America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Trump wants to renegotiate the terms of trade with Canada because Canada's dairy industry is protected by tarriffs and quotas. Trump argues that this is bad for American dairy farmers:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/ru...da-dairy-opens-old-debate/8456778?pfmredir=ms

But Trump's economic policies hinged on "putting America first". He has alluded to a protectionist agenda to benefit American industry. So why is he allowed to pursue protectionism to promote American industry, but criticise other countries for pursuing protectionism that promotes their own industries?

Trump wants to renegotiate the terms of trade with Canada because Canada's dairy industry is protected by tarriffs and quotas. Trump argues that this is bad for American dairy farmers:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/ru...da-dairy-opens-old-debate/8456778?pfmredir=ms

But Trump's economic policies hinged on "putting America first". He has alluded to a protectionist agenda to benefit American industry. So why is he allowed to pursue protectionism to promote American industry, but criticise other countries for pursuing protectionism that promotes their own industries?

Why would he not be allowed to pursue protectionism for American industry when other countries do the same?

The reality is that both Trump and "Canada" are wrong.

Because Trump's not really interested in "fair trade", he's interested in "winning" & thinks the US can & should bully other countries to bend to US interests.

The American government, of course, massively subsidizes sectors of the US agricultural industry.

Put Danoff in charge - he'll sort it all out ...

Not yo be outdone by United Airlines, American Airlines have come up with their own PR disaster:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...ds-employee-over-fight-with-passenger/8464216

Why would he not be allowed to pursue protectionism for American industry when other countries do the same?
The point I am trying to make is that he's being a hypocrite. He wants to get the "best deal" for American workers, which is fair enough. But in that case, why shouldn't Justin Trudeau be allowed to pursue the "best deal" for Canadian workers? Trump has no right to promote protectionism that is in the interests on American workers, but cry foul over protectionism that isn't in their interests.

Not yo be outdone by United Airlines, American Airlines have come up with their own PR disaster:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...ds-employee-over-fight-with-passenger/8464216

I don't believe that's anywhere near United's PR disaster. American apologized to the customer, upgraded her ticket, and immediately disciplined the employee involved.

Contrast that with United's official response to their incident.

Incidentally the article has an inaccuracy; it refers to the United flight as having been overbooked. In fact the flight was not overbooked; rather United took back the seat they'd already sold and allowed the passenger to occupy, and gave it to a United employee.

The point I am trying to make is that he's being a hypocrite. He wants to get the "best deal" for American workers, which is fair enough. But in that case, why shouldn't Justin Trudeau be allowed to pursue the "best deal" for Canadian workers? Trump has no right to promote protectionism that is in the interests on American workers, but cry foul over protectionism that isn't in their interests.

I don't think he's being a hypocrite ... & he's got every "right". Trump's never pretended to care about the interests of people outside the US - his policy is "America First". Whether this is a wise policy is an entirely different matter.

The world's economy is too integrated to separate into national blocs - even such a big bloc as the United States. The United States is not in a position to dictate terms to the rest of the world & the consequences of national protectionism spreading across the globe would be catastrophic for living standards everywhere, including the US ... not to mention the likely political & military ramifications.

Guess Who Just "Dissed" Obama as Responsible for Dems Collapse?
https://www.superstation95.com/index.php/world/3724

588484ffa523109f9167ec87aae51615_XL.jpg

Slowly, very slowly, prominent Democrats are starting to admit the obvious: that Barack Obama’s presidency has been a disaster for their party, leading it to depths unmatched in the last 90 years. The figure of over 1000 legislative seats lost to the Republicans is but one marker. The absence of a bench, leaving the party’s congressional leadership with an average age in the seventies is a serious problem for a political faction dependent on the youth vote.

Rep. Keith Ellison (D., Minn.) spoke Wednesday at the University of Minnesota, where he said that former President Barack Obama deserved some of the blame for the Democrats collapsing in 2016.

When you're voting for your own governor, does whoever is President factor into that?

Sounds a bit like blame shifting to me.

When you're voting for your own governor, does whoever is President factor into that?

Sounds a bit like blame shifting to me.
It should. Say the president is Dem and your governor is Rep. Wouldn't you vote Dem so your governor can help with votes for the president? Same goes if you switch parties.

Let's switch it up say the president is Dem and the governor is Dem and you want a Rep government in the future. You can't vote out the president so you vote for Rep to hinder the Dem president. Same goes if you switch parties.

It's not blame shifting. Obama had people drinking the Kool-Aid and saw a boost to the party. People saw through the lies and started voting to hinder Obama.
When I voted for Trump I checked anyone Rep to help him, obviously it's not working how I hoped the party would back him, so I'll deal with that in 2018.

That's the beautiful thing about Americas voting system. We can vote someone out when we vote, we're not stuck with someone and their minions till they die.

That's all protectionism is... crying foul over a free market exchange. Whether you do it domestically or internationally makes no difference - it's just saying that a level playing field isn't tilted sufficiently in favor of the group you want it tilted toward. Of course he's going to complain about bias against American goods in other countries. He's already complaining about how American goods aren't sufficiently biased in favor of domestically.

It's all very consistent, as @Biggles says. There will be no recognition that Canada has just as much right to subsidize it's goods as America does, because regardless of where it happens, the US or Canada, Trump's favorite group (Americans) are seen as losing out.

Linking Breitbart, but at this point, as long as it doesn't talk about Trump directly, then it should be fine as is in this case.

Mark Levin's Landmark Legal Foundation files an Amicus brief with the FISA court to ask it to investigate the leaking of surveillance in relation of earlier rulings. His particular target is Susan Rice, who sought to "unmask" illegally names of Trump transition team members who has met with Russian officials that was placed under surveillance by the Justice Department - an operation that was authorized by the FISA court.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...gal-foundation-files-brief-investigate-leaks/

His particular target is Susan Rice, who sought to "unmask" illegally names of Trump transition team members who has met with Russian officials that was placed under surveillance by the Justice Department - an operation that was authorized by the FISA court.

Illegally or approved by a court as being within her remit - which is it?

Illegally or approved by a court as being within her remit - which is it?
I think I made it perfectly clear. The surveillance was okayed by the court, but her request to "Unmask" the names of the names of the Americans for whatever reason is what is the legal issue here.

In fact, you can read the whole Amicus brief here if you care to do some night time reading for yourself.

Donald Trump is being sued ...
Levi and his family believe they are already seeing the effects of climate change in the local sand dunes, which are nesting territory for sea turtles.

"It makes me really sad seeing how much dune we've lost," Levi said.

"When I went out on the beach after the hurricane, I was just crying because there was so much dune lost."
Laughable.

Laughable that somebody's upset because a place they love is vanishing or some other reason? That seemed to be a strange post.
Laughable that they connect a single weather incident, in this case a hurricane, to "climate change". Hurricanes have been occurring for all of recorded history and sometimes, gasp, even up the east coast.
#broscience

But you can do that with any single incidence within an increasing pattern, no? #actualREALscienceoffofscientists
Your "real" scientists said:
Several recent models suggest that the frequency of Atlantic tropical cyclones could decrease as the climate warms. However, these models are unable to reproduce storms of category 3 or higher intensity.
Sandy was a category 2 which puts it onto the decreased cyclone activity side of things according to your own source.

You were saying?

Regardless, attributing a single weather event to climate change is ridiculous no matter what the model says, even if your own model predicts a decrease in storms of category 2 or lower.

Sandy was a category 2 which puts it onto the decreased cyclone activity side of things according to your own source.

You were saying?

Astonishing that you were able to so aptly quote mine from such a short abstract. Fewer tropical cyclones, more storms of higher intensity. You're also inferring decreased cyclone activity incorrectly given that the abstract shows a cumulative increase, but hey. I'll try to get the paper later if it'll come out of JSTOR for me.

Latest Posts

Back