2023-24 Formula 1 Off-Track Thread

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 875 comments
Formula One Management is based in Britain (Biggin Hill).
7/10 Teams are based in Britain, heavily relying on British staff and industry.
The series' main media outlet is the British broadcaster (Sky) which has since switched to F1TV which still is predominantly pundited by British media personalities.
The series conducts all its interviews and team radios in English. All writing on the graphics is provided in English and British media is often the first to get interviews with personalities in the Pitlane.
Four drivers on the grid are British (plus Albon kinda), all of which are/have been driving in the top teams this year. The most other nations have is 2.
Most journalism for the series is conducted in English, and due to proximity with teams and the cultural significant in the country, a lot of journalists are therefore British and report to British publications.

This is pathetic selective bias. When you only consume media from one nation in an International series, you'll obviously find it to focus on the popular drivers from that nation. Nobody really complains about a broadcaster focusing mostly on their national athletes at the Olympics. The broadcaster will always try to represent the people the viewers are interested in in a good light. Sounds like MBS only gets his news from Sky Sports and Autosport, who primarily focus on their main audience of the UK.

The series doesn't have a "British Bias", it is a British series (featuring Italy) which is worldwide. Does the Netherlands have a Dutch bias in its media? Does Italy have a Ferrari bias in its media? Would an American broadcast want interviews from Logan Sargeant more than other nations? What about the skyrocketing Argentinian broadcasts in the last three races?

Decrying the issue as "bias for a specific nation" completely misses the point and is trying to add malice to something that is merely a consequence of just how the series is.

Will Sky/F1TV cheer more if Norris wins the title than is Max does? Probably yes. Is that British Bias, or is that just the consequences of employing a load of British journalists to produce coverage for a British audience who want British drivers to do well and getting them to then extend to worldwide.

Of course my essay above also has selection bias to it too. I am British, I live in the UK, watch the British coverage of races and get my news on F1 through English-speaking media. But unlike MBS, I understand why there is significantly more attention given to British drivers in it. This is the consequence of many decades of industry and rule changes.

Anyway, I hope we can properly cash in on this British Bias and get a second Grand Prix in the UK lol

Formula One Management is based in Britain (Biggin Hill).
7/10 Teams are based in Britain, heavily relying on British staff and industry.
The series' main media outlet is the British broadcaster (Sky) which has since switched to F1TV which still is predominantly pundited by British media personalities.
The series conducts all its interviews and team radios in English. All writing on the graphics is provided in English and British media is often the first to get interviews with personalities in the Pitlane.
Four drivers on the grid are British (plus Albon kinda), all of which are/have been driving in the top teams this year. The most other nations have is 2.
Most journalism for the series is conducted in English, and due to proximity with teams and the cultural significant in the country, a lot of journalists are therefore British and report to British publications.

This is pathetic selective bias. When you only consume media from one nation in an International series, you'll obviously find it to focus on the popular drivers from that nation. Nobody really complains about a broadcaster focusing mostly on their national athletes at the Olympics. The broadcaster will always try to represent the people the viewers are interested in in a good light. Sounds like MBS only gets his news from Sky Sports and Autosport, who primarily focus on their main audience of the UK.

The series doesn't have a "British Bias", it is a British series (featuring Italy) which is worldwide. Does the Netherlands have a Dutch bias in its media? Does Italy have a Ferrari bias in its media? Would an American broadcast want interviews from Logan Sargeant more than other nations? What about the skyrocketing Argentinian broadcasts in the last three races?

Decrying the issue as "bias for a specific nation" completely misses the point and is trying to add malice to something that is merely a consequence of just how the series is.

Will Sky/F1TV cheer more if Norris wins the title than is Max does? Probably yes. Is that British Bias, or is that just the consequences of employing a load of British journalists to produce coverage for a British audience who want British drivers to do well and getting them to then extend to worldwide.

Of course my essay above also has selection bias to it too. I am British, I live in the UK, watch the British coverage of races and get my news on F1 through English-speaking media. But unlike MBS, I understand why there is significantly more attention given to British drivers in it. This is the consequence of many decades of industry and rule changes.

Anyway, I hope we can properly cash in on this British Bias and get a second Grand Prix in the UK lol
This post needs to be sent to the FIA and MBS, because it is honestly the most perfect response possible.

F1TV is way more balanced than Sky F1.
Exactly. It caters for a wider audience than Sky does. All the reporting in the UK about British Bias is because Sky's exclusivity deal means we have to suffer their expensive and awful coverage rather than the better F1 TV which is only accessible through VPNs.

1727972865716.png

joker-poor.gif

Last edited:
Back