• 4,198 comments

Have you voted yet?

• Yes

• No, but I will be

• No and I'm not going to

• I can't - I don't live in the US

• Other - specify in thread

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apparently, Ricky Martin & Bad Bunny reposted those "jokes" at their expense. I've never heard any of Bad Bunny's music, but I know he's got a following that could rival Swift's & he's huge in latino communities.

Edit* Rick ******* Scott tweeted how insulting it was. Puerto Ricans make up 5-6% of Florida's population, he likely has an understanding of the damage it could cause if Tony's "joke" turns them away from the GOP candidates.

Last edited:
What a pile of **** lowlife pussygrabber hitler impersonator grifter.

“They’re smart and they’re vicious, and we have to defeat them,” he said. “And when I say, ‘the enemy from within,’ the other side goes crazy. Becomes a sound – ‘oh, how can he say’ – no, they’ve done very bad things to this country. They are indeed the enemy from within.”

However, Trump still attempted to make his speech into a message of unity.

“The Republican party has really become the party of inclusion, and there’s something nice about that,” he said near the end of his remarks.
At least he got one thing right about us being smarter that the cultists.
Party of inclusion of fascists and racsist, yeah, that’s very nice indeed. If only we could include all of them and … give them a little taste of their own medicine.

Last edited:

There are about 6 million Puerto Ricans in the US. I hope they remember those words at the ballot box.

They likely will. Puerto Ricans are some of the most prideful people of their heritage that I know. There's always the joke of "how do you know if someone is Puerto Rican? Don't worry they'll tell you."
The only way either DC or PR would ever be admitted as new states would be if two states could be admitted, one conservative and one liberal, like we've typically done it. DC is obviously hard liberal but PR is right on the line and could go either way. Their hispanic roots tend to be a little conservative.

I doubt it - because they're probably too stupid to pull it off - but these offensive remarks could possibly be done on purpose, to push PR toward the Democrats, and if they accomplish that in their minds they're guaranteeing that PR - and more importantly DC - will never be admitte to the States. I could see PR having at least one Republican Senator and probably a couple Republican House members but would likely be blue come Presidential elections. Republicans are terrified of DC and PR statehood which is most of the reason it's never happened.

I mean, it would be funny if Florida switched blue but I can't see that happening.
Cuban-Americans are harder red than Appalachian snake worshippers @Omnis

Last edited:
Listened to more of the speech from trump today and he really dialed up the hate and racism to full blast today. Bringing back laws from 1798? Get ready for that? Oh boy, we’re really going back in time…

Media is the enemy? Yeah, they are to be honest, he may be right here. We still have Fox News existing somehow.

I am pleased to see at least one media outlet calling this out for what it is, fascist.

Huffpost is far from the greatest media outlet around, but on this they are 100% on the right side of history.

I really believe there are regular people who can’t wait to sign up to be his minions. The writer in the article above made good use of the Storm Trooper reference. Thing is, this is more like Spaceballs. Anyone can where the outfit and become instantly expendable. The redhats have gone from “make American great again” to “yes, my master.”

As with the UK election in July, there really are that many unpleasant people out there. It's a hard pill to swallow.
Especially given that we have been through this before and know perfectly well that authoritarianism is not a good idea.

The only positive thing about it is that people won’t get to use the “but we didn’t know” defence this time around.

Especially given that we have been through this before and know perfectly well that authoritarianism is not a good idea.

The only positive thing about it is that people won’t get to use the “but we didn’t know” defence this time around.
Instead they'll try to deny reality and/or blame things on the victims and their political opponents.

This is easier to do than ever now that we have mechanisms in social media designed around grouping people into bubbles and echo chambers and amplifying their worst aspects and most contentious opinions.

Harris and Trump are split nationally in the NYT Sienna poll of 80,000 people. This is the last NYT Sienna poll before the election.

If this is true, it suggests a Trump win. Harris cannot be dead even nationally and still win the EC, which has a republican lean to it. All of the battleground states lean red compared to national averages. So she needs to be leading by something like 3% nationally to be even in battleground states.

I think there is no way this poll is correct. The reason is because I simply refuse to believe that Harris is set up to underperform Hillary at a national level. This poll suggests that Harris is so unpopular that she is at risk of losing the popular vote, and I just don't think that's a credible scenario. If my position turns out to be correct, it means that there is a pro-Trump selection bias in at least this one specific poll.

If my position is not correct, the US has lost its damned mind and is about to elect a maniac clown.

This poll, conducted across only 2900 voters, suggests that Harris has a +4 lead nationally (more along the lines of what I'd expect), with the NYT Sienna poll being outside of the margin of error. Granted, it's a much smaller poll. But it highlights that polling methodology can play a role since these two are outside of each other's margin of error. Both polls are conducted among "likely voters" which isn't the same as who will actually vote, so both polls should be taken with a grain of salt.

What's interesting to me in the abc poll is that the trend is the opposite of what we've been seeing in other polls, leading me further to believe that none of these should be paid attention to.

Last edited:
They likely will. Puerto Ricans are some of the most prideful people of their heritage that I know. There's always the joke of "how do you know if someone is Puerto Rican? Don't worry they'll tell you."
And try to buy your RX-7 by yelling at you from a car on the highway or while delivering packages to your house. Those people love them spinning doritos.

This poll, conducted across only 2900 voters, suggests that Harris has a +4 lead nationally (more along the lines of what I'd expect), with the NYT Sienna poll being outside of the margin of error. Granted, it's a much smaller poll. But it highlights that polling methodology can play a role since these two are outside of each other's margin of error. Both polls are conducted among "likely voters" which isn't the same as who will actually vote, so both polls should be taken with a grain of salt.

What's interesting to me in the abc poll is that the trend is the opposite of what we've been seeing in other polls, leading me further to believe that none of these should be paid attention to.
The current Nate Silver model is putting a low weight on all of these outlier polls. Seems there have been a considerable number of polls showing Trump advantages recently but because their methodology and results are reasonable they're still included and thus the gap is tightening. But the sheer number of them is very suspicious.

The current Nate Silver model is putting a low weight on all of these outlier polls. Seems there have been a considerable number of polls showing Trump advantages recently but because their methodology and results are reasonable they're still included and thus the gap is tightening. But the sheer number of them is very suspicious.

Yea, they apparently do a concerted red wave dump of republican leaning pollsters in the days leading up to the election. I was paying a lot of attention to the NYT/Sienna poll because it isn't one of those and has a huge sample size. But the ABC/Ipsos poll is also a good poll and gives a different answer. Granted the sample is less than a 10th. But how do you choose where to poll nationally? It's not easy to get the methodology right. The NYT poll was tough to square with my view of reality, being that Harris is going to take the popular vote.

Last edited:

I wonder how many of these unknown phone numbers I've been rejecting are actually political polls? I would think a political poll call would come from outside my area code.

I get, at a minimum, 7 calls a day from these people.
I rarely answer. When I do I pretend to be a rando business. Chucks Butchers is my go to. 🤣
It’s hilarious listening to them try to figure out who they just called.
My go-to is, "Yo, Joe's Crematorium, you kill 'em, we grill 'em! Who can we BBQ for you today?"

The problem with some comedians is that they aren't joking.
Absolutely.

Additionally, Tony's joke reminds me of a Hannibal Buress bit. In it, he's at a bar being hit on by a woman who keeps telling him to tell her a joke, "Mr. Funny Man". He finally accepts, forecasting that she didn't say it had to be a good joke & goes, "What do you tell a woman with a black eye? Nothing, she was already told once". The audience laughs, & Hannibal immediately acknowledges that in that context, that's a terrible joke & now he just looks like an ******* to the entire bar. He explains to the audience that there is a time & place for all things including jokes.

Here, that applied b/c it's a political rally, not the Comedy Store or Laugh Factory & people on both sides of the aisle did not find it funny, including people at the rally given Tony's immediate follow up realizing it didn't hit the way he thought it would; fair play to Tony & the campaign for approving it (despite trying to distance themselves afterwards) for assuming Trump supporters would back it, but looks like a decent chunk of people in the crowd had some line in the sand. Probably also people who don't know Tony is a comedian or what his schtick is, so to them, here's a random speaker just spouting off full-on racist comments. Because again, as Hannibal outlined, context matters.

But Hannibal is also actually funny unlike Tony whose comedy persona is, "Twink who says offensive jokes".
Right-wing comedy seems to be:

<say something offensive>
<whoops, I forgot to include a joke!>
Because they just become lecturers & people who tell jokes the audience wants to hear, not their own material. Like Rob Schneider or Jim Breuer who say something like, "My pronouns are You're/Dumb". That's hack material, but their audiences are Maga, so they love it. The interesting thing is that it's apparently called "Audience Capture" where you become a victim of their expectations. And ironically, the person I learned about it from regarding comedy is Joe Rogan.

Back