2017 Formula 1 United States Grand PrixFormula 1 

IMG_1924.JPG

congrats Lewis

Dutch commentators :banghead:
First the commentator said while hé overtakes, beautiful overtake four wheels full over the kerb. And later no nothing happend.

I think the 5 sec penalty is correct.

Last edited:
If there were still 3 laps to go then Max would have waited,but since it's the last lap,then it's fine to cut a corner to gain a place.

Also Horner says it is very inconsistent (not only this race but also same moves during other races this season) and it was the same steward who had the same action last year. Horners words:"surprise, surprise"....

Last edited:
Great drive by Max , just a shame that he misjudged the pass .
A tough call from the stewards but I think the right one . It's one of my pet rants that track limits should policed more strongly . But more importantly more consistently.

Why did Bottas not get the same penalty when Max tried to overtake Bottas and Bottas did not give back the position. Inconsistency?
It's not defending Max, but this is how racing should be or FIA should at least be consistent.

PS Also Bottas should not get a penalty for his defending move!

I would think so,but based on the people defending Max,it must be legal to do so.

I ain't saying it's legal. I'm saying track extensions, cuts and off-track excursions happen all the time without penalty. Moment that springs to mind most is Vettel lap after lap extending boundaries after turn 2 into turn 3 at Sochi earlier this year to get a better run into 3

I ain't saying it's legal. I'm saying track extensions, cuts and off-track excursions happen all the time without penalty. Moment that springs to mind most is Vettel lap after lap extending boundaries after turn 2 into turn 3 at Sochi earlier this year to get a better run into 3

I do think it should be policed a lot better,I'm sick of having laps deleted in Pcars,then watch an F1 race and the cars are off the track.

I'm only saying what I'm saying because some people are saying the stewards were too harsh.
Which considering that he gained a place going off track,because he was running out of metres,it is a fair decision.

Does anyone have a link to a gif of Carols's move around T19?

That was the best move I've seen all season and by far the best over-take at Austin
It was crazy awesome! :bowdown:
Too bad people are focusing on the drivers in front. F1 will be great if they canceled the first three teams :lol:

It was crazy awesome! :bowdown:
Too bad people are focusing on the drivers in front. F1 will be great if they canceled the first three teams :lol:
Yeah, I'm pretty disapointed, the r/formula1 subreddit has like 10 top page items on max's move, but Carlos's was not only on track, it was also more impressive...

Can't wait to see what Renault can bring next year in terms of a package.

Edit: Also, want to say how dissapointing Bottas's drive was today. He did almost nothing to help himself or the team and if Riccy hadn't had an engine failure he would have finished behind every other top team driver, in the fastest car, or at worse, second fastest.
I would imagine Toto is looking to sign Riccy asap as Lewis's team-mate, give them another driver who can help push and fight like Nico could.

Last edited:
There's a yellow helicopter out here. I'm guessing this is the aerial chase camera, but I wonder if it's an F1 thing or a COTA thing.
I reckon it's a F1 thing, when I was at the 2014 F1 race at SPA Francorchamps, the helicopter that was flying above us and filming, was also a yellow one. I was standing on the top of the banking hill on Kemmel straight.

Funny to see already three similar great overtakes during this race (e.g. Sainz-Ocon, Ricciardo-Bottas) and no penalty (and that's good because that's racing).

All in all a great race to watch and a lot of action and even more after discussions. A developing soap story?

I should be carefull what i write right now cause i am pissed off like hell....

I just saw a video of Sainz do same overtake manouvre as the one Max did and no one penalised him....

The entire weekend people went off track and did not get a penalty...

I know the rules and yes Max cut the track a little...but isnt this the racing we all been longing to see for the last years and complain about the lack of real fights on the track??...

Its not that Max cut off a sector ...he was in an intense last lap fight for the podium and had to make sure theovertake was clean and didnt crash into Kimi....

Pfffff....yeah the rule is a rule...but how inconsistent are the stewards with this!!!!

If a rule is a rule Vettel should ha e been banned out of F1 for ramming into Lewis at Baku...

Anyway, great race with a sad political ending...

Oh...andlast thing...Bottas....who??? ;-)

Spy.

I should be carefull what i write right now cause i am pissed off like hell....

I just saw a video of Sainz do same overtake manouvre as the one Max did and no one penalised him....

The entire weekend people went off track and did not get a penalty...

I know the rules and yes Max cut the track a little...but isnt this the racing we all been longing to see for the last years and complain about the lack of real fights on the track??...

Its not that Max cut off a sector ...he was in an intense last lap fight for the podium and had to make sure theovertake was clean and didnt crash into Kimi....

Pfffff....yeah the rule is a rule...but how inconsistent are the stewards with this!!!!

If a rule is a rule Vettel should ha e been banned out of F1 for ramming into Lewis at Baku...

Anyway, great race with a sad political ending...

Oh...andlast thing...Bottas....who??? ;-)

Spy.
Sainz went around the outside of Perez and neither went outside the white lines. If that was a battle at Montreal and Max took the position by cutting the last chicane, everyone would say he deserved a penalty. This is EXACTLY the same thing as that, which is why he was penalised with a penalty that just swapped the positions back.

Funny to see already three similar great overtakes during this race (e.g. Sainz-Ocon, Ricciardo-Bottas) and no penalty (and that's good because that's racing).

All in all a great race to watch and a lot of action and even more after discussions. A developing soap story?

When Saints overtook Ocon, he did it on track. The image floating around of him in basically the same place Max is in was when he didn't make the move stick...

..I'm not in favour of what happened post-race, but you can't try to make false comparisons (assuming thats what you meant) to bolster any stance

Was a great race to watch and some very nice moves by both Carlos and Max. I think it's fair to say now though that Vettel now has no chance at all anymore to win the championship. Lewis would have to get 3 DNF's I think, that's not going to happen. ;)

As for the penalty for Max, yes he did leave the track with all 4 tyres but look closely and I think you'll see that what @Famine said is true. You can see that Kimi wants to turn in since he didn't expect Max on the inside. Max reacts to this and has to move a little bit more, causing him to drive over the curbstones with the full car. There was no room for Max to take that corner with all tyres on track, Kimi would've definately hit him.

And then there's this.

DMxiWumWAAE-Ta_.jpg

And many more drivers going wide or cutting the track without any warnings or penalties. Either give everyone who did it a penalty or let Max get away with it as well, just isn't fair now. And I know I'm Dutch so many people will say I'm biased but come on..

Was a great race to watch and some very nice moves by both Carlos and Max. I think it's fair to say now though that Vettel now has no chance at all anymore to win the championship. Lewis would have to get 3 DNF's I think, that's not going to happen. ;)

As for the penalty for Max, yes he did leave the track with all 4 tyres but look closely and I think you'll see that what @Famine said is true. You can see that Kimi wants to turn in since he didn't expect Max on the inside. Max reacts to this and has to move a little bit more, causing him to drive over the curbstones with the full car. There was no room for Max to take that corner with all tyres on track, Kimi would've definately hit him.

And then there's this.

DMxiWumWAAE-Ta_.jpg

And many more drivers going wide or cutting the track without any warnings or penalties. Either give everyone who did it a penalty or let Max get away with it as well, just isn't fair now. And I know I'm Dutch so many people will say I'm biased but come on..

This...!!!

Spy.

When Saints overtook Ocon, he did it on track. The image floating around of him in basically the same place Max is in was when he didn't make the move stick...

..I'm not in favour of what happened post-race, but you can't try to make false comparisons (assuming thats what you meant) to bolster any stance

And then there's this.

DMxiWumWAAE-Ta_.jpg

See above quoted post.

@Leadfoot530, there's many more examples from other drivers who did gain an advantage. Like when Bottas was ahead of Max again by running wide after Max overtook him. Or Vettel's overtake on Bottas, also going off track right in front of Vandoorne. Or if you'd like to take a look at the whole weekend, in qualifying pretty much everyone and their mother was cutting the track and going wide. Where are the penalties for all those instances? Why only give one to Max?

And again, watch the video closely. It's not fully intentional, it's partly because he has to avoid getting hit by Kimi.

@Leadfoot530, there's many more examples from other drivers who did gain an advantage. Like when Bottas was ahead of Max again by running wide after Max overtook him. Or Vettel's overtake on Bottas, also going off track right in front of Vandoorne. Or if you'd like to take a look at the whole weekend, in qualifying pretty much everyone and their mother was cutting the track and going wide. Where are the penalties for all those instances? Why only give one to Max?

And again, watch the video closely. It's not fully intentional, it's partly because he has to avoid getting hit by Kimi.

There isn't another example of a driver cutting a corner in order to gain a position. Bottas ran wide, he ran a slower line...

...also it was interesting what Lewis has been saying about Vettel after the race, he said that at the start when Vettel jumped him, he could see that Vettel was running too quickly in the first sector and was ruining his tyres and it's at this point Lewis knew that he could have him on-track, rather than worrying about an under or over cut, which is kind of amazing that he could tell!

And Bottas also left enough of a gap between him and Vandoorne, that Vettel shot right through at the first chance, without going all-4 off the legal racing surface. Rumble-strips are still considered part of the legal surface I do believe, where-as the surface Max was on during his pass is not.

Week is going to be full of "that guy did dis and dis goy did dat so gib Max spot plz", Mexico can't come soon enough IMO.

I understand all the people complaining about guys running wide, and off the track all weekend. I've seen it happen to Bottas, Vettle, Sainz, and even Ricciardo. I also agree that the FIA needs to clamp down on those instances harder.

The problem lies that Max made a pass when he ran off the track, which is clearly an advantage, even if he was being squeezed by Raikkonen.

Running off a bit wide, in most instances is a penalty to the driver themself. passing someone while you're off the track is where the line is drawn.

Sure, it's a grey area, but I honesly believe this was the right call.

Why is everyone just replying to the examples of other drivers doing this and not to the video I posted. Also it doesn't matter if you cut the track or run wide, if you gain a position by doing so it's illegal. So Bottas and Vettel should get a penalty too. Not that I'd agree with that either since I see no issue with it at all. But consistency is the thing here, you can't just give 1 driver a penalty.

So now again, please take a look at the video I posted from F1's twitter page and make a comment about that too. I'd like to see some thoughts on how Max should've avoided a hit from Kimi without going off track. Just not possible since Kimi was turning in without really noticing Max there. The thing is though, if you do it to avoid a collision while you're already on the inside of someone, is an overtake still illegal then? I don't think he should've backed out of that move, Kimi didn't really leave him enough space.

Latest Posts

Back