2015 TUDOR United Sportscar Championship

• Thread starter MonGnoM
  • 3,449 comments
Am I the only one that just saw a quick flash of the M6 GT3?

Edit: Just noticed a Forza 6 sign ontop of the scoring pylon. Just thought that was...interesting.
They were advertising it, the new 911, & the R8 that will start participating next year. Actually, the Audi is already here.

There's also a ton of Forza 6 advertising everywhere.

As for the track limit debate, I asked about it briefly with a team driver. In his opinion, it's not the ideal racing line, however, there's no room for trying to stick to staying within the limits if no one else will unless you want to finish last.

It was an interesting race.

On the topic of track limits:

Continental tires.

Thats is all.

p.s. No, I dont need to be reminded about GTLM.

p.s.s. No, I'm not taking this post that seriously, lighten up.

p.s.s.s. Yes, I know I'm doing post script wrong.

Last edited:
Shame about the Lexus. I would love to see that car in action.

Is the RC-F that runs in SuperGT GT300 a test bed for the GT3 program?
It's the same full blown GT3 car lol. They've been having major issues with that car.

Glad we're getting some Lambo's, hopefully Mclaren bring something. Excited for the Merc' and full blown Aston the most though. :D

Sweet. Wonder if Lamborghini of North Carolina would be interested in that.

Edit: Whoops, guess they pretty much are after actually reading it :lol:

More BOP news, I think it is safe to scratch those factory Lexus cars from the GTD field in 2016. http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/...test-notebook-ferrari-488-gt3-in-trouble.html

Kinda knew once I read they were absent from the test. Yet another North American Lexus GT we won't see as promised.

I'm currently watching a replay on MotorsTV.... aren't ther track limit rules? These guys are constantly going wide.

EDIT: Just saw it was discussed before. My goodness....

I'm currently watching a replay on MotorsTV.... aren't ther track limit rules? These guys are constantly going wide.

EDIT: Just saw it was discussed before. My goodness....
It's an interesting take on track limits, and certainly a new approach on a modern circuit.

At first, I was like WTF?!?!? But after watching the full race, it wasn't that bad.

It certainly opened up room for some good wheel to wheel action.

Anyone know the motivation for the decision? Was it IMSA giving up on trying to enforce limits at a track where they were clearly going to be broken....or was it IMSA giving a mild finger to modern track design.

Any of these tracks that have track limit issues are all the same. They have massive run off areas, and consist of sharp, angular corners (which more closely resemble a street course, minus the walls). Drivers never seem to exceed the limits on sweepers, or when the track itself follows a natural path through the corner. It's only when you have these tight, angular, multii apex corners where the problem arrives. T1 at Portimao is a good example of this..if that was a smooth right hander instead of two angular right handers, there would be no issue with limits.

I think if designs went back to more flowing, sweeping style trwcks, we see less issues with the limits.

T1 at COTA is a great example of how the track profile simply needs to be changed to accommodate racing. There's no reason the track limit can't extend all the way to the edge of the pavement on driver's right through the exit. Who cares if the track becomes extremely wide there....everyone will stick to the line unless they need the space. You still have the safety and continence of a paved run-off, yet without having to mess around with penalties.

Personally, I can't stand tracks that are defined by painted lines. Same thing in drifting. If you want to confine the driver in a certain space, put up a wall, or some other obsticle. Painted lines just don't cut it, lead to controversy, and typically ruin good racing.

I would much rather see lots of passing attempts, successful or not, on a wide track, as opposed to a procession on a narrow track.

It was IMSA. They couldn't enforce track limits completely with the technology they had available so they told the drivers that no action would be take over track limits on the outside of corners.

I find it distasteful when I see drivers do this and it's the reason I've stopped watching a lot of motor racing. I now only watch races on tracks that don't have run off tarmac....

I'm willing to bet a lot more of these (Much taller) would discourage that:

ford-curbing.jpg

It was IMSA. They couldn't enforce track limits completely with the technology they had available so they told the drivers that no action would be take over track limits on the outside of corners.

I find it distasteful when I see drivers do this and it's the reason I've stopped watching a lot of motor racing. I now only watch races on tracks that don't have run off tarmac....
But if every driver takes the same line, and runs right to the edge of of the paved runoff...there's essentially no more paved runoff...which is kind of what a lot of us would like to see to begin with, no?

If the drivers want to drive at higher speeds, closer to obstacles, grass, gravel, and have to navigate hopping curbs...I don't have a problem with that.
I'm willing to bet a lot more of these (Much taller) would discourage that:

ford-curbing.jpg
Agreed 👍 More circuits need sausage curbs on the inside.

Not sure how safe it is to have them on the outsides of corners though.

Agreed 👍 More circuits need sausage curbs on the inside.

Not sure how safe it is to have them on the outsides of corners though.

The example at Tertre Rouge on the Circuit De La Sarthe would solve that (or the slippery stuff outside of Turn 1 at Red Bull Ring).

If I was a driver, I would rather have the runoff, than slam into a concrete barrier at 160 mph (Adelaide, Bathrust, Road America, etc.)

I say that from experience hitting one in a car accident from a tire blowout. I would have gladly appreciated a runoff area if possible to stop.

Back to racing, under no circumstances should that said runoff be used as a performance/race advantage.

Last edited:
There is an easy solution to run off tarmac.

Dig up the first 4-8 metres of it immediately adjacent to the edge of the track. (Corner by corner dependent.)

Plant real grass in real dirt in the first 2-4 metres right up to the white line and then put sand or gravel traps in the next 2-4 metres after that.

Then you can have all the run off you need for safety concerns after that.

If I was a driver, I would rather have the runoff, than slam into a concrete barrier at 160 mph (Adelaide, Bathrust, Road America, etc.)

I say that from experience hitting one in a car accident from a tire blowout. I would have gladly appreciated a runoff area if possible to stop.

Back to racing, under no circumstances should that said runoff be used as a performance/race advantage.
But if you're driving within the rules and your ability then you wouldn't need to worry about hitting a wall at 160mph as the barrier would be at the wrong side of the white line whereas you'll be on the right side.

So next weekend is Petit Le Mans, and the finale of the 2015 season... Nothing like it- 1000 miles or 10 hours (whichever comes first) around the tricky confines of Road Atlanta. This is one of my favorite race courses. I do remember logging laps virtually around Road Atlanta playing "Sports Car GT" and "Le Mans 24 Hours." This race is always a big deal, and this year's race will be no exception. I certainly look forward to this year's Petit Le Mans.

I saw on Facebook that there are to be some 37 entrants to this year's Petit Le Mans. Some of the same Facebook types were disappointed at this number of entrants to this race. Heck- 37 is... maybe above average at best for a track like Road Atlanta and for a race like Petit Le Mans. What, you want there to be 60 at Road Atlanta? Or maybe you want it to have 200-something cars like the Nürburgring 24 Hour race? Some people are making the car count at Petit Le Mans 2015 seem like the 2005 F1 United States Grand Prix or something.

It's still going to be a great race. Only thing is... will FOX Sports 1/2 have a cooperative schedule, or will we have to seek Radio Le Mans or something?

It's still going to be a great race. Only thing is... will FOX Sports 1/2 have a cooperative schedule, or will we have to seek Radio Le Mans or something?
11-12 ET on FS2 then bumped by truck series practice to the web from 12-2:30. Back to FS2 from 2:30-7pm ET of course unless the WV/Oklahoma game runs long on FS1 then it will most like by bumped for the Kansas St/Oklahoma St game. The truck series qualifying starts at 7pm and runs for 90 minutes until 8:30 unless it doesnt then the race will stay on the web only for the final hour. After all of that FS2 will leave the championship clincher to almost certainly be sure everybody sees every second of the truck series pre race show. Not confusing at all if you have a white board and multi-colored markers.:indiff:

Or you can just watch this stream an listen to the Imsa radio call on top of the Fox TV feeds. http://multimedia.netstorage.imsa.com/MULTIMEDIA1/index800.html

I seriously cannot grasp FOX and their 🤬 Schedule. Seriously, who looks at this and thinks this is a great idea? Its like they have no actual idea as to what actually is and is not confusing for fans.

To be fair they are doing a 1:30-4:30 PM on FS1 on Sunday which of course will be running head to head with Nascar race on NBCSN, Rallycross on NBC, Blancpain sprint series on CBSSN and something called the NFL.

The COTA re-air on FS1 this past Sunday killed it with 70,000 viewers and a 0.0 share in the same time slot so what can go wrong here?:boggled:

Now, I watch traditional sports. I certainly watch college football on Saturdays; but still, my first love before any traditional sport is motorsports. Even the former Speed Channel did a better job than what this schedule sounds like. If this becomes a completely wonky schedule, maybe this should be a chance for NBCSN and CBS Sports Network to perhaps pitch to try to cover Petit Le Mans proper. I have NO faith in ESPN/ABC picking it up, and I don't think they would even care, so they are out of the picture.

So maybe this a chance to find Radio Le Mans online and listen to that stream. Maybe look around on Twitter for any pictures. It would be the sort of workaround if FOX Sports 1/2/Go gets too confusing and muddled.

I have all my stuff ready to go. Just got to pack a bag and load up my friends CX-9 Friday morning. I have been looking forward to this race for a while.

Keep dry guys.
Looks like gloomy weather in Braselton until Sunday afternoon.

Reminds me of the Glen this year.

mich man.jpg

Wasn't it 2011 or so with that really wet race at Petit Le Mans? I know it was a race back in the late years of Speed Channel. But yes- PLEASE be careful if Mother Nature has an epic tirade up in Braselton, GA, USA.

Back