2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
In sports here in the States, "USC" is usually reserved for the University of Southern California, or sometimes even the University of South Carolina. I even use "USCal" to mean the U. of Southern California. USCR is fairly fine with me even if it doesn't roll off the tongue very well. Again... it isn't a name like "Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford" or some other crazy long named series or event.

Well there could be worse, could've been the "Microsoft Windows 10 United Sports Car Championship" :lol:

If you listen to radio le mans, they are quite fond of calling it TUSC, "TUSK"

That's what I was actually doing for a bit (after all, it does kinda form a word). I'll likely do the same with "Wusk", though I already get the feeling someone will mistake for a highly radioactive Wasp :lol:

IMSAweathertech_Logo-site.png

The official name is now the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship. Let me work with that.

Dropping the "United" helps and I am sure we can ignore the IMSA part. WSC gets too confusing with other sports and some colleges.

WTSC? Pronounce it Witsk?

Perhaps McLaren is looking at a factory effort?
No "factory" teams are allowed in GTD like GTLM but they can have a factory driver. Imsa has to be very careful moving forward with the customer vs factory efforts in GTD or it will quickly get overrun by big budget teams and the privateers will be driven out. The Conti GS series is a perfect case study in what happens when a factory team (Stevenson) and their 7.0L Corvettamaro's showed up and were quickly followed by the factory Multimatic Fords and they have killed the class in a year. Car counts are down 50% in a year.

Now if McLaren were to build a GTLM/GTE car...💡

If I recall, there is no series that allows factory run GT3 cars period.

Dr.Ullrich just happened to be in the neighborhood at the Blancpain Spa 24 hr race. He was driving past with a van full of his drivers when in the distance they heard the sound of V10's and they just happened to have their helmets and headsets with them.;)

It's actually the opposite, as long as they are in the proper class, a factory team can race in pretty much any series from Blancpain Sprint/Endurance Series to PWC. It's a big reason why the cost of running a GT3 car has increased so much.

Dr.Ullrich just happened to be in the neighborhood at the Blancpain Spa 24 hr race. He was driving past with a van full of his drivers when in the distance they heard the sound of V10's and they just happened to have their helmets and headsets with them.;)

You know what I mean :lol:

Like they don't have the sort've setup Corvette Racing or AMR has where only they have those particular cars the first year of racing (for instance, only Corvette Racing had the C7.R while no one else did) and then only the season after are customer teams allowed to have them. That's what I mean.

Also, I posted this earlier but completely forgot to post it here:

Only the first 27 seconds are worth watching as the rest is the annoying reciting of old quotes (like that makes you cool or something), but its worth it. I remember there being talk about Ford Ecoboost potentially being in a LMP2 car but this is the first time actually seeing that happen. Even more interesting is that its wearing the TUSCC logos as if its meant to compete in a later race

You know what I mean :lol:

Like they don't have the sort've setup Corvette Racing or AMR has where only they have those particular cars the first year of racing (for instance, only Corvette Racing had the C7.R while no one else did) and then only the season after are customer teams allowed to have them. That's what I mean.

Also, I posted this earlier but completely forgot to post it here:

Only the first 27 seconds are worth watching as the rest is the annoying reciting of old quotes (like that makes you cool or something), but its worth it. I remember there being talk about Ford Ecoboost potentially being in a LMP2 car but this is the first time actually seeing that happen. Even more interesting is that its wearing the TUSCC logos as if its meant to compete in a later race

Sadly that entire team fell apart...they probably would have done well.

No "factory" teams are allowed in GTD like GTLM but they can have a factory driver. Imsa has to be very careful moving forward with the customer vs factory efforts in GTD or it will quickly get overrun by big budget teams and the privateers will be driven out. The Conti GS series is a perfect case study in what happens when a factory team (Stevenson) and their 7.0L Corvettamaro's showed up and were quickly followed by the factory Multimatic Fords and they have killed the class in a year. Car counts are down 50% in a year.

Now if McLaren were to build a GTLM/GTE car...💡
Well, the Keating team were a semi factory (customer racing?) team till Dodge folded out ( still kinda are as they are the only racing Vipers anywhere I think) and still carried their logos at Lemans this year. Then there's TRG-AMR who have some kind of alliance with Aston Martin proper so who knows anymore.
Well, factory, and factory-affliated GT3 cars compete at the N24. Its part of how we were able to get some of the GT3 cars in GT6. Also, Cadillac was gonna run a full factory team there. Until they forgot to show up.

The newer Ford GT is actually growing on me. When I think of the Ford GT, the nostalgic type in me remembers the GT40 cars, among my all-time favorite cars and race cars. The 21st Century Ford GT to me reminds me of when Black Swan Racing used to race a Ford GT in the (then) American Le Mans Series. I'm just happy to see the Ford GT live on in this new form. The previous Ford GT is actually one of my favorite cars from the past decade. Never hated it. It was even a great car to use in a handful of games that have this car available.

Took me a second too!

I hope they have better luck this time with the M6.

And are Riley building this car or is it to be a BMW GT3 customer car?

Here's one from 2013 of the girls, and a buddy liking the view.

turner girls jimmy.jpg

Took me a second too!

I hope they have better luck this time with the M6.

And are Riley building this car or is it to be a BMW GT3 customer car?

Here's one from 2013 of the girls, and a buddy liking the view.

View attachment 440978
It's built by BMW, as it's their world wide GT3 contender. And an upgraded version will be in GTLM.

And isn't that the M3 from the last years of Grand-Am in the photo (took me a minute to notice the car in the photo :sly: )? That car was actually kinda good (compared to the old fatty M6... :ill: ).

911's get +20kg which puts them +10kg over where they were at before the series stuck them out front for a few races. The Vipers get another +15 kg but they are giving them back the 3mm on the air restrictor. Current weight for the Viper is 1430kg which is +125kg over the next closest GTD car.

Imsa vs PWC spec differences
Imsa GTD Viper- 1430kg/2x45mm restrictor FR tires 305/680-18
PWC GT3 Viper- 1300kg/2x39mm restrictor FR tires 315/680-18

These look like OLR series specs.:odd:

Yay! Another Texas team! Okay... maybe I and RACECAR are a little Texas-biased... but hey- nothing wrong with more competition. :)

On a more serious note, I think that Ford GT is going to be insane. I am not expecting it to be Viper (especially with Team Oreca) or Corvette dominant in the GT ranks, but it is going to be quite competitive. The biggest factor in sportscar racing is development and how quickly you can adapt and evolve. I can remember when Corvette Racing started out in the (then) ALMS back in 1999. This was back when the Corvette C5's were racing under the black and silver Goodwrench colors before moving on to those yellow colors. The Corvettes couldn't really keep pace with the Vipers and stuff back then in the GT ranks. Now, and since the Vipers had their dominance, it's been almost all Corvette with the exception of the Ferraris and Aston Martins. I just want to see how quickly the Ford GTs can adapt and stay competitive.

Back