1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,483 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
Here's some of my latest Hot Wheels purchases (From top: '49 drag Mercury, Volkswagen Type 181 with no rear wheels and Ferrari 512M).
022jw.jpg

The Type 181 here is a very interesting model as it features both an error (no rear wheels/axle) and what I think is a rare variation (the pink tinted window).
vwerror2.jpg

vwerror3.jpg

vwerror4.jpg

vwerror5.jpg

The card/blister pack shows some signs of damage, which may mean it has been opened, but I doubt this, considering where I purchased it.
vwerror1.jpg

I've seen that Holden, pick-up type car right? I actually really like it, but I never really go for Matchbox cars, unless they're Japanese classics or another really good looking classic. I'm weird like that. :lol:

You know, I'm finding the Matchbox cars lately are much better castings than many Hotwheels cars. More detail, and I really like the new wheels they are using as well.

You know, I'm finding the Matchbox cars lately are much better castings than many Hotwheels cars. More detail, and I really like the new wheels they are using as well.

That recent? This has been going on at least 5 years now, bud. Matchbox has eaten HW alive in terms of quality and detailing, but you can't beat HW for marque appeal; let's face it, the HW name is just tooooo big, heck, you can see it even in the budget the two brands have. in any case, I really think that Matchbox has given a GIGANTIC step in quality in the last years, whereas Hot Wheels has been on the downfall.

And the one store here that sells Matchbox cars only has about 5 pegs for them which never sell.
:grumpy:

I agree with the quality, but I've loved Hot Wheels since I was a little kid, so that's what I usually go for and am interested in. I wish they made more cars with metal bases, though.

The Type 181 here is a very interesting model as it features both an error (no rear wheels/axle) and what I think is a rare variation (the pink tinted window).
vwerror4.jpg

Nice find. I think it's a hard to find variation, just checked HWC.com. There are 6-7 variations of the Type 181 for that year. :eek:

I agree with the quality, but I've loved Hot Wheels since I was a little kid, so that's what I usually go for and am interested in. I wish they made more cars with metal bases, though.

They're moving away from Metal bases and opening parts on the cars as it makes them too expensive to manufacture and hard to sell for under $1. (in the USA)

Good error card mate! You know those things can be something rare/special one day.

I got this last week, been looking for the G37 for quite a while...

IMG_0274.JPG

Dug out some of my old stuff.

picture.php

A bunch of NASCAR stock cars from early/mid nineties. The 12, 17, and 2 car in the front are Matchbox, the rest are by Racing Champions
picture.php

hotwheels set
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The one all the way to the left used to change colors when you got it wet.
picture.php

Some random junk, not HW or MB
picture.php

Not sure where the fifth piece of this set went
picture.php

Majorette cars! The firetruck, police car, and van used to light up and make siren noises
picture.php

Everything else
picture.php

picture.php

Sorry for the crappy cell phone quality

Some nice somewhat older stuff there! this set is pretty cool and in great shape:

picture.php

I have all the cars that conform it, but I never got them as a set. The Matchbox sets are amazing, I didn't know of them!

In the last picture, the Matchbox Grand Marquis cop car i somewhat hard to come by, as well as the racing RAM. Very cool.

I have that police Blazer also. But, I doubt I got mine in a set, as I don't remember any of the other four. :P

I stopped by Walgreens today and noticed they put up a whole column full of Maisto Speed Wheels. Not of the greatest quality, but they had cars that I liked and some nice paintjobs. Picked up two VW's (one is for customizing) and two Porsche's.
IMG_1772.jpg

I <3 the 356.
IMG_1779.jpg

And a wheel error I found.
IMG_1765.jpg

AAAAH DUDE!! what a post. FREAKING COOL. I see some real jewels there. The Corgi Pacer is very hard to find. I also see some Sikus, the Playart VW Bus which is as hard as they come to find in decent shape and with the lateral doors... damn, some really cool stuff, some of those are great restoration projects!! If you ever want to part with them, I promise I'll take good caare of all of them, really (:

Here's some of my older cars, most of which are quite damaged. They are mostly Matchbox and Hotwheels, but there are also a few Tomica, Playart, Corgi and Majorette cars as well as some unknown brand cars

What car is the burgundy sedan with the white roof?

Some nice cars you got there.

P1080104 by smiglo, on Flickr
Acura NSX, BMW M3, Dodge Challenger Drift Car, Volkswagen Type 181

P1080102 by smiglo, on Flickr
Dodge Viper GTS-R, C6 Corvette (Convertible), Ford Shelby GR-1 Concept, Dodge Challenger Concept, Custom '07 Ford Mustang.

P1080101 by smiglo, on Flickr
Ferrari F50, Ferrari 573GTC, Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Ferrari GTO, Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano

nothing special
but happy with today purchase :)
especially 5pack was buy one get another 1/2 price

you haven't found it? how? wtf? I even put them aside in the aisles because they get in the way. both colours. That's very odd!

If you ever want to part with them, I promise I'll take good caare of all of them, really (:

I'm not sure if mailing items between memebers is against the GTP rules, but I have a shoebox full of loose junk from ebay purchases gone awry that I'm willing to donate to anyone looking to restore. Most are late redline era through mid 80s. If you were willing to post a high res-photo of the finished product for folks, I'd be willing to mail out a car or two to honest folks.

Mods--I'm not sure if this sort of thing belongs in this forum (or if its even condoned) but I'll delete if need be.

4/28 UPDATE: Sending 4 junkers to Cano (Jack Rabbit, Nomad, Formual 5000, Sir Rodney Roadster

Last edited:
I'm not sure if mailing items between memebers is against the GTP rules, but I I have a shoebox full of loose junk from ebay purchases gone awry that I'm willing to donate to anyone looking to restore. Most are late redline era through mid 80s. If you were willing to post a high res-photo of the finished product for folks, I'd be willing to mail out a car or two to honest folks.

Mods--I'm not sure if this sort of thing belongs in this forum (or if its even condoned) but I'll delete if need be.

Dude, I'll not only post pictures of the frinished cars, but of the entire restoration process. To put my money where my mouth is, I recently turned this:
aswas.jpg

into this:
interior.jpg

And this:
almost.jpg

It isnt ready, it´s still missing a rear diffuser I made and some general detailing like the mirrors and the red in the taillamps, that is why I hadn't shown any of you the pics. But hey, it will look almost like this when I'm done. 'Sides, for free HWs I'll for sure give a sneak peek!

You have a PM, man.

I'll confirm Cano knows his stuff and would turn anything you send him into a great little die cast. 👍

Dude, I'll not only post pictures of the frinished cars, but of the entire restoration process. To put my money where my mouth is, I recently turned this:
aswas.jpg

into this:
interior.jpg

And this:
almost.jpg

It isnt ready, it´s still missing a rear diffuser I made and some general detailing like the mirrors and the red in the taillamps, that is why I hadn't shown any of you the pics. But hey, it will look almost like this when I'm done. 'Sides, for free HWs I'll for sure give a sneak peek!

You have a PM, man.
can you give me tips on restoring cars

Back