1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,483 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
Just got this. . .

p1020371b.jpg

That's a really nice little 914, great colour too.

Talking of green Porsches, sometimes you just can't beat a good 1/64 Minichamps model...

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

I went searching through this (It used to be full)

And found a bunch of old hot wheels and matchbox
picture039ky.jpg

awesome find:sly:

from the side
picture040jm.jpg

from the other side
picture043e.jpg

some micro machines
picture041zt.jpg

from the front
picture041zt.jpg

from the prius view
picture044z.jpg

from the front again
picture045i.jpg

Ok people, I’ll start showing you the flea market stuff. Least you think my collection only grows because of E-Bay, think again. Every chance I have I make the rounds in local flea markets and garage sales to chase down stuff that you simply can’t fin d in the interwebz, and at stupid-cheap prices most of the time. And I love to score these places. Some of the following are a couple months old, and some are fresh from this week.

First, the ones that have been with me the longest, all these came from the usual flea market a couple of months ago.
IMG_3699.jpg

First is this Hot Wheels Torero redline in brown. I don’t really know how rare this color is on this casting, but I wasn’t gonna let it there for a measly $4US. It’s a model I’ve always liked and it’s in pretty good shape… hey, it was made in 1969. I'll soon put up here a picture with it's hood opened.
EDIT: hood up.

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

Then we have this awesome France-made Majorette cement mixer, almost as new; it may seem weird that it has different rear wheels, but that is because it has a mechanism to make the barrel roll while it runs, that depends on a series of gears activated by that… err… little thing on the rear wheel, as shown in the insert.
IMG_3703.jpg

But even with a redline at stake, the real star here is the hyper-rare, Mexico-made Rock Buster. I grabbed it and later talked with a friend that is well-versed in Mexican Hot Wheels, and he told me it’s one of the rarest models to find nowadays, let alone in such good shape. He told me that he paid about $50US for his, so when I told him mine was all of $2US, he went more or less berserk.
IMG_3706.jpg

In this picture you can see how the wheel axles are out of place, the bracket surely broken. I learned with my friend that this is a problem almost inherent with this Mexican model as the plastic used to cast the base (Only variation this old of this casting with a plastic base that I know of, all others had metal bases) was really low quality. He told me that all the Mexican Rock Busters he knows of have this problem but one. It also seems that my car is an even rarer variation with same-size wheels in both sides, as the normal one has bigger rears. Note “Made in Mexico” script.
IMG_3708.jpg

These are more recent, all from the usual flea market, the chrome Chevrolet is a HW from the mid-90s, and the Z3 is a Tyco-era Matxchbox. The relevant pieces here are the Lesney boat and the poor, poor Mexico-made VW Sunagon.
IMG_3690.jpg

Here is the Lesney boat, it’s rear prop is complete and it’s in general good shape, it’s only missing the tip of the soldiers gun.
IMG_3697.jpg

And the mexican Sunagon, which is all covered in white out, it lacks windows and it’s top, but it is the rare non-metallic blue variation, so I’m gonna try to rescue it’s original paint. I’ve tried with alcohol and it does take out the white stuff. I hope I can remove completely, if not, it will be stripped and completely restored.
IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

Expect lots, LOTS more in the following days.

Last edited:
Cool finds, Cano. The VW Sunagon is a very cool piece. 👍

Depending on condition.

Haha, yes. Forgot to mention this too. :dopey:

On another note, here are two variations I found today. The middle car has blue tinted windows and the other two have black tinted windows. Only saw one with the blue windows, all the others were black.
IMG_1737.jpg

And more cars arrived in the mail today. Mercedes C-Class and 1970 Dodge Charger Daytona.
IMG_1745.jpg

Love the gold Daytona on the back.
IMG_1741.jpg

Cool finds, Cano. The VW Sunagon is a very cool piece. 👍

Haha, yes. Forgot to mention this too. :dopey:

On another note, here are two variations I found today. The middle car has blue tinted windows and the other two have black tinted windows. Only saw one with the blue windows, all the others were black.
IMG_1737.jpg

And more cars arrived in the mail today. Mercedes C-Class and 1970 Dodge Charger Daytona.
IMG_1745.jpg

Love the gold Daytona on the back.
IMG_1741.jpg

where do you get these hot wheels i cant find any old ones (link?)

where do you get these hot wheels i cant find any old ones (link?)

eBay. :D

What I do is look through SouthTexasDiecast.com for cars that I like, check variations and what they're worth, then head over to eBay and look for them. I try to get the cars for less than what they're worth with shipping included. So far, the Mercedes was the only one that came out to be a dollar over what it was worth, but I really wanted it.

look on website
see assault crawler
Assault_Crawler_TanL.JPG

tan version $12.00 in package
yeah
goes to ebay
3 results
$4.25 yeah
its a bid awwww
$2.99 yeah
also bid awwww
$20.00 buy it now ummmmmmm

tan version $12.00 in package
yeah
goes to ebay
3 results
$4.25 yeah
its a bid awwww
$2.99 yeah
also bid awwww
$20.00 buy it now ummmmmmm

You can still bid if someone bid on it already, just bid a little more and try not to go over what you think it's worth. I stay away from "Buy It Now." :lol:

I found a great gold chrome hot wheel on ebay with no bids and only an hour to go and I asked my mom and she said "I'm not buying any hot wheels off ebay"
I'm sad

advice to all of you: buy in lots. Really. Buying one car at a time eats you alive with shipping costs. Buy in lots, keep the ones you like, re-list the rest in lots in E-Bay! or, if you know any other collectors, sell the remanents to them for a fair price and recover some,if not all, of your investment.

Do you really think that I keep every car that comes in those huge E-Bay packages? I'm just gonna say that I have already recovered all the money I spent on them, and I still have many, many left for sale or trade.

EDIT: I thought I didn't have pictures of the Z3 or the chomre chevy, but here they are:

IMG_3318.jpg

30.jpg

And that very same day I also found this, didn't post it as it found a new home that same afternoon, I already have it but mine is deeply buried in who knows what part of my BIG box. I wasn't gonna post it but though you guys might enjoy seeing it, as it's pretty rare to find. Matchbox Porsche 911 GT1.

IMG_3312.jpg

Last edited:
I found a great gold chrome hot wheel on ebay with no bids and only an hour to go and I asked my mom and she said "I'm not buying any hot wheels off ebay"
I'm sad

Sorry. :(

advice to all of you: buy in lots. Really. Buying one car at a time eats you alive with shipping costs. Buy in lots, keep the ones you like, re-list the rest in lots in E-Bay! or, if you know any other collectors, sell the remanents to them for a fair price and recover some,if not all, of your investment.

Totally forgot about looking for/buying in lots. :banghead:

The chrome Chevy is awesome. That's what I need next, a chrome car in my collection!

Yup, 4 different ones, just wanted this one for now. Plus, one of the other variations goes for around $150. :crazy:

Sad thing is I probably had that variation. Along with every other variation for every other car from that year. Sold them all a while back though. :(

Sad thing is I probably had that variation. Along with every other variation for every other car from that year. Sold them all a while back though. :(

dude, big mistake! Did you at least sold them in their true value? or $1 a pop or something like that?

dude, big mistake! Did you at least sold them in their true value? or $1 a pop or something like that?

Everything went for around $1 each. This was way back in like 1999 or 2000. Pretty sure I needed the money to help pay for my first car. Sold over 800 cars. :crazy:

Everything went for around $1 each. This was way back in like 1999 or 2000. Pretty sure I needed the money to help pay for my first car. Sold over 800 cars. :crazy:

Ouch. Well, you enjoyed that damn Civic, nah? It was a civic if I remember correctly?

Ouch. Well, you enjoyed that damn Civic, nah? It was a civic if I remember correctly?

No, further back in time than that. My first car was an automatic 1985 Mazda RX-7 GS. Blue in color. 👍

Also, just got back from WalMart not too long ago. Picked up:

• '71 Dodge Challenger (Hotwheels, Purple)
  • '69 Ford Mustang GT-500 (Hotwheels, Red)
  • Audi R8 (Matchbox, Red)
  • '68 Ford Mustang GT CS (Matchbox, Silver)
  • Lotus Evora'08 (Matchbox, Green)

I also got back from the shops, no T-Hunts but I found a Matchbox car I have been looking for which is that Holden Ute some of you were talking about, there was only one. I also saw quite a few of those green Evora's but I couldn't resist the green on the Holden, its a really nice model :)

Robin.

I also got back from the shops, no T-Hunts but I found a Matchbox car I have been looking for which is that Holden Ute some of you were talking about, there was only one. I also saw quite a few of those green Evora's but I couldn't resist the green on the Holden, its a really nice model :)

Robin.

I've seen that Holden, pick-up type car right? I actually really like it, but I never really go for Matchbox cars, unless they're Japanese classics or another really good looking classic. I'm weird like that. :lol:

Found another variation today!
IMG_1757.jpg

Another collector actually gave me this treasure hunt today, after I asked him if he could spare a hunt. :)
IMG_1761.jpg

AGH I want that shelby with the normal 5 spoke instead of the horrid wheels the normal one comes with. I'll be sure to look for it, now that I know it exist. Thanks for the heads up (:

I've seen that Holden, pick-up type car right? I actually really like it, but I never really go for Matchbox cars, unless they're Japanese classics or another really good looking classic. I'm weird like that. :lol:

Yeah that's the one, here's a pic I took...

48458512.jpg

Another collector actually gave me this treasure hunt today, after I asked him if he could spare a hunt. :)

Wow that was nice of him, I would love that GTO!

Latest Posts

Back