America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,723 comments
Definitely. Aleppo pepper is also nice.

My ultimate fry condiment is my own*, and consists of mushrooms and shallots sautéed until browned and the moisture has been drawn out, add fresh thyme, brown stock (beef or veal, depending on how indulgent you're feeling) and a dry white wine. Reduce to concentrate and emulsify in small cubes of frozen butter.

You need a sturdy potato for it.

*My own as a fry condiment, that is. There's nothing new there in terms of the concoction.

Sauce andalouse is good; combine mayo and tomato paste or ketchup and minced red peppers. Charred peppers take it up a notch.

worse-stir-sure

All of which are the American pronunciations of those words.

Pity you don't get a choice when it comes to the Syphilis.

I retain the shire. The alternative strikes me as an omission.

Annie's vegan Worcestershire is great stuff. I honestly don't care that it's vegan; it has a rounder flavor than something like Lea & Perrin's. It's a glutamic bomb derived from mushrooms rather than anchovies.

I would like to point out (FWIW) that in Worcester (MA) it is pronounced wuss-ta.

Does "coke" ever refer to all carbonated, syrup-based soft drinks? Or is it just dark ones? I don't understand that. Is "coke" being confused with "cola"?

Does "coke" ever refer to all carbonated, syrup-based soft drinks? Or is it just dark ones? I don't understand that. Is "coke" being confused with "cola"?

In some Dixie states, I believe that coke is the catch-all term.

Take what you will from these series of maps I've always found interesting.

spcMap.png

spcMap.png
Wow, that sounds like some European countries who use their language's equivalent of "lemonade" for everything, lemon or not.

I wonder how those states differentiate between cherry(-flavoured) coke and plain cherryade.

In my experience "Coke" is usually used to refer to Coca-Cola itself, otherwise it's typically "soda." Honestly, most of the time I think people refer to a soda by its specific brand-name here.

In middle school I had an instructor who hailed from Michigan, and instinctively called all forms of soda "pop." Needless to say, it was a very stange phrase for a bunch of 6th-grade Floridians to hear.

spcMap.png
That's so weird, because the only time I've heard "coke" refer to anything other than Coca-Cola is when it refers to a neutral, dark cola like Pepsi or RC. Not even Dr. Pepper, which is very much not neutral.

I mostly hear "soda", but I hear "cola" a lot. Like...I'm wondering if "cola" is being lumped in with "coke" on that map.

We call everything Coke even if it is a Pepsi product.
Just cause one asks if you want a Coke, you don't have to get a Coke. ;)
Heresy!!!

Coke is my cola. Pepsi is just awful.

spcMap.png

You would be correct sir. Lived all my life in Alabama and I've always referred to any kind of dark soda as "coke". But that's for more generic times like if someone is going to make a lunch run to a fast food place I would always say "get me a double cheeseburger combo and a coke" but that means whichever one they have if they are a Pepsi place then I'm good with that too. I'll take either Coke or Pepsi, it doesn't matter to me. Although I do buy Pepsi for my home use.

I did learn a lesson about 18 years or so ago when we would go up to Indianapolis for the F1 USGP and that was not to ask for sweet tea in a restaurant up there. They look at you like you're from Pluto or something. You want sweet tea? Here's the bowl the the sugar and sweetener packets in them, make it yourself.

North Texas (DFW Metro) is a definite "Coke" spot.

"What do you want to drink?
-Coke
What kind?
-Sprite"

Though, as Dr. Pepper has a strangely large following in NorTex, I think I remember that being differentiated from the generic term, at least in some cases.

California seems to be a pretty universal "soda" state, from what I've seen (backed up by that map, apparently).

Surprised to see the PacNW in the Pop zone. Can you confirm @Dotini ?

The other strange anomaly is St Luis. Not sure why they are a soda region in a sea of coke and pop. Only thing I can think of is the great migration in the mid 20th century of blacks from the deep south. Which makes me think the "coke" dominance came after that point. It does seem like it could be a relic of the 1980s.

Last edited:
Fluffernutters are vile. I had a coworker from Maine who made some for a work pot luck and it was probably one of the grossest things I've ever tried out of sheer curiosity.

I'm not certain how inclined he is to stop by O&CE, but there's a fellow GTPer who I seem to recall swears by Fluffernutters. He also combines nacho cheese and strawberry sauce.

If you do happen to see this, just know I'm picking on you playfully.

:P

A good Elvis is ****ing awesome.

Things I enjoyed learning from the Nascar decision: there's a man named Bubba Wallace. He's a Nascar driver of all professions. He's black.

Latest Posts

Back