America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,723 comments
I'm honestly tired of your "Trumpism man" crap. I have to wear something similar to the picture at work sometimes. I'm sure you know why.
I don't like wearing the little stupid masks you see everyone wearing. They are hot and you're inhaling most of the same breath you blew out. Kinda sucks when you are a smoker too trying to breathe.
It doesn't have a dang thing to do with Trump.
I'm thinking you misinterpreted the post.

"'Normal people' think wearing a mask means you're a terrorist or are into sadomasochism." This first bit is a reference to the video posted above, with a nod to another's reductive reasoning utilized as an ad hominem against those with whom he disagrees, which is utilized on the basis that they don't support Trump. Mind you their actual political leanings aren't important when this ad hominem is used, as anyone who doesn't support Trump is thereby a leftist.

Next, a picture of three men who may or may not be terrorists (unlikely as it may be) and may or may not be into sadomasochism (and there isn't a ****ing thing wrong with it if they are, provided they engage in those activities with consenting adults), the posting of which was intended to illustrate that the wearing of masks isn't itself indicative of those behaviors.

Finally, "Trumpism, man" is a deliberately inflammatory remark which alludes to support for Trump either being the result of or resulting in an inability to think critically--as if to say that an individual disapproves of criticism of Trump solely on the basis that it's criticism of Trump. It's essentially the equal opposite of the "TDS" pejorative, which is invoked to dismiss criticism of Trump as being founded solely upon it being because of Trump, and not actually because of his rhetoric and/or policies.

They are hot and you're inhaling most of the same breath you blew out.

Not true, you're breathing your own flora (no harm there, you already have it), and you get new oxygen with every inhalation. Carbon dioxide passes out of the filters very easily.

They're hot, I'll give you that.

But the Trump 2020 team denied the online campaign had affected numbers.
What else did we expect? The alternative would've been for Trump to admit that he'd been outsmarted by a bunch of kids like it was the end of a Scooby-Doo episode. :lol:

I couldn't quite get all the way through your performance art video with the normal proud Trump Republican and her enormous "I"s. Sorry.

What else did we expect? The alternative would've been for Trump to admit that he'd been outsmarted by a bunch of kids like it was the end of a Scooby-Doo episode. :lol:
Zoinks! That hadn't occurred to me. I figured it'd be a welcome alternative to what is very likely a lack of interest; "Leftist, pro-Korea traitors wage war on freedom of speech."

I couldn't quite get all the way through your performance art video with the normal proud Trump Republican and her enormous "I"s. Sorry.
No apology necessary. The relevant bit is on the front end anyway.

It confuses me why we celebrate Columbus in America, he didn't do anything even remotely noteworthy for the US. The only part of what was to be US soil he ever touched was Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Sure, that's important and all, but he only found the Caribbean by accident. I'd be in favor of nixing all sorts of Columbus stuff in the US, mostly because schools like to teach that Columbus "found America" which is 100% untrue. Teach the history of his voyages, but don't make him out to be this famed explorer that found our landmass.

And even though it means one less paid day off for me, let's get rid of Columbus Day.

In other Columbus news, I fully support this:
Thousands sign petition to rename Columbus, Ohio to 'Flavortown' after native son Guy Fieri

I remember in 7th grade we went over all of the world explorers like Magellan and Ferdinand, all of those guys and where they want, what they discovered, and what they brought back with them to progress society. And then Columbus was his own thing because America? He should be lumped in with all of those guys and given no extra coverage. He's just another explorer

It confuses me why we celebrate Columbus in America, he didn't do anything even remotely noteworthy for the US. The only part of what was to be US soil he ever touched was Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Sure, that's important and all, but he only found the Caribbean by accident. I'd be in favor of nixing all sorts of Columbus stuff in the US, mostly because schools like to teach that Columbus "found America" which is 100% untrue. Teach the history of his voyages, but don't make him out to be this famed explorer that found our landmass.

And even though it means one less paid day off for me, let's get rid of Columbus Day.

In other Columbus news, I fully support this:
Thousands sign petition to rename Columbus, Ohio to 'Flavortown' after native son Guy Fieri
This sounds like it would be funkalicious or even crunchatacious. Instead of simply stopping celebrating something, it looks like these would-be Flavortoniains are instead electing to celebrate something else. That'll be tougher for opponents of the change to reverse.

I guess Columbia Pictures are going to have to change their name back to Sony now and ditch the Torch Lady again. Wherever will it end?! :lol::lol:

Last edited:
It confuses me why we celebrate Columbus in America, he didn't do anything even remotely noteworthy for the US.

100 years before the Mayflower.
200 years before flourishing colonies.
300 years before the American revolution.

It is a little bit strange. He has very, very, very little to do with the United States.

Most of the 'facts' about him aren't true either;

He didn't find America. He didn't prove the world was round. In fact, Columbus didn't even believe that the world was round. He thought it was pear-shaped, tapered at the top; this was a factor in his belief to his dying day that he had landed in India.

Even if the victims depicted are a factual inexactitude, this is still the best meme about Christopher Columbus.
po5vuj1mhu811.jpg

Also, FWIW, every depiction of Columbus is speculation. Although there are writings about his physical description, there are no known authentic paintings of him during his lifetime. The most well-known one, used for the above meme and in Danoff's video, was painted 13 years after his death.

Several paintings of him in scenes exist and each has a remarkably different look, as do numerous statues of, and memorials to, him.

Jon Stewart is funny...but he's wrong.

Unfortunately I've yet to have good non-big chain deep-dish here. Most of the good pizza joints that I've visited in St. Pete seem to follow the New York style.

He's completely wrong when it comes to hot dogs, though.

I miss good pizza :(

Detroit style is where it's at!

And yes, Stewart is wrong about the hot dogs. Chicago dogs are excellent, but I'm partial to coney dogs because Detroit.

Damn, we really do need a regional food thread to talk about this sort of stuff don't we?

Unfortunately I've yet to have good non-big chain deep-dish here. Most of the good pizza joints that I've visited in St. Pete seem to follow the New York style.

He's completely wrong when it comes to hot dogs, though.
I have to put pizza napoletana at the top, either Margherita or marinara, and Chicago-style battles it out with a white clam pizza for second. The fried crust of a Detroit-style is awesome, but it's too bready; I think I'd put New York above it.

A hot dog that's been dragged through the garden is awesome, but I love a Carolina dog provided the slaw isn't too sweet.

Damn, we really do need a regional food thread to talk about this sort of stuff don't we?
I think the distraction is good.

A hot dog that's been dragged through the garden is awesome, but I love a Carolina dog provided the slaw isn't too sweet.

I've never had a Carolina dog before, but anything with slaw and chili on it can't be bad.

Here in Utah, we have an unnamed style of hot dog that was popularized by a place called "Sportz Dog" along arguably "J. Dawgs" could've done it too. Basically, it's a split hot dog served on a Utah scone (aka semi-sweet flatbread) with a slice of pickle, onions, banana peppers, jalapenos, and "secret sauce" which is more or less fry sauce. It's not very good and the sweet, spicy, salty, and vinegary taste is not exactly appealing since they don't work well together in whatever balance they're in. I assume like most Utah food, you have to be Mormon to appreciate it.

And now I'm making hot dogs for dinner tonight.

I've never had a Carolina dog before, but anything with slaw and chili on it can't be bad.

Here in Utah, we have an unnamed style of hot dog that was popularized by a place called "Sportz Dog" along arguably "J. Dawgs" could've done it too. Basically, it's a split hot dog served on a Utah scone (aka semi-sweet flatbread) with a slice of pickle, onions, banana peppers, jalapenos, and "secret sauce" which is more or less fry sauce. It's not very good and the sweet, spicy, salty, and vinegary taste is not exactly appealing since they don't work well together in whatever balance they're in. I assume like most Utah food, you have to be Mormon to appreciate it.

And now I'm making hot dogs for dinner tonight.
It's been too long since I've had a really good hot dog. They haven't been bad, but the only time I get hot dogs is at barbecues--and those are pretty simple.

I used to make 10-15 trips a year to Chicago for an old job, and the hot dog I'd get on those trips was kind of the perfect interval between craving and burnout. Those Superdawg dogs were awesome with the perfect touch of heat and that pickled green tomato, and of course the other usual fixings. It was a meal.

A Carolina dog is fantastic with the "dry" chili (instead of a thin sauce, it's basically ground beef and chili veg/spices with just enough liquid to tie it all together), diced onion, spicy yellow mustard and slaw on top. The hot chili and cold slaw sort of mingle and it ends up being not as messy as you'd think. I don't like a chili dog but a Carolina dog is different.

Back