America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,723 comments
Here's another thing I don't get. Though I've heard this is a NE thing, I don't ever remember them in Maine, when/where I was a kid.

marshmallow-fluff-sandwiches.jpg

Why?

I was born and raised in Vermont. Fluffernutter sandwiches were a staple to me. Love, love. love these. Though, that bread needs to be toasted.
Fluff is different than the marshmallow cream you might find in the stores. Yes, it’s still marshmallow but it’s lighter, airier, creamier than the other brands.
Fluff also makes a raspberry and chocolate flavors. They are pretty bad to me though.

Last edited:
I was born and raised in Vermont. Fluffernutter sandwiches were a staple to me. Love, love. love these. Though, that bread needs to be toasted.
Fluff is different than the marshmallow cream you might find in the stores. Yes, it’s still marshmallow but it’s lighter, airier, creamier than the other brands.
Fluff also makes a raspberry and chocolate flavors. They are pretty awe full to me though.

Thanks for the description, i have never knew about Fluffernutter...

By the sound of it... i think i would enjoy it.
Sweet paste on a piece of bread, is no difference from Nutella or Peanut Butter Jelly on a Sandwich

https%3A%2F%2Fstorage.googleapis.com%2Fgen-atmedia%2F3%2F2012%2F09%2F3250046c157a1e4eac1e972c3f8c7ed8dd9cfc1b.jpeg

peanut_butter_jelly-1W.jpg

by the way:
tiavj476wr9y.jpg

So, anyone here hear about the CHAZ (Capital Hill Autonomous Zone) in Seattle right now? Depending in the source, its either a group that is trying to show that citizens don't need police to ensure a safe city and are trying to drive policy change in Seattle and across Washington. Or its a group of anarchists that have overtaken and occupied several blocks of Seattle that are extorting businesses and local residence for protection money, hell bent on starting the second civil war. What it really is is likely a mix of the two. But its wild that it's happened and even more wild that I've not read some crazy tweet from the Trumpster

Edit: correcting some grammar

Where is @Dotini on all of this?

Where is @Dotini on all of this?
I'm at home playing video games and gearing up for going fishing. :)

But my total guess is that CHAZ is part of a social experiment going on after the SPD abandoned the East Precinct earlier in the week. The major and police chief are probably among the authors. They have a lot a stake. I briefly read a couple of online articles (one was on the scene reporting by the Seattle Times), and both mentioned armed civilians in the zone, patrolling with long and short guns, openly carried. I'm not going down there to investigate, believe me. :D

Last edited:
So, anyone here hear about the CHAZ (Capital Hill Autonomous Zone) in Seattle right now? Depending in the source, its either a group that is trying to show that citizens don't need police to ensure a safe city and are trying to drive policy change in Seattle and across Washington. Or its a group of anarchists that have overtaken and occupied several blocks of Seattle that are extorting businesses and local residence for protection money, hell bent on starting the second civil war. What it really is is likely a mix of the two. But its wild that it's happened and even more wild that I've not read some crazy tweet from the Trumpster

The only thing concerning about it is a recent video surrounding a guy name Raz Simone being associated with it. He's becoming more of a meme & being mocked, but I think the video of interest centers on him chasing someone for spray painting over someone else' picture, assaulting them, proclaiming, "We're the police now", and passing out 2 rifles to people he met that day. This supposedly took place just a couple days before CHAZ was setup & the two men apologized, but I think most people supporting CHAZ's goal (whatever it is) agree Raz's recent attitude on video doesn't need to be in that circle.

Other than him, it sounds like something that will fizzle out. Lot of people saying it's not BLM protesters, just more so 20-something kids looking for a place to have fun.

It's more the former than the latter. The SPD Police Chief just walked back on the claims that people in the CHAZ are extorting business and residents, saying it was just "anecdotal".

CHAZ feels kind of like... a street fair right now.

Interesting thing is though, prior to SPD leaving the East Precinct, that area was the focus of the media's attempt to tell a tale of violence and lawlessness. After SPD left, that area's turned 180 degrees and has been largely peaceful.

The most of interesting part is they're grabbing random bits of fencing to try and build a wall around it.

This is turning into a Fallout raider camp.

...I'd like to add something to the discussion of the "Coke v Pepsi" as a non-American who's been to America.

Both Coke and Pepsi taste different in South Africa compared to the US. I think they use different "formulation" for a bunch of reasons. Having said that, Pepsi and Mountain Dew (Citrus Blast!) all the way.

Oh, and we don't get Dr. Pepper here. Wonder what that tastes like...

Oh, and we don't get Dr. Pepper here. Wonder what that tastes like...

It's really hard to explain what Dr. Pepper tastes like. The closest thing I can think of is picture Cherry Coca-Cola and root beer mixed together. It apparently has prune juice in it too, but I've never had prune juice so I'm not sure what that tastes like. Supposedly, to those outside of America, it tastes like cough medicine.

Looks like you can buy it through here and it's R 410, which according to Google is $24 or roughly $1 per can. That doesn't seem that expensive, although you're stuck with 24 of them if you hate it.

It's really hard to explain what Dr. Pepper tastes like. The closest thing I can think of is picture Cherry Coca-Cola and root beer mixed together. It apparently has prune juice in it too, but I've never had prune juice so I'm not sure what that tastes like. Supposedly, to those outside of America, it tastes like cough medicine.

Looks like you can buy it through here and it's R 410, which according to Google is $24 or roughly $1 per can. That doesn't seem that expensive, although you're stuck with 24 of them if you hate it.

...Takealot is the local version of Amazon and they do alright in terms of prompt delivery. After reading your description plus the single review found on the page you linked, I'm much, much, muuuch more disinclined to try it out now.

...Takealot is the local version of Amazon and they do alright in terms of prompt delivery. After reading your description plus the single review found on the page you linked, I'm much, much, muuuch more disinclined to try it out now.
I'll say Dr. Pepper has a more Vannila/Coke taste. To me...

It's pretty good. I don't drink prune juice (cause it's not great), but it does kinda taste like putting a hint of prune juice in coke, and it goes really well together.

I also thought peanut butter and pickle sandwiches sounds liked the most disgusting combination one could ever conceive. And those flavors are actually quite complementary and work well. Sometimes food is surprising.

r-PBP3-403xFB.jpg

I'll say Dr. Pepper has a more Vannila/Coke taste. To me...
There's definitely something else going on there, but I'm inclined to agree.

I haven't had Dr. Pepper in ages (or Coke, for that matter; though I have had it more recently), but there's definitely a fruitiness that simply isn't present in Coke--maybe it's the prune juice. A bit more spice as well. I definitely pick up on cinnamon and cardamom in Coke, and I think they're amplified in Dr. Pepper. It also doesn't seem to have quite the citrus pop that Coke does.

It's pretty good. I don't drink prune juice (cause it's not great), but it does kinda taste like putting a hint of prune juice in coke, and it goes really well together.

I also thought peanut butter and pickle sandwiches sounds liked the most disgusting combination one could ever conceive. And those flavors are actually quite complementary and work well. Sometimes food is surprising.

r-PBP3-403xFB.jpg

Sweet or sour pickles? I like to spread a layer of Sun-Pat (a popular local brand of pb) on my egg and bacon sandwich in the morning, gives it that extra something.

Sweet or sour pickles? I like to spread a layer of Sun-Pat (a popular local brand of pb) on my egg and bacon sandwich in the morning, gives it that extra something.
While I don't care much for sweet pickles, I'm thinking they may actually be the way to go there. They still have the brineyness ("brininess"?) to cut through the richness of the peanut butter, but the sweetness plays nice with the savory peanuts.

I still stand by an Elvis. Peanut butter, banana and bacon, grilled. Sometimes I'll even use cinnamon-raisin bread, despite not being a big fan of cinnamon.

I would agree on Dr Pepper tasting like cherry Coke. Maybe like a coke zero cherry with less focus on the cherry. I don't taste any vanilla in Dr Pepper.

It's smoother than cherry coke. Cherry coke has a bit of a too much salt quality to it. Diet version is also pretty good.

I probably haven't had a Dr. Pepper in 20+ years. (Ironically, it's my wife's step-father's favorite soda). And yes, I have a hard time remembering and trying to describe the taste. I mean, how would you even describe the taste of Cola to somebody who's never had it. And I was never really a Dr. Pepper fan, (that's putting it mildly) but I don't think it's QUITE as vile as what you describe above. :lol:

Not true about the cough medicine. OK, maybe Owbridges... It always struck me as tasting like a combination of other drinks though. Cherry Coke may be saltier but I think it has the edge.

I probably haven't had a Dr. Pepper in 20+ years. (Ironically, it's my wife's step-father's favorite soda). And yes, I have a hard time remembering and trying to describe the taste. I mean, how would you even describe the taste of Cola to somebody who's never had it. And I was never really a Dr. Pepper fan, (that's putting it mildly) but I don't think it's QUITE as vile as what you describe above. :lol:

I'm showing my age here (54) but to me Dr. Pepper tasted better when it came in glass bottles. I know you can get Coke in stores in the classic smaller glass bottles but I don't remember seeing either Pepsi or Dr. Pepper available that way. Pepsi came out with the "Made with real sugar" version a couple of years ago that closely resembles what it used to taste like in glass bottles many years ago.

Speaking of soft drinks that taste like medicine, who here has dared to try Moxie?

220px-2018_Moxie_can.jpg

Having lived in Maine, it was inescapable for me.

I love how accusatory their mascot is:
1024px-Moxie_soda%2C_full_logo.svg.png

I don't recall even seeing it, let alone trying it.

Some time back, I had a craft soda that was meant to taste like a gin and tonic. It did, sort of...I mean, definitely not a good one...but it definitely had a medicinal quality.

Speaking of soft drinks that taste like medicine, who here has dared to try Moxie?

220px-2018_Moxie_can.jpg

Having lived in Maine, it was inescapable for me.

I love how accusatory their mascot is:
1024px-Moxie_soda%2C_full_logo.svg.png

Their logo looks like it's straight out of the 1920's with that guy's shirt collar. Regional soft drinks can sometimes be downright nasty.

I know one here in the south during my childhood was Double Cola. I can't really remember what it tasted like but each time we went to my uncle's house they had Double Cola. I figured they had gone out of business but they actually are still around. I'll have to remember to look in the store next time to see if they're still there.

Here is what I think they looked like when I was young.
s-l400.jpg

And what their current look is.
482004_496395203720527_1500365811_n.jpg

RC Cola is still available but I don't know if it's more than just down south. It's actually not that bad to me.

rc-cola-soda.jpg

Sundrop is somewhere between Mountain Dew and Sprite to me and I know it's still in stores today.

8291472.jpg

Vannila/Coke taste.

...I definitely had that before and don't remember much about it. Probably was too bland for my liking. It was on sale here briefly before being taken off the shelves for good. No one bought it, it seems.

peanut butter and pickle sandwiches

That does sound truly vile. My father loves peanut butter, so maybe I'll get him to try this combo first and see what he has to say about it.

Sometimes food is surprising

I completely agree. It can be a nasty surprise, though.

RC is better than Pepsi but not as good as Coke. Simples.

Edit: Anyone here ever have a cream coke? That used to be a treat I'd have with my daughter. Splash of cream in the bottom of a glass, fill with ice and pour Coke. Cream is kind of necessary because it withstands acidification better than milk, but the latter is fine if you consume it fast enough and/or don't mind a little curdling.

Back