America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
So America, you seem to have about two years of democracy left, make the most of it.
I don't think it's that much time. If Republicans take back the House and Senate this fall I think you're going to see a flurry of legislation passed with the aim of dismantling every single bit of Democracy that we have left. You're going to see a whole host of election related bills passed that give state legislatures authority to send their own electors regardless of how the election went in their state, allow secretaries of state to nullify specific region results, allow "poll monitors" otherwise known as right wing thugs to "make sure things go right".

And that's just in the first few months of a Republican held Congress. Now hoping they do not get enough seats to override certain vetoes on all of this crap. But they are definitely going to have a ton of these trial runs that they can go back to their nutjob base with to say "We need to get the White House back in 2024 to get things done".

Last edited:
It turns out that the attempted witness tampering that Liz Cheney called out was directed at Cassidy Hutchinso.

Looks like revealing the specific words of the threat were to signal to the intermediary who penned these words that the J6C is coming after them, so it’s time to squeal and incriminate Mark Meadows, and so on to Trump.

Pass the popcorn 🍿

And that's just in the first few months of a Republican held Congress.
They'd still need a large enough majority to overrule a presidential veto though. I mean I can't see Biden winning in 2024 (or really any Democrat) so, in theory, at least, some of the more asinine BS Congress will attempt to push through early on could and should get stonewalled with a veto. Now in two years time though, it's likely going to be a bloodbath.

Momentum is certainly in the GOP favor going into the midterms, but the extremism on clear display is doing them no favors with moderates (of which I consider myself a member) who are probably feeling pretty stuck right now between economic concerns (genuine) and, you know, preserving the country. Anyone who has even a slightly nuanced attitude towards things like abortion are probably going to be very concerned about the clerical-fascist fundamentalist moves that are happening now. Adam K is absolutely correct that the vocal right is lurching itself towards a Christian-Taliban worldview, which is not going to sit very well with the Ayn Randian right. Which Cleric-ruled nations on earth are paradigms of reason, personal freedom, liberty, and justice? Saudi Arabia? Iran? Come on...

Here's what I want to happen. I want Trump & Desantis to get into a massive fight and I want Trump to do the Trump thing, be a bad loser. I want him to start his own party, just as he did with his own social network - he could even call it Truth! I want there to be a Conservative political civil war (you know that Trump wouldn't give a ****) that basically extracts all the truly nuts people from that coalition and deposits them into Trump's Truth party which will be totally impotent with probably <20% of the electorate. At that point, the actual GOP will have no choice but to moderate it's extremist positions else face hugely diminished standing at the Federal level. Of course, this scenario runs the risk of the Democratic party becoming too powerful and the progressive wing could get just as crazy...

Trump was busy giving the award out to people like Rush Limbaugh, Rep. Jim Jordan, and Rep. Devin Nunez.

Last edited:
1656710645140.png

Were the "significant obstacles" Steve Jobs overcame how much of a conceited asshole he was, and were "the most vulnerable among us" people who owned Apple stock in the mid-90s?

Because him being on Biden's list sticks out about as much as Trump handing one out to Rush Limbaugh does.

Last edited:
So America, you seem to have about two years of democracy left, make the most of it.
Luckily we have some upcoming petty distractions like cheap beer, fireworks, and a possible day off from work (that is, if you're fortunate).

Luckily we have some upcoming petty distractions like cheap beer, fireworks, and a possible day off from work (that is, if you're fortunate).
I'm working, but I volunteered. No wife, no kids, so I might as well get the time and a half and let someone with a family off the hook.

View attachment 1168196

Were the "significant obstacles" Steve Jobs overcame how much of a conceited asshole he was, and were "the most vulnerable among us" people who owned Apple stock in the mid-90s?

Because him being on Biden's list sticks out about as much as Trump handing one out to Rush Limbaugh does.
Steve Jobs capitalismed the **** out of this country. I defy you to come up with a better example of raw, unadulterated freedoming.

Liz Cheney as the rational one makes me very uncomfortable. Still, she is getting absolutely trounced because the base is just that aggressively ****ing stupid.

The lady in blue pushed back against Cheney on the basis that Jan 6 was an entire 18 months ago, and now we have something else to worry about, like gasoline prices.

Apparently, if you wait a while, an attempted coup doesn’t look like anything to worry about, and Trump looks like a great leader.

The lady in blue pushed back against Cheney on the basis that Jan 6 was an entire 18 months ago, and now we have something else to worry about, like gasoline prices.

Apparently, if you wait a while, an attempted coup doesn’t look like anything to worry about, and Trump looks like a great leader.
They do this a lot. They frequently do this in the same breath that they reject the validity of the 2020 presidential election.

Edit:

Last edited:
Monday and Tuesday off. Oh and I took vacation today (Friday). 😁

I'm working, but I volunteered. No wife, no kids, so I might as well get the time and a half and let someone with a family off the hook.
Holidays are double time for me, but I couldn't work if I wanted to, whole site is closed.

I'm off work on the 4th. The village behind my apartment put on a fireworks show that I just have to walk out on my patio to see. I have to look through the trees a little but I can still see it.

I'm donning my tinfoil hat for a moment, but the coincidence of SCOTUS releasing these right-w..., sorry,  originalist rulings during the 1/6 hearings is making me suspicious. On the one hand, anyone to the left of Joe Manchin is decrying and protesting SCOTUS decisions, and at the same time hoping for the hearings to deal a killing blow to the GQP. It's perfect fodder for Right Trash to fearmonger about the Democrats creating a parallel legal system that'll subject any God-fearing, red-blooded patriotic American to Stalinist show trials.

DK
I'm donning my tinfoil hat for a moment, but the coincidence of SCOTUS releasing these right-w..., sorry,  originalist rulings during the 1/6 hearings is making me suspicious. On the one hand, anyone to the left of Joe Manchin is decrying and protesting SCOTUS decisions, and at the same time hoping for the hearings to deal a killing blow to the GQP. It's perfect fodder for Right Trash to fearmonger about the Democrats creating a parallel legal system that'll subject any God-fearing, red-blooded patriotic American to Stalinist show trials.
You want to talk about show trials, if Republicans win both houses of Congress this fall, you will see a flurry of show trials aimed at proving the 2020 election was stolen. All of these right wing nutjobs will now be given a public platform to bring their idiotic conspiracy theories to light with the blessing of elected officials. I'm sure Mike Lindell will be given plenty of air time.

So Chicago (functionally) hides their crime statistics, and even if you manage to get them anyway they overreport how many crimes they actually solve by 100%?

Definitely sounds like the CPD.

About goddamn time. Whether right or wrong, Democrats need to do something instead of Tweeting how outraged they are and thinking Republicans will act in good faith.
Manchin and Sinema have come out against it, exactly as before. This is not new ground. There are two people in the way.

Manchin and Sinema have come out against it, exactly as before. This is not new ground. There are two people in the way.
And Biden still needs to do something about them. Biden is the de facto leader of the Democratic Party and he needs to act like it. There's almost certainly a compromise to be had and the party itself should absolutely threaten both of them with getting primaried in 2024. The Democratic Party won't do this though, just like they won't do much of anything. Not that I mind them sitting idly by and doing nothing, it's far better than the Republicans doing something deconstructive for the country. Still, we're getting dangerously close to a complete authoritarian takeover of the federal government if things continue the way they are. Things need to get codified into law because it's clear the Supreme Court is no longer acting like the non-partisan government branch that it was intended to be and Republicans absolutely cannot be trusted.

It just annoys me how feckless the Democrats are when the Republicans are so efficient. The Democrats aren't going to defeat the dangerous ideologies of the Republican Party without actively working at it. Tweeting and drumming up fundraising isn't going to do anything, but right now that seems like what the Democrat's strategy is.

There was a mass shooting in Highland Park, IL, an affluent northern suburb. 6 people were killed and over 20 we're wounded. The shooter used a high powered rifle from a rooftop.

The police have recently captured a person of interest.

Last edited:
Back