2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
Watched the broadcast and I only saw the end, but it looks like the sky opened up at the worse time possible. Waiting to see the video of the actual incident.

Edit: Just saw it and boy, that was hard to watch. Just as I thought, the sky just opened on the final lap. Not sure how you can blame IMSA for the sky deciding to open back up on the last lap and making the front stretch wet. They had a local yellow out letting everyone know, its not like they did nothing.

Last edited:
Watched the broadcast and I only saw the end, but it looks like the sky opened up at the worse time possible. Waiting to see the video of the actual incident.
They didn't catch the accident, only the aftermath. In short...it was just the standard sudden down pour "every man for himself" type of thing.

Edit: Just saw it and boy, that was hard to watch. Just as I thought, the sky just opened on the final lap. Not sure how you can blame IMSA for the sky deciding to open back up on the last lap and making the front stretch wet. They had a local yellow out letting everyone know, its not like they did nothing.
The local yellow was only waving 15' from the wreck.There were no yellow flags waving at any point before S/F.

The local yellow was only waving 15' from the wreck.There were no yellow flags waving at any point before S/F.

They had a local yellow flag for that 58 well before the final lap and it was in Turn 1.

Maybe TRG can get an actual Aston GT3 with the actual stock AMR suspension now? -_- (mean this in jest...but seriously no Aston has ever had such wobble, where on Earth do TRG find their parts? Vietnam? Anyway... :S )

Seriously though, I do hope that he's alright. That was one heck of a hit. :nervous: We seriously need to think of skirting on safety vehicles that weigh a lot and that are raised quite a bit. I don't know if it'd help at all...but these accidents always give me the heebeegeebees. :scared:

Last edited:
That's pretty much what I saw during the broadcast so it looks like nobody really has footage of the whole thing (Kinda annoying, I wanted to see what the hell happened with the other cars).

Anyhow, that Yellow flag was there the entire time that 58 was sitting there in front of the opening In turn one so I don't see the issue.

I just went back and looked at the race replay again and saw a stationary yellow flag at the marshall's post right before the S/F line.

From the IMSA rules. http://www.imsa.com/imsa101/flags

YELLOW: When held stationary at any of the flag stations around the track, it means there is danger and to slow down and keep your track position in that part of the track due to an incident in the area. A waving yellow also signifies extreme danger and/or course workers on the course.

Yellow should have been waving and the drivers involved should report to the NASCAR hauler with their checkbooks and a really good explanation.

I just went back and looked at the race replay again and saw a stationary yellow flag at the marshall's post right before the S/F line.

From the IMSA rules. http://www.imsa.com/imsa101/flags

YELLOW: When held stationary at any of the flag stations around the track, it means there is danger and to slow down and keep your track position in that part of the track due to an incident in the area. A waving yellow also signifies extreme danger and/or course workers on the course.

Yellow should have been waving and the drivers involved should report to the NASCAR hauler with their checkbooks and a really good explanation.

And when you've come around onto a part of the track that was dry a lap before, you can't do 🤬

Bottom line should be a FCY or a double waved yellow.

Wow... that was a brutal incident. Sad that beautiful blue/black #007 Aston Martin took that ugly crash. My goodness- that was a terrible hit that AM took with that safety truck.

As I was watching most of the first half of the race, I started to feel a bit squeamish once I saw those very dark clouds in the distance. I was sure Mother Nature was going to have her say on this day. I didn't see much of the 2nd Half of the race, unfortunately.

Congratulations to all winners in all classes.

And when you've come around onto a part of the track that was dry a lap before, you can't do 🤬

Bottom line should be a FCY or a double waved yellow.

At the finish? Pretty sure they have spotters that could've warned them since they had a good view of the front stretch, Which on that safe lap before (and the final laps before that, all dry) had Local Yellows waving.

They need to be sanctioned by the FIA, who would never allow a marshal vehicle to be that close to the track and the driver that did hit the vehicle would get severe reprimands.

Dunno, the Jules Bianchi crash comes to mind. Those regs have changed though.

Another thing to keep in mind since IMSA has no traveling safety team,the guys in the Chevy truck were most likely local firefighters. A lack of experience about when to enter the track has to be a factor.

Dunno, the Jules Bianchi crash comes to mind. Those regs have changed though.

Ironically enough, another incident in the rain.

Seriously...safety first IMSA ya dumb ****s. :ouch:

And somehow, that's dumber then allowing a restart while a damn safety vehicle is in the middle of the track? I get it, your precious Aston Martin got wrecked but you can't blame this on IMSA. They had a Local Yellow for the final 15 minutes of the race. Surely, those teams were more then aware that it was there for a long damn time. Hell even after the checkered flag, local yellow was still out. There is no way anyone should've been going that fast with conditions like that, those spotters should've kept on top of that.

And somehow, that's dumber then allowing a restart while a damn safety vehicle is in the middle of the track? I get it, your precious Aston Martin got wrecked but you can't blame this on IMSA. They had a Local Yellow for the final 15 minutes of the race. Surely, those teams were more then aware that it was there for a long damn time. Hell even after the checkered flag, local yellow was still out. There is no way anyone should've been going that fast with conditions like that, those spotters should've kept on top of that.
It wasn't just 1 car...2 other cars ended up in that mess as well! It could have ended even worse! IMSA is STUPID for ALLOWING A SAFTEY VEHICLE ON THE TRACK. If it weren't for that stupid pickup truck it would have just been a normal "Batten down the hatches it's a sudden downpour!", instead of a car hitting a 7,000 pound brick. What if one of the PC or P cars hit that thing? At least with the Aston there's a V12 in the way... Where is the blasted is the FIA when you need them?

It was the final 2 laps,not 15 minutes.

It wasn't just 1 car...2 other cars ended up in that mess as well! It could have ended even worse! IMSA is STUPID for ALLOWING A SAFTEY VEHICLE ON THE TRACK. If it weren't for that stupid pickup truck it would have just been a normal "Batten down the hatches it's a sudden downpour!", instead of a car hitting a 7,000 pound brick. What if one of the PC or P cars hit that thing? At least with the Aston there's a V12 in the way... Where is the blasted is the FIA when you need them?
You mean the same FIA that wants to destroy the P2 class and let cars race on a slick COTA for far longer than they should have?

You mean the same FIA that wants to destroy the P2 class and let cars race on a slick COTA for far longer than they should have?
I'm talking about the safety protocols...which are VASTLY SUPERIOR to IMSA. The FIA have the perfect blueprint for safety and rules/regulations. Which IMSA continues to ignore it seems.

And besides, while they've screwed up LMP2...they've made LMP1, GTE, GT3 and GT4 the greatest sportscar classes since the ones in the 80's/90's and before that.

It was the final 2 laps,not 15 minutes.

It was there for longer then 2 laps. Hell, it was there about a lap or two after Jordan (or was it Ricky?) had to serve a penalty for hitting the 63 (the one that "gives no room" yet got divebombed from way back).

I didn't say it was ONLY the Aston. As for allowing a safety vehicle on track, it was at a part of the track where it could easily go back off AND It was a Local Yellow, it wasn't as if it was on the racing line (you know, like last week at Mosport?). It was there for while, not just at That moment. Frankly, why the hell didn't those drivers slow down knowing there was that Truck was there for more then two laps? Why didn't their spotters rely that info? They have the TV feed so its not as if they couldn't see it.

Last edited:
It was there for longer then 2 laps. Hell, it was there about a lap or two after Jordan (or was it Ricky?) had to serve a penalty for hitting the 63 (the one that "gives no room" yet got divebombed from way back).
IMSA timing and scoring says the 58 car was directly ahead of the 44 car on lap 54 then the scoring stopped on the 58.The 44 car finished the race on lap 56.

I'm talking about the safety protocols...which are VASTLY SUPERIOR to IMSA. The FIA have the perfect blueprint for safety and rules/regulations. Which IMSA continues to ignore it seems.
And yet it still allowed cars to race on an unsafe track (stoppage procedures ARE A PART OF SAFETY PROTOCOL), and calling its regulations the "perfect blueprint for safety" is completely laughable given the multitude of safety incidents that occurred during FIA sanctioned events recently (ignoring Simonsen's death because that is iffy on who is truly at fault). Stop acting like the FIA is the end all, be all for safety. It isn't.

I don't know that any rules IMSA made would have prevented some idiot from doing what idiots do. I would like to see an Indy style safety crew that travels with the series though.

And yet it still allowed cars to race on an unsafe track (stoppage procedures ARE A PART OF SAFETY PROTOCOL), and calling its regulations the "perfect blueprint for safety" is completely laughable given the multitude of safety incidents that occurred during FIA sanctioned events recently (ignoring Simonsen's death because that is iffy on who is truly at fault). Stop acting like the FIA is the end all, be all for safety. It isn't.
The FIA has years of expierence. I'm talking about the protocols of flags, safety TEAM wise the best is in Indycar with the Holmatro boys, they have saved lives. But flag wise the FIA is far superior. A code 60 or virtual safety car could have kept the carnage to a minimum and have immediately slowed everyone down. Also the FIA wouldn't have let a safety vehicle enter a corner like that (a narrower corner and the first turn of the track off of a fast straight when there are battles going on). Also, do not drag 2013 Le Mans into this...the ACO made a terrible decision with that guard rail and I'm still thrown off by that tragic and extremely saddening event.

I don't know that any rules IMSA made would have prevented some idiot from doing what idiots do. I would like to see an Indy style safety crew that travels with the series though.
The Grand Am guys now in charge axed the ALMS travelling safety team...

Even still a standing yellow is fairly pathetic, its a street track, and if the driver in which the marsals were attending needed medical assistance then there shouldn't have been any green flag sections on circuit,

Back