1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,496 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
I can grab those for you... but no to the Sunagon unless there was a 3rd one. The 2nd one I'm getting is going to be for a custom :P

noooooooooooooooooooooooo

SELLL IIT TOOO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :crazy:

also, how come you're finding Classics still in stores?

It was a new shipment for this overpriced store. I bought a ton of them since I don't have them nor were they overpriced. Funny enough, they overprice the basics, 3-packs, Ferrari Specials, 5-packs, but not the Easters, Classics and Hot Ones.

What other Classics are there available? That series have been around for a lot of time, they are not new at all.

Really weird. Ok, I'll take the Stude, the Texas Drive 'Em, and if you can find the Model A truck in the same color as yours, I'm game too. Thanks 👍.

Think I've decided to stay away from HWC for a while. That place is getting worse by the day. Forum software sucks, people bickering back and forth about opening cars, people posting photos that they found 20-30 of a single TH and horded them all and bragging about it, etc, etc. :rolleyes:

The 2nd one I'm getting is going to be for a custom :P
Can't wait to see it!:D:tup:

and todays episode of hoarding buried alive is....
Think I've decided to stay away from HWC for a while. That place is getting worse by the day. Forum software sucks, people bickering back and forth about opening cars, people posting photos that they found 20-30 of a single TH and horded them all and bragging about it, etc, etc. :rolleyes:

Stopped by Target to find that they had restocked their Hot Ones pegs. Only...with old stock. But at least there's more BMW M1s and Porsche 917s on the pegs. Might grab one another time.

Also still contemplating on getting that Matchbox 20 car set at TRU. Although, I want mainly just 7 or so of the cars in the set. :ouch:

I've just really had a craving to restore redlines recently, and this is just what I needed. :D

I've just really had a craving to restore redlines recently, and this is just what I needed. :D

Some of them will need special paint. Can't remember what it is, might want to do some research. (for the spectraflame cars) And I think they are painted without using a primer...

You need a special paint indeed, but the most important past is that you need to polish the entire body before painting to achieve the Spectra effect.

Some I'll restore, some maybe I'll restomod, and a few I'll leave as is; one being the C111.

The 'special paint' I believe is just a semi-translucent paint. The kind that is used by model kit builders to paint turning signals and other lights. I know that Tamiya make red, yellow and orange since I have them, but you'd need to airbrush them on. I don't recall ever seeing a paint like that in a spray can.
And as has been pointed out before you need to polish the body.

Yes indeed. Or you can buy authentic PPG spectraflame finished, but they are automotive paint and require all the equipment to apply them, and are expensive as all hell.

Oh oh oh, so so just because it's a BMW M1, it's automatically a fantastic photo now?

:P

:lol:

Nah, all of your shots are awesome, it's just that the M1 worked so well with your diorama. :)

Yes indeed. Or you can buy authentic PPG spectraflame finished, but they are automotive paint and require all the equipment to apply them, and are expensive as all hell.

Not necessarily. Some Auto paint shops can make spray cans which can be used like any other standard spray can.

Also still contemplating on getting that Matchbox 20 car set at TRU. Although, I want mainly just 7 or so of the cars in the set. :ouch:

What else was inside that car set?

The 'special paint' I believe is just a semi-translucent paint. The kind that is used by model kit builders to paint turning signals and other lights. I know that Tamiya make red, yellow and orange since I have them, but you'd need to airbrush them on. I don't recall ever seeing a paint like that in a spray can.
And as has been pointed out before you need to polish the body.

I have a spray can that supposedly gives you a spectraflame-like finish... some iodized paint or whatever. It says to spray over a chrome finish, so I see it as a colour tint over the previous surface. Whether or not you have to prime the surface before the chrome paint I don't know.

What else was inside that car set?

I have a spray can that supposedly gives you a spectraflame-like finish... some iodized paint or whatever. It says to spray over a chrome finish, so I see it as a colour tint over the previous surface. Whether or not you have to prime the surface before the chrome paint I don't know.

Some chrome paints require black (or dark colour) underneath i think.

Don't even bother with the chrome paint. Just polish the zamac. Can be done with a dremel...

And now the toy.

Rolling Thunder by commodoreben, on Flickr

I used to have a couple of them when i was younger too, didn't have the van (i get it mixed up with the Lunch box :lol:), i had Awesome Kong II and a yellow blazer (forget the name).. really loved the pneumatic rubber tyres and the loose axle housing that allowed to give the impression of 4WS.

Sunagonhotonesopened_zps752cf035.jpg

Sunagonhotonesclosed_zpsfb368dec.jpg

Man, i love that thing. Great pics too AOS. 👍

Last edited:

As far as I know the ONLY legitimately chrome looking paint is a kind where you paint a gloss black first and then paint the chrome paint over that.
So either that or like Cano said polish the zamac.

Back