2021/22 Premier League & General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 1,132 comments
I think Kepa must have been watching the Six Nations beforehand. It's amazing how he had 11 chances to do something in the match and failed at all of them.

Still, Liverpool finally getting their hands back on a domestic cup feels great as a fan. Let's hope it's not the last this season!

Last edited:
My mate was at Wembley and he is a Liverpool supporter... he was behind the goal, right infront of the Sky commentary box, hence I don't know if the penalty shoot out happened at his end or not.

-

Scotland have joined England in announcing that they will not play Russia at any level at football for the foreseeable future.

Scotland actually face Ukraine in the World Cup playoffs next month, but at this rate that fixture must be in some doubt itself.

I wonder what would happen if Ukraine cannot play, presumably they would have to drop out of the competition...?

I can't see how the Play Offs can continue with Russia still involved - it would be grossly unfair for them to proceed if their opponents are disqualified for not competing against them, let alone reach the World Cup Finals. Unless the situation in Ukraine is resolved peacefully and the sovereignty of Ukraine respected, Russia should not be allowed to play in an international tournament.

I think Kepa must have been watching the Six Nations beforehand. It's amazing how he had 11 chances to do something in the match and failed at all of them.

Still, Liverpool finally getting their hands back on a domestic cup feels great as a fan. Let's hope it's not the last this season!
I don't remember which pundit it was but I heard them say it looked like Kepa had been watching the NFL the way it sailed high over the crossbar.

its-good.gif

FA Cup fifth round is this week, here are the games.

Tuesday.
Peterborough v Man City (7.15 ITV)
Crystal Palace v Stoke (7.30 BBC iPlayer)
Middlesbrough v Tottenham (7.55 BBC One)

Wednesday.
Luton v Chelsea (7.15 BBC One)
Southampton v West Ham (7.30 BBC iPlayer)
Liverpool v Norwich (8.15 ITV)

Thursday.
Nottingham Forest v Huddersfield (7.30 ITV4)
Everton v Boreham Wood (8.15 ITV)

There is one PL re-arranged games which is on Tuesday and its Burnley v Leicester and its not on TV. Premier League is back as normal this coming weekend with the big game being Man City v Man United on Sunday. :scared:

EDIT, FIFA and UEFA suspend Russia and Russian clubs from all competitions!!

Last edited:
Gary Linekar approves of Van Dijk's penalty :D

I love the look van Dijk gave him. :D

I think Lukaku, James and Jorginho may have the fingers to lips gesture to the Liverpool crowd, after scoring their penalties, come back to haunt them. ;)😄 Not sure I would have engaged with the crowd. :nervous: If you do things like that, you'd better win. ;)

I do find it slightly ironic that a person known for not speaking, Roman Abramovich (to the media at least), is being asked to help talks about peace. 😲 :lol:

Hope it helps bring a peaceful resolution as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Jesse Marsch is the new Leeds manager, the American was previously in charge of RB Salzburg and Leipzig where he got sacked after just a few months in charge.

Jesse Marsch is the new Leeds manager, the American was previously in charge of RB Salzburg and Leipzig where he got sacked after just a few months in charge.
He did do quite well at RB Salzburg though. ;)

They have been saying he likes a pressing game, but not with the rigid man to man marking that seemed to be Bielsa's achilles heel.

Middlesbrough 1-0 Spurs (after extra time)
Peterborough 0-2 Man City
Palace 2-1 Stoke

Burnley 0-2 Leicester

Big congrats to Middlesbrough, that's now Man United and Spurs they have knocked out of the cup! Didn't see all the game but saw the goal which was a nice finish from youngster Josh Coburn at the start of the second half of extra time, Middlesbrough deserved it from what I saw as they had a lot of chances. Peterborough did pretty well to hold Man City until the hour mark but Mahrez and Grealish scored the goals to put Man City through. Riedewald scored a late-ish winner for Palace in the 82nd minute to put them through.

Goals from Maddison and Vardy gave Leicester the win in the league game to dent Burnley's survival hopes, its Leicester's first league win of 2022!

Roman Abramovich is willing to listen to offers for Chelsea.

Derby County update, They missed their deadline to provide the EFL with evidence that they had funds to last the season (deadline was Monday) also progress is slow with the regards to news of a preferred bidder for the club.

Wow.

Fair play to Abramovich, I doubt anybody expected this. Abramovich is to write off £1.5 billion in loans that Chelsea FC owe him, and will donate net proceeds of the sale of the club to a charitable foundation to help victims of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Last edited:

Wow.

Fair play to Abramovich, I doubt anybody expected this. Abramovich is to write off £1.5 billion in loans that Chelsea FC owe him, and will donate net proceeds of the sale of the club to a charitable foundation to help victims of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
I HAVE to imagine the bombing yesterday (if the sale wasn't decided prior to then) swayed him into doing so.

Luton 2-3 Chelsea
Southampton 3-1 West Ham
Liverpool 2-1 Norwich

Luton took the lead twice against Chelsea but Chelsea fought back in the second half to go through with Saul, Werner and Lukaku all scoring, great effort from Luton with Burke and Cornick scoring though. Perraud scored a great opening goal for Southampton with Ward-Prowse penalty and Broja also scoring and Antonio getting West Ham's goal, Liverpool were 2-0 up and cruising thanks to Minamino's two goals but Lukas Rupp pulled one back for Norwich to make it a nervy last 15 mins or so.

Luton 2-3 Chelsea
Southampton 3-1 West Ham
Liverpool 2-1 Norwich

Luton took the lead twice against Chelsea but Chelsea fought back in the second half to go through with Saul, Werner and Lukaku all scoring, great effort from Luton with Burke and Cornick scoring though. Perraud scored a great opening goal for Southampton with Ward-Prowse penalty and Broja also scoring and Antonio getting West Ham's goal, Liverpool were 2-0 up and cruising thanks to Minamino's two goals but Lukas Rupp pulled one back for Norwich to make it a nervy last 15 mins or so.
Whenever West Ham have a shocker, their goalkeeper trends on Twitter...

... and that's quite the eye-opener.

So that's two clubs that Goodwillie has caused notable damage to simply by existing. This fellow is turning out to be quite the poisoned chalice, isn't he?

So that's two clubs that Goodwillie has caused notable damage to simply by existing. This fellow is turning out to be quite the poisoned chalice, isn't he?

Frankly I'm amazed that Clyde took the risk after what happened last time.

Plus he must have the most inappropriate surname imaginable considering his history!

Frankly I'm amazed that Clyde took the risk after what happened last time.

Plus he must have the most inappropriate surname imaginable considering his history!
He's played for Clyde since 2017. No one seemed to care that much until he went to Raith Rovers. That caused a bit of a stooshie* and that's continued now he's back at Clyde, even though he's played for them for the last 5 years (142 games, 92 goals.)

* stooshie
noun
INFORMAL•SCOTTISH
a row or fracas.

He's played for Clyde since 2017. No one seemed to care that much until he went to Raith Rovers. That caused a bit of a stooshie* and that's continued now he's back at Clyde, even though he's played for them for the last 5 years (142 games, 92 goals.)

* stooshie
noun
INFORMAL•SCOTTISH
a row or fracas.

Thanks for the extra info.

So basically, if he'd stayed at Clyde no one would have noticed and there would be no stooshie...

Presumably we can now expect protests from some of the same people that have been cheering his 92 goals...

Everton 2-0 Boreham Wood.

Second half goals from Rondon puts Everton through to the quarter finals, credit to Boreham Wood though for a great tournament and they held Everton for nearly an hour.

The final fifth round tie between Nottingham Forest and Huddersfield will be played on Monday night, this is because both teams have Championship games tomorrow night.

Quarter final draw was made before tonight's game and here it is.

Crystal Palace v Everton
Forest/Huddersfield v Liverpool
Middlesbrough v Chelsea
Southampton v Man City

Last edited:
Amanda Staveley, the co-owner of Newcastle with a Saudi-backed co-owner, has said that it's unfair that Abramovich is having to sell Chelsea because of his associations with a person in charge of a brutal and aggressive regime (Putin).

I wonder why she is against that......

Last edited:
Games this weekend.

Saturday.
Aston Villa v Southampton
Burnley v Chelsea
Leicester v Leeds (12.30 BT)
Liverpool v West Ham (5.30 Sky)
Newcastle v Brighton
Norwich v Brentford
Wolves v Crystal Palace

Sunday.
Man City v Man United (4.30 Sky)
Watford v Arsenal (2pm Sky)

Monday night.
Tottenham v Everton (8pm Sky)

Some big games tomorrow at both ends of the table, I'm not looking forward to Sunday in the slightest, I think we will get battered!

There will be Ukraine stuff from this weekend, Premier League this week announced that the team captains will wear armbands in the Ukrainian flags colours plus there will be a 'moment's reflection' before all games, the clubs have been doing their own thing tributes since the invasion.

There will also be a new ball in use as there'll be no yellow winter ball, there are four re-arranged games taking place on Thursday.

Leicester 1-0 Leeds
Wolves 0-2 Palace
Norwich 1-3 Brentford
Newcastle 2-1 Brighton
Villa 4-0 Southampton
Burnley 0-4 Chelsea
Liverpool 1-0 West Ham

Liverpool ground out a win over West Ham, Mane's goal inside the first half hour was given via VAR after he was just onside, West Ham were great and had a lot of chances and Liverpool just about managed to get a win, all four goals for Chelsea came in the second half, Toney scored a hat-trick for Brentford, Villa did a bit of a madness!

During the moments reflection for Ukraine bit the Chelsea fans could be heard chanting for Roman Abramovich, There was a plane banner that flew over Anfield before the game which read 'Cats lives matter', obviously directed at Kurt Zouma. :lol:

Watford 2-3 Arsenal
Man City 4-1 Man United

Two goals from De Bruyne and two from Mahrez in a comfortable win for City, some awful defending from United at times and Maguire was terrible, the only good thing about United really was our goal which was a great counter attacking move finished over superbly by Sancho who was booed beforehand. City six points clear at the top over Liverpool but the latter have a game in hand, United have been overtaken in fourth place by...

...Arsenal who picked up a hard fought win over Watford, some great goals in this one including an overhead kick from Hernandez of Watford and a great strike from Saka.

Lol United

Their defensive problems is similiar to Evertons, ***** defenders who were bought for high fee, and they seem to be undroppable

Back