200pt A-spec races

• Thread starter route_66
  • 1,675 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an awful time tring to beat the opel manufacturer races. The Infineon Raceway event was a killer. I'm not sure how many times I tried before I finally won, but it was a bunch. Now I'm 93.7% done (mission hall is all that's left). So i'm going back to some ot the more challanging races. Maybe I'll try the opel races again tonight.

Just had a great 200pt race. Stock Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex '83 on SM tyres that it came with from Historic dealership, 6.2miles on the clock.
Took it to Japanese 80's Festival and raced at El Capitan.
Opponents were Toyota Celica 2000GT-Four (ST165) '86, Nissan Skyline HT 2000 Turbo RS '83, Nissan Silvia K's (S13) '88, Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex '83 and Honda City Turbo II '83.
Requires 3 clean laps with no "offs" or collisions but was tremendous fun.

💡 Any chance of updating your 1st post to contain all the 200pt races that people have posted so we don't have to read through 17 pages to find them all? 👍

With my latest endeavor and noticing your recent post in yours. I looked and you do not have the Suzuka 1000KM listed. As you'll notice in my thread the Wedsport at Suzuka was a winner. 200pts

I'm having some real trouble winning some 200 A-spec point races in the Gran Turismo All Stars championship in the Extreme Hall. The grids vary a heck of a lot! They are either full of LM Edition cars with a random Pescarolo for me to fight off for about 180points (hard tyres/R2), if I add some ballast it makes my life rather more difficult to win races, or the grids come loaded with Group C machines and the Ford GT LM Edition Spec-II can keep up ahead on some tracks but on say Gran Valley Speedway Reverse I came second to a R92C by over 30seconds. I thought I’d have a go with the Mazda RX8 LM Concept Race Car which is faster, yields 200 A-spec points with a Group C line up but is still not easy racing, eg Test Course! So um, are there any secrets I should know of?

The Legend of the Sliver Arrow race at Nurburgring is rather tricky too. I’ve won it for 150 A-Spec points without a Mercedes McLaren SLR. I presume that to win this race you have to hold the SLR behind you for the majority of the race? I nearly won but on the final corner before the long straight (I’m not too good with the names for corners), I ran wide and he snuck up through the inside and sped away for a 4 second victory. I’m telling you these 200 A-spec point races aren’t easy! Some good tips would do me good!

ALPHA
I’m telling you these 200 A-spec point races aren’t easy! Some good tips would do me good!

Wouldn't be any point to them if they were easy would it!?! There are certain races like the Legends of Silver Arrow that are extremly difficult to get 200pts on. IIRC the best thing to do is use the AMG Merc 190E Evo1 road car, as can be bought from the dealer (not the racing car - that gets 2pts against an SLR), and start with the SLR in 5th. I personally would give the SLR a nudge into a gravel trap on my way past if I could :sly: but you might prefer cleaner racing.

Some others are proving really difficult. Beginner MR: New York Reverse. My MGF and 80-something MR2 GT-2000 SC (or whatever) are the only cars that can get 200pts -but they get eaten alive by NSXs.

Equally - japanese 70's cup. You get a really underpowered Nissan Bluebird 1800SS - either it gets about 130-140, or it gets 200pts, but the KPCG Skylines, in particular the '73 one, disappear at a phenomenal rate (7secs a lap at Autumn Ring? Er - wtf?). For shame even NOS can't help me in either situation!! Help needed please!

With the Gran Turismo all stars i used the NISSAN GT-R Concept LM Race Car '02. With dirty oil and RH tyres it can get 200 points, even with a stage 3 turbo. On the test course you have to quailfy to even have a chance of winning, enter the championship and skip races. When you come out of the pits pull across in front of the car that is coming down the straight so it hits you, then draft it around to quailfy at or near the front. Then at the start us nos to stay with the leader, saving enough so near the end after hang back a bit in the draft nail it then as you go by use the remaining nos to win. With that car I won some races like grand valley without the stage 3 and with RM front and had 200 points. In the championship I was up against the nissan r92 and mazda 787.

ED209
With the Gran Turismo all stars i used the NISSAN GT-R Concept LM Race Car '02. With dirty oil and RH tyres it can get 200 points, even with a stage 3 turbo. On the test course you have to quailfy to even have a chance of winning, enter the championship and skip races. When you come out of the pits pull across in front of the car that is coming down the straight so it hits you, then draft it around to quailfy at or near the front. Then at the start us nos to stay with the leader, saving enough so near the end after hang back a bit in the draft nail it then as you go by use the remaining nos to win. With that car I won some races like grand valley without the stage 3 and with RM front and had 200 points. In the championship I was up against the nissan r92 and mazda 787.

If you are just after 200 A-spec points, you can enter the races individually, you don't just have to do the championship. This makes it easier, i.e. not having to skip races, and being able to chose different cars for different tracks. At least - I've never noticed it not give you the A-spec points for doing the race separately.

ALPHA
I'm having some real trouble winning some 200 A-spec point races in the Gran Turismo All Stars championship in the Extreme Hall. The grids vary a heck of a lot! They are either full of LM Edition cars with a random Pescarolo for me to fight off for about 180points (hard tyres/R2), if I add some ballast it makes my life rather more difficult to win races, or the grids come loaded with Group C machines and the Ford GT LM Edition Spec-II can keep up ahead on some tracks but on say Gran Valley Speedway Reverse I came second to a R92C by over 30seconds. I thought I’d have a go with the Mazda RX8 LM Concept Race Car which is faster, yields 200 A-spec points with a Group C line up but is still not easy racing, eg Test Course! So um, are there any secrets I should know of?

Well, believe it or not I do have a secret for you on that race. I have a bunch of 200p races that I haven't posted yet and GT All Stars is one of them.

The secret you ask?

The Chapparl 2J :D

I'll be damned if I'm capable enough to keep that thing on Nurburgring though...
And I do mean ON :(

Just out of curiosity, what car are you using?

RenesisEvo
Some others are proving really difficult. Beginner MR: New York Reverse. My MGF and 80-something MR2 GT-2000 SC (or whatever) are the only cars that can get 200pts -but they get eaten alive by NSXs.

Equally - japanese 70's cup. You get a really underpowered Nissan Bluebird 1800SS - either it gets about 130-140, or it gets 200pts, but the KPCG Skylines, in particular the '73 one, disappear at a phenomenal rate (7secs a lap at Autumn Ring? Er - wtf?). For shame even NOS can't help me in either situation!! Help needed please!

I entered the MGF as the 200p car for MR. Ehh... no, I failed on New York and Fuji (added mods which reduced the win to 95p). So if you got 200p for the other tracks I'd like to hear 'em.

Need to redo that one. I was thinking the lowest powered Elise or maybe even the Europa?

Japan 70s.

Honda Life Step Van with an NA3 and umm... ummm..ummm..

uhhh... Nitrous.

Nope, not proud :guilty:

jdw
I entered the MGF as the 200p car for MR. Ehh... no, I failed on New York and Fuji (added mods which reduced the win to 95p). So if you got 200p for the other tracks I'd like to hear 'em.

Need to redo that one. I was thinking the lowest powered Elise or maybe even the Europa?

Japan 70s.

Honda Life Step Van with an NA3 and umm... ummm..ummm..

uhhh... Nitrous.

Nope, not proud :guilty:

The MGF - I succeeded in getting 200pts for every other circuit - so yes, includes Fuji... I will point out I used NOS, but it did manage to win. I've thought about an Elise and the Europa too - both stock have a better power-weight ratio than the MGF. The only MR worse is the Daihatsu Midget II - and I can't see that winning even fully tuned!

Well I feel no shame in NOS in the Step Life Van - I shall give it a try. That thing does respectable 'Ring times it has to be said (for 30bhp that is)

I know there are quite a few El Capitan Endurance entries, but the Lotus Elise Type 72 (maxed out, S2, some ballast) was a pretty easy 200 (won by over 2 laps).

Route-66's record is safe, but I finally hit 100,000 A-Spec points today. I am done. I can now again race without adding ballast, changing tires, or looking for the right line-up.

Gentry Coach
Route-66's record is safe, but I finally hit 100,000 A-Spec points today. I am done. I can now again race without adding ballast, changing tires, or looking for the right line-up.

Congratulations on becoming the 2nd entry in the 100K club!!! :cheers:

Just hit 70 so I have a loooooonnnnnggg way to go.

jdw
Congratulations on becoming the 2nd entry in the 100K club!!! :cheers:

Just hit 70 so I have a loooooonnnnnggg way to go.

I don't know if I'm the second or not, there may be others. But, it's about all I've been doing for a couple of months (and I'm a teacher, so I've been on summer break for over a week now- GT pretty much all day). All of the posts here really helped.

Gentry Coach

Nice job my friend 👍
comes as a relief as well as an achievement doesn't it? "Just need to add N1's and 200 ballast.....oh wait I can do whatever I want again....wooooo"

Congrats. 👍

Thanks Route-66. You helped out a lot by giving motivation and listing races/cars you had used. And yes, it is a relief. My wife asked what I was going to do now, and I told just get in any car, go to any race and not worry! I will say, and I'm sure you are the same, I can now drive on Normal and Sport tires like an animal.

Cosmic,
Thanks to you also and unfortunately I don't have the technology to post my screen. If I had said I beat Route-66's total, then I definitely would have to prove it, but you'll just have to take my word for the 100,000. :)

I'm just about to creep past the 20,000 mark :scared:

I've done most of Beginner Hall (need a car for the Roadster series); half of Professional, plus bits of Japanese, Euro and some manufacturer races.

I gave Micra Brothers a go last night - geez! 2 of the 3 were easy enough for 200 in my Nissan Pao - I even got away with a Stage2 turbo/S2 tyres. But I cannot for the life of me win the Grand Valley Short Reverse race... there's just so few places to pass; not to mention the rolling start putting you 4secs behind at the start. I gave it one go with 100bhp Pao on S2's and 90 ballast - 148pts. I try again with N3's, 200 ballast and 93bhp - 151pts!! That was worth it... and I didnt win, because the car was now soo much worse, just for 3pts extra. :ouch:

Thankfully, when you reset the PS2, the line-up for Silver Arrow is always SLR in 5th, so I drove the nuts off my 190 to win at Opera. I'm rather guilty of cutting out the chicane at Fuji :guilty: , but that SLR is just soo much quicker down the straights at that track. After blocking for a lap he slipped past and dissappeared.

Anyway... hopefully I can join the 100k club sometime in the future... cheers for all the help, and congrats to Gentry for reaching the grand total 👍

Gentry Coach
Cosmic,
Thanks to you also and unfortunately I don't have the technology to post my screen. If I had said I beat Route-66's total, then I definitely would have to prove it, but you'll just have to take my word for the 100,000. :)
Ok, I belive you ;) :)
I'm happy if I have 75,000 a-spec at 100% :dopey:
Great achivements guys! 👍

RenesisEvo
I'm just about to creep past the 20,000 mark :scared:

I've done most of Beginner Hall (need a car for the Roadster series); half of Professional, plus bits of Japanese, Euro and some manufacturer races.

I managed 180p per race in a stock Elise 72 without too much problem. Oh, and I ended up using it for MR after all. A least, it managed 200p stock w/R1s for 3/5 races. :indiff:

An MR2 Spyder should work if you prefer that.

RenesisEvo
Thankfully, when you reset the PS2, the line-up for Silver Arrow is always SLR in 5th, s

One thing to note...

FROM console reset, lineups will repeat for a given car in a given race. The first lineup should be the same for a given race regardless of the car, but further lineups may change depending on the car you're in.

Lineups have a tendency to "split" when you cross some threshold in car performance going from car A to B. This happens in some races more than others (usually the lesser class races). But it works so that, for at least 75% of the races I can test a dozen cars (that a fairly close in performance) against the 3-5 lineups.

Makes for a more systematic approach of finding points.

Yup the console reset line-ups are a mixed curse and blessing - sometimes you get a line-up you don't want!

Now - Seoul, New York, Grand Vallley Short Reverse - they all have 1 thing in common. Extremely lengthy flat-out sections with (especially in the Grand Valley case) few overtaking oppurtunities. When 200pt racing, you either have a) a light car with much less power b) a car with same/more power but a lot heavier than the AI c) a moderately powered, moderate-weight car with very un-grippy tyres.

Case a) - certain cars can make a killing in the corners (my Elise 111R carved 3secs out of a Subaru on New York Reverse through the complex section) but they lack the power to keep up on the straights. So either the cars dissappear at a terrifying rate, or if by some miracle you get in the lead, they batter your rear bumper until you spin out.

Case b) the car has the power for a decent top-speed. But the weight means it takes forever to attain it, and combined with bad cornering, the heavyweight approach seems to have no chance at all, as the AI run rings around you.

Case c) The car might (or not) keep up, but when it comes to cornering, the lack of grip results in lurid slides, gravel-trap surfing and barrier-bashing. I probably don't have the skills of people like route_66, but there has to be a way of winning with resorting to naff tyres. Fair enuff, Midget/Subaru 360 racing is fine on N1s, since you never really exceed the limits of the tyres, but anything else :scared:

So - does anyone have any good suggestions for the high-speed tracks, where you need a fast car in acceleration and top-speed terms, but you can have that, or 200pts, not both...

RenesisEvo
Yup the console reset line-ups are a mixed curse and blessing - sometimes you get a line-up you don't want!

Now - Seoul, New York, Grand Vallley Short Reverse - they all have 1 thing in common. Extremely lengthy flat-out sections with (especially in the Grand Valley case) few overtaking oppurtunities. When 200pt racing, you either have a) a light car with much less power b) a car with same/more power but a lot heavier than the AI c) a moderately powered, moderate-weight car with very un-grippy tyres.

Case a) - certain cars can make a killing in the corners (my Elise 111R carved 3secs out of a Subaru on New York Reverse through the complex section) but they lack the power to keep up on the straights. So either the cars dissappear at a terrifying rate, or if by some miracle you get in the lead, they batter your rear bumper until you spin out.

Case b) the car has the power for a decent top-speed. But the weight means it takes forever to attain it, and combined with bad cornering, the heavyweight approach seems to have no chance at all, as the AI run rings around you.

Case c) The car might (or not) keep up, but when it comes to cornering, the lack of grip results in lurid slides, gravel-trap surfing and barrier-bashing. I probably don't have the skills of people like route_66, but there has to be a way of winning with resorting to naff tyres. Fair enuff, Midget/Subaru 360 racing is fine on N1s, since you never really exceed the limits of the tyres, but anything else :scared:

So - does anyone have any good suggestions for the high-speed tracks, where you need a fast car in acceleration and top-speed terms, but you can have that, or 200pts, not both...

Custom Transmission helps a lot at high speed courses. New York's alright, like you said you can eat them through the complex (and the circle bit) and then....Block! They will try and ram you, but you can hold them off and at the end of the second straight, brake early on the inside line because the AI will miss it's braking point and smack into the wall - do this right and they'll lose another second - take a wider line and they'll smack you into the wall too.
Seoul and Fuji 90's/GT are harder, but there are slow speed corners where you can get past and then block!
Fuji 80's is probably the hardest, but since it's all high speed the Heavy car/high top speed plan works - it's not too hard to keep it on the track.
If you're going to try heavy cars, go for 4WD, the extra traction helps and on a high speed course the slower cornering isn't as important.

Finally, regarding tyres - Aside from New York, N tyres are great for high speed tracks - Fuji and Seoul have low speed corners where acceleration out to the straights is more important than speed through the corners, so having a faste car with worse tyres is a big help (go slow through the corners, then floor it and let the extra power help you out down the straights). Failing that, NOS (last resort) :yuck: .

I'm thinking that start order is totaly random. After 100 or so trys to get the three Type S to show up in the Rx8 cup makes me think that each cup has a some a list of rules and a list of cars that is available to race in that cup. The list of cars in the RX-8 cup are the three RX-8 available at the dealership, the concept and LM edition. The rule for this cup is that at least one of each RX-8 available at the Mazda dealership (RX-8, Type E and Type S) gets a place on the grid. (This could be wrong but I find that highly unlikely because it was true for every race I entered in this cup)

Each starting grid comes in two flavors:
1) Three cars from one type and one each from the two remaining types + your car.
2) Two cars from two types and one from the remaining type + your car.

The Rx-8 Type E gets 200pts if you get three Rx-8 Type S in a race.
N1 tires in the front, full extra weight and no oil change.

Favorite 200pt victory so far is beating a Skyline GT-R N1 at Tsukuba wet with my old '49 Beetle aka Herbie the Lovebug :)

Just passed 40.000 Aspec points!

RenesisEvo

Only front tires affect A-spec points so you are free to use a different compound in the rear. I'm usually faster with N2 or N3 in the rear, then N1 all around. The advantage is better starts, shorter braking distance and a more stable car that doesn't spin as easily if you get rear-ended. The disadvantage is that it corners like a dragster (not at all!) unless you do your best to get rid of the understeer. Here is my Lexus IS 200 to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Lexus IS 200 '98
Front tire - Eco (N1)
Rear tire - Road (N3)
Nitrous - 100
Racing brakes
Brake balance - Fr: 6 Re: 21
Racing suspension:
spring rate Fr: 9.3 Re: 9.3
ride height Fr: 98 Re: 150
damper bounce Fr: 7 Re: 3
damper rebound Fr: 7 Re: 3
camber Fr: 3.0 Re: 0.0
toe 0
stabiliser Fr: 7 Re: 2
Customisable transmission
Set the final to 4.000, now change autoset to something other then 8, press X, change it back to 8. Now you can set the final to 4.800 and get the values below. The reason for this is that the min-max gear ratio for each gear is based on your final drive when you change change the auto setting, I just happened to start from 4.000
Auto set: 8
Final: 4.800
1) 3.000
2) 1.914
3) 1.455
4) 1.181
5) 0.979
6) 0.822
Tripple clutch
Racing flywheel
Carbon propeller shaft
Driving aids - I think NFS: Underground is a better game then GT4 with driving aids on, but thats just me. Always zero.
Downforce - Fr:4 Re:0
Weight balance - weight:200 Fr/Re balance: 17

Still don't have a clue how to win the Twin Motegi race in the Altezza Race cup with it...
Also if you put N1's in the back it becomes a nice drift machine.

Thanks for the set-up I'll give it a try - I have to ask - does this get 200 at Altezza Racing? also - is it useful anywhere else?

40,000? That's twice me 👍

Here are a couple of good 200 pt races.

Suzuka endurance: Wedsport Celica stock horsepower, max downforce, default front height, 5mm higher in rear, racing super hards

El Capitan: Mazda Spirit R triple plate clutch, LSD, 360+ horses yielded 190 points, on medium sports tires. I think a slight hp reduction or sport hards would put it up to 200. It was an easy win, lapping the entire field, and the 2nd place Zonda on the 3rd from the last lap.

Dreamcar Championship: Test track 200 pts-Viper Concept LSD, 700 horses, sport mediums, custom tranny
El Capitan 200 pts-Viper Concept stock except for Custom tranny, LSD and R3 tires, could probably use stage 1 tuning, if needed

There was some earlier discussion about the GTWC. I have 200 pt'ed many by entering them individually with a particular car, and enter and exit until you get an all LMP AI lineup you want. Many were done with the Skyline Concept, Zonda race car, Corvette C5R, Tom's Castrol Supra, yet I still have a few races to go. Also many of the All Stars races and the other LMP races near the bottom of the list in the Extreme hall are a good LMP matchup with a LM. Tackling them individually you can retry again and again until you get the maximum tuning and skill at the particular track until you get the win. It will of course kill your win ratio, but if you're like me, I gave up on that a long time ago. I go for underdog races which often don't turn out well. I'm not into restarting the machine to keep a high win ratio.

JParker

Hmm well Im trying to keep 100% win ratio until my brain dissolves into mush from the impossibility of some of the races...

I did notice that going to the race screen in a championship (i.e, pressing "Next race") then abandoing doesnt affect your win ratio - next up is to check whether dropping out before actually starting the race itself affects the win ratio. I havent been doing much GT driving of late since Im preparing for the real thing.

However... my list of problem races is growin quickly.

Beginner MR Challenge: NY Reverse
Beginner Roadster: all
Micra Brothers: Grand Valley Short Reverse
Evolution Meeting: all (can't get a 200pt machine thats not a snail! and an Evo1 on N3 tyres just doesn't steer at all).
Japanese. 70's Challenge (yet to try the Step Life Van, but everything else is dire)
Japanese 90's (I can't remember whether I managed it in the end!!)

Time I started writing stuff down methinks. And thats only at 40%... :ill:

RenesisEvo

Ahh... but ALL the lineups are completely repeatable starting from console reset.

So, you just keep going until you find the one you do want. This is only a problem for you because you're still trying to hold onto your win pct, yes? Must let go... :dopey:

Well, there's an extra trick to that too. For a championship where you're trying to fill out individual races... you can, say...

1) Take car A, try out the first 5 lineups to find the right one. Write down points.
2) When you find it, practice to see if you can win.
3) Reset console.
4) Say it's lineup 3. Enter championship twice and "Abandon" it (since this doesn't affect your win/loss).
5) Go to the race and you will have lineup #3.

I've also used this trick for a different reason. Say, I purposely found a lineup where I'm getting points because of a dangerous car. If that car was in the pole, I'd lose but this lineup happens to have that car buried in 5th. In the championship, even if I don't qualify the car lineup can get reset going into race #2 and chances are that dangerous car has moved up the lineup. To prevent this, I have to race each one individually.

Point is, with these two tricks I can
a) Keep the SAME lineup even though I'm doing individual races
b) Make sure that dangerous car stays buried :D

EDIT: Almost forgot...

Japan 90s - Toyota MR2 Spyder won stock 3/5. A slightly modified Miata S-special '95 won them all.

Roadster - Elise 72. 180p stock. Put on S1s + 55kg ballast and you're at 200p.

Beginner MR NY - 72 again. But umm... well, I had use nitrous :(

Please do write them down. If you'd like to take a peak at my A-Spec FAQ in Beta, you're welcome to. Perhaps some of the races you come up with could be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back