America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,723 comments
Detroit style is where it's at!

Oh man, I had Detroit-style for the first time back in December, and it was fantastic. It was also in Austin, so I guess I don't know how "authentic" it was, but it was... *chef's kiss*

A hot dog that's been dragged through the garden is awesome, but I love a Carolina dog provided the slaw isn't too sweet.

Chicago-style has long sat at the top of my hot dog list, but this Carolina things sounds pretty good. Think I'll have to track one down.

Oh man, I had Detroit-style for the first time back in December, and it was fantastic. It was also in Austin, so I guess I don't know how "authentic" it was,
There's a chain that does what I think may be a decent representation of a Detroit-style deep dish, except the crust isn't quite as fried and lacy as I like to see.

Chicago-style has long sat at the top of my hot dog list, but this Carolina things sounds pretty good. Think I'll have to track one down.
They're awesome, but a sweet slaw can ruin it (okay, so this is personal preference). You need a sturdy bun to pull it off, but it's actually nice to let it rest a few minutes so that some of the slaw dressing leeches into the chili and vise versa, with mustard and onion juices getting pulled in both directions.

Being forced to defend and attempt to rationalize Trump's lunacy per usual, press sec. Kayleigh McEnany McEnemy had claimed that Trump's comments at his rally on Saturday about Trump wanting to slow down testing in the US were just a joke and off-the-cuff. Then Trump disproves his own press secretary, claiming that he wasn't kidding about his remarks, and that the US has "the best testing anywhere in the world". Good ol' American exceptionalism.

There's a supermarket chain in the UK (M&S) which does Detroit-style pizza. Probably the closest I'm ever going to get in this relative culinary backwater.

SD_FD_F03C_00107044_NC_X_EC_90

Attachments

• SD_FD_F03C_00107044_NC_X_EC_90.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
If it's good, it shouldn't really matter that it's 100% faithful to the original. "Detroit-style" indicates that it's got a thick crust and is cooked in a deep, rectangular pan that's greased very liberally so that the dough fries crispy as the metal heats.

I had a Italian style (thin bottom, pretty much no crust) from Domino's today. Perfect Pepperoni with extra Gorgonzola. Ordered it in Huizen, a town over where a friend lives. That kitchen is 10 times better than the Domino's in my town, at home I tried Domino's once after tasting the Huizen's one. Never again. In Hilversum I order pizza from small business', but in Huizen, that Perfect Pepperoni is a top 3 pizza for me. Easy.

I had a Italian style (thin bottom, pretty much no crust) from Domino's today. Perfect Pepperoni with extra Gorgonzola. Ordered it in Huizen, a town over where a friend lives. That kitchen is 10 times better than the Domino's in my town, at home I tried Domino's once after tasting the Huizen's one. Never again. In Hilversum I order pizza from small business', but in Huizen, that Perfect Pepperoni is a top 3 pizza for me. Easy.
But this is the America thread, Dutchie.

/s

This is a great turn for the thread. We need more pizza fights. What toppings does everyone go to for homemade pizza? Mine are peppers and onions.

Pizza, best thing ya’ll discussed in this thread in a long time! :lol::cheers:
NYC to me has the best pizza.

:censored:Damn ya’ll, now I want pizza.

Disgusting. Columbus would be ashamed of you and your pizzas.
What would Columbus say if he was alive today?

"AAAAAAAHHHH!!! GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!

What toppings does everyone go to for homemade pizza?
I used to do Chicago-style with mozz, sausage and sauce, finished with parmesan and basil, but the only pizza I make anymore is grilled; olive oil, garlic, pinoli, pecorino and arugula.

This is a great turn for the thread. We need more pizza fights. What toppings does everyone go to for homemade pizza? Mine are peppers and onions.

I have two favorites:
- Pepperoni, Castelvetrano olives, and toasted pine nuts
- Sausage, black olives, onion (and usually some pepperoncini, though this is a matter of debate with the lady of the house)

Leftover bolognese on pizza, on top of whatever else you put on it normally, is unbelievable.

Especially when my bolognese is often oily as 🤬 with sausage meat added in it too.

I used to do deliveries for Domino's, we'd sometimes get free pizzas if the customer rejected it or they messed the order up, meatfielder always hit the spot.

Can I just say, I really do love how that pizza lands damn-near perfectly on top of that garage.

Food rivalry is one of the most American things I can think of, next to having disdain for our government and relentlessly teasing [insert preferred American car brand here].

The last time I made pizza (which was years ago) I went for Pepperroni, Sausage, onions, and a very poor attempt at garlic & butter crust. This thread in its current state really makes me want to try making a Chicago Deep-Dish pizza.

Okay, can we get back on topic now? Everytime I get an alert for this thread, I'm hopeful someone posted something relating to America and its' current events, but it's this same irrelevant BS.

Feel free to post something relating to America and its current events. Or turn off thread alerts.
I did, and no one responded. I'm not sure if it's because some of this thread's active participants have me on their ignore list, or it just got buried in all the pizza chat. Probably both.

Can I just say, I really do love how that pizza lands damn-near perfectly on top of that garage.
Yeah, I wonder if that was intentional and whether it took several takes or hit perfectly on the first try, or it was just a fluke and they realized they'd never capture a better moment.

Reminds me of this:

Back