1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,483 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
can you give me tips on restoring cars

Here you go. :)

Look, get a 1/4 metal thread for your drill and simply put the car belly up in a rag and start drilling exactly over the rivet, eventually the car will pop. Then give ONLY THE METAL PARTS some paint remover or throw them in thinner for a few days to remove both the brushed paint and the original paint. You may have to use a thooth brush to remove the paint that refuses to go. After you taake them out, wash them very VERY well with soap water to remove any trace of thinner or grease.

For the plastic parts that got stained by paint, you will need to clean them with alcohol or, at most, nail color remover, that green thing. Get a dab of cotton and remove all the paint you can. For the glass of the car, do not use the green thing, use only alcohol. When you have all the paint out, you'll notice your glass is dull now. A bit of car polish could take care of that. If not, you may have to sand it in order to make it bright and shiny again.

With the car in pieces it is way easier to paint them, though you'd be better off with a cheap spray can, you'll have better results even if you don't primer the cars. The problem with trying to mask the cars with normal masking tape is that the paint comes in no matter what you do, you'd need Tamiya or some pro-grade masking tape to avoid the stains, but it's pretty expensive.

you haven't found it? how? wtf? I even put them aside in the aisles because they get in the way. both colours. That's very odd!

Actually I stopped at WalMart tonight to get a seat cushion for my work chair and found both colors. :lol:

Although the red one has a bend card and a black paint spot on the hood. But it was the only red one I could find. :( Also got:

• 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
  • 1969 Dodge Super Bee
  • 1963 Studebaker Champ
  • 2010 Chevy Camaro Indy Pace Car (red)

Edit: For the restoring cars, I wouldn't really consider it a restoration when colors/wheels are changed. More like a custom car. I've seen proper restorations done to redlines, etc that restore the car to the original color and wheels. (or replica wheels)

Could anyone give me a quick run through on how to insert photos in the thread. I have some of my collection on an SD card, but the insert is asking for a link and I'm quite tech-unsavvy. Where do I find a link for the images?

Could anyone give me a quick run through on how to insert photos in the thread. I have some of my collection on an SD card, but the insert is asking for a link and I'm quite tech-unsavvy. Where do I find a link for the images?

Of course, but first you need to open an account on a picture-sharing website. I use photobucket and it's pretty fine. Register there and then simply upload your pictures there from your computer or usb. There is a gigantic "upload pics" button, so it isn't a problem.

Once your pics are up, Photobucket will give you the IMG code tag to put them in forums. When you place your mouse cursor over a picture, it will display three text areas under it, the second one contains the link of your pic between a pair of tags that read [img ] and [ /img], those are forum image tags. Simply copy those and paste them as are here, and we will be able to see your pics.

Of course, but first you need to open an account on a picture-sharing website. I use photobucket and it's pretty fine. Register there and then simply upload your pictures there from your computer or usb. There is a gigantic "upload pics" button, so it isn't a problem.

Once your pics are up, Photobucket will give you the IMG code tag to put them in forums. When you place your mouse cursor over a picture, it will display three text areas under it, the second one contains the link of your pic between a pair of tags that read [img ] and [ /img], those are forum image tags. Simply copy those and paste them as are here, and we will be able to see your pics.

Got it...just finished upload. I took 12 pics, but as to not bog down the thread...I'll just put a few up at a time.

A few pics of what I have on permanent display

IMG_0142.jpg

Some valuable cars
IMG_0147.jpg

My rarest car--Before I was into the value of particular cars...I opened everyone I purchased to display. This error was one of them--a brillant combination of the two rarest wheelsets + metal base. My local hotwheel shop gave me $40 for the 5sp, but didnt dare make an offer on this one.

IMG_0150.jpg

--Hopefully these work--

A few more pics. These are carrying cases of cars I used to display. All cars are IMO C9+ I've told my wife...if we miss a mortgage payment, you're losing you car before I lose my little cars :lol:

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

My Johnny Lightnings

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

First year X-V

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

HOLLY &()(/&/$%&$% SH...ehh... yeah.

There are some CARS there. Some variations that are nigh impossible to find. The blue Omni is hard as heck. The white SVO Mustang is also hard to find. But in general, all these are amazing pieces, and all of them in great shape!!! from that picture we share about 60 percent of cars, specially the hot Wheels.

And how come that Cobra is so rare? I have one lying around still in blisterpack but I haave no idea of the variations of these things.

And dude, if you are going to post stuff like this, heck, CLOGG THE DAMN THREAD.

EDIT: Oh crap more pics!!!! There are some very awesome cars in there too! Seeing the new pics, I can tell you our collections are pretty similar. I also have several of the cars in the cases... not as many JLs because, well, they were never sold in Mexico, so the few I have have been brought from E-Bay. That red HW Bug has been all-out elusive.

The roarin rods cobra came in 4 variations:

Yellow & Silver, Black Metal Chassis, 5SP's
Yellow & Silver, Black Metal Chassis, 7SP's
Yellow & Silver, Black Plastic Chassis, 7SP's
Yellow & Silver, Metal Chassis, 7SP's

The 5SP's are extremely rare. They were short run and I imagine off typical buying season. Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd quarter production run. 50-1 the rarity over the metal base 7sp, which is rare in and of itself. I sold a carded one last summer for $40 and that was a bargin because my local shopowner adores Shelby. This one, and keep in mind I like the guy, I would have asked $60 for it loose

That red HW Bug has been all-out elusive.

The red VW isnt worth that much, but sometimes the hardest cars to find ar that way. Hotwheels and diecast in general are funny that way

One last pic, could miss an opportunity to post a couple more park-n-plates and the Pink Pearl driver VW

IMG_0151.jpg

I'm also missing that Sol Aire, and it hurrttttsss, it's one of my fave castings. I actually have that pink Bug, found it at a flea market, minty, for about $2. It GLOOOWSSS

I thought I would show you my collection:

First up, here is my plastic box of my older cars
toycarsdraw.jpg

I also have a big container of cars seen here
toycarscontainor.jpg

Space wise, this a very good thing to get. It holds on to your door!
toycarsdoor2.jpg

Overall
toycarsdoor.jpg

Bottom half

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
toycarsdoor3.jpg

Top half​

For future reference since you're a premium member you can also upload albums here instead of using an external site for your pictures. Just go to your 'My GTPlanet' page and click Pictures and Albums under the Networking section on the left side of the page.

Anyway... You have some amazing cars there! Beautiful collection 👍

Got my 510 done, it's cherry red. It has painted side markers in the front and the rear, though you could barely tell in the pics. Also, not sure which wheels to go with.

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

Cano, your inbox is full: here is my response

IMG_0166.jpg

First two rows are the redlines. Last two rows are the extras which include a majorete thunderbird, HW corvette stingray and the two Hot ones, the '82 Supra and the P-928. The Supra I would love customized. The porsche I've provided is a donor car for the slightly larger rear wheels for the Supra.

(Uploading a few more pics to thread as well)

No problem with too many pictures, but you could have just edited your last post as they are only 3 minutes apart.

Anyway I don't think I've come across any other hobby with people so willing to help each other out and send them die cast for free.

No problem with too many pictures, but you could have just edited your last post as they are only 3 minutes apart.

Anyway I don't think I've come across any other hobby with people so willing to help each other out and send them die cast for free.

👍👍

To Jai...The XJ220, which looks awful in that light, was part of an anniversary release. I dont have all of them, but a Zender from a previous picture I put up was also part of the set.

To $miglo...I just started adding pics yesterday, but if I add a few pics a day for the next month...I may show half of the stuff actually boxed up in my house. :D Thank goodness my wife doesnt have a hobby or we'd be in trouble.

Last edited:
A few from the 80s
A few from the 90s

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

I apologize for the many posts...I'm just excited to find a community for us on GTP

You have an AMAZING collection! I have the Audi Avus Quattro and the blue BMW 8-series coupe you have, but they're not in near as good shape...

There are, if I'm honest, too many places too close to me to find diecast. If you drive just south of St. Louis for 45 minutes,. you can hit 4 antique malls and several year round flea markets + 1 stand alone Only hotwheels store. I make the drive a couple times a year with my twin brother, search the HW only booths for 3 hours or so and come back with 3-5 carded and a 15-20 loose. I only take $40 with me for food and merch, so its quite an inexpensive hobby.

I also attend 2-3 times a year the toymanshow which is HUGE in St. louis. If you're a child of the 70s, 80s (as I am) or even 90s...this is a MUST.

Some of the info on the site is dated..especially the vids, but the shows jsut get bigger and better.

St. Louis Best Toy show

Driving park---Thanks for liking my collection. I've gotten lucky over the years to have the time/space to amass my somewhat large collection.

Clogging the thread with more pics...Hope you enjoy:dopey:

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

Alright thats three more cases up. Hopefully you're all okay with seeing this many pics. I have only three display cases left to put up in loose mint. :D

dude, you don't have an idea of how alike our collections are. Our main difference seems to be that, if I don't like a certain colour combo or wheels, or the cars that are plain strange like the animals/insects/those, I'll sell them to finance more cars, and you seem to keep everything that crosses yout path.

But for everything else, it's like I'm watching pictures of my own collection in plastic trays... except for some cars, specially variations, that I had never seen before. That silver Vector is amazing, I didin't kow it existed, and I praised myself for having three wheel variations of that car.

Back