America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,723 comments
Okay, can we get back on topic now? Everytime I get an alert for this thread, I'm hopeful someone posted something relating to America and its' current events, but it's this same irrelevant BS.

While we're on the topic of Officially Absolutely Anything At All To Do With America... we've covered pizza, but are there pasta dishes that Americans think of as more American than Italian?

I did, and no one responded. I'm not sure if it's because some of this thread's active participants have me on their ignore list, or it just got buried in all the pizza chat. Probably both.

Or, could it be that people are getting somewhat tired of the crap that is US politics and everything around it? We have plenty of threads where everyone is ******** on everything, making GTP a miserable place to be. This light hearted pizza chatter is better for everyone involved.

While we're on the topic of Officially Absolutely Anything At All To Do With America... we've covered pizza, but are there pasta dishes that Americans think of as more American than Italian?

Herr's Jalapeno crisps. Mentioned them before but good enough for a second mention. Currently searching for the Carolina Reaper crisps.

Spaghetti and meatballs. Canadians eat mac and cheese quite often, especially with garlic sausage on the side if you're from a province west of Ontario.

Last edited:

American Goulash is probably my favorite example of a “more American than Italian” pasta dish. There’s also quite a few casseroles that use pasta.

Than there’s Hamburger Helper, but I’m guessing you’re asking about actual food. :lol:

Than there’s Hamburger Helper, but I’m guessing you’re asking about actual food. :lol:
The mascot's name is Lefty. I have it on good authority that he actually has a brother, too--Norm.

*a-wink*

Gulas is Hungarian. They don't eat gulas in Italy. Where does the cross-Italian bit come on, addition of pasta? That sounds quite nice, actually.

Gulas is Hungarian. They don't eat gulas in Italy.

They definitely do. It's originally from Hungary (and one of their national dishes, obviously) but it's also a traditional dish in north-eastern parts of Italy which were once Austro-Hungarian.

American-Italian goulash does seem quite different though, but that's what's so fascinating about cuisine :D

If it's good, it shouldn't really matter that it's 100% faithful to the original. "Detroit-style" indicates that it's got a thick crust and is cooked in a deep, rectangular pan that's greased very liberally so that the dough fries crispy as the metal heats.

That sauce also needs to go on top of the cheese and toppings:
buddy-s-8-square-pepperoni.jpg

The pepperoni also needs to curl up like that and hold in grease.

Macaroni salad? I can't see that being anywhere else in the world other than America. It's more or less just mayo and macaroni with a bit of sour cream and celery bits in it. If you really want to get crazy you can add that awful imitation crab in it too.

Also, while not strictly American, Crawfish Monica is pretty good. Rotini pasta with crawfish, a ton of garlic, lots of butter, and creole seasoning. We have a food truck that occasionally comes by the office that sells in (along with other New Orleans food) and I always get a small bowl of it to go with whatever I'm getting.

That sauce also needs to go on top of the cheese and toppings:
buddy-s-8-square-pepperoni.jpg
That's...odd. Why? For Chicago-style, it makes sense to utilize the cheese as a moisture barrier, but Detroit-style is maybe only slightly saucier than New York and it's got that thick, bready crust.

Obvs. Thick cut, natural casing pepperoni is a must for spicy grease bowls.

Also, while not strictly American, Crawfish Monica is pretty good. Rotini pasta with crawfish, a ton of garlic, lots of butter, and creole seasoning. We have a food truck that occasionally comes by the office that sells in (along with other New Orleans food) and I always get a small bowl of it to go with whatever I'm getting.

That sounds good! A friend is landing some lobster this week (all being well), I might try this. I'm sure my Schwarz jar of Cajun Seasoning is almost exactly like the real thing (not), and I've only got fusili... but I'm going for it!

That sounds good! A friend is landing some lobster this week (all being well), I might try this. I'm sure my Schwarz jar of Cajun Seasoning is almost exactly like the real thing (not), and I've only got fusili... but I'm going for it!
You Brits just can't help ruining great dishes, can you?

I just checked, the "authentic" seasoning has garlic powder. Garlic. Powder. Pfffffft. :D
Garlic powder (granulated garlic is better) has a different flavor than fresh garlic. The dehydrated stuff takes on a flavor not entirely unlike that of roasted, and the allicin is virtually nonexistent. They're so different that good ranch dressing uses both.

Garlic powder (granulated garlic is better) has a different flavor than fresh garlic. The dehydrated stuff takes on a flavor not entirely unlike that of roasted, and the allicin is virtually nonexistent. They're so different that good ranch dressing uses both.

Interesting! I've always hated the taste... perhaps I need to go online a find a supplier from further afield than Tesco.

Interesting! I've always hated the taste... perhaps I need to go online a find a supplier from further afield than Tesco.
It needs to be used properly. It's not a seasoning that you sprinkle on top of something.

My wife hated it, but her mom made "garlic bread" with it and sprinkled it on pork chops before baking (baking, not roasting). Oh yeah, and canned green beans, she says.

Granulated garlic is a must for dry rubs for pork ribs, where it accompanies dried onion. It also works great in dipping sauces (particularly those that are mayo-, yogurt- or sour cream-based) provided you give it an opportunity to bloom.

Cincinnati Chili? :D

Herr's Jalapeno crisps. Mentioned them before but good enough for a second mention. Currently searching for the Carolina Reaper crisps.

If we're gonna bring chips into this, then I'm gonna steer you towards Zapp's. My favorites are their "Voodoo" (essentially a cross between salt & vinegar and BBQ) and "Cajun Dill Gator-Tators" (dill pickle with a little spicy kick) varieties.

When I was a younger lad, I would have wholeheartedly endorsed this statement. These days, all that extra grease just doesn't make my stomach happy. :boggled:

Currently searching for the Carolina Reaper
You must really like hot stuff!

Canadians eat mac and cheese quite often, especially with garlic sausage on the side if you're from a province west of Ontario.
That actually sounds pretty darn good! I'd actually cut it up and put it in the mac n cheese.

Last edited:
That's...odd. Why? For Chicago-style, it makes sense to utilize the cheese as a moisture barrier, but Detroit-style is maybe only slightly saucier than New York and it's got that thick, bready crust.

The original Detroit-style pizza, which came from Buddy's Pizza, was a modified version of a Sicilian sfincione that came from one of the owner's grandma. The sauce is put on top of the top to prevent it from soaking into the crust and making it all mushy.

Also, fun fact, Detroit pizza used to be cooked in automotive drip pans and in some places those pans are still used today.

The original Detroit-style pizza, which came from Buddy's Pizza, was a modified version of a Sicilian sfincione that came from one of the owner's grandma. The sauce is put on top of the top to prevent it from soaking into the crust and making it all mushy.
Okay, that still seems odd given the nature of the crust, but at least there is a reason for it.

Also, fun fact, Detroit pizza used to be cooked in automotive drip pans and in some places those pans are still used today.
That I did know, or at least I thought the steel pans were originally used to contain small parts and hardware on assembly lines.

I'd hope they were simply acquired from the same supplier and hadn't been used prior to being put into service in restaurants. But then you've got cornmeal hoecakes that were originally made on the business end of a cultivating tool over a wood fire.

No, seriously. If Charles Booker doesn't win the Kentucky Democratic primary, the future of democracy in this country is screwed.

This is one of the most scandalous cases of voter suppression in the US in recent years. Over 90% of Kentucky's polling locations are closed for this election. The entire city of Louisville (a majority Black area) has ONE polling location. That's it, just one. The line for this polling location was exorbitantly long, therefore many people in line wouldn't be able to vote in time. Charles Booker had requested to keep the Jefferson County (Louisville) polling location open until everyone in line was able to cast a vote, but of course his plea was denied. Yet voters in more rural parts of the state were able to cast their vote with no issue.

Here's a brief overview of the candidates, and why this election is so important. Charles Booker is a young Black man who is essentially running on Bernie Sanders' platform; fighting for universal healthcare and public college, Green New Deal, higher minimum wage, etc. His campaign is completely grassroots and he has received endorsements from Sanders, Warren, AOC, Pressley, and other progressives. His opponent is Amy McGrath, a middle-aged white woman who is also a Navy vet. Despite the fact that she's also running as a Democrat, there's nothing progressive about her. She has supported Republicans in the past, wants to "work with Republicans", and has said that Trump really isn't that bad. She opposes everything Booker is fighting for, is funded by corporate money, and has endorsements from the usual establishment Dems.

This election is so important since whoever wins the primary will be up against sen. Mitch McConnell. McConnell's popularity has fallen in Kentucky, as many are realizing he's done nothing for the state and is just another establishment hack, and there's a serious chance he could be voted out. That's why Booker needs to win this primary. A progressive like him is far more likely to sway undecided voters and defeat Mitch than yet another establishment candidate running a moderate platform.

Not all votes have been counted, but the polls between McGrath and Booker are quite close. If Booker loses, there's going to be mass turmoil. People are going to take to the streets to protest the evident voter suppression that disproportionately targets Black areas, and even Booker's own campaign says they will call on the Supreme Court to look it over to see if voter suppression can be proven, forcing a re-election.

Back