Am I the only one underwhelmed by the car selection?

United States
United States
The cars we have are great, love the detail and breadth of the vehicles available. But this doesn't feel like a new game released in 2022 by browsing the dealership, it feels like a game that was released in 2016 that has had a few DLC/update vehicles added.

Where is the new C8 Corvette? Why aren't there any 2020/21/22 Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, etc? Hell, where IS Mercedes?! One 13yo car in the dealership? Are you joking?! The newest BMW road car is 8yo DLC from GT6, I'm 99% sure, lol. Last I checked these companies still make cars, no? I know covid made it hard to get many of them, but you can't tell me the supply issues are preventing you from modeling them! ffs... I'm not even talking hyper cars, just these company's average sport/"sporty" cars.
Not saying I was expecting every single vehicle to be new to the franchise, but I really was expecting between 75-100 cars to be debuting in GT7, especially since it's been a decade since the last mainline entry in the series. What we got is a great "who's who" of 2014, I'll give you that!

Couple that with the career/mission system only being half-finished (and that might be generous) and it feels like the game was just shoved out the door, ready or not. I know there are supposed to be updates bringing new cars/tracks/etc, but is it going to be a massive update with all the cars a game in this genre SHOULD have on release, or is it going to be a drip-feed of a few here, few there? I'd bet good money it's the latter.

Idk, the first day or two I was really impressed with the game, but once I started looking a little closer it seems far more accurate to call it a GT Sport new console refresh. Always online isn't making that claim seem very absurd either... Prove me wrong PD; I'd love nothing more than to see a huge update this week filling in all the gaps, showing that you actually opened your pocketbook and bought the rights to enough new cars to launch a new mainline title. But I won't be holding my breath...

one sentence you say it was rushed out then next sentence you ask them to put a massive update out within a week of launch. really shows you how little you know about making content
Yes, followed by a statement of "prove me wrong", indicating I 100% believe it was rushed out the door, but that I'd be glad to be wrong if all the content that SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE AT LAUNCH were to show up in the first update. Also said "I won't hold my breath" once again indicating I've very little faith this game will be up to launch standards in a reasonable amount of time. So I've really no idea what you're even getting at.

Oh, btw, I'm not a developer and I don't know the ins/outs of "developing content". You got me! Know what I am though? A consumer of the product... I have no need to understand content creation as that is NOT my job. My job as a consumer is to pay for the product, consume said product, and if all goes well I enjoy that product. Being a consumer also grants me license to critique the ever-loving **** out of it to my heart's desire, should it not meet my standards or expectations (within reason)
Based on my history with the series and being a consumer of games in general, I know what SHOULD be here at launch, and buddy, there's a whole lot of it I'm not seeing in this title.

My guess is PD focused on getting the game out with the basics right. This probably meant they haven't focused on developing new stuff, but getting the existing stuff from GTS in plus a few extras. That and getting the game basics ready absorbed all their resources.
I would bet they are now turning to new cars and one or two new circuits in the updates. If they are smart they already have some good stuff lined up.

To be fair in the beginning credits they said that the car designers are like 15 people or so. And we have 426 gorgeously designed to the minor detail cars. And there is not a single Playstation game with better looking cars. So sure the lack of C8, Mach 1, GT500 and for crying out loud Fiesta ST is obvious not to mention things like McLaren 620R or the new 720S GT3 car. Or even the new M3/M4 bmw hell even the previous generation M3 car or the new M4 GT3 car. But overall you should give credit for the hard work this 15 people put in for each to create 28.4 cars to that amazing detail. For me even if it's old cars it's amazing for example the analog boost gauge in my GTO ****ing works in cockpit view. Hopefully the DLC's will solve the issues with missing cars.

AMG variants started to use the 'Mercedes-AMG' branding circa 2018. So Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG has become Mercedes-AMG C63. The Mercedes-AMG branding is implemented as AMG in this game, and this is the reason why you have only one car on Mercedes.

Also, PD has never paid much attention for regular cars, as well as not trackworthy cars (even if they have high power). They usually focus on interesting cars or cars that are frequently seen on tracks, mostly because even if they implement those cars, barely anyone would drive them in game (for the exactly the same reason that no track regular would drive those cars regularly on track in real life). With that in mind, which do you think is missing (among the 20/21/22 Ford/Chevrolet/Dodge/Toyota/Honda/Mercedes/BMW models)? There are indeed some missing cars, but I would say at least the majority of them are implemented in one way or another.

FK8 is there. JW5 is there. AMG GT S/R/Black Series is there. G29 is missing but you got J29 instead. F90 is way too fat. G80/G82 is missing but this one also has become a borderline fatty. W206 63 isn't exactly out yet and also in the same shoes. C8 is missing but they usually implement Z06s instead of a base model, and C8 Z06 isn't exactly out yet. ZL1 1LE is there. Ford GT is there. S550 is there (GT350R). Challenger Hellcat is one of those fatty.

I'm not any more disappointed than I was when I saw the Official GT7 car list on GTP. I haven't looked at the list in detail, but i gathered every car from sport was being carried over. With a slightly better car count at launch than sport it wasn't hard to see there would be very few new cars in GT7

That being said, when taken at face value the disappointment doesn't realy hit you until then.

For 1 I was disappointed with the audi line up that's for sure. Again the only sole representation of the R8 road car is the old one..it just looked so sad. PD are rinsing that thing till kingdom come. The R8 lms evo stops me from giving the audii lineup a minus. Not to mention jaguar and mclaren. AM aswell but i only really care about the the new vantage and it's GT4 and GT3 variants. Infact the BAC and Radical dealers ( even though the line ups are old ) alone save the UK car dealer line up from being a complete let down.

I can imagine if lotus was still in the game it would only have the line up from GT6, w/o the standards....

The Porsche and Bmw dealership don't get let of the hook either. Idc about the vgt's i'm looking for 2018-2021 road cars.

On the other hand it was really cool to see the c63 and black series amg.

Well, we've known for a while what the car list would be like, so it wasn't a shock.

Still, starting off with a better list than GTS for sure.

Also, with updates hopefully we'll see that number increase to 500+ in the future.

My guess is PD focused on getting the game out with the basics right. This probably meant they haven't focused on developing new stuff, but getting the existing stuff from GTS in plus a few extras. That and getting the game basics ready absorbed all their resources.
I would bet they are now turning to new cars and one or two new circuits in the updates. If they are smart they already have some good stuff lined up.
I think the updates will bring us more than a 'couple of tracks' and a 'couple of cars'

I expect at least 7-10 tracks and 150-200 cars in 3 years of constant DLC's, assuming they're frequent as GT Sport.

I think we might end up to 550-620 cars and 40-45 locations by 2024-2025 if it get supported constantly

Well, 500 is the bare minimum acceptable with all the dlc we gonna get trough the years. They'll probably hold some finished extra stuff already that they didn't put at launch, for polish reasons maybe, but that could come very soon within the first updates, likely.

Last edited:
Yeah, clearly PD is holding a lot of the aforementioned cars for upcoming DLC cash grabs.
As I heard, it seems the updates and dlc will be free like GT Sport, maybe the only exception to this rule will probably be a GT7 Spec 2 edition with all the DLC inside or a later game edition including all the dlc with the base game put together

Yeah, clearly PD is holding a lot of the aforementioned cars for upcoming DLC cash grabs.
People said the exact same thing with GT Sport. Yet PD released a lot more cars as free updates.

Nothing suggests they are holding on to content.

Anyway...

I get the disappointment about the car list. There are some great gems in there, but certain brands are just bland. Others, like Opel and Lotus, are not even in the game. Hyundai has the same exact line up it had in GTS, they could use any of their recent N models. Not a single Audi RS model, or no new BMW M cars either. No LFA (which is a crime). Outdated race cars for certain brands. The list goes on and on. But, with more cars coming via update, there will always be excitement to see what they add to the game.

I've no idea why car count is so important to people. TBH I've little to no interest in road cars anyway and would love to see way more classes of race cars. Super tourers, V8 Supercars, 80's Group 5 monsters, CANAM ..... would be brilliant. I need quality more than quantity...i mean, who cares about a Honda Fit or 16 iterations f R34 skylines?

Last edited:
I'm more disappointed that we can't open doors, hoods, hear engine sounds, etc. I really enjoy some of the cars in my garage, yet i can't even admire them fully. Please, PD, add this in a future update.
That would be awesome for the immersion, I really hope we gonna get such things added with updates

For me the biggest issue is that playing with some cars in the game makes me wanna own them IRL: GTO Twin Turbo, E92 M3, Camaro ZL1 1LE, Porsche 996 GT3 etc. Obviously I can't do that but all of this cars have so unique feeling to them and bring a totally different experience that is really hard to chose just one. Also a friend of mine have 3000GT so I seen this gem IRL and what it can do on the road and it's amazing car.

Really? I can see that a lot of you are frustrated with this even if you won't explicitly say it. It doesn't mean you're discounting the work the devs put in by being miffed with the launch state, as I'm sure they're disappointed too. It's not the fault of the devs who model the cars, it's not the fault of the devs responsible for modeling the tracks, or building the netcode, creating the lighting engine, etc, etc. It's the fault of Kaz and the upper management at PD that this game is, for all intents and purposes, a GT Sport port with a proper GT tuning system added.

This is a new mainline entry and I'm out of things to do 4 days post-launch. How is that acceptable? Granted I don't race online in GT; when I want a sim racer I go to PC. GT has always been about the "gaminess" for me: The credit grind, unlocking vehicles through challenging events, tuning an average daily-driver into a track threat. I can tell you this, I sure as hell didn't finish GT4, GT5 or GT6 in four days... I played each of those titles for months following their launch, and then periodically came back for more over the course of years. I barely even played GT Sport yet I'm burnt-out on GT7 because I've already "collected" the lion's share of the cars on offer in that game, which means I already know exactly what to expect with most of the cars in this game, sans the new tuning options. The only thing I have to do at this point is grind the same race mindlessly for credits, and watch the used car/legend market for vehicles. Oh and collect my daily roulette ticket and pray I get an engine... I'm sorry, but that's not enough to keep me playing.

Perhaps this community's expectations had been tempered by following news of the game and discussing it amongst yourselves. While I used to post on here frequently during the GT5 and GT6 eras, I fell out (and forgot my acct info) with GT Sport as it wasn't my thing, as such I had only seen the official trailers released by PD and discussions had in the comment sections of those YT vids. Maybe that's why this is like a punch in the mouth to me as I was expecting GT5 or GT6 for a new console generation. A lot of that expectation was from one of the first trailers claiming this would be a return to the original GT formula, which it is, just being almost entirely devoid of content exclusive to this title or automotive innovation from the past 6-8 years... I was expecting a good number of cars released this decade, expecting tracks I've never driven, expecting the career mode to be intact at launch. Perhaps I wouldn't have been expecting those things had I followed the news of the game over the last few years, but I don't think it's unreasonable to have my stated expectations for the first numbered GT in a decade that was releasing on the newest console.

To be clear, I'm exasperated with PD and Kaz, not the devs that do the hard work whom have no say in what is added (and when it's added) and definitely not the gtplanet community. Just wanted to get that out there lest anyone think I'm targeting them specifically.

Apologies for the rant, lol

I've no idea why car count is so important to people. TBH I've little to no interest in road cars anyway and would love to see way more classes of race cars. Super tourers, V8 Supercars, 80's Group 5 monsters, CANAM ..... would be brilliant. I need quality more than quantity...i mean, who cares about a Honda Fit or 16 iterations f R34 skylines?
With the classes you mentioned, you literally showed why car count is important. Then you have your own preference for race cars, does that mean that the game should have more race cars and less road cars? Of course not, everyone will have their own preference, which, then again, means that quantity is important to please as many people as possible.

And no one mentioned 16 iterations of R34s either.

Where is the new C8 Corvette? Why aren't there any 2020/21/22 Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Honda, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, etc? Hell, where IS Mercedes?!

You obviously don´t know how software development and testing processes work.
During 2021 they have been doing mostly testing. We should be thankful if we got a few cars here and there for those years you mention.

Also, Polyphony already showed they do great DLC, so why worry?

You obviously don´t know how software development and testing processes work.
During 2021 they have been doing mostly testing. We should be thankful if we got a few cars here and there for those years you mention.

Also, Polyphony already showed they do great DLC, so why worry?
Think it's you who doesn't know. Car modellers only model cars. That's all they do. They don't start testing and debugging in the last year of development. Same for the people recording the sounds, or doing the physics. Everyone has their jobs, and there is no reason they can't still send in new car models to add in the last year of development.

Forza Horizon 5 managed to launch with a much larger number of recent model cars, again disproving your theory.

I think most of us recall the GTS launch with those car and track numbers. It wasn't pretty numbers-wise. But they kept cranking out cars and tracks over the years. I expect the same to happen with GT7. Maybe that is why there's all those MACROtransactions :lol: To help pay for more modelers, devs, etc(?).

And, have you seen the number of cars in ACC? GT7 doesn't seem so bad to me.

Jerome

I don't see how you can call it a GT Sport refresh when GT7 has over 450 cars from day one and GT Sport had 150. Compared with older games it doesn't seem like much but it is worth pointing out that the hundreds of cars in those games were just reskinned generic car models and a good percentage drove exactly the same. GT7 is the first game where almost all 450 day one release cars are unique in performance even marginally. That takes a lot of time and effort, which is why it is a good game.

I don't see how you can call it a GT Sport refresh when GT7 has over 450 cars from day one and GT Sport had 150. Compared with older games it doesn't seem like much but it is worth pointing out that the hundreds of cars in those games were just reskinned generic car models and a good percentage drove exactly the same. GT7 is the first game where almost all 450 day one release cars are unique in performance even marginally. That takes a lot of time and effort, which is why it is a good game.
They're obviously talking about GTS at the end of its life, not the start. There are 54 totally brand new cars over GTS, plus 32 from older games. The other 338 come from GTS as of today.

Yup, car list is perhaps one of the main reasons why I didn’t buy gt at launch and didn’t bother looking for a PS5.
I have bought all GT games so far but the guys in Japan have been stuck for years recycling content which is reflected in full in the car list.
I don’t care about gr cars (talking about GT old enthusiasts) but I want the latest sports cars.
I never bought an Xbox on the other hand but from what I’ve seen in the past the guys at Forza have a much better understanding of what people look for in a car lineup.
I’ll probably buy gt for PS4 at 20 bucks until the next forza comes out on the real next gen (not cross gen).

They're obviously talking about GTS at the end of its life, not the start. There are 54 totally brand new cars over GTS, plus 32 from older games. The other 338 come from GTS as of today.
Then I'm not sure what the OP is expecting. Obviously cars from GTS are going to be in GT7. Was the OP expecting a full and total remake of each model of car for GT7? And as time goes on GT7 will add new cars. Point is, GT7 is in a much better place at launch than GTS was

Then I'm not sure what the OP is expecting. Obviously cars from GTS are going to be in GT7. Was the OP expecting a full and total remake of each model of car for GT7? And as time goes on GT7 will add new cars. Point is, GT7 is in a much better place at launch than GTS was
More than 54 brand new cars, I imagine. GT6 had around 90, for example.

I thought GT3 was disappointing - 200 car garage, but less than 200 cars to choose from. And GT2 was frustrating - 600+ cars but only 100 slots in the garage. I'm sure through updates and DLC we'll see the list grow.

Yes, followed by a statement of "prove me wrong", indicating I 100% believe it was rushed out the door, but that I'd be glad to be wrong if all the content that SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE AT LAUNCH were to show up in the first update. Also said "I won't hold my breath" once again indicating I've very little faith this game will be up to launch standards in a reasonable amount of time. So I've really no idea what you're even getting at.

Oh, btw, I'm not a developer and I don't know the ins/outs of "developing content". You got me! Know what I am though? A consumer of the product... I have no need to understand content creation as that is NOT my job. My job as a consumer is to pay for the product, consume said product, and if all goes well I enjoy that product. Being a consumer also grants me license to critique the ever-loving **** out of it to my heart's desire, should it not meet my standards or expectations (within reason)
Based on my history with the series and being a consumer of games in general, I know what SHOULD be here at launch, and buddy, there's a whole lot of it I'm not seeing in this title.
"Should have been there are at launch"...says who? Since GT5, content has been added post launch.

Also, if they provided double the content, would you pay double the price? They went the pure content route with GT5 and GT6 by including the low res cars, would that have made you happy? It didn't make many happy back then.

Millions of copies are sold and each soul desires that ONE car of THEIR dreams. You can't please everyone.

Back