1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,483 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 318 51.0%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 128 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 91 14.6%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.0%

• Total voters
Some of you may remember that, about two months ago, Diabolic Wyvern (long absent from this thread, where are you man?) offered to give me some old, tattered Hot Wheels he had lying around. We conducted the whole thing by PM and, yeah, I know, long overdue but here they are.

First, the ones that he sent for playing around and restoration, including a trio of redlines. I have already asked a friend for a replacement front axle for the Nomad; the Majorette Thunderbird wil have an engine swap (it opens the hood), and I will restore the Supra and send it back to Wyvern.
IMG_4202.jpg

Then, these. First, the green redline is a very, VERY VERY RARE alternate colour of the Sir Rodney Roadster –common is yellow-, so I don’t care it is in somewhat bad shape, just getting your hands in one is enough. The other two are Majorettes, the Excalubir in great shape but missing it’s top (already looking for borrowing someone else’s to try to replicate it), and the Morgan, which is in almost new condition:
IMG_4203.jpg

In fact, I was missing the white top-interior variation, but not anymore. Here it is with its other sisters and a close Tomica cousin.
IMG_4205.jpg

Thanks for these man, I’ll put them to good use, promise. And I’m already looking into colours for the Supra. A friend of mine just restored a Yatming 917 in Gulf livery, so that blue could very well be close to the tone you asked. I’ll keep you posted (:

Also, for the record, expect new pictures of a new, massive E-Bay shipment. I just picked it up.

If there's one thing I don't like looking at, it's 1/64 scale cars with a ton of chipped paint. :yuck:

Restore those puppies!

I'll revolt your stomach, then. These are the "projects" that came with the latest E-Bay batch -included are Wyvern's cars- that I'll be restoring or parting out eventually.

IMG_4201.jpg

Yeah, lots of them, and it will take lots of tiem, but I don't mind having lots of projects (:

I'd love to see those Beetles done up!

BTW, I've found the Hot Ones cars today at Toys'R'Us! But, only three of them left on the pegs. :grumpy:

Found the Hot Ones 3-Window '34 and the very hard to find MC5 wheel variation '63 Corvette.
IMG_2326.jpg

Also, I stopped by a hobby supply store in my old neighborhood that's been there since I can remember and found some older Matchbox cars.
IMG_2332.jpg

There were about ten other different models, like Ferrari's and such, and he had duplicates, but I bought these for now. I put the M1 on top of the wrong box. :dunce: :lol:
IMG_2334.jpg

M1's so money. And Cano's cars. Wow. 👍 That Supra looks old enough to be called Celica XX, where I'm from! And I have the same McDonalds stock car, I think my kid brother used to get those from the Happy Meals. I still got some somewhere. :lol:

And just how many cars have you restore to this date?

Three or four. Hahaha. I don't have that much time.

I'll be taking pictures of the most recently completed job soon, and will process the ones I have of the entire resto process. It will be a cool post.

M-Power, very cool boxed Matchbox cars, they were a very good buy. You should go back for more. Also, nice 34 Ford. That's the only one I really like of the new Hot Ones. Ok I like the series as a whole, but I don't really see the point in getting them as I already have the originals in several versions... but if they fall, what the hey.

A6m5, the McDonalds car will give it's life in lieu of its wheels, haha.

M-Power, very cool boxed Matchbox cars, they were a very good buy. You should go back for more.

Say no more! Bought another five and I plan on going back for a few more. :D

IMG_2338.jpg

The Testarossa's definitely my favorite.
IMG_2340.jpg

I'd be getting those Matchboxes... to repaint. Style doesn't fit my semi-minimalistic taste.

No you don't. If all you want to do is repaint them, then grab ones that are in used, tattered condition. These are still in their boxes, mint. I know, they are tacky, but it would be foolish to destroy an old original car like that just because you don't like it. Simply pass on it.

No you don't. If all you want to do is repaint them, then grab ones that are in used, tattered condition. These are still in their boxes, mint. I know, they are tacky, but it would be foolish to destroy an old original car like that just because you don't like it. Simply pass on it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Those colours are incredibly goofy :dopey:

Yeah, I'm not too sure about the Countach, but the others aren't bad at all imo.

Dude, the one on the far end, it says 'group c racer' on the bottom, no? Or does it just say 'Sauber Racer' again? It's a Sauber SHS C6. I've got one too, but in white and it got beat on a lot when I was a little kid. Still rolls straight though.

Edit: Not my auction, but it's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-MATCHBOX-SE1...63521?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item563d17e4c1

I actually have the same exact Sauber Racer that I bought, but also beat up from when I was a kid. :dopey:

I think the one you posted is from the 80's, while mine is from the 90's. Awesome that you still have it. 👍

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Not really so, because, for example, people buy a brand new car off Wal Mart, then shred it to pieces to customize. It ain't broke, but it also aint an original car that has survived, boxed, for 20+ years in mint shape. You just have to appreciate the colector value something like that has.

There were about ten other different models, like Ferrari's and such, and he had duplicates, but I bought these for now. I put the M1 on top of the wrong box. :dunce: :lol:
IMG_2334.jpg

I NEED that Merc.

@Cano--Again, glad to hear the package arrived. I think I mentioned this before and so did you, but indeed that Green Sir Rodney Roadster is one of the rarest mainline cars ever released. An original display quality one, if it exists, would run 150-200. Before the advent of eBay and TTP, it was closer to 400. I knew you were the guy to have it next as I've just enjoyed looking at it on my shelf for years. IF, big if, I have time after supper and before my club racing starts, I'll post a couple pics up.

Last edited:
Didn't see much at Toys R Us today.. so I just grabbed the 2 other colours for Yur So Fast. Last night, I saw 2 old Hot Wheels at work. Why this is special is because we never carry ANY Hot Wheels....so it was highly unlikely that it was ours and a colleague and I agreed it must have been someone who brought it in for some unknow reason and put it on our shelves :lol:. Either way, I nabbed it after work... It's those 2 funky looking cars on the top of the photo:

hw4kp.jpg

@Cano--Again, glad to hear the package arrived. I think I mentioned this before and so did you, but indeed that Green Sir Rodney Roadster is one of the rarest mainline cars ever released. An original display quality one, if it exists, would run 150-200. Before the advent of eBay and TTP, it was closer to 400. I knew you were the guy to have it next as I've just enjoyed looking at it on my shelf for years. IF, big if, I have time after supper and before my club racing starts, I'll post a couple pics up.

Yeah, I know. A friend of mine has a mint one, and indeed it ran him almost 200 bucks. Many thanks for that one.

And keep an eye on this thread, as I am RIGHT NOW opening the Supra.

A few years ago I started hunting down the original Matchbox seris, the Lesney 1-75 series from the 1950s. Got them all now, though not all in vgc.
2779865700103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Have lots of other more modern stuff too.

I find 1:43 scale is too expensive for what you get, so only buy special ones, such as cars I own/owned or find irresistible
Matra Murena
2546723920103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

But I find 1:18 are better value for money – and the detail can be fanatstic
2480284850103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

Dino
2830388680103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

XKSS
2375195980103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

I collect models of cars I've owned in any scale

I'm particularly collecting 1:18 models of cars that I've owned – the GT-R is intended next year!
2910485240103429640S600x600Q85.jpg

But a Matchbox can be nice too

Thanks for making that post. When I first came in here I was wondering if anybody had that Brooke Bond Tea Van - the little red one - that was my first set of wheels as a toddler.
I just love looking at that Talbot -Matra Murena. Reminds me so much of the Pontiac Fiero I once owned. But, Speedy K, wow - the cars you`ve owned!

Here's the Karmann Ghia at about 85%. I still need to shorten the axles so the wheels fit better and paint the underside.

DSCN2184-1.jpg

DSCN2191-1.jpg

That`s such a great job of modding that Karmann Ghia, R1600Turbo!
Here`s a few pics of mine - now I must try to mod it, and shoot again.

100_2272-2.jpg

100_2272-1.jpg

100_2276-2.gif

I like what you did here, too:

Here's another custom. Before/After pics. Currently about 80% finished.

dscn2179dj.jpg

dscn2210f.jpg

Here`s some shots of a VW-Porsche 914 by Matchbox:

914-1.jpg

100_2293-1.jpg

100_2296-1.jpg

And finally - some Gran Turismo cars. . .

100_2447-2.jpg

100_2450-1.jpg

100_2458-1.jpg

100_2470-1.jpg

Cano - I looked over your photo thread - awesome work, man, almost like an armchair travelouge of Mexico! You really have an eye for detail.

On Topic - I can never seem to keep the cars in their packages - Some of you guys have such huge collections - Greycap, Racecar, dennisch, Rotary Junkie, GM (that purple Europa!), ImvincibleM5, Aos-, homeforsummer, nismo01, Eliminator, Jetboy, Syntax error (love that espana bus!) Apokcalypse - those Sikus`!Cougar23 . . . and so many others, great work, especially to take the time to display your collections and spread the word.

May the `thrill of the find`come your way.

H.

Cano - I looked over your photo thread - awesome work, man, almost like an armchair travelouge of Mexico! You really have an eye for detail.

H.

Many thanks bud, I promise I'll update it soon. As soon as I can find time to postpro some more pics. In the meanwhile, I see you read the entire thread, that's patience! Feel free to participate, and show us what you got.

In news, I made some wheel swaps yerterday and opened a Brasilia, I'm gonna turn it into a real race car with V6 power.

I was searching through the attic this morning, when I noticed a huge box. I opened it, and saw tons of bags full of Matchbox's, and Hot Wheels'. There are probably about 600+ in there. I'll post some pictures of interesting cars I found.

1986 Dodge Daytona Z

IMG_1107.jpg

Camaro IROC-Z

IMG_1110.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1111.jpg

Ford RS2000 Group B (Definitely need another one. This for restoration, and the other for the nice Group B Paint Job.)

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

1962 Corvette

IMG_1114.jpg

Pontiac Fiero

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

Jaguar XJ220

IMG_1118.jpg

Porsche 959

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Shelby Cobra (Great condition)

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

Last edited:
I was searching through the attic this morning, when I noticed a huge box. I opened it, and saw tons of bags full of Matchbox's, and Hot Wheels'. There are probably about 600+ in there.

NO. WAY.

PICS!!! PRICE!!! SHIPPING COSTS!!!

Im serious... if you want, of course. At least pics, got dammit, haha

Back