ask for in a story like this, AOS. :lol:

It is, but I'm just saying what should be done to avoid misinterpretation..

Did you catch the bit where Harry reveals that he went as far as deploying hypnosis to turn the part-timer into a hero? I'm just letting him know that could've been interpreted as something terrible by some bypassing idiot who's watched too many police dramas :P

Last edited:
I do see where you are coming from.

I just posted same question in the firearm thread, but any interesting Black Friday deal in your area?

Like new guy posted last night, there is that Walmart deal of I think 9 car set for $5? I found one that is 2 for $1.49(or something like that). I'm going there probably, as a year ago on Black Friday, I found my first Treasure Hunt there. I hope they don't let me down. :embarrassed:

AOS - Yeah, i totally read that. It was bit over the top in both action & storytelling, but when you consider the subject & the thread we are discussing this in, I honestly thought it fit right in. *shrug*

I couldn't of thought of a better combo for that M3. :drool:

That Flintstone car, how ever... That's one simple casting! :lol:

I aactually talked wiuth the guy a bit. He used to customize (he even showed me some of his work, it was pretty amazing) but had no time at all now so he sold everything. I'll post the pics again just for you (:

That was the first batch. Later on he posted two other lots that contained about 60 blackwall/widewhite/redline axles. I asked him if he would end early for me and he did. All in all I spent about $15 in all of that, shipping included.

Aaand I traded these for a Ramp Truck.

Recently a Real Rider axle lot came up, but it went for like $40. No thanks.

All of those wheels! I'd go insane with customizing if I had at least 2/3 of a collection like that. :eek:

Especially those WW wheels. :P;)

Buick Bengal - IIRC. Buried deep within my boxes of cars now, but I found this pic and posted it because you guys were talking about the Ferraris. I have the BMW, too - but it's a Corgi, not the HW knock-off. I know I have pics of it somewhere - but I'm wading through pics here and totally lost now. Maybe I'll go dig the BMW up and take another pic.

EDIT: Yeah, it is the Buick Bengal, Doctor, check out the dashboard on the real car.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/bui...ies/us/en/vehicles/buick/concepts/bengal.html

I've got one of them! It's in not as good condition, but it's pretty alright.

Last edited:
I want to report him two times, but his avatar's another cool one, so I'll report him just once. I'm such a nice guy.

*snip*: Boulevard/Maisto switcheroo

Muwhahahaha!!!!

It appears my planned covert operations are being executed perfectly. It is only a matter of time before i cleanse you of your ailments Harry.
There is no escape... my minions are everywhere and are very loyal to the cause (even the co-op worker).

Yours sincerely. Dr Nessy Ford.

Good thing Ford targeted the east end of the GTA and not the west :P

"Coming to a store near You!" :mischievous:

Yours sincerely. Dr Nessy Ford.

[EDIT]

a6m5:
*I was perfectly aware which doctor Harry was referring to. :lol:*

The Dr is perfectly aware of which stores you frequent and knows all of your diecast habits too.

Muwhahahaha!!!!

Last edited:
In. your. dreams.

*cracks fists*

In Your dreams your entire Hot wheels collection will all metamorphisis into Maisto AMC Rebels..... We have the power to make that happen my friend.

*Finds mild amusement at those who choose to "crack fists"*

[EDIT]

a6m5....

I (the good Dr), am well versed in everything "Ninja"... though i usually have my top Koga Ninja operatives do my bidding for me. Their Shinobi skills are Legendary and unsurpassed.
They know all of your moves a6m5, and they have assured me your cure will be administered silently and swiftly.

Last edited:
I've never used decal paper either. Just youtube a tutorial and it'll make sense pretty quickly.
Yea i imagine there are tutorials out there on how to do it, i will keep my eyes open.;) Tell me if you find a good reliable one.;)
Yes there are.
Okay good! I have a Hot Hubs series Vampyra with these wheels on it and I was wondering if the rim (the green part on the wheel) is like a hub cap? Does it separate from the rest of the wheel?:confused: I really need to know!
Nice try guys :sly::P. That's a mid 90's version of the E and a rarer one plus unique, a Corgi cast.
Personally, I think they should bring that one back and all the other Corgi castings.
Especially these!
London Taxi
2012-11-22-114223.jpg

London Bus. Heck yea!:dopey:
2012-11-22-114236.jpg

Ford Sierra!:drool::drool::drool::drool: This car really brings out my inner child!:dopey:
2012-11-22-114313.jpg

These cars are so underrated!:indiff: They need to bring Corgi's back!:drool:

Edit: Reuploaded since I no longer need Photobucket.

Last edited:
Y

Okey good! I have a Hot Hubs series Vampyra with these wheels on it and i was wondering if the rim (the green part on the wheel) is like a hub cap? Does it separate from rest of the wheel?:confused: I really need to know!

It is indeed kind of a hubcap and it does separate from the tire, but I would not recommend trying to, they are press-fit in the tire and are extremely strong. I've seen two people break the spokes before the hubcap comes off.

Also, I wouldn't destroy that Vampyra either. Of all the Hot Hubs versions, that one is by far the rarest.

So I usually check this thread every day and the poll about taking cars out of the blisters may have been up for a while, but... where on earth did 177 votes come from? :dunce:
But then again looking at the number of unique posters it's not surprising.
Thread sure did grow.

Don't forget the 500SL!
Of course!:sly:👍
6da44c53.jpg

I could make a list of vehicles they should bring back!:sly:

It is indeed kind of a hubcap and it does separate from the tire, but I would not recommend trying to, they are press-fit in the tire and are extremely strong. I've seen two people break the spokes before the hubcap comes off.

Also, I wouldn't destroy that Vampyra either. Of all the Hot Hubs versions, that one is by far the rarest.
Wow, I didn't know that! To be honest, there's another one with lace wheels in the same series that has been sitting at Kit Kringle for months now, surprised no one has taken it yet, might consider grabbing it next time.:sly:

The reason I asked is because mine had wobbly wheels when I bought it and I was looking to replace the axles on it, but that hubcap was in the way and didn't want to drill it open and snap the axle and then find out I couldn't fix it.:guilty: So that's why I thought I would ask you first.;) If you can find an easy way to pull the hubcap off without breaking it, please tell me!;)

Edit: Reuploaded since I no longer need Photobucket.

Last edited:
You can always search up a casting for its history on HW Wikia. That's what I do.

You know, I honestly never thought of that. Thanks for tip. 👍
I mean, with the E30 Evo M3, we need this guy, right? ;)

Yes, yes to that. 👍
I have this Benz! That thing is pure class! Got it at Kit Kringle about 5 years ago, haven't seen it again since. Got to love them Corgi castings.👍

I have that Benz now too. I couldn't help myself, after Cano posted that picture of it, I grabbed one from E-Bay. :D I won't "officially" get my hands on it until christmas though.
There is no escape... my minions are everywhere and are very loyal to the cause (even the co-op worker).

:lol:!
I was perfectly aware which doctor Harry was referring to. :lol:

Yeah, I knew who he was referring to as well. It's really nice to hear from the good doctor again. :lol:

Didn't have any luck getting the game I was looking to get at Walmart, so I didn't even attempt looking at hot wheels since the place was ridiculously packed full of people that were mostly standing in the way of everything and everyone.

^^^^
I appreciate the confirmation
vvvv
a6m5....

I (the good Dr), am well versed in everything "Ninja"... though i usually have my top Koga Ninja operatives do my bidding for me. Their Shinobi skills are Legendary and unsurpassed.
They know all of your moves a6m5, and they have assured me your cure will be administered silently and swiftly.
I'm a Iga, and we so totally pwn Kogas! :lol:

You won't have to look for me tonight. I was debating if I should go look for Hot Wheels doing the Black Friday sale tonight, but I'm not really feeling up to battling mega crowd of shoppers for what I expect there to be a new stock of Hot Wheels & some $5 fleece sleep pants I wanted to get. :P

So I usually check this thread every day and the poll about taking cars out of the blisters may have been up for a while, but... where on earth did 177 votes come from? :dunce:
But then again looking at the number of unique posters it's not surprising.
Thread sure did grow.
I sometimes pay attention to the bottom where the page shows active users? This page routinely shows lurkers and "visitors".
SVX
Thanks for the compliment BTW, a6m5. :cheers:

Back