2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 3,547 comments
National Review ran a piece in which it alleges that Democrats are culpable in attempts on Trump's life because of "threat to democracy" language. It's hard to reconcile that with JD Vance having gone on Face The Nation this week and, when asked if he regrets that his false claims about migrants stealing and eating pets have resulted in bomb threats at schools and hospitals in Springfield, Ohio, responded that, "We don't believe, Margaret, in the Heckler's Veto in this country."

Also that's a wild, idiotic misrepresentation of the Heckler's Veto. The Heckler's Veto is already regularly misrepresented when it's invoked to refer to shouting down--the use of especially cacophonous collective expression to drown out disfavored speech--and the existing term for that is plenty fine, but Vance's misrepresentation is just aggressively stupid. The Heckler's Veto is when a heckler or hecklers, an offended party or group, compels state action against expression which is deemed offensive. An example would be Moms For Liberty getting the state to pull books they don't like out of public and school libraries.

Last edited:
National Review ran a piece in which it alleges that Democrats are culpable in attempts on Trump's life because of "threat to democracy" language. It's hard to reconcile that with JD Vance having gone on Face The Nation this week and, when asked if he regrets that his false claims about migrants stealing and eating pets have resulted in bomb threats at schools and hospitals in Springfield, Ohio, responded that, "We don't believe, Margaret, in the Heckler's Veto in this country."
That's staggering hypocrisy. I wonder whether Rufo and his gang have dropped their attempts to prove Haitian immigrants eat people's pets to try and pin this latest attempt on Biff Tanning on the opposition.

The US Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, Markenzy Lapointe, who is prosecuting the case against the gunman accused of trying to assassinate Donald Trump, held a press conference Monday.

Who is Markenzy Lapointe you might ask? Markenzy Lapointe is a Haitian immigrant to the United States. He came to the United States in 1987 at the age of 16 with his mother. He graduated Miami Edison Senior High School in 1987. He served for 6 years in the United States Marine Corps reserves and did a 6 month tour in Iraq during the Gulf War. He became a US citizen in 1995.

From the 6 minute mark.

The US Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, Markenzy Lapointe, who is prosecuting the case against the gunman accused of trying to assassinate Donald Trump, held a press conference Monday.

Who is Markenzy Lapointe you might ask? Markenzy Lapointe is a Haitian immigrant to the United States. He came to the United States in 1987 at the age of 16 with his mother. He graduated Miami Edison Senior High School in 1987. He served for 6 years in the United States Marine Corps reserves and did a 6 month tour in Iraq during the Gulf War. He became a US citizen in 1995.

From the 6 minute mark.

From the video:

1726555467763.png

Screenshot-20240917-084654-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Is it incorrect to say that inflammatory rhetoric caused the attack highlighted above? It's certainly consistent with the claim from Trump's surrogates in media that Democrats' "threat to democracy" language causes attempts on Trump's life, and yet they refuse to acknowledge that Trump, the GOP, and right-wing media could be culpable in violence directed at the political opposition and members of disfavored groups.

Trump media surrogates: "Stop trying to kill President Trump with the things you say!"

Also Trump media surrogates:

Screenshot-20240917-085554-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Now I'm not in a position to say that rhetoric is the cause and I'm not making such a claim. Indeed I think SCOTUS' now-55-year-old incitement standard which recognizes that inflamatory rhetoric is not some monolith and that individual agency still matters is about as good as a legal precedent can get. I'm just calling balls and strikes. I'm highlighting a double standard, and a particularly brazen one at that.

Screenshot-20240917-084654-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Is it incorrect to say that inflammatory rhetoric caused the attack highlighted above? It's certainly consistent with the claim from Trump's surrogates in media that Democrats' "threat to democracy" language causes attempts on Trump's life, and yet they refuse to acknowledge that Trump, the GOP, and right-wing media could be culpable in violence directed at the political opposition and members of disfavored groups.

Trump media surrogates: "Stop trying to kill President Trump with the things you say!"

Also Trump media surrogates:

Screenshot-20240917-085554-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Now I'm not in a position to say that rhetoric is the cause and I'm not making such a claim. Indeed I think SCOTUS' now-55-year-old incitement standard which recognizes that inflamatory rhetoric is not some monolith and that individual agency still matters is about as good as a legal precedent can get. I'm just calling balls and strikes. I'm highlighting a double standard, and a particularly brazen one at that.
Trump: Stop trying to kill me by saying that I'm a threat to democracy, even though I am and it's my campaign platform.

Also Trump: Let me just retweet this image.

6d3ee32f783bd4918ebf6112129ab8e70f0dc973

Last edited:
30 years ago if you had asked me what the downfall of America would be, I would not have said "clickbait". But Fox News is currently running conspiracy clickbait headlines designed to reinforce deep state conspiracies that somehow the Biden/Harris admin is trying to kill Trump.

Whatever Trump says, Fox tries to figure out if they can make it true somehow, and if they can't they still run clickbait designed to give that impression. It's sickening.

Last edited:
It's true that a big portion of the US seems to be in favor of the very thing their fathers landed in Normandy to fight. Let's hope sanity prevails.
The problem with that hope is that they absolutely don't see it as a parallel situation, because the fascism happens to be of their preferred flavor.

So "it's different."

Last edited:
30 years ago if you had asked me what the downfall of America would be, I would not have said "clickbait". But Fox News is currently running conspiracy clickbait headlines designed to reinforce deep state conspiracies that somehow the Biden/Harris admin is trying to kill Trump.

Whatever Trump says, Fox tries to figure out if they can make it true somehow, and if they can't they still run clickbait designed to give that impression. It's sickening.
Need to always put the disclaimer below any Fox News broadcast:

"Warning: This is not a news network but an entertainment network. Please don't sue us."

I think only one or two bullets actually flew and it's actually people in his own country that are laughing the hardest:

GXnHpq-W4AEoGyr.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe you all know better than me. I don't actively search and read DT's posts, but...
Those posts do not read like the Trump that's on stage. I don't ever recall him varying his vocabulary in front of a microphone as much as the twitter/X posts.

I can't believe this guy has the patience to use his fingers to type messages when he could be pointing them at someone.

Maybe you all know better than me. I don't actively search and read DT's posts, but...
Those posts do not read like the Trump that's on stage. I don't ever recall him varying his vocabulary in front of a microphone as much as the twitter/X posts.

I can't believe this guy has the patience to use his fingers to type messages when he could be pointing them at someone.
They're written by his staffers "translating" for him. You can tell when he wrote the posts, himself.

A nutter with a gun in Florida and people are surprised?
You want to poke at the hornets nest of extremist elements in your country? - then you have to be prepared to deal with those that might not like what you stand for. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Back