Alonso at Ferrari for 2010

• Thread starter orimarc
  • 150 comments
Is anyone keeping count of how many of these Alonso-Ferrari rumors we get?

Realistically, I think we're about 6...Expect another one by the end of the year.

Yes, because what holds true for one holds true for all. The difference here is that the tabloids are pushing for this. In 2006, it was just the rumour mill doing its usual thing.

Alonso isn't going to start winning again if he joins Ferrari. He's going to be doing about the same as he is this year and last. It's pretty telling that his only championsihps were won in the era of traction control.
All the big drivers call the rumors fake because they want to cover it up until later. So consider Alonso with ferrari soon.
So your logic is that because nothing is happening, something is clearly happening? Very Holmesian of you, but guess what: I just looked outside and it's not raining, so clearly it much be raining!

Put it this way - if they spin a rumour about a driver going to every team, eventually they will be right won't they?
If they said Alonso going to Brawn, Alonso going to McLaren, Alonso going to Force India etc and one of them came true, would that mean you would believe all the rumours because one held true for once?

Alonso isn't going to start winning again if he joins Ferrari. He's going to be doing about the same as he is this year and last. It's pretty telling that his only championsihps were won in the era of traction control.So your logic is that because nothing is happening, something is clearly happening? Very Holmesian of you, but guess what: I just looked outside and it's not raining, so clearly it much be raining!

Are you seriously insinuating the only reason why Alonso won two World Championships was traction control?

Come on. I thought you were smarter than that.

Do you race?
Alonso isn't going to start winning again if he joins Ferrari. He's going to be doing about the same as he is this year and last. It's pretty telling that his only championsihps were won in the era of traction control.So your logic is that because nothing is happening, something is clearly happening? Very Holmesian of you, but guess what: I just looked outside and it's not raining, so clearly it much be raining!

Are you seriously insinuating the only reason why Alonso won two World Championships was traction control? I thought i was because he out raced and performed one of the best racers of all time.To Be Honest i cant see alonso staying at Renault in 2010 unless he knows something that we dont know, he said on the BBC on Sunday that he expects to be in a Championship winning car in 2010. To me that either means renault have dropped the 2009 car to work on the 2010 car or he has a big money move on to Ferrari. Your guess is as good as mine

Last edited:
How would Ferrari be safer than Renault next year? Maybe in terms of backing but for all we know Renault could be the ones who have just snatched Jorg Zander and Geoff Willis....
With yet another big rule change next year and both Ferrari drivers with contracts for 2010, Alonso is best off at Renault. His only other options in my opinion are Williams, BMW Sauber, and maybe McLaren or Brawn. Or one of the new teams or a lower team.

Actually, Campos might be interesting, certainly his home fans would love that.

This is how it went:
1. The Italian press (aka The Rumour Factory) decided to ask Alonso if he wanted to race for Ferrari.
2. If you would put every F1 driver in a row and ask them "Are you interested in Ferrari?", you would see everyone's hand up --> Alonso answered "Heck yeah!"
3. The Rumour Factory made up a really cheesy head line: "Alonso is in talks with Ferrari about next season"
4. The Spanish media took the ball and ran with it like a headless chicken.

(I didn't figure this out, it was the Finnish F1 commentators who decrypted this for me.)

Hmm...

Oh crap. How I'm gonna explain this mess in my pants now?

You were watching p0rm.

It's a much better explanation than "I was thinking about Alonso and..."

If they ask Alonso if he has red undies, that's enough confirmation for the spanish press...

Then we shall see what happens in Monza or at the end of the year, all I know, and this very obvious, is that Kimi needs to go. He's not the same Kimi from 2007 or the Mclaren years. Either way, the most important thing for me is Ferrari winning both championships. And Massa is already well capable of taking the WDC. Alonso would just complete the package. Also Ferrari will start development on the 2010 car very soon, so hopefully we can have a leg up a la Brawn/Honda.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan to me,we'll just have to wait and see. I agree with you about Kimi,he does;nt have his head in the game. I also think Alonso would be just what Ferrari needs.

'Räikkönen to retire after 2009'
14 July 2009

The Finnish media are reporting that Kimi Räikkönen will be retiring from Formula One at the end this season in order to make way for Fernando Alonso at the Italian team. Paddock rumours have linked the 2007 World Champion with Brawn, although new suggestions point towards a career in rallying.

With Räikkönen having already competed in three rally events this year, latest speculation from the Veikkaaja newspaper of Finland suggests that the Ferrari driver, who turns 30 in October, will be hanging up his F1 helmet for good as Spain's Alonso moves to the Scuderia ahead of 2010.

The reports also explained that Kimi's final year of contract - including payments of an estimated €28m - at Ferrari would be paid for but blocking the driver from joining any other Formula One team in the process. Riku Kuvaja, an 'assistant' of Räikkönen, has allegedly denied Tuesday's hearsay.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/07/14/raikkonen-to-retire-after-2009/

Be it Alonso the replacement, or if the Scuderia decides to make Massa their #1 from the start, I really hope Kimi leaves for the WRC. 28 million Euros for doing nothing, what a sweet deal for Kimi.

I bet the Finnish sources are the Spanish tabloids ...

Almost every driver in this season is going to stay on for the next one because with three new teams coming, that's as many as six rookies. The teams will want to keep that number down.

For me it would be perfect if Nico Rosberg and Bruno Senna would drive for Ferrari. It is just shame that Brawn GP didn't take Bruno for his driver this year like they planed on the start instead of re-employing Rubens. What a debut would that be a? :D

If they took Bruno, we would have 1 rookie and 1 experienced driver in superior cars both contenders for the title. It would be a Senna-Prost or a more recent Alonso-Hamilton again.

That assumes that Senna is worth the teams' while. I have a very clear memory of someone saying in the midle of last year that he wasn't ready for a 2009 debut. I've said it before: Nakajima, Piquet, and to a lesser extent Rosberg have proven that having a famous name is no susbtitute for speed or talent. Senna would be better off with Manor or Campos than with Brawn because there wouldn't be as much pressure and he'd be able to find his feet on his own terms.

I got this from a Finnish TV channel's, MTV3's, website and translated into English:
The rumour mill began to do its job last week's wednesday, when the biggest sport magazine of Italy, Gazzetta dello Sport, speculated that Räikkönen would have to make way for Fernando Alonso during the next season.

The rumour isn't actually so new, because the Spanish media has been telling the same story for a year now. Ever more credibility gave to this the magazine's long-time F1 reporter Pino Allievi, who has been told to have good relations with Ferrari.

To get higher sells, IS Veikkaaja lifted up today the same news quite visibly - with Gazzetta dello Sport and Allievi as the source. The Finnish media spread the news immediately, which Räikkönen's people denied almost as quickly.

It didn't take longer than three hours when the big news broke back to Italy. "Finnish press: Kimi leaves the F1 circus in the end of the year", stated a daytime mag from Torino, La Stampa, on its website. "Kimi says goodbye to Ferrari and F1", reported Sportal pointing towards IS Veikkaaja. Sooner or later the same news will reach the English and Spanish sites - getting more and more a dramatic tone.

Even though I [the original writer] wouldn't bet my whole fortune for seeing Räikkönen driving a Ferrari next year, you should always remember, that rumours of getting fired haven't still got any proof behind themselves.

I browsed through the major British news agencies for nothing, however, the Spanish media (e.g. ABC.es) take Alonso driving for Ferrari next year as granted. :scared:

I got this from a Finnish TV channel's, MTV3's, website and translated into English:

I browsed through the major British news agencies for nothing, however, the Spanish media (e.g. ABC.es) take Alonso driving for Ferrari next year as granted. :scared:

But most of us spaniards know everything tabloids (and even newspapers) say must be taken with a tiny pinch of salt.

Most of us. Or so I hope...

However, seeing it in a finnish newspaper (a country I admire big time) made me decide to believe it.

However, seeing it in a finnish newspaper (a country I admire big time) made me decide to believe it.
Everybody has tabloids, even if they don't have a word for it. It could well be that a Finnish journalist saw the Photochopped cover of Alonso in Ferrari battle fatigues and took it as being legit without double-checking, and even if he did, something could easily be lost in translation between Italian and Finnish. These articles about Alonso going to Maranello tend to be written in such a way that they are presented as fact, not rumour.

They always do. ;)

Last year they also told us that Alonso is in 2009 driving for Ferrari. :D

But I wonder if he would really switch to Ferrari next Year how will it be with Massa, if Massa is slower then Hamilton then Alonso will be Happy, but what if Massa is as quick as Hamilton what is Alonso then going to do?

The same **** he did with McLaren? Or maybe Ferrari will give him the N°1 status and slow Massa down.

Everybody has tabloids, even if they don't have a word for it. It could well be that a Finnish journalist saw the Photochopped cover of Alonso in Ferrari battle fatigues and took it as being legit without double-checking, and even if he did, something could easily be lost in translation between Italian and Finnish. These articles about Alonso going to Maranello tend to be written in such a way that they are presented as fact, not rumour.

Alright. Now just let dream about Alonso in a red suit s'more, okay? :D

But I wonder if he would really switch to Ferrari next Year how will it be with Massa, if Massa is slower then Hamilton then Alonso will be Happy, but what if Massa is as quick as Hamilton what is Alonso then going to do?

You mean Alonso being slower than Massa, right? Then I'll tell you what he's going to do. Retire.

But I seriously doubt Massa can beat Alonso in more than two or three races. Beating a demotivated teammate such as Kimi can be done. But an overmotivated racer after getting into the team of his dreams? Mmmmmno, I don't think so. Not Alonso. The guy's proven to be able to do some miracles even in the most adverse situations. I mean, I'm still amazed at the 2~3 seconds per lap faster he was in that wet race of Hungary '06.

No not slower then Massa. I am wondering how he would behave if it turns out like at McLaren where Hamilton and Alonso had the same pace. Well of course not 100% but they were both able to beat each other and Alonso wasn´t happy with that situation.

He expected to be N°1 like at Renault where Flavio is looking after him and won´t give him any Teammate who could challenge him. He is a little bit like a diva that can be a problem like it was in 2007 at McLaren.

I don´t think the Ferrari guys would be happy about something like that to happen with Alonso and Massa.

But it seems its all ******** like I thought, I just red on a German website that Stefano Domenicali said: "This is the same thing like last year then they also said the same thing, so don´t belive the rumors belive the team and the facts!"

So no Alonso at Ferrari in 2010!

Well Alonso actually said he missed the rivalry with Hamilton, so perhaps he might be more inclined to put up with such a competition if it meant he could have competitive machinery.
I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Alonso return to McLaren actually or be paired with someone who could challenge him.

In my opinion, Alonso is just a rich stuck-up guy who's used to always winning and having everything just fed to him without him having to do much at all. Now that Renault sucks now, he wants to have a new successful team to kiss his ass, and now he's supposedly chasing Ferrari.

In my opinion, Alonso is just a rich stuck-up guy who's used to always winning and having everything just fed to him without him having to do much at all. Now that Renault sucks now, he wants to have a new successful team to kiss his ass, and now he's supposedly chasing Ferrari.

Er... Excuse me? You just happened to describe Hamilton, if there's anyone in the track that could be defined that way.

What does really amuse me is this:

...who's used to always winning and having everything just fed to him without him having to do much at all.

Shall we remember Alonso's trajectory:

2001 - Minardi
2002 - Renault's test driver
2003 - Renault
2004 - Renault
2005 - Renault
2006 - Renault
2007 - McLaren

2008 - Renault
2009 - Renault

It took him FIVE years to get to a competitive car (marked in bold). If you say Alonso had it all done for him, well... Care to tell us what you think of Raikkonen who, despite driving a F1 car in 2002 (and thus having one more chance than Alonso) and landing into the mighty McLaren years before the Renault started winning, didn't become a World Champion until after Alonso achieved it TWICE?

Thanks for your time.

Er... Excuse me? You just happened to describe Hamilton, if there's anyone in the track that could be defined that way.
(...)
Thanks for your time.

To PJ-FFL:

image removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

👎
I thought Alonso deserves more respect than that despite what he did at McLaren.

I'd like to add something. Yes, I admit Alonso used to be such a crybaby back when he was 22 years old, even the smallest mistakes or wrong-doings from others caused some irritation and drama from him. I guess he learnt that from Flav. But for the last two years, after the 'incident' with Lewis that made him sit down and start thinking about his actions for once, all he does in a race weekend is come, say if he'll finish inside or outside the points, race, achieve the best position a mediocre car like that can get (You've seen all the drivers making plenty of mistakes save for Button and Alonso 'till last week's warmup lap, but he's been finishing every damn race as fast and flawlessly as this year's Renault can reach), tell his impressions to the press and go back home. Pretty professional, pretty unlike the kiddo he used to be.

Also, he's known for being a good setupper (if that word even exists) and a better feedback when developing a car. Because, you know, that new front wing won't tell you it's faster all by itself, it's the driver who's gotta decide if it's a step in the right direction or not. A bad driver can stop the entire development of a car, if he can't play along with the new parts...

Back