2024 Repco Supercars ChampionshipTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 445 comments
Release Skippy!
Pirates Of The Caribbean GIF by Sea of Thieves

Its been a quiet but I don't mind it, its a nice contrast that will make a heavier Bathurst hit louder and is a really good moment for Brodie Kostecki in general to see a great drive after what happened at the start of the year and couldnt properly defend his title

EDIT: I don't think Barry Ryan is daring to dream, seeing the guy he scared off the team winning for the team in his last season for them. That sounds like a life choice regret from Ryan :lol:

Last edited:
Happy for Kostecki. Extremely happy for Hazelwood. Barry Ryan can go and suck eggs though.
Hope the fact the team he partially owns won Bathurst cause the guy you had beef with to the point he doesnt want to be there anymore lives rent free in his head. Barry could've still had that talent if he didn't **** it up.

Last edited:
Well that was pretty uneventful. I really think they need to look at allowing more entrants for future years (i.e. maybe a certain number of privateer and/or Super 2 entries).

Parity is killing the series, so a bit of pace differential might spice things up a bit.

I feel like we've also missed out on rain the last few years??

Well that was pretty uneventful. I really think they need to look at allowing more entrants for future years (i.e. maybe a certain number of privateer and/or Super 2 entries).

Parity is killing the series, so a bit of pace differential might spice things up a bit.

I feel like we've also missed out on rain the last few years??
I think theyve always allowed more entries, they tried making the Super2 round at Bathurst one time a non Championship round to encourage Super2 entries but it backfired as none of them wanted to do it and just caused the Super2 field to be weak.

I would rather not have more #118 on the tracks, we were lucky Cameron Waters got away from that sudden slow down park.

ey tried making the Super2 round at Bathurst one time a non Championship round to encourage Super2 entries but it backfired as none of them wanted to do it and just caused the Super2 field to be weak.

I would rather not have more #118 on the tracks, we were lucky Cameron Waters go
Why not? Speed differential and/or multi-class racing is a key component of endurance racing. Bathurst has been a snooze fest ever since it was effectively reduced to the active V8 Supercars field.

When a single brake lockup (e.g. Cam Waters in the first stint) effectively puts you out of contention in a 6 hour race, something is wrong.

Why not? Speed differential and/or multi-class racing is a key component of endurance racing. Bathurst has been a snooze fest ever since it was effectively reduced to the active V8 Supercars field.

When a single brake lockup (e.g. Cam Waters in the first stint) effectively puts you out of contention in a 6 hour race, something is wrong.
Multi class is not the same as general difference in pace. As the different classes have a specific defined pace and aren't trying to fight frontrunners of another class to avoid being overlapped as it doesnt matter. Especially on a track with large straights. Slower class racers aren't a safety hazard like slower amatuer pace drivers are.

I don't think its wrong, some mistakes are more costly than others, it all depends on the race itself, its a big gamble from start to end. If anything a mistake costing you because everyone else in front didnt make nearly as bad a mistake means it actually went right.

It really isn't a big deal as you claim, my only problem is the new rule of forcing main drivers to start mean strategies got really linear as strategies the rely on the co drivers ability just aren't viable anymore. At the end of the day, it was a clean race and I don't think thats a bad thing that a clean race happened and run cause Kostecki was the better driver with the better car that day. Quieter races make the Louder ones even more Louder.

Last edited:
In saying that they could be BoPd down if they really want to. CotF and Blueprint cars didn't have much issues when they were together in Super2 for 1 Season
Weren't they split into Super 2 and Super 3 though? They raced Gen 2 against COTF but it was never really even.

Last edited:
Weren't they split into Super 2 and Super 3 though? They raced Gen 2 against COTF but it was never really even.
No, Super2 and Super3 coming together as a multi class championship didnt happen until much later. Paul Dumbrell was a top contender that season of Super2 still using the VE Commodore

No, Super2 and Super3 coming together as a multi class championship didnt happen until much later. Paul Dumbrell was a top contender that season of Super2 still using the VE Commodore
So one car was competitive with a far more experienced driver? From what I can tell on Wiki, that one car was also pantsed by the FG X's of Jack LeBroq and Garry Jacobsen.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
So one car was competitive with a far more experienced driver? From what I can tell on Wiki, that one car was also pantsed by the FG X's of Jack LeBroq and Garry Jacobsen.

View attachment 1397202

The FG Xs were top dog (given they are the most up to date machinery which I wonder how they were legal for Super2 when they were only 1 year old :lol:) but the Blueprints were still competitive, Taz Douglas also entered with a VE rounded up 5th.

The only complicated bit is which FGs were COTF and which ones were Blueprint as we dont have much info on that one.

I remember Pickford running brand new FG Xs in Super 2 that year and causing a bit of drama due to the aero evolution that had taken place between the FG, VE era and the FG X, VF era. It was rare that when anyone else won, it wasn't because of the FG Xs being caught up in accidents.

To the race, it honestly got to the point for me that I was hoping for no safety cars. The only things that made it better than last years race was that it was the fastest 1000 ever, neat record to break, and that it was won by Brodie and Todd. Fantastic for Brodie after the year he's had, and absolutely stoked for Todd. Had a hot lap with him around Phillip Island years ago while he was still in the Dunlop Series, both him and his family are as friendly as you can been, really goo people.

But yeah, the race was a stinker. Wouldn't have cared about there lack of SCs if there was at least some battles going on.

The FG Xs were top dog (given they are the most up to date machinery which I wonder how they were legal for Super2 when they were only 1 year old :lol:) but the Blueprints were still competitive, Taz Douglas also entered with a VE rounded up 5th.
You may call Taz Douglas' results competitive but I don't honestly think he was. He only scored two podiums and most of his finishes were outside the top five. Paul Dumbrell was more competitive (when looking at results) in what were very good cars (ex-Triple 8 cars I think) in their time but just not up to it against the FG X COTF.

Edit: It's always been that the newest model car is better than the older model in Super 2. Remember when the Nissan was first allowed to compete, and that while being a dog in the main game it could blitz the Super 2 field because of it's updated aero package. Gen 3 is the only car that didn't advance in speed/laptime, and that was deliberate.

Anyway, regardless of any of this, there is no way Supercars would be allowed by the teams (who are also in the business of building and selling race cars) to BoP cars into a parity series.

Even if by some miracle they could, you can't honestly think it's a good idea, when Supercars have been notorious at not even being able to get parity right, to add BoP'ed cars into the mix for one round when they probably can't even test them at Bathurst to get the BoP correct?

Last edited:
Parity is great when it works but when it doesn’t, it’s bad. This years Bathurst 1000 was a snoozefest redeemed by a deserving winner. If we didn’t have that, I wouldn’t been quite upset because the top 5 spots barely changed throughout the race and that is a damn shame. I feel like parity is to blame because there wasn’t enough of a pace differential between the cars, preventing any kind of competition. So it begs the question - how can we ensure excitement each and every time? Well the answer is simple: success ballast. Super GT and BTCC use it to keep things competitive so why can’t Supercars? I know that some will oppose it as it creates “fake racing” but more focus should be placed on the show as the whole road relevance thing doesn’t mean squat anymore. Like the Melbourne Cup, where each jockey has to carry a different weight to ensure fairness, each car should have varying degrees of ballast to give drivers further down the order a better chance to compete for the win. That will cause a pace differential and create action on its own.

Parity is great when it works but when it doesn’t, it’s bad. This years Bathurst 1000 was a snoozefest redeemed by a deserving winner. If we didn’t have that, I wouldn’t been quite upset because the top 5 spots barely changed throughout the race and that is a damn shame. I feel like parity is to blame because there wasn’t enough of a pace differential between the cars, preventing any kind of competition. So it begs the question - how can we ensure excitement each and every time? Well the answer is simple: success ballast. Super GT and BTCC use it to keep things competitive so why can’t Supercars? I know that some will oppose it as it creates “fake racing” but more focus should be placed on the show as the whole road relevance thing doesn’t mean squat anymore. Like the Melbourne Cup, where each jockey has to carry a different weight to ensure fairness, each car should have varying degrees of ballast to give drivers further down the order a better chance to compete for the win. That will cause a pace differential and create action on its own.
You dont want success ballast for a race like Bathurst.

Im all for experiementng with Success Ballast and would rather it over finals any day (and they absolutely cant coexist) but the series that have have to make exceptions to stop sandbagging. Super GT has the second last race ballast be slashed in half before dropping it all together in the final race. LMGT3 of WEC drops it for Le Mans. For a race like Bathurst we would see non title contenders sandbagging for the rest of the season to have the lowest ballast possible just to win Bathurst which is considered bigger than the championship to some. So if we were to have Ballast, the Enduro races would have to be the exception anyway

Honestly, this isnt as big of an issue people are making it out to be, there was a dominant driver therefore he won since no bad luck happened. This is much more the exception than it is the rulem

You all know I haven’t been watching the series since I went to the Newcastle race last year. I wasn’t going to watch the 1000, but it was good from start to finish. I mean, look, the damn cars were bulletproof! Way different from last year.
No discrepancies from what I caould see during the event. I didn’t hear any drivers complaining about the Chevys pulling away everywhere. I didn’t hear drivers complaining about anything other than blue flags(I didn’t watch or read any post race interviews to find out if there were any driver complaints).

…and… and… for only ONE car to DNF and to still have a close finish as per usual at Bathurst, it was a good race overall. For a race that didn’t have a roo on track, track surface break apart, no cars flipping at The Chase, no Dunlop dramas, no multiple times deployed safety car intrusions due to pretty much anything, no refuelling fires and perfect weather? I certainly was entertained.

I’d always want a maximum field of cars pit lane will allow. Give me 50 V8s, but it ain’t happening. Add the Super 2 cars!? It ain’t happening. These young dudes were foot to the floor all race. Maybe start opening door windows. Do like Trans-Am and have the aero be affected with just catch nets in the windows.

At least we have a baseline race in this new era with perfect conditions and how it looks with drivers going flat out.

I didn’t hear any drivers complaining about the Chevys pulling away everywhere.
Chasing the #31 PremiAir Racing Camaro on Conrod Straight on lap 102, the broadcast captured a frustrated Waters telling his Tickford team: “****, this thing’s got some motor in front of me. Jesus.”

“Little bit of car speed not there,” surmised Mostert post-race. “Straight line was pretty crazy out there to watch, some cars [were] super-fast. [Fifth] was probably about the best we could hope for.”

;)

Back