2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Can't blame Nascar on this one. They could still go to the back and chill out until the end.

That strategy ended with these segments being implemented. You can't do that now with these short segments. That's why these segments were implemented, to stop drivers from hanging in the back all race long and to get them to "race". So yes, it is NASCAR's fault. They wanted more aggressive racing, well, here you have it.

That strategy ended with these segments being implemented. You can't do that now with these short segments. That's why these segments were implemented, to stop drivers from hanging in the back all race long and to get them to "race". So yes, it is NASCAR's fault. They wanted more aggressive racing, well, here you have it.
Especially since the way points are awarded is going to make everybody drive like a complete 🤬 face that makes casual online racers look like Ayrton Senna's, and ARCA drivers look like LMP1 driver candidates.

True but wrecking going for 10 points compared to the full amount just doesn't make sense to me at least.

This segment is much better than the first.

Edit: Me and my big mouth. Two car crash.

True but wrecking going for 10 points compared to the full amount just doesn't make sense to me at least.

Apparently you don't have a full understanding of the points as it relates to segment racing. You not only get 10 points for winning each segment, but the winner of each segment also gets 1 Playoff bonus point. Essentially, what NASCAR has done here is create 3 races in one, creating more chances for chaos.

Another drawback from this 5 min. pit road repair time limit, from what I am seeing so far, are the pit crews being under pressure in getting the car out in time thus not making adequate repairs to the car. Sure, they can get back up to minimum speed, but things are going to get overlooked or done in a haphazard way, causing more problems/cautions on the track. I'm already seeing this play out.

Apparently you don't have a full understanding of the points as it relates to segment racing. You not only get 10 points for winning each segment, but the winner of each segment also gets 1 Playoff bonus point. Essentially, what NASCAR has done here is create 3 races in one, creating more chances for chaos.
I know but still I guess just to me doesn't seem worth wrecking that early. If you just win the last segment you get 5 of them.

I know but still I guess just to me doesn't seem worth wrecking that early. If you just win the last segment you get 5 of them.

As opposed to a possible 7 for winning both segments and the race. The more playoff points you get, the better off you are.

@catamount39 Nope, yet another caution for a blown tire, probably from a tire rub...due to what I stated earlier...haphazard repairs.

What just happened to Sadler is what I believe is exactly the reason why the segment system is now in place. Sadler would have been in the mid 20s in points before, he'll likely leave Daytona inside the top 10 in points.

At some point NASCAR has to look at this farce of a race and say to themselves, "what are we doing?" Literally almost every change they've made this season has resulted in these races becoming crash-fests. Hey NASCAR, know what racing fans want? Races where more than half the field finishes, not where there are 5 cars left in contention at the end.

This race... it's a joke! Come on, man!

I'm starting to wonder if I even should bother watching the 500 after reading the comments here in the thread about the race today. :crazy: Not to mention following it through here and wondering why a 300 mile race was taking over 3 hours(!).

I'm starting to wonder if I even should bother watching the 500 after reading the comments here in the thread about the race today. :crazy: Not to mention following it through here and wondering why a 300 mile race was taking over 4 hours(!).

It might be better due to the more experienced drivers, but I think there will still be more aggressive driving than usual. Its just how well those guys/women can deal with it.

It might be better due to the more experienced drivers, but I think there will still be more aggressive driving than usual. Its just how well those guys/women can deal with it.
Only half the field is any better than the Xfinity crowd...not confidence inducing (especially when Danica Crashtrick and Wrecky Stenhouse are in the same field...along with Joey "Block All The Things" Logano).

Back